Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Game plan Baltimore

Texansballer74

The Marine
The Browns were very physical with them and it paid big time dividends. They blew them out 40-25.

The Chiefs in the first half was also physical with them. Had a monster second quarter, scoring 23 points.

If we can punch them in the mouth early and often. We could possibly blow them out.

Just another thought.

Last edited:

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Cunningham.

I said coming out of that draft he was my favorite defensive player …. he hasn't quite lived up to my expectations but he has the tools.
Cunningham isn't anywhere near fast enough to spy Jackson. I can't remember who said it (I believe it was a HC), but they said Jackson didn't look nearly as fast on film as he did in person.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I haven't seen much of the ravens but I watched them dismantle the Pat's. To me its paramount that we stop their run game. Getting a lead early might force them to abandon a heavy run game. If we have to force the issue by going for it on 4th down early or a couple of gadget plays I'm all in on that for an early lead.

On defense I'm going back to basics. Not on scheme, on technique. Fundamental form tackling. Arm tackles aren't bringing down Ingram. Head down blind diving wont work on L jack. Square up, watch the belt buckle, and wrap up. If I'm coaching defense we're refreshing on pursuit angles and aiming a yard plus on L. Jack because he's just that damn fast. Swarm tackle and abuse him when given the chance.

Schematicly, I'm aiming to stop the run. We've seen often that a 3-4 defense (in name) can really be a 5-2. That's where I start on the first few defensive drives if possible. Reader lines up over center and I bring the de's both a bit inside over the guards outside shoulder. Essentially, I'm stuffing the middle runs and concentrating my pass rush up the middle more effectively. My olbs line up farther outside then usual and show blitz on every down. Think of a wide 9 technique. Outside contain is priority on run plays. On pass plays they "mud rush" maintaining contain and gap integrity.

In this format they're forced to run everything between the guard and tackle. I'm funneling them to our inside backers. McKinney and Cunningham need to be on point for this game and have a chance to show what a great tandem they are.

On pass plays in base formation Cunningham is my QB spy. That changes in nickle and dime packages to a db if necessary. If we have trouble in this format stopping the run early I bring my CBS up in a bump and run. They throw off timing on pass plays that way and are more relevant in the run game being closer to the line of scrimmage.

Frankly, I don't fear their wrs. I force them to pass and I force them into long sustained drives if i can. I aim to take away the run and make them earn it again and again in a short passing game.

Later in the game if we have a lead and force them to abandon the run game I start mixing in different coverages. L Jack is still young and despite being a good passer, he can be fooled. I'm playing zone dogs and combo coverages like man on the weak side, zone strong side. As the game goes on, we start stunting defensive linemen and blitz McKinney more...

To sum it up, stop the run early. Get the lead and force them out of running. Then mix in stunts, coverages, exotic blitzes to confuse a young qb. I feel like this game plan evolves as the game and score progresses naturally. I feel like it fits. I think if our secondary is healthy we are superior to their wrs/tes.

Jmo. Thoughts?
Yep and like TB said punch them in the mouth while they're doing these things. The most physical team will win.

I'm optimistic that the Texans will have a great gameplan for this game and the Ravens different offense because RAC has the bye week to prepare.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Cunningham isn't anywhere near fast enough to spy Jackson. I can't remember who said it (I believe it was a HC), but they said Jackson didn't look nearly as fast on film as he did in person.
Out of our lbs he (Cunningham) has the best lateral movement and speed.

In base packages he's really the only option unless you want to bring up a safety. He's far better then previous lb spys other teams have used.

powda

Sure Mingo, Lonnie Johnson, Taiwan Jones, Dylan Cole, Jacob Martin and our safeties.

In a base defense -as I said.

If you dont like Cunningham in that match up mingo and Martin are out of question not fit.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I haven't looked at 40 times - nor do I care. Neither are ball park lateral with Cunningham. Not sure why this is even up for debate.
Debate if you want to call it that is because you think Cunningham is fast enough to keep up with Lamar Jackson I do not. I do think the others I mention are fast enough.

powda

Debate if you want to call it that is because you think Cunningham is fast enough to keep up with Lamar Jackson I do not. I do think the others I mention are fast enough.

Are you asking for a lb fast enough or someone who's a starter on Our team fast enough? I mentioned nickle and dime packages as well as safetys.

I'm lost on what your proposing that I haven't covered?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Post 50 you said Cunningham to shadow LJ on run plays and DBs in nickle/dime. I do not want Cunningham shadowing LJ at any time.. I did say certain DB's could.

Goodnight to all.

powda

Is there any lb you think could shadow LJ? I dont. Out of OUR options Cuningham is the clear choice imo. Didnt mean to be argumentive on the matter.

powda

I haven't seen much of the ravens but I watched them dismantle the Pat's. To me its paramount that we stop their run game. Getting a lead early might force them to abandon a heavy run game. If we have to force the issue by going for it on 4th down early or a couple of gadget plays I'm all in on that for an early lead.

On defense I'm going back to basics. Not on scheme, on technique. Fundamental form tackling. Arm tackles aren't bringing down Ingram. Head down blind diving wont work on L jack. Square up, watch the belt buckle, and wrap up. If I'm coaching defense we're refreshing on pursuit angles and aiming a yard plus on L. Jack because he's just that damn fast. Swarm tackle and abuse him when given the chance.

Schematicly, I'm aiming to stop the run. We've seen often that a 3-4 defense (in name) can really be a 5-2. That's where I start on the first few defensive drives if possible. Reader lines up over center and I bring the de's both a bit inside over the guards outside shoulder. Essentially, I'm stuffing the middle runs and concentrating my pass rush up the middle more effectively. My olbs line up farther outside then usual and show blitz on every down. Think of a wide 9 technique. Outside contain is priority on run plays. On pass plays they "mud rush" maintaining contain and gap integrity.

In this format they're forced to run everything between the guard and tackle. I'm funneling them to our inside backers. McKinney and Cunningham need to be on point for this game and have a chance to show what a great tandem they are.

On pass plays in base formation Cunningham is my QB spy. That changes in nickle and dime packages to a db if necessary. If we have trouble in this format stopping the run early I bring my CBS up in a bump and run. They throw off timing on pass plays that way and are more relevant in the run game being closer to the line of scrimmage.

Frankly, I don't fear their wrs. I force them to pass and I force them into long sustained drives if i can. I aim to take away the run and make them earn it again and again in a short passing game.

Later in the game if we have a lead and force them to abandon the run game I start mixing in different coverages. L Jack is still young and despite being a good passer, he can be fooled. I'm playing zone dogs and combo coverages like man on the weak side, zone strong side. As the game goes on, we start stunting defensive linemen and blitz McKinney more...

To sum it up, stop the run early. Get the lead and force them out of running. Then mix in stunts, coverages, exotic blitzes to confuse a young qb. I feel like this game plan evolves as the game and score progresses naturally. I feel like it fits. I think if our secondary is healthy we are superior to their wrs/tes.

Jmo. Thoughts?
Interesting I haven't got more feedback on this. Qb spy seems the only concern.

powda

Mercilus is too slow.
I think Cunningham would be the matchup as well.
Agreed. Cole moves well. Late in the game or on 3rd down and long i want him in the mix as well. He doesn't stuff the run like McKinney though.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think it's kinda funny the way they talk about Lamar Jackson over there. Like JesusinCleats.

:thinking:

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Out of our lbs he (Cunningham) has the best lateral movement and speed.

In base packages he's really the only option unless you want to bring up a safety. He's far better then previous lb spys other teams have used.
My base package for this game would nickel and I'd put Reid on Jackson. I don't think there's a LB in the league that can adequately spy Jackson. Besides, he's not a big guy, so you don't need a LB to spy him like you would a QB like Cam Newton.

Omerta

Waterboy
I think it's kinda funny the way they talk about Lamar Jackson over there. Like JesusinCleats.

:thinking:
I think this is a function of a few things, however, let me lead with this. Jackson has flaws. He isn't a CONSISTENT passer. Yet. He is approaching that much faster than I thought he would. He has gotten better every game this year since the Arizona game.

He still gets to anxious, and might take off to early for a 20 yard gain when he can hit the 40 yard wheel route that is ALMOST developed but would require a few extra seconds. In New England he could have hit Ingram twice for a TD because a LB was spying him instead of covering Ingram. He needs to work on that as well.

His arm angles. Sometimes he hits a throw from an angle maybe 3 QBs in the NFL could hit. Then he bounces one off his LTs helmet. It's maddening.

All that said when you watch Jackson you know you're watching something different. Everyone knows how fast he is, but what they don't tell you is this kids ability to control his body. He reminds me of Reggie Bush when he was at USC. Jackson is hard to get going laterally to long because he will be in a dead Sprint, so the defender has to be or he will beat you around the corner. Then when your guy is at full speed he will stop on a dime, cut inside and be at full speed again. It isn't natural. He is a better runner than Vick was, which is incredible.

His throwing is sooooo much better than people think. He is capable of throwing absolute dimes in or out of the pocket, or on the run. I also think he is a better passer than Vick. Vick had a CANNON arm. Jackson does not, but I think it helps honestly. Jackson can still rip it, but he also has some incredible touch on some throws.

His throwing has improved so much from him being a 21 year old rookie, to a 22 year old MVP candidate, it isn't recognizable. If he improves that same amount this coming off-season, he will be up there with the Brees of the world. Right now he is a borderline top 10 passer but it is over shadowed by his movement.

The problems he creates is unique. The spy thing always sounds like a good idea. Put our most athletic guy on him to help him stay in the pocket. Well then you have a non athlete covering our athletic TE'S. Or now we can run routes to clear out the middle and leave that athlete one on one with Lamar with a lineman in front. Load the box and he will throw it behind you. It's just different.

So people talk about him like he is infallible because he is the best Baltimore had ever had by a mile, at least this time around. We see it week in and week out and watch DC's pull their hair out figuring him out. He was probably annointed last week when Bill Belichek was losing his mind trying to figure out how to do it. He is beatable though but it is going to take immense talent, a Herculean effort, and supernatural discipline. It can be done though.

Or their just douchebag homers.

DanielTx

Veteran
I'm not an expert. Only watched two games. Watching those games I thought I'd hate to be the guy who has to defend that offense. Has anyone taken the time to identify any tendencies?

They run well out of the gun, QB under center. Lamar Jackson is as comfortable outside the pocket as inside. He's a threat to run, throw on the run... how would you make them one dimensional? Would you try to keep Jackson in the pocket? Or pressure him & get him on the run?

How would you defend against the Ravens offense?
Ravens are the hottest team in the afc right now. Currently on a 5 game win streak once they beat the bengals. The offensive game plan is simple. You stretch the field with fuller and stills majority of the plays and you let Watson show Lamar whose the best qb in the afc. As much as I like Hyde and Duke. There not getting over 4 ypc against the Ravens who are the #2 run defense. We’re the #3 run defense and the #3 offense in the league. The defense is going to get scored on. I hope ob has the guys prepared and focuses strictly on the offense. This game will be a shootout and it should have been prime time. As much as I like Lamar, I’m glad to see he’s doing good but I don’t expect him to outplay Dw. Ravens game is where dw becomes the clear cut mvp. Packers and Seahawks 2nd half schedule are the hardest in the league. Cmc isn’t a qb

DanielTx

Veteran
I don’t encourage dirty plays but if I’m Rc. First ravens possession, I’m giving the green light on LJ. Just like teams tried to hurt Watson in the past, the late hits trying to disrupt him early in the game. You take the same approach. You kill the head and the body dies. I want LJs head next Sunday. I think McKinney doesn’t get enough appreciation but I love his attitude on defense. Raw line backer that isn’t afraid to make a play.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
Ravens are the hottest team in the afc right now. Currently on a 5 game win streak once they beat the bengals. The offensive game plan is simple. You stretch the field with fuller and stills majority of the plays and you let Watson show Lamar whose the best qb in the afc. As much as I like Hyde and Duke. There not getting over 4 ypc against the Ravens who are the #2 run defense. We’re the #3 run defense and the #3 offense in the league. The defense is going to get scored on. I hope ob has the guys prepared and focuses strictly on the offense. This game will be a shootout and it should have been prime time. As much as I like Lamar, I’m glad to see he’s doing good but I don’t expect him to outplay Dw. Ravens game is where dw becomes the clear cut mvp. Packers and Seahawks 2nd half schedule are the hardest in the league. Cmc isn’t a qb

Didn't know Fuller would be back for this game.

I believe the formula is to be very physical with them and try to go up three scores before the half.

We are pretty hot ourselves winning 4 out of our last 5 games.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I don’t encourage dirty plays but if I’m Rc. First ravens possession, I’m giving the green light on LJ. Just like teams tried to hurt Watson in the past, the late hits trying to disrupt him early in the game. You take the same approach. You kill the head and the body dies. I want LJ head next Sunday. I think McKinney doesn’t get enough appreciation but I love his attitude on defense. Raw line backer that isn’t afraid to make a play.
WOW

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Romeo is going to have to write another masterpiece next weekend. If you go back to his college days and look at what has been "successful" vs LJ the data shows that teams that play more ZONE tend do better in containing his running. https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/lamar-jacksons-impact-by-the-numbers/

In addition to his utility as a designed runner, Jackson also fundamentally changes the complexion of defensive structures due to his ability to exploit man coverage. SIS alumnus and Next Gen Stats researcher Keegan Abdoo previously investigated this and found that 1) Jackson’s collegiate opponents avoided playing man against him, and 2) scrambles were generally more effective against man coverage schemes.
Indeed, the data from this season bears out the conclusions of Abdoo’s research. Five of the Ravens’ seven opponents thus far have played considerably less man in their matchups against Jackson than they have in their other games this season. The Seahawks (-8 percentage points), Chiefs (-21), Cardinals (-15), Dolphins (-24), and Browns (-8) all toned down their usage of man – presumably out of respect for Jackson’s running ability.
If Romeo can dial up the same confusing alignments .. fake some pre snap stuff .. use Reid as a decoy. I think you can confuse LJ in to making some mistakes. LJ struggles with his passing accuracy (view same article above) and if somehow you can get in his head I think the defense can offer enough resistance for the offense to come in and take care of business.

IF you are going to "spy" then using one of our LBs is asking for slow pain all afternoon. You better put REid or another DB on that guy.

Everyone already knows RAC is coming out cover 4 and keeping everything in front, its what he does, playing that tough 2 gap D may be what minimizes the feet of LJ in this game. if you can get him off rhythm and make sure you get to the ball full of piss and vinegar this defense even bereft of tier 1 talent could do just enough.

Bill OBrien - all eyes are on you in this one. You are getting an extra week to prepare for these guys. You better be on your A game. BAL defense is suspect AF, you can get to them. I really like Judon will need to keep him locked up. Watch out for Thomas and Peters in the backfield. While they may not be what they used to be and the team as a unit is ranked 26th vs the pass, they still can play at a high level.

We should be able to run the ball and chew up the clock. Do what you did vs KC. Keep LJ on the sideline and you wont have to worry about him too much. Nuk should be able to feast, and our pro bowl TE Darren Fells should also keep it going in this one.

Houston 27
Ravens 23

Earl34

Hall of Fame
My base package for this game would nickel and I'd put Reid on Jackson. I don't think there's a LB in the league that can adequately spy Jackson. Besides, he's not a big guy, so you don't need a LB to spy him like you would a QB like Cam Newton.
Anyone who thinks any of the Texans LBs could be a spy on Jackson, needs to look at previous games where opposing RBs where using their speed to exploit one on one matchups against the Texans' LBs.

For example, look where Kamara and Cunningham are at the 18 second mark of this clip and then see where Cunningham is 2 seconds later.

Fred

Veteran
Lol, you mean run scout team in practice as Jackson right?
Although that is also a better idea than anything coach "I'm too smart to actually need to think" will come up with, I am talking about putting Coutee in on defense to spy Jackson. Name someone other than Watson who could do it better.

DanielTx

Veteran
I don't want this "Hollywood Brown" dildo to go all TY Hilton on us.
We've got to do everything in the world to make sure we kill LJ head. We want him running sideways. We want his head sideways

LJ hasn’t officially been welcomed to the league. We need to set the tone early on. Once again, I’m not encouraging any career ending injuries or anything to that nature but I believe the only way to stop a generational talent like LJ is to defeat him through the mind and that starts with targeting. We don’t have the talent on defense to stop him physically. If I’m Rc, I’m telling my players I’m paying for there fines. We just need 2 good shots and he won’t want to play anymore. This is a playoff game when you consider the seeding. We need to do everything in our power to beat the ravens. The chances of us doing this is slim to none but this will be a strategy for a playoff team against LJ.

Last edited:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Although that is also a better idea than anything coach "I'm too smart to actually need to think" will come up with, I am talking about putting Coutee in on defense to spy Jackson. Name someone other than Watson who could do it better.
Has Joe Webb recover from his foot surgery?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Umm anyone who has actually played defense and can tackle? Lol

LikeMike

Veteran
For me this is the game that will show us, what we can expect the rest of the season. We will have our best secondary and o-like out there and we will have time to gameplan. We are playing one of the hottest teams in the league and probably one of the hardest to gameplan against. If we win this or at least get real close to win it, I believe we can best every team this year. If we fail miserably I don’t think we can do much damage come Play-off time...

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
For me this is the game that will show us, what we can expect the rest of the season. We will have our best secondary and o-like out there and we will have time to gameplan. We are playing one of the hottest teams in the league and probably one of the hardest to gameplan against. If we win this or at least get real close to win it, I believe we can best every team this year. If we fail miserably I don’t think we can do much damage come Play-off time...
I dont think this game is a harbinger of the season, if they lose to a team with a quirky offense.

Fred

Veteran
Umm anyone who has actually played defense and can tackle? Lol
OK, someone who can't catch him, and thus it won't matter if they can theoretically tackle. I'd rather have someone who can catch him. And heck, I think Coutee was credited with a tackle the last down he played...

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I dont think this game is a harbinger of the season, if they lose to a team with a quirky offense.
Agreed. If we lose to Baltimore it means we're a crap team. But if we beat NE it means we're a contender. Even though New England is a crap team that lost to the Ravens.

Don't make sense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Agreed. If we lose to Baltimore it means we're a crap team. But if we beat NE it means we're a contender. Even though New England is a crap team that lost to the Ravens.

Don't make sense.
They just need to win 2 out of these next 3 regardless of which ones they win. Although the Colts game is a must win.