Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Gameday Thread - 8/14 - Texans VS 49'ers Preaseason Game 1

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
It's also pissing me off that they keep calling the Texan's 1st series a 3 and out. I guess that's what happens when you get 14 on play one. Yeah...I deleted a lot of politically motivated stuff that I found funny but rethought.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Dallas Offensive line is one of the best in the business. So of course Dak looked Stella out there.

Houston offensive line is a work in progress. They were without 3 starters and you expected the same type of command. Even with us being ultra vanilla against all out blitz from the 49ers.

I surely hope you see the difference.

Already put together healthy offensive line verses a make shift with three starters out with injuries.
Let me give you one example of the difference I see.
Remember the back shoulder throw to Bryant Prescott made for Dallas' first TD? That throw had touch. Contrast that with the same type of throw Osweiler made to Hopkins when Os threw a 95 mph fastball that even Hopkins couldn't handle.
Prescott is a rookie.
Osweiler is going into his fifth year.
On both throws, Prescott's and Osweiler's, there was a clean pocket so, in those cases, O-line performance was good enough to allow a successful play.

Don't take my word for it, check out NFLN's total access. They showed both plays when talking about each respective teams' (and QB's) preseason games.
Fair warningTry not to get sick listening to David Carr explain QB play.

BYDS

Waterboy
Shorts is having one helluva camp. He's already familiarize with this offense. The slot position is his to lose. Miller will not start and he will barely see some real action this season. If one of our main receivers gets hurt, then he will see more PT.
I agree he will not start but absolutely disagree with you thinking he will barely see real action. The man is a stud, you don't sit a stud because he is a rookie.

Shorts is an injury prone wide receiver and only has 2 more years in the league than DHop and has only played in 13 more games. He doesn't really provide any more veteran presence than Hop.

Where have you seen he is having "one helluva camp"?

Texansballer74

The Marine
Let me give you one example of the difference I see.
Remember the back shoulder throw to Bryant Prescott made for Dallas' first TD? That throw had touch. Contrast that with the same type of throw Osweiler made to Hopkins when Os threw a 95 mph fastball that even Hopkins couldn't handle.
Prescott is a rookie.
Osweiler is going into his fifth year.
On both throws, Prescott's and Osweiler's, there was a clean pocket so, in those cases, O-line performance was good enough to allow a successful play.

Don't take my word for it, check out NFLN's total access. They showed both plays when talking about each respective teams' (and QB's) preseason games.
Fair warningTry not to get sick listening to David Carr explain QB play.

So basically we are going off of one preseason game.

Come on dude you are indeed tripping.

Brock have made that same throw playing for the Broncos. If you don't believe me, well follow your own advice.

Again Dat is playing with one of the best offensive line in the game today. Not only that he played more series than Brock.

Then again is this not the 1st preseason game.

Go look how Rodgers, RG3, and Wilson looked in their 1st few series.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I agree he will not start but absolutely disagree with you thinking he will barely see real action. The man is a stud, you don't sit a stud because he is a rookie.

Shorts is an injury prone wide receiver and only has 2 more years in the league than DHop and has only played in 13 more games. He doesn't really provide any more veteran presence than Hop.

Where have you seen he is having "one helluva camp"?

From a lot of the beat writers covering the Texans.

Miller will see limited minutes. He still have Shorts, Strong and Hunt to beat out for playing time. Lamar Miller will line up a lot in the passing game as well.

But hey we shall see

chenjy9

Rookie
From a lot of the beat writers covering the Texans.

Miller will see limited minutes. He still have Shorts, Strong and Hunt to beat out for playing time. Lamar Miller will line up a lot in the passing game as well.

But hey we shall see
I hope you don't mean those same beat writers that make virtually everyone on both sides of the ball seem like Pro Bowlers. It was the offseason and in practice, so looking bad is not really the norm for reports from beat writers. Take what you read from them with a metric ton of salt about any player and just wait for them to actually play the games.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Brock have made that same throw playing for the Broncos. If you don't believe me, well follow your own advice.

Again Dat is playing with one of the best offensive line in the game today. Not only that he played more series than Brock.

Not saying what I described will be Osweiler's ceiling. Not at all. I fully expect improvement. As he gets more knowledgeable in this offense I'm sure he'll get better.
Like you say, this is the first preseason game.

It just struck me as weird that a 4th round rookie had better touch - on a route that EVERYBODY runs - than a four-year NFL vet (albeit who has limited reps).

b0ng

Bad Hombre
Not saying what I described will be Osweiler's ceiling. Not at all. I fully expect improvement. As he gets more knowledgeable in this offense I'm sure he'll get better.

It just struck me as weird that a 4th round rookie had better touch - on a route that EVERYBODY runs - than a four-year NFL vet (albeit who has limited reps).
It's about consistency for me. If Prescott can hit a difficult throw like that repeatedly in all situations then the Cowboys got a hell of a bargain. If Os can't make difficult (and easy) throws consistently he will probably not be a starter for very long because O'Brien will pull him. If there is one thing I am not worried about its Bill O'Brien sticking with a QB for too long.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I hope you don't mean those same beat writers that make virtually everyone on both sides of the ball seem like Pro Bowlers. It was the offseason and in practice, so looking bad is not really the norm for reports from beat writers. Take what you read from them with a metric ton of salt about any player and just wait for them to actually play the games.
Those same beat writers will tell you when players drop passes and if they're having a bad camp.

My Clutchfans compadra

Insideop

All Pro

Who Dat? Sorry, couldn't resist! Especially with the Saints coming to town!:shades:

Texansballer74

The Marine

I'm pretty sure he wish he could do a do-over. Normally he makes that throw.

chenjy9

Rookie
Those same beat writers will tell you when players drop passes and if they're having a bad camp.

My Clutchfans compadra
Yes they do, but unless a player is really bad (like cut/waive bad), they usually fluff them up. Point is, games are played for a reason and we should all take any beat writer offseason report for what it is, a report about practice during the offseason.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Yes they do, but unless a player is really bad (like cut/waive bad), they usually fluff them up. Point is, games are played for a reason and we should all take any beat writer offseason report for what it is, a report about practice during the offseason.

I don't put too much stock into what they be saying. Plus I've seen how Cecil performs in live action. ( when healthy of course)

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

OT..... but I too struggled with that saying. Turns out the original saying, take it with a grain of salt... because a grain of salt makes no difference. Now as you say, a metric tons of salt... you can do quite a lot with a metric tons of salt, it makes a huge difference.

BYDS

Waterboy
It's about consistency for me. If Prescott can hit a difficult throw like that repeatedly in all situations then the Cowboys got a hell of a bargain. If Os can't make difficult (and easy) throws consistently he will probably not be a starter for very long because O'Brien will pull him. If there is one thing I am not worried about its Bill O'Brien sticking with a QB for too long.
The one thing to remember is that without Os the Broncos do not even make the playoffs. He beat two very good teams in the Pats and Bengals. He is not a scrub QB.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
I finally got to watch the whole game.

Did anyone notice how in that 3rd offensive series that Oz started getting sharper?

You could see the competitiveness start to take over...........and they yank him.

Lol

It took Savage about 5 series to start looking decent.

Savage played alright, he's not a world beater though. He's comfortable with this system and should be a good backup.

No doubt that Oz is the man.

Strong looks good!

Tackling needs to be addressed, lol

I love me some Lamar!

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
The one thing to remember is that without Os the Broncos do not even make the playoffs. He beat two very good teams in the Pats and Bengals. He is not a scrub QB.
The way I look at it is how good would the Texans have been last year if Oz, playing as he did, had been our QB instead of all the others.

I'm guessing we win a few more games and that KC debacle turns out differently in the playoffs.

sandman

Brexit Advisor

You're entire argument is based off of one pass attempt...

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Savage played alright, he's not a world beater though. He's comfortable with this system and should be a good backup.
Hmm... Tom Savage was not the guy I wanted to draft. However, when he was drafted, I rationalized it thinking... he's got the size & the tools. Actually, he's got everything I look for in a 1st round QB, except experience.

Well, we know why he didn't play much in college. It wasn't because he couldn't play. In fact, what little he did play, well... he impressed as a freshman. Got hurt, transferred, transferred, walked on & won the starting job. He looked rusty at the beginning of that season, but progressed very well as the season went on.

I've yet to see enough to say he can't be more than a back up in this league. I do applaud the Texans for not waiting on him... but I'm not ready to say he'll never be more than a back up, as the only thing that really separates back ups from starters is how they handle game time situations.

Insideop

All Pro
Cliett was in for a couple of plays on S.F.'s last possession and then on the punt return team. Nothing really came his way. He is definitely heavier than last year and looked a little stiff to me.
Are you sure it was Cliett? The report that JB posted said Cliett was out with a strained hamstring. http://www.texanstalk.com/posts/2620416/

"Offensive tackle Derek Newton and inside linebacker Reshard Cliett are still out with strained hamstrings."

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I finally got to watch the whole game.

Did anyone notice how in that 3rd offensive series that Oz started getting sharper?

You could see the competitiveness start to take over...........and they yank him.
Yeah, that bugged me too.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
You're entire argument is based off of one pass attempt...
What argument? It was an evaluation of that pass.
I was disappointed with the lack of touch.
But.....
I say again, I expect him to improve with time.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Re-watched some of the game at lunch. Man, I sure hope we're able to snag a dlineman or two once cuts begin. Covington was the better of the bunch, but very hit or miss. Reader was completely overwhelmed.

Just very bad overall along the dline

idymoe

Noob
Are you sure it was Cliett? The report that JB posted said Cliett was out with a strained hamstring. http://www.texanstalk.com/posts/2620416/

"Offensive tackle Derek Newton and inside linebacker Reshard Cliett are still out with strained hamstrings."

Not to sound like a smart-ass, but I re-watched the end of the game after your post to be sure which plays he was in on. The number on his jersey was 58, and the name was spelled Cliett.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
For those who care, the NFLN will rebroadcast the Texans/Niners game at 3:00 CDT today

...at least that what my Dish Network TV guide says

Reactions: JB

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Re-watched some of the game at lunch. Man, I sure hope we're able to snag a dlineman or two once cuts begin. Covington was the better of the bunch, but very hit or miss. Reader was completely overwhelmed.

Just very bad overall along the dline
Wow... I was most impressed with Reader. Thought he lived up to the hype. Just imagining him with our starting DL... I think he'll be a monster.

Insideop

All Pro
Not to sound like a smart-ass, but I re-watched the end of the game after your post to be sure which plays he was in on. The number on his jersey was 58, and the name was spelled Cliett.
Well I guess his injury (hammy) wasn't as bad as first thought, and that's a good thing! Cliett, to me, is "on the bubble" to even make this team and he is going to have to really prove himself during the next few PS games if he wants to stick. Even then he may end up on the Practice Squad.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame

Didn't notice him in the game, but I believe you because he was definitely suited up for the game. I saw him on the sidelines sweating.