Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

HC possibilities - Cowher is the current flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to really despise Bob McNair. Thanks for bringing a team to Houston, but you're a crappy owner if you would keep this coach again. Seriously. We don't even have to get Cowher, but we need a new direction.

I try not to be extreme but this is a feeling I've seen from many. This is the point, whether he has football owning skills or not, that he needs to reach out to the big names and say "I want to start winning and will get you what you need." You have to take that shot and show the fan base you will take that shot. You have to be able to face rejection and at least know. Just waiting and sitting on your hands for another incremental difference is assinine.

I'm starting to really despise Bob McNair. Thanks for bringing a team to Houston, but you're a crappy owner if you would keep this coach again. Seriously. We don't even have to get Cowher, but we need a new direction.

It's funny how he thinks Kubiak deserves another year. It's even funnier how that year coincides with the final year of Kubiak's contract.

We keep hearing about how McNair wants to see W's, but I don't see any evidence that he's willing to pay the price for W's.

From the radio show...no link.....

That same little birdie also told him that we could expect Kubiak to stay even if he only wins 2 more games and goes 7-9. McNair thinks that the losses are really on the players.

He also said that McNair is one of the owners that wants to get player compensation under control. Couple that with his aversion to pay a big name coach....

Are we really sure that McNair isn't cheap?

of course he is cheap. he has been cheap for going on 8 years...but don't tell that to the McNair people who act like he donated the money to buy the Texans.

I'm starting to really despise Bob McNair.
Hold your horses. The stuff from 1560 is just heresay. McNair has not said for sure that Kubiak is or isn't coming back. He won't until the season ends. I've always found the Texans willing to bend over to please the fans. I can't see him keeping Kubiak with such a groundswell to replace him. Besides, what McNair is saying privately now could change by 1/4/2010.

Hold your horses. The stuff from 1560 is just heresay. McNair has not said for sure that Kubiak is or isn't coming back. He won't until the season ends. I've always found the Texans willing to bend over to please the fans. I can't see him keeping Kubiak with such a groundswell to replace him. Besides, what McNair is saying privately now could change by 1/4/2010.
agreed. Let's let Bob's actions define him. He's really never been in this kind of a position and there is no reason to despise McNair on speculation. If you didn't despise him when we were 5-3 there is no reason to do it now. The Casserly-Capers situation was obvious since there was widespread incompetency.

Personally, I think the peter principle is in play here with Kubiak. It's gotta be a tough place for the owner.

Sorry to keep this thread going but the idea just popped into my head. If Cowher were to come to Houston, do you believe Dick Lebeau would come here also? If so, that makes me want Cowher all the more. Sure Dick Lebeau runs the 3-4 Zone Blitz, but I believe he is a good enough coordinator to smooth over the transition.

You got guys like Hampton saying he would come to Houston if Cowher did, and if Dick Lebeau comes with the package then why would you not want this deal? To me, the fact that more talent in players and staff would come, would make Cowher a much more sufficient coaching hire than anybody else we are talking about.

Didn't want to start a new thread, and since my question ties into the coaching situation...

610 was saying this morning that at the roast of Johnny Mac that Bum Phillips apparently went into a speech that started changing minds towards keeping Kubiak. I missed what was said so would anyone know what was said or have a link to it? Apparently, it was a pretty good arguement for Kubiak.

I'm too lazy to start a new thread also. I was talking to a friend of mine who is ex pro ball player, and we were talking about how the media and fans were naturally calling for Kubiak's head. He used to play for the Steelers, Oilers, and the Dolphins. When I mentioned Cowher, he shook his head and said "be careful what you wish for. He'll bring his own people in, he'll get rid of most of the players, and announce he wants to build his own team, and he'll want 4 to 5 years to buld it."

He says, "Are you SURE that's who you want?" I laughed and said I no longer gave a ****, which I don't.

I'm too lazy to start a new thread also. I was talking to a friend of mine who is ex pro ball player, and we were talking about how the media and fans were naturally calling for Kubiak's head. He used to play for the Steelers, Oilers, and the Dolphins. When I mentioned Cowher, he shook his head and said "be careful what you wish for. He'll bring his own people in, he'll get rid of most of the players, and announce he wants to build his own team, and he'll want 4 to 5 years to buld it."

He says, "Are you SURE that's who you want?" I laughed and said I no longer gave a ****, which I don't.
How the hell can your buddy "know" this brilliant info? For your information, Cowher has only been a Head Coach for one team (for 15 seasons at that). He took a mediocre 7-9 Steeler team and went 11-5 after the Steelers had missed the playoffs six times out of the previous seven years. Cowher is only the second coach in NFL history to lead his team to the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach.

How the hell can your buddy "know" this brilliant info? For your information, Cowher has only been a Head Coach for one team (for 15 seasons at that). He took a mediocre 7-9 Steeler team and went 11-5 after the Steelers had missed the playoffs six times out of the previous seven years. Cowher is only the second coach in NFL history to lead his team to the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach.

He thinks that Cowher doesn't think there are any leaders among the players, which is why he'd want this own, which is why it won't be fixed overnite. Hey, it's just his opinion about what he's thinking.

He thinks that Cowher doesn't think there are any leaders among the players, which is why he'd want this own, which is why it won't be fixed overnite. Hey, it's just his opinion about what he's thinking.

At first it sounded like a pro-Kubiak spin (first post), but then I read this (second post) and, intentional or not, it is yet another knock against our current head coach.

Just because Cowher doesnt think this team doesnt have leaders means he would have to dismantle the whole team and start over? Thats just retarded. His conclusions would lead me to beleive he suffered alot of cuncussions when he played.

Didn't want to start a new thread, and since my question ties into the coaching situation...

610 was saying this morning that at the roast of Johnny Mac that Bum Phillips apparently went into a speech that started changing minds towards keeping Kubiak. I missed what was said so would anyone know what was said or have a link to it? Apparently, it was a pretty good arguement for Kubiak.

Yeh but Bud and Kubiak are freinds. Plus you have to think about how Bums career went. He was that coach that was always so close but just never got there.

At first it sounded like a pro-Kubiak spin (first post), but then I read this (second post) and, intentional or not, it is yet another knock against our current head coach.

Nice catch! :) And so true.

Cower will not be in Texans locker room

Gary Kubiak has taken a team that could not win against the Katy Tigers and got them to a level where we compete with every team in the league.
He will have one more year to prove his ability and take us to the promise land.
It is easy to forget 2 and 14 but it is still in our history so get ready for 1 more year and one hell of a playoff run. Remember the Superbowl is in Cowboys Stadium and I want to win that so bad I can taste it. So all you soap crazy couch coaches put the soap back in the shower and lets get behind this team like Luv Ya Blue.

Last edited:

Gary Kubiak has taken a team that could not win against the Katy Tigers and got them to a level where we compete with every team in the league.
He will have one more year to prove his ability and take us to the promise land.
It is easy to forget 2 and 14 but it is still in our history so get ready for 1 more year and one hell of a playoff run. Remember the Superbowl is in Cowboys Stadium and I want to win that so bad I can taste it. So all you soap crazy couch coaches put the soap back in the shower and lets get behind this team like Luv Ya Blue.

fixed it for you

It is easy to forget 2 and 12 but it is still in our history so get ready for 1 more year and one hell of a playoff run. Remember the Superbowl is in Cowboys Stadium and I want to win that so bad I can taste it. So all you soap crazy couch coaches put the soap back in the shower and lets get behind this team like Luv Ya Blue.

Sorry I cant get behind a coach that coaches a team that cant win in its own division, cant win with their backs to the wall, has multiple players making multiple mistakes at critcal times and doesnt have enough faith in his own decisions to watch the outcome. Or a coach that hasnt improved his abilities as a coach in 4 years. After 4 years Kubiak still has game preperation issues, game management issues, personell decision issues, clock management issues and is 16-28 in games that we werent eliminated from the playoffs.

If you would like to put down you're pom poms and debate this I will be glad accomadate you, if not why dont you take the soap and put it in your stink hole to stop the smell of that stuff you are so full of.

Well now you need to take the soap and wash your mouth out. You can spew all the vomit you want but the last word is Bobs and we will see won't we. Give up your tickets if he stays or do you even have tickets. We will be right where we want to be next year and that is without a the change your Spewing which will push us back 2 to 4 years. All you soap droppers need to realize that taking an expansion team into the heart of the NFL takes time and Gary will show improvement and convince Bob that we will get there next year and after that we will stay on top of our division for a long time. You Couch Coaches have no patientce So I am glad your on the couch.

Well now you need to take the soap and wash your mouth out. You can spew all the vomit you want but the last word is Bobs and we will see won't we. Give up your tickets if he stays or do you even have tickets. We will be right where we want to be next year and that is without a the change your Spewing which will push us back 2 to 4 years. All you soap droppers need to realize that taking an expansion team into the heart of the NFL takes time and Gary will show improvement and convince Bob that we will get there next year and after that we will stay on top of our division for a long time. You Couch Coaches have no patientce So I am glad your on the couch.

I figured you would stick with the pom poms. :brando:

Nice Avatar It reflects you football decisions perfectly

What are you like 8? Is that all you got? I understand, its gotto be hard to post something of substance when you are working with limited tools. Maybe if you put down the pom poms and concentrated real hard maybe you could come up with a somewhat intelligent opinion. Of course asking someone with your limitations to actually put that is words is like asking a 2nd grader to explain how applying the principle of general relativity to our cosmos reveals that it is not static.
:kitten:
Come back when you are more than a fluff poster.

Last edited:
lets look at it this way how many superbowls did cower win.how long did it take him to do it.if we stick with kubiak that long we will win one,we might have the same odds.

lets look at it this way how many superbowls did cower win.how long did it take him to do it.if we stick with kubiak that long we will win one,we might have the same odds.

That is terrible logic. Thats like saying if I look into a mirror long enough I'll turn in to Brad Pitt.

If there is a change I would wrather have an offensive guy at the helm. I believe defensive coordinators turned head coaches doesnt work out too often.
If you dont want to blow up system hire Shannahan Sr.
If you want to adjust the system and bring an offensive mind Brian Billick.
IF you want an over hyped HC who will try to recreate his past success without Dick labeau then hire Cowher.
If you want to destroy your franchise in the long term for short term sucess hire Jon Gruden.

If you want to take the chance on another rookie head coach why fire Kubiak because as we have seen that no one on here has patience to go through another year of coaching baby steps..And our luck would have it we get a mangini type coach and not a Mike (thank God I got Labeau here) Tomlin.

If a change must be made i vote for Billick. and hire Wade Phillips ac DC.

If there is a change I would wrather have an offensive guy at the helm. I believe defensive coordinators turned head coaches doesnt work out too often.
If you dont want to blow up system hire Shannahan Sr.
If you want to adjust the system and bring an offensive mind Brian Billick.
IF you want an over hyped HC who will try to recreate his past success without Dick labeau then hire Cowher.
If you want to destroy your franchise in the long term for short term sucess hire Jon Gruden.

If you want to take the chance on another rookie head coach why fire Kubiak because as we have seen that no one on here has patience to go through another year of coaching baby steps..And our luck would have it we get a mangini type coach and not a Mike (thank God I got Labeau here) Tomlin.

If a change must be made i vote for Billick. and hire Wade Phillips ac DC.
You think Shanny would take over for his buddy Kubiac? I don't.

From the radio show...no link.....

That same little birdie also told him that we could expect Kubiak to stay even if he only wins 2 more games and goes 7-9. McNair thinks that the losses are really on the players.

He also said that McNair is one of the owners that wants to get player compensation under control. Couple that with his aversion to pay a big name coach....

Are we really sure that McNair isn't cheap?

So do I.

i was suggesting it could open up a large can of worms that (if it were to happen, although it appears it will not) could effect our coaching situation

Cowher is not going to be coming here. Rivera or someone else who is a star coordinator is. Bill Mcnair should be more focused on signing the big free agent.

The "Infallible" Chris Brown fumbles!

Why do I get the feeling the Texans are gonna choke this game away?

ESPN reports that Bill Cowher WILL return to coaching in 2010. Likely landing spots include Carolina or Tampa Bay. A vacancy in Houston is not expected.

Don't know why you guys want to play this game, but, since I'm BORED this morning, can I play along???

WHEN Kubiak goes, Kyle Shannahan will become the next HC of the Texans! BET ON IT!! Bob is loyal to a fault, and the Texans seem to be a training ground for coaches that wanna move up the latter. JMO!

If the Texans finish 9-7 he might even get an extension.

:slapfight:

He won't get an extension until he makes the playoffs. If they sneak in this year, he'll get a short extension. If not, he'll be here one more year and will get a new contract at the end of next season if he makes the playoffs. The length of the extension will depend on how deep into the playoff he takes us.

I'm not disappointed that he's coming back. I think he's going to be a great HC. I just hope it happens HERE and happens NOW (think Tony Dungy). Not somewhere else 5 years down the road.

And as far as Lil' Shanny is concerned, expect him to get a promotion to AHC/OC at the end of this season to prevent him from going with his dad to Washington. I hope he becomes our Jim Caldwell and sticks around with Kubiak until Kubiak retires and then Kyle can take over. I don't see it happening, though, because I think someone will be giving Kyle a shot at HC in the next 3-5 years because of Josh McDaniels' success.

Twenty Super Bowl victories won by former defensive coordinators turned head coach:

Tom Landry (won two times)
Don Shula (won two times)
Chuck Noll (won four times)
John Madden
Bill Parcells (won two times)
Jimmy Johnson (won two times)
George Seifert (won two times)
Bill Cowher
Bill Belichick (won three times)
Mike Tomlin

Status
Not open for further replies.