Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Hard Knocks: Houston Texans 2015

They're getting progressively better.

I enjoy seeing the no-names getting more camera time.

And I agree, didn't need to see Cush yak all four times.

Vince Wilfork full frontal nudity....

I enjoy seeing the no-names getting more camera time.

Sometimes you have to wonder about the mindset that goes into the decision to include that in the 55 minutes. Evidently people DO want to see it, or they wouldn't show it. :crazy:

As for Cush, man . . take it to a bucket on the sidelines.

Sometimes you have to wonder about the mindset that goes into the decision to include that in the 55 minutes. Evidently people DO want to see it, or they wouldn't show it. :crazy:

It generates buzz. People talking about how much they didn't need to see Brian Cushing throw up 4 times are still people talking about Hard Knocks.

I like the dumbfounded defensive line coach who was at a loss for words watching JJ on film. "Excellent... Excellent."

I'm glad O'Brien recognizes Polk's potential. He could take the starting role from Blue.

I was expecting time with O'Brien's son in episode 1 as a way to get to know the coach, but it made sense to wait until his birthday. Good segment.

Overall, I'm impressed with the HBO production crew. The camera guys get some fantastic shots, and at least one of them has an artistic eye. The editing is already good, but getting it done in such a short period is amazing. I may have to watch this show every year.

Am I the only one who didn't know they were trying out Charles James at running back?

I'm not a coach but if I was Charles James could play for me any day. Really hope he makes the team.

Couldn't agree more. Filling the back of the lineup with guys like James who 'get it' can and will change games. I know you're always looking to put the best 22 on the field, but versatile and hard working players to round out the team such as Charles James, James Casey, Brian Braman, etc ... I would try really hard to make sure they didn't leave.

Pat Starr tweeted during the show that it was during the practice they weren't allowed to comment on.

So, I guess that means they want to keep him, but they don't want to cut one of the corners to do it??

They sure are.

Not to sound all film school here, but the point isn't to just inform you that he puked. They're making a film, so they want to convey an experience. That's exactly why the camera stayed on O'Brien for a long shot as he walked down the hall instead of the reactions of Hoyer and Mallett after the QB announcement. If you want information, you cut to Hoyer and Mallett. The creative choice is to end the episode on a candid moment with the interesting character. Hard Knocks wants to immerse you in a training camp within 55 minutes, so the camera stays on puke, a star player's extra reps after practice, and a coach who keeps on walking after a tough decision.

Not to sound all film school here, but the point isn't to just inform you that he puked. They're making a film, so they want to convey an experience. That's exactly why the camera stayed on O'Brien for a long shot as he walked down the hall instead of the reactions of Hoyer and Mallett after the QB announcement. If you want information, you cut to Hoyer and Mallett. The creative choice is to end the episode on a candid moment with the interesting character. Hard Knocks wants to immerse you in a training camp within 55 minutes, so the camera stays on puke, extra reps after practice, and a coach who keeps on walking after a tough decision.

That is almost to a tee what I told a buddy of mine about the final shot of OB down the hallway at the end. They're trying to capture those uncomfortable moments that arise in real life that aren't so easily tucked away by just cutting the scene like in a scripted drama. It's just that extra pause to almost force the viewer process what they just saw. That lingering. It reminds the viewer that these sports superheroes are just like you and me after all. Hard Knocks absolutely nails this.

Not to sound all film school here, but the point isn't to just inform you that he puked. They're making a film, so they want to convey an experience. That's exactly why the camera stayed on O'Brien for a long shot as he walked down the hall instead of the reactions of Hoyer and Mallett after the QB announcement. If you want information, you cut to Hoyer and Mallett. The creative choice is to end the episode on a candid moment with the interesting character. Hard Knocks wants to immerse you in a training camp within 55 minutes, so the camera stays on puke, a star player's extra reps after practice, and a coach who keeps on walking after a tough decision.

That is almost to a tee what I told a buddy of mine about the final shot of OB down the hallway at the end. They're trying to capture those uncomfortable moments that arise in real life that aren't so easily tucked away by just cutting the scene like in a scripted drama. It's just that extra pause to almost force the viewer process what they just saw. That lingering. It reminds the viewer that these sports superheroes are just like you and me after all. Hard Knocks absolutely nails this.

Very good observations!!

agxf01.gif

They are obviously appealing to a Middle School mindset with the grossness and language. But I suppose that immature mindset continues throughout adulthood for many. The long running series "South Park" attests to that.

I like the dumbfounded defensive line coach who was at a loss for words watching JJ on film. "Excellent... Excellent."

I'm glad O'Brien recognizes Polk's potential. He could take the starting role from Blue.

I was expecting time with O'Brien's son in episode 1 as a way to get to know the coach, but it made sense to wait until his birthday. Good segment.

Overall, I'm impressed with the HBO production crew. The camera guys get some fantastic shots, and at least one of them has an artistic eye. The editing is already good, but getting it done in such a short period is amazing. I may have to watch this show every year.
Polk has to stay healthy to do that, something he hasn't been able to do very well so far in his career. I like the potential also, though.

They are obviously appealing to a Middle School mindset with the grossness and language. But I suppose that immature mindset continues throughout adulthood for many. The long running series "South Park" attests to that.

You really don't get it. They wouldn't have anything to show if they omitted everything with cussing.

Am I the only one who didn't know they were trying out Charles James at running back?

I thought I posted something about that, but looks like I missed doing so. I just assumed they needed a practice body because of depth/injury issues.

Looks to me like they're trying hard to find a position for CJIII other than Special Teams. I'm not sure he makes it as a DB without injuries.

Fantastic camera work, I was laughing out loud at that face.

Doesn't it get repeated on NFL Network like a week after with bleeps? Wouldn't you be better off watching that @Marshall instead of getting all wound up by the HBO running?

Yeah you can watch a bleep fest. My point was Marshall is out of touch. There's nothing Middle School about it and HBO isn't highlighting the cussing. Cussing is common adult behavior and is endemic from HC to ball boy in the NFL.

Also, how about Quintin Demps coming off the couch running a 4.48, showing up in a suit for his meeting with Rick, and then making plays right off the bat in practice and in the game. Business.

Which from a quick search is him running the same at 30 years old as he did coming out of college .

Also, how about Quintin Demps coming off the couch running a 4.48, showing up in a suit for his meeting with Rick, and then making plays right off the bat in practice and in the game. Business.
Yeah, I've always liked me some Demps. He likes taking risks in coverage, but I like him

"He doesn't curse as much at home," Colleen O'Brien about her husband, Bill.

Bill O'Brien: 'We're in too much of a rush. We're trying to stuff 15 pounds of isht in a 10-pound bag right now'

Bill O'Brien on cornerback Charles James: 'That guy's making a f-ing name for himself.'

"He don't know me from a can of paint." -- Charles James on Peyton

"I loved Pluto as a planet. What happened there?," EZ says while at NASA talking to astronauts.

30 letters in his name and no E. “ Cecil Shorts III on WR Uzoma "EZ" Nwachukwu

“We’re either gonna be an NFL player or we’re not,” Vrabel said. “It ain’t for everybody, but the ones it’s f—–g for, it’s f—–g great.

Last edited:
Love direction Texans are heading with O'Brian. Clearly only matter of time for Vrabel to become defensive coordinator (hope here) & Rick Smith losses Bob McNairs ear

Love direction Texans are heading with O'Brian. Clearly only matter of time for Vrabel to become defensive coordinator (hope here) & Rick Smith losses Bob McNairs ear
I dunno about your last idea of Rick losing Bob's ear. In the coaches meeting, the way he was sat at his own desk behind OBrien reminded me of the headmaster sitting in on class at school, it's the teacher he's assessing not the pupils.

And during the game he was jawing fairly casually in the box with as well (think that was McNair he was sat with anyway?)

I got the feeling that Rick is the boss, personally.

I dunno about your last idea of Rick losing Bob's ear. In the coaches meeting, the way he was sat at his own desk behind OBrien reminded me of the headmaster sitting in on class at school, it's the teacher he's assessing not the pupils.

And during the game he was jawing fairly casually in the box with as well (think that was McNair he was sat with anyway?)

I got the feeling that Rick is the boss, personally.

Don't know what your watching but to me Bob was doing his best to avoid making direct contact or acknowledgement of any kind with "the headmaster".

Don't know what your watching but to me Bob was doing his best to avoid making direct contact or acknowledgement of any kind with "the headmaster".
I doubt a man like Bob ends up sat next to anyone he doesn't want to, he also recently promoted Rick quite considerably. And if Rick is below OB in the pecking order, I'm certain he takes his seat at the table facing his boss.

Very clear management meeting dynamics were evident in that clip, and they go against the general consensus of this board on the nature of Rick Smith's job role in the new regime.

Im a bit worried about how Vrable has put his head above the parapet, he's gonna get job offers for DC come the end of the season. Seems like a guy who will have an effect on our WL record this season.

You really don't get it. They wouldn't have anything to show if they omitted everything with cussing.
I get it. But I don't think giving into superfluous vulgarity and focusing on vomit adds anything to the experience. I suppose many celebrate this immature behavior and focus in the name of realism, the badge of obstinacy.

I get it. But I don't think giving into superfluous vulgarity and focusing on vomit adds anything to the experience. I suppose many celebrate this immature behavior and focus in the name of realism, the badge of obstinacy.

This isn't Monty Python and the wafer thin mint. They aren't showing Cush throwing up as sophomoric humor. The point is he's working his guts out in the Texas heat. The immaturity is yours in not being able to tell the difference.

This isn't Monty Python and the wafer thin mint. They aren't showing Cush throwing up as sophomoric humor. The point is he's working his guts out in the Texas heat. The immaturity is yours in not being able to tell the difference.
We disagree. But I wouldn't want to take your side of the maturity argument. But go for it.

Doesn't it get repeated on NFL Network like a week after with bleeps? Wouldn't you be better off watching that @Marshall instead of getting all wound up by the HBO running?
Not liking vulgarity does not require that I ignore it's existence and forego timely information. It's just a preference for communication rather than overuse of "colorful" and inconsequential metaphors. It's like, you know, gag me with a spoon.

Back