Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Gameday Thread - 8/14 - Texans VS 49'ers Preaseason Game 1

Glad to see Doc Savage back to doing his thing.
Gotta use the pict dude.
:D
Manofbronzebama.jpg

"100% irrelevant" is probably not a great way to describe Savage. Last year, 12 starting quarterbacks either already have or will miss a combined 55 starts due to injury, including Romo (12 games), Manning (2), Flacco (7), Philadelphia’s Sam Bradford (2), Indianapolis’ Andrew Luck (4), Pittsburgh’s Ben Roethlisberger (4), Cleveland’s Josh McCown (7), the New York Jets’ Geno Smith (11), Buffalo’s Tyrod Taylor (2), Tennessee rookie Marcus Mariota (2), Chicago’s Jay Cutler (1), and New Orleans’ Drew Brees (1).

If savage becomes the starter, then our season will not end well. if it is because of injury, then BoB is safe.
If it is because of poor performance from Oz, then BoB is on the hot-seat.

Meh...preseason game one. Good, bad, ugly. Savage looked much better than Os, but it is his third year in the system. We need to remember that teams don't tackle in training camp like they used to, so this is the 1st time defenses are getting some good tackling in.

I'm very worried about the OL, though.

Really after going 9-7 with what we had last season.....

I get you, but Savage couldn't beat out Hoyer.. <sigh>

Savage has been with the team since BoB arrived. BoB and the rest of the team were so
desperate to have a "franchise guy" they paid $30+ mil. to get Oz.

That tells me that BoB, himself, does not believe that the team will be successful with
Savage under center..

If savage becomes the starter, then our season will not end well. if it is because of injury, then BoB is safe.

Really after going 9-7 with what we had last season.....

Savage has been with the team since BoB arrived. BoB and the rest of the team were so

That tells me that BoB, himself, does not believe that the team will be successful with
Savage under center..

Bob brought in Hoyer....so I don't care what he thinks as far as QBs go.

Reactions: ROO
what the heck Oz and Savage talking about that they gotta cover their mouths?

/conspiracy

Pure speculation on your part. There was a very good reason that Os' contract was essentially a two year gamble. Savage has looked good when given time to throw.
I hope Os turns out to be the real deal, but I also hope OB puts the best QB on the field for game 1, regardless of contract.

24-13 final

- 1st team D work on tackling and angles
- OL with a little better protection, leading to....
- let's see some deep passes / speed that we've heard of
- depth at QB, RB, WR looks good, even saw some TE plays

24-13 final

- 1st team D work on tackling and angles
- OL with a little better protection, leading to....
- let's see some deep passes / speed that we've heard of
- depth at QB, RB, WR looks good, even saw some TE plays

Wow, nice Koolaid you're drinking there.

Savage under center..

I don't believe that's true (Savage could not beat out Hoyer). I don't think anyone on the roster was given any chance at all to compete with Hoyer. Not Savage, not Mallett, obviously not Weeden when he got here late in the year. Hoyer had to **** the bed for Mallett to get on the field.

I think Savage is probably, almost certainly not the answer but he is starting his third season under OB so I'd be shocked if he couldn't outperform Os at this point.

I don't put much stock in Os poor performance tonight. I'm sure he is pressing. When you sign a big deal like that you want to make it look like it was justified (unless you're Albert Haynesworth and made entirely of fecal matter, greed, and lard) so it's early and everyone is still putting it all together.

Too soon to worry.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Bill O’Brien says he knows they did not throw the ball downfield today with the 1st team. Doesn’t know how much he will this preseason.

“D.J. has to pay attention to his conditioning level…” Bill O’Brien on D.J. Reader. #Texans

#TexansCamp ‏@HoustonTexans
O'Brien: "All the young guys, getting acclimated to the speed. It was good for them to get out there."

O'Brien: "Our goal was to get the operation right. At times we did. There were some bright spots, but we have a lot to improve on."

Adam Wexler ‏@awexlerKPRC
O'Brien said game plan was to have clean operation of offense and come out healthy. Says he'll evaluate performances after watching film.

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
"We need to improve our tackling."-Bill O'Brien on main thing #Texans need to improve defensively.

I don't put much stock in Os poor performance tonight. I'm sure he is pressing.

I don't know if he was pressing.

He did an interview with NFLN after the game. They asked what he thought of his performance. It was mostly coach speak, but when asked what the goal for tonight was, what he's going to work on, & why he thought this offense was a better fix, he said some pretty interesting things.

His focus was a lot of presnap stuff. Protection, communication, alignments. & we pretty much had a clean game.

There's a lot of communication things that needs cleaning up.

He said he likes this offense for a lot of the responsibility given to the QB, a lot of things he didn't get to do...

Hopefully we'll see big jumps with Osweiler & the offense in the next few weeks.

Back