Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hard Knocks: Houston Texans 2015

The blackball theory holds up precisely because NOBODY is signing Rice.

It's a him specific thing due to his very unique circumstances.

This exactly. It's the most damning thing about it that nobody is giving him a shot. Teams that need help at RB who stick to only the "angels" whenever possible and teams that give guys who haven't been so nice another chance all are ignoring him. The Steelers just signed Vick so they're obviously not on some "Must have a perfect history" trip and they play in the same division as the Ravens. Seems like they'd be a good candidate to sign him to spell and back up LeVeon Bell, particularly since he's going to miss the first two games.

Not interested. Makes no sense unless he's just being purposely ignored into retirement..... which I have no problem with. He made his bed. I really wish McNair had just said "Look, I can't see a person who did this wearing the colors of the team I founded. I don't want him. I hope he has gotten his life together and wish him well going forward but that's not something the Houston Texans will be involved with" and then move on to the next question.

This exactly. It's the most damning thing about it that nobody is giving him a shot. Teams that need help at RB who stick to only the "angels" whenever possible and teams that give guys who haven't been so nice another chance all are ignoring him. The Steelers just signed Vick so they're obviously not on some "Must have a perfect history" trip and they play in the same division as the Ravens. Seems like they'd be a good candidate to sign him to spell and back up LeVeon Bell, particularly since he's going to miss the first two games.

Not interested. Makes no sense unless he's just being purposely ignored into retirement..... which I have no problem with. He made his bed. I really wish McNair had just said "Look, I can't see a person who did this wearing the colors of the team I founded. I don't want him. I hope he has gotten his life together and wish him well going forward but that's not something the Houston Texans will be involved with" and then move on to the next question.

Why is it so important that he says No Thank You in that way as opposed to the way he said it?

Why is it so important that he says No Thank You in that way as opposed to the way he said it?

It's the difference between saying something of substance that you really believe and saying something that's patently silly when everyone listening knows exactly why you really won't do it. I probably should have learned long ago that no NFL owner is ever going to speak plainly so I guess it's no big deal.

It's the difference between saying something of substance that you really believe and saying something that's patently silly when everyone listening knows exactly why you really won't do it. I probably should have learned long ago that no NFL owner is ever going to speak plainly so I guess it's no big deal.

Well, NFL owners have lawyers telling them that "speaking plainly" is the fast tract to the courtroom.

If he is a good Christian like he claims, yes. Says it right there in his magical book.

I get what you're implying, but I have never read anything that Jesus taught that indicates that you should make potentially bad business decisions based on those principles.

I'm sure McNair has no animosity toward Rice in his heart and most likely forgives him for his transgressions. However, this is not personal, it's business, and McNair has an obligation to his company and this city that he must consider before making such a decision.

Besides, I doubt it is McNair's decision to make. I'm sure if Rick Smith and O'Brien really wanted Rice to try out, he'd be in camp.

And it is well known in the NFL that RBs are a throwaway position. Use them up and discard. Lather, rinse, repeat. I get conspiracy theories, but I have a hard time believing that all 32 teams are on board blackballing a single player. There would be at least one maverick team to give him a shot if they believed it made them better. Y'all are better off investigating the mysterious collapse of building 7 if you really need to get your conspiracy fix on.

To a lot of people it would be nice to hear the real truth behind the answer but McNair surely can't say it out loud if the speculation is true. I don't have a problem with his response.

All I know is that if he had answered "Fvck No" Marshall would have absolutely lost his **** on here.

Rice will be signed when his
The blackball theory holds up precisely because NOBODY is signing Rice.

It's a him specific thing due to his very unique circumstances.
I've read that Rice won't be signed until after the season starts because of guarantees of some type. Not a cap guy, so not familiar with the particulars. But won't be with Texans.

Rice will be signed when his

I've read that Rice won't be signed until after the season starts because of guarantees of some type. Not a cap guy, so not familiar with the particulars. But won't be with Texans.

If he is on the roster day 1 his salary is fully guaranteed. If he is signed on day 2 he can be cut at any time without a penny morw.

Well, NFL owners have lawyers telling them that "speaking plainly" is the fast tract to the courtroom.

Bull.

I think someone will sign Rice after the season starts too but not for any cap or salary related reason. He'll be signed because that one Maverick owner does exist (of that I'm certain). He's just not desperate enough yet for RB help. I suppose it's possible that if the right owner's team never ends up needing him then he'll sit all year and maybe from here on out.

It could happen.

I think someone will sign Rice after the season starts too but not for any cap or salary related reason. He'll be signed because that one Maverick owner does exist (of that I'm certain). He's just not desperate enough yet for RB help. I suppose it's possible that if the right owner's team never ends up needing him then he'll sit all year and maybe from here on out.

It could happen.

Al Davis passed away a while ago. Idk of any other maverick owners.

I get what you're implying, but I have never read anything that Jesus taught that indicates that you should make potentially bad business decisions based on those principles.

I'm sure McNair has no animosity toward Rice in his heart and most likely forgives him for his transgressions. However, this is not personal, it's business, and McNair has an obligation to his company and this city that he must consider before making such a decision.

Besides, I doubt it is McNair's decision to make. I'm sure if Rick Smith and O'Brien really wanted Rice to try out, he'd be in camp.

And it is well known in the NFL that RBs are a throwaway position. Use them up and discard. Lather, rinse, repeat. I get conspiracy theories, but I have a hard time believing that all 32 teams are on board blackballing a single player. There would be at least one maverick team to give him a shot if they believed it made them better. Y'all are better off investigating the mysterious collapse of building 7 if you really need to get your conspiracy fix on.

So there's a particularly good reason Dallas hasn't even brought him I for a look?

In your opinion, why hasn't Jerrah brought Rice in for a visit yet?

Maybe Jerrah, like every other GM in the league, is looking at Rice's last year in the league's production and just doesn't think that looking at him is worth the reps in TC for guys already on the squad. Especially for the PR hit. Just a guess on my part.

Jerry was who I was thinking of. He's not desperate enough yet. He'd do it. Rex in Buffalo would badger his owner into doing it. I think there are probably 2-3 other teams that in the right situation might still do it. Like I said I believe it only depends on whether a team with an owner who would do it also needs to bring in another RB. They'd also probably have to need one AND think they were within reach of the playoffs. Davis's son in Oakland might do it. Snyder might do it. I could see him signing with Tampa Bay too if the stars lined up just right.

On this we can agree. I personally think the Texans should sign the guy. Everybody screws up, and everyone deserves a seconds chance. If Uncle Bob considers himself a Christian, he has a duty to turn the other cheek and give the guy another chance. But it's clear he won't. Typical part time Christian.
Take it elsewhere to speak in ignorance. Goose/Gander.

So there's a particularly good reason Dallas hasn't even brought him I for a look?

In your opinion, why hasn't Jerrah brought Rice in for a visit yet?

Occam's razor, man. He's an old RB, and in the NFL, not many of them have much tread left on the tires. It's just a matter of time before someone gives those tires a kick, but I would not be surprised if he's tried out and not signed because of the inherent degradation of skills at the position over time.

You can go through here and see there is no shortage of teams that sign criminals.

Now, I'm sure there is a calculus involved that you better to be able to play well, or they aren't taking that chance, but if teams thought Rice had enough to be good, he'd be signed.

You can go through here and see there is no shortage of teams that sign criminals.

Now, I'm sure there is a calculus involved that you better to be able to play well, or they aren't taking that chance, but if teams thought Rice had enough to be good, he'd be signed.

How many of them are on videotape knocking a woman the f'k out, lied to the league and their team and had the controversy over their punishment he did?

The black eye the league got from Rice is 100 times worse than anyone on that list.

People on that list killed other people and were let back into the game. Ray Rice didn't even serve a day in jail.

It's really simple for the team that signs him. "Janay forgave him. If she can do that, we think he deserves a second chance."

People on that list killed other people and were let back into the game.

Who are you talking about?

It's really simple for the team that signs him. "Janay forgave him. If she can do that, we think he deserves a second chance."

You seem to have a hard time distinguishing 'could do' from 'are doing.' Yeah, a team 'could' do that. They aren't.

Who are you talking about?

Donte Stallworth, Ray Carruth, Leonard Little, and Josh Brent immediately come to mind. There's certainly an argument, since we are talking about public perception, for Ray Lewis.

You seem to have a hard time distinguishing 'could do' from 'are doing.' Yeah, a team 'could' do that. They aren't.

Right, because they don't think that Ray Rice can play at a level that would justify his salary.

Donte Stallworth, Ray Carruth, Leonard Little, and Josh Brent immediately come to mind. There's certainly an argument, since we are talking about public perception, for Ray Lewis.

Sorry but traffic accidents don't rank with knocking women out.

Carruth is in jail. How the hell does that show the NFL accepting criminals?

Brent went back to his team he was under contract with. Again says nothing about signing criminals. Same with Little. Same with Lewis.

Four strikes, you're out.

Right, because they don't think that Ray Rice can play at a level that would justify his salary.

So says you.

Last edited:
Sorry but traffic accidents don't rank with knocking women out.

Wait, let me verify what you're saying here...

Getting drunk and knocking someone out with your fist is MORE of a big deal than getting drunk and killing someone with your car?

No wonder I don't understand your line of thinking.

Getting drunk and knocking someone out with your fist is MORE of a big deal than getting drunk and killing someone with your car?

Seriously, the rest of the world sees a male professional athlete take out his physical rage on his wife, becoming a lightning rod for the domestic abuse issues prevalent in professional sports AND the black community, and to you it is just someone getting drunk and knocking someone else out? Talk about not understanding your line of thinking...

Unfortunately, that is true when one is on Video and the other isn't. Unfortunately, murder by intoxicated still seems more acceptable than other less PC actions taken while intoxicated. It's better than it used to be thanks to MADD.

Of course suggesting self control in the use of alcohol will get me on most of the boards bad side just like self control using language.

I overstated that. But I think there is perception gap even if maybe there shouldn't be. Stallworth and Brent served their time for what many regard as an unintentional act. Rice got off with nothing for what many consider an unconscionable intentional act. Please with the 'someone' crud. It was a woman and you know damn well that makes a difference.

And it's not just the nature of the offense. I gave a whole list of reasons why Rice is unique. Goodell wasn't even commissioner for Little and Lewis - it's a different era.

Ok, let me ask this...

If the "public" is so against Ray Rice, how come it runs about 9:1 in favor of signing him here if he could play?

Ok, let me ask this...

If the "public" is so against Ray Rice, how come it runs about 9:1 in favor of signing him here if he could play?

Who said the public was against him? Said the owners are against him. He embarrassed the league and one of their teams. Folks were calling for the commissioner's head. There was an independent investigation. It cost them millions. It was kind of a big and unique deal.

On this we can agree. I personally think the Texans should sign the guy. Everybody screws up, and everyone deserves a seconds chance. If Uncle Bob considers himself a Christian, he has a duty to turn the other cheek and give the guy another chance. But it's clear he won't. Typical part time Christian.
Your saying it's Bob McNair's religious duty to give Ray 3 yards per carry Rice another shot at the NFL? Is this a serious question?

Exactly. Look at the goof that broke Geno Smith's jaw. Granted there is no tape of the incident and it was man on man crime, but the dude knocked his own teammate out. He hurt (debatable) his own team and it cost him his job. The idiot was out of work for 1 day. Why? Because the Bills think he can play and Rex wants to rub the Jets' noses in it. What I'm saying is there are far worse offenses than the one Ray Rice committed but others get a second chance because they are still considered serviceable players. I believe Rice is washed up and apparently other teams think so to.

Would like to see some extended airtime of Vrabel coaching up the LBs...

hardknocks3_vrabel.jpg

I still find myself wondering if we should issue him a helmet and pads. :bat:

Am I the only one that thinks they should try james at returning kicks? He's got the right attitude, the speed and shiftyness. I think we should put him back there and let's see if he has the vision.

Am I the only one that thinks they should try james at returning kicks? He's got the right attitude, the speed and shiftyness. I think we should put him back there and let's see if he has the vision.

Because he doesn't have the speed of a Chandler Worthy.

Your saying it's Bob McNair's religious duty to give Ray 3 yards per carry Rice another shot at the NFL? Is this a serious question?

I was mocking the self righteous attitude of McNair towards the Rice Fiasco. I am an Atheist. I couldn't care less what his religious duty is. It remains to be seen what his YPC could be if tried out. The fact the guy cannot even get a tryout says a lot, and not about his perceived talent decline. I fully understand why he has not be signed as of yet because of the salary guarantee. But am amazed no one has at least worked him out.

If folks want to talk about religious obligations or lack there of for redemption in the NFL, start a thread in the NSZ.

As stated above. I was not trying to start a discussion on what McNair's religious obligations were. It was meant in a mocking fashion, not in a serious manner.

I was mocking the self righteous attitude of McNair towards the Rice Fiasco. I am an Atheist. I couldn't care less what his religious duty is. It remains to be seen what his YPC could be if tried out. The fact the guy cannot even get a tryout says a lot, and not about his perceived talent decline. I fully understand why he has not be signed as of yet because of the salary guarantee. But am amazed no one has at least worked him out.

As stated above. I was not trying to start a discussion on what McNair's religious obligations were. It was meant in a mocking fashion, not in a serious manner.[/QUOTE

As stated above. I was not trying to start a discussion on what McNair's religious obligations were. It was meant in a mocking fashion, not in a serious manner.
If you cannot bring it up, then mocking is/should also be prohibited. You're just trying to get me in trouble again with snide comments. Lets rumble in the NSZ.

Preview pics...

tempIMG_1306--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempIMG_1299--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

#DQStrong

Q is and, as I have posted in the past, will continue to undergo chemotherapy for 2 years (and this is anticipating no recurrence of his disease)..............during which his immunity will be reduced. Not a good situation in which to sustain any significant trauma to the body.

I'm going to miss hard knocks tonight. Hope it's good when I watch a replay.

Edit: Whelp, plans rescheduled for Thursday, looks like I'll make it after all

Last edited:
Back