Support and keep Texans Talk going. Make a donation here.

Grade the 2021 draft selections

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Thanks to Coach Culley, the 2021 class didn't get enough snaps to give a solid evaluation. Guys like Jordan and Wallow should have seen the field much earlier. Mills should have never been pulled for Taylor after the Taylor injury.

I'm hoping Lovie gets his rookie class on the field ASAP. That's how this franchise gets better.
If they don’t earn playing time they don’t belong on the field.

It’s a shame you & I didn’t get to evaluate these players, but the Texans should be evaluating them from the moment they come into the facility. They’re evaluated all week long.

If they didn’t get to play, they were not a better option than the JAG in front of him. Wallow I can understand. The LBs ahead of him played well.

Brevin Jordan I don’t understand. The JAGs in front of him didn’t play well at all.

Roy Lopez appears to have earned every snap he got.

Now, I thought it was a good idea to sit Mills for a few games. Let him recollect himself. Kind of like Duane Brown playing limited snaps.

But yeah, looks like Tyrod knew his time was past & was trying to get hisass benched.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
i don't think any team is going to nail 100% of the "guys they really like". The miss % on those guys will be same as everyone else. And at many selections, there's discussion on whom to pick. All I'm saying is, take as many of those guys as possible. Let the coaches sort them out on the field.
If the draft was before FA it’s possible the Texans approach would have looked like what you’re saying.

But the Texans appear to be pretty particular about how they shaped their roster. FA came 1st so they picked what they could when they could, then drafted to fill in the holes, then they had a FA frenzy picking up pass rush they “obviously” missed out on in the draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If the draft was before FA it’s possible the Texans approach would have looked like what you’re saying.

But the Texans appear to be pretty particular about how they shaped their roster. FA came 1st so they picked what they could when they could, then drafted to fill in the holes, then they had a FA frenzy picking up pass rush they “obviously” missed out on in the draft.
Who did they sign in fa before the draft?

Cann/Stewart

Lucky

Trust Me. I Know What I'm Doing.
Staff member
What team went with this approach and was successful?
I don't know if you're old enough to have seen them, but the 70's Steelers and 90's Cowboys are prime examples. More recently, Baby Shanny and John Lynch used 27 picks in 3 seasons to get the Niners into the Superb Owl. 3 All Pros after the 1st round. The Bungles became the Bengals again, taking 39 picks over 4 seasons. Neither team hit all of their picks. That's why you take as many as you can. I guy you love (Reuben Foster) is going to bust. I guy you kinda like (George Kittle) is gonna explode.

And the best reason to take a bunch of picks is to fill the back end of your roster. When rebuilding, the last 10-12 guys on your roster should be on rookie deals. You need to squeeze as much cap space for future years as you possibly can. When you're down, you scrimp and save. You cut coupons and buy generic over name brands. So, when things are getting better, you can make that down payment on the new minivan.

That's always been one of my questions regarding Caserio. He's never been in a rebuild. All he knows is sugar plums, lollipops, and Tom Brady. Lovie has been through a couple of rebuilds, so he should help. He picked up 9 picks in this draft. That's good. I just think he couls, and should, have gotten more.
Never let the signing of JAGS influence draft decisions.

Reactions: JB

Texansballer74

The Marine
I don't know if you're old enough to have seen them, but the 70's Steelers and 90's Cowboys are prime examples. More recently, Baby Shanny and John Lynch used 27 picks in 3 seasons to get the Niners into the Superb Owl. 3 All Pros after the 1st round. The Bungles became the Bengals again, taking 39 picks over 4 seasons. Neither team hit all of their picks. That's why you take as many as you can. I guy you love (Reuben Foster) is going to bust. I guy you kinda like (George Kittle) is gonna explode.

And the best reason to take a bunch of picks is to fill the back end of your roster. When rebuilding, the last 10-12 guys on your roster should be on rookie deals. You need to squeeze as much cap space for future years as you possibly can. When you're down, you scrimp and save. You cut coupons and buy generic over name brands. So, when things are getting better, you can make that down payment on the new minivan.

That's always been one of my questions regarding Caserio. He's never been in a rebuild. All he knows is sugar plums, lollipops, and Tom Brady. Lovie has been through a couple of rebuilds, so he should help. He picked up 9 picks in this draft. That's good. I just think he couls, and should, have gotten more.

Never let the signing of JAGS influence draft decisions.
But those teams signed JAG’s too. And look at how long it took the Bengals, Jaguars and the Browns to see a small sample size of success. Shoots the Bengals might pull a Jaguars and fall back to the bottom just as quick as they finally seen the light.

Lucky

Trust Me. I Know What I'm Doing.
Staff member
But those teams signed JAG’s too. And look at how long it took the Bengals, Jaguars and the Browns to see a small sample size of success. Shoots the Bengals might pull a Jaguars and fall back to the bottom just as quick as they finally seen the light.
I'm trying to understand your point. The JAGs will be long gone on one and two year deals before this team begins to win. Rookies sign 4 year deals. They are cheaper, and under contract longer. I really don't see why this is so difficult to see the benefit.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I'm trying to understand your point. The JAGs will be long gone on one and two year deals before this team begins to win. Rookies sign 4 year deals. They are cheaper, and under contract longer. I really don't see why this is so difficult to see the benefit.
The point is they brought in FA/JAG too.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The point is they brought in FA/JAG too.
The Texans have drafted 14 players in the last two years.

The Texans would have to draft 13 players in 2023 to equal the 49ers 27 in 3 seasons, 25 players in 2023 & 2024 to match the Bengals 37 in 4 years.

I'm not saying that is the right course, only that's how far behind the Texans are.

Before I say, "Yep, that's the way to build" I've got to wonder how many draft picks those teams brought on their team in the preceding decade before they got back on track.

Texansballer74

The Marine
The Texans have drafted 14 players in the last two years.

The Texans would have to draft 13 players in 2023 to equal the 49ers 27 in 3 seasons, 25 players in 2023 & 2024 to match the Bengals 37 in 4 years.

I'm not saying that is the right course, only that's how far behind the Texans are.

Before I say, "Yep, that's the way to build" I've got to wonder how many draft picks those teams brought on their team in the preceding decade before they got back on track.
Man we have to give things time to develop. Caserio didn’t have that type of luxury in last years draft. My thing is some teams have gone with a different approach. Take the Rams for an example.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Man we have to give things time to develop. Caserio didn’t have that type of luxury in last years draft. My thing is some teams have gone with a different approach. Take the Rams for an example.
Exactly,

When you don't have 1-2nd rd picks of course you aren't going to have as many draft picks on the roster. Besides give me quality over quantity every time.

Say the Texans only are able to draft 15 high quality starters over 3 years, would you rather have 6 star quality players and 9 above avg starters or 27 draft picks including late rd guys? You can always supplement your roster in fa because you have cheap talent. Add 3 star level players to the roster over 3 years and fill in the rest with the Cann's/Stewart of the world. Fill out the very bottom of the roster with the UDFA and develop them while they learn on ST's.

Just my philosophy.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Exactly,

When you don't have 1-2nd rd picks of course you aren't going to have as many draft picks on the roster. Besides give me quality over quantity every time.

Say the Texans only are able to draft 15 high quality starters over 3 years, would you rather have 6 star quality players and 9 above avg starters or 27 draft picks including late rd guys? You can always supplement your roster in fa because you have cheap talent. Add 3 star level players to the roster over 3 years and fill in the rest with the Cann's/Stewart of the world. Fill out the very bottom of the roster with the UDFA and develop them while they learn on ST's.

Just my philosophy.
The key is hitting on the picks. The Texans now have a lot of picks next three drafts (including the one they just had). Caserio has a tendency to package picks to get his target. That shows a lot of confidence in him and his scouts’ evaluation. I hope he’s right in giving up picks like candy to get the players he covets.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The key is hitting on the picks. The Texans now have a lot of picks next three drafts (including the one they just had). Caserio has a tendency to package picks to get his target. That shows a lot of confidence in him and his scouts’ evaluation. I hope he’s right in giving up picks like candy to get the players he covets.
This is a philosophy I agree with.

Do what it takes to get your guys.