Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Game plan Baltimore

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm not an expert. Only watched two games. Watching those games I thought I'd hate to be the guy who has to defend that offense. Has anyone taken the time to identify any tendencies?

They run well out of the gun, QB under center. Lamar Jackson is as comfortable outside the pocket as inside. He's a threat to run, throw on the run... how would you make them one dimensional? Would you try to keep Jackson in the pocket? Or pressure him & get him on the run?

How would you defend against the Ravens offense?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I'm not an expert. Only watched two games. Watching those games I thought I'd hate to be the guy who has to defend that offense. Has anyone taken the time to identify any tendencies?

They run well out of the gun, QB under center. Lamar Jackson is as comfortable outside the pocket as inside. He's a threat to run, throw on the run... how would you make them one dimensional? Would you try to keep Jackson in the pocket? Or pressure him & get him on the run?

If it were my job to design a plan to stop that offense - it would start by forcing Jackson to be a pocket passer , don't let him get outside or off script.

The DE / OLB play is going to be critical. They have to play with lane / gap discipline and not over run the play out the back door. The push has to come from the center. Let the DB's make plays ….

Also , you cant give him big play opportunities - the safety play is also critical in this game. Cant let anyone get behind you …. especially if Jackson is outside the pocket.

Make him beat you with short throws and sustained drives. I really don't believe he's that accomplished a passer that he can sustain long drives and not make mistakes … But if you let him break contain all bets are off , much like Watson , that's where he shines.

Harbaugh has put him in a fantastic offense for his skills ….

badboy

Hall of Fame
If it were my job to design a plan to stop that offense - it would start by forcing Jackson to be a pocket passer , don't let him get outside or off script.

The DE / OLB play is going to be critical. They have to play with lane / gap discipline and not over run the play out the back door. The push has to come from the center. Let the DB's make plays ….

Also , you cant give him big play opportunities - the safety play is also critical in this game. Cant let anyone get behind you …. especially if Jackson is outside the pocket.

Make him beat you with short throws and sustained drives. I really don't believe he's that accomplished a passer that he can sustain long drives and not make mistakes … But if you let him break contain all bets are off , much like Watson , that's where he shines.

Harbaugh has put him in a fantastic offense for his skills ….
I agree, our defensive line has to clog the middle and our DBs eliminate long passing gains. The latter is why I was so pleased with Conley's play against Jags. Our DL needs to pound their RBs and our RBs need to pound their DL. Lamar Jackson is good but he is not DeShaun Watson. I think Jackson can be rattled. Number four is on the way to consecutive Pro bowls in my opinion.

I want to see our linebackers in coverage stay with the receiver and not allow a moving QB to suck them in and then dink a pass over their head for significant yards.

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
I would say the defense has to maintain strict lane discipline with Lamar Jackson just like they would on kick off or punt coverage. Don't over pursue and let him get outside or inside. Seal the edges and don't let him out of the pocket. Basically, stop the running game on the way to the quarterback. Keep him in the pocket and make him throw the ball from there. If he can't get outside the pocket and go off script, he gets frustrated. That's when the Texans defense can force him to make mistakes. Easier said then done. This kid is good. One thing this game will be is physical. The Texans will have to win this one in the trenches. That 3rd ranked run defense needs to show up big in this one. This is going to be a great game and a lot of fun to watch.

frethack

Rookie
Agree with everyone wanting to make Jackson beat us from the pocket. Easier said than done, of course...Jackson will get his, but discipline is key.

In conjunction with defensive discipline, the offense needs to put its foot on their throat and not let up. Long drives...wear out the defense and get 6. The Ravens defense is starting to gel, but they are a lot like us...great at the run and weak on the back end. Our QB is a better passer, so we are better equipped to take advantage of that IMHO.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Fear and Pain.
Don't rush the QB. Play the short Pass game, Spy the QB at all times. If he escapes the pocket, lay the wood on him. Rinse and repeat. Make Jackson think twice about risking contact. Force him to beat us with his arm.
In your opinion, who do we have that is athletic enough to spy Lamar Jackson? Who would you put money on against Jackson in the open field?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
All good stuff that the defense needs to do but the offense also needs to do like they did in the Chiefs game and keep Jackson on the bench. It will be much harder because Ravens have a much better D. I think that Jackson is still a young enough QB that if you keep him stewing on the bench for 5-8 minutes he is going to feel pressured to make big plays when he is out there and that's when he makes mistakes. He and Watson are very similar but for one difference, Jackson plays his best when he feels that the game is under his control and he has breathing room, Watson tends to play his best when the pressure is on him to make something happen.

I like Jackson but he has also never really played under the bright lights like Watson has. He won the Music bowl his freshman year but you can make an argument that Louisville didn't win that game A&M lost it and this is coming from an aggie hater. In 2016 I have no idea how he won the Heisman over Watson and Mayfield, I'm happy for him but those two guys had amazing seasons. Long story short if they can pressure him, keep him on the bench and get him out of his comfort zone I think the rookie in him will come out.

He had a good game against the Pats but frankly if there was ever an argument to be made for the league trying to prop up the Pats its how the defending SB champs got that kind of schedule this year. That's a schedule an 8-8 team would have been happy to get. Baltimore was the Pats first real test and they failed so its hard to know was that good Ravens or bad Pats.

Last edited:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
In your opinion, who do we have that is athletic enough to spy Lamar Jackson? Who would you put money on against Jackson in the open field?
I'd time travel back to 2014 and grab JJ from there. If that's not an opinion then hell stick Mercilus on him and hype up to him that if he can shut Jackson down teams will be throwing money at him next season. Maybe not the best idea or hell even a good idea but its all I've got.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Therein lies the big question. However, I think this will need to be a team effort. Alternate the spy among our more physical backers. Jackson will get his on occasion, but if we can limit his success and meet him with solid car crashes consistently, I think he can be slowed. It's his body against several of ours. I will bet his gives first.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Won't be easy because Belichick clearly didn't have a clue.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The Texans have to make the Ravens as one dimensional as possible. I'd sell out to shut down the run game and short passing game to force Jackson to beat them through the air. It's going to take a very disciplined rush to contain Jackson.

I'm very concerned about the Ravens fooling Watson with blitz packages. It could get ugly, considering how they fooled Brady.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
The Texans have to make the Ravens as one dimensional as possible. I'd sell out to shut down the run game and short passing game to force Jackson to beat them through the air. It's going to take a very disciplined rush to contain Jackson.

I'm very concerned about the Ravens fooling Watson with blitz packages. It could get ugly, considering how they fooled Brady.
Maybe but Brady has also been showing his age this season and even if they do Watson is a better escape artist than Brady was even in his prime.

badboy

Hall of Fame
TK don't laugh but I'd begin with OLB Mingo. Forget everything for this game that we do not like about the trade bringing Mingo to this roster. Let's focus on a shadow for Jackson to mirror and disrupt him . Sacks and QB hits would be awesome but I am looking at frustrating LJ forcing him to keep his head on a swivel to avoid being clobbered. This is how Mingo was described at the combine.

"6'3" (pass disruption) 4.5 speed. excellent lateral speed and runs down the play from the back side like a cheetah after a gazelle."

Does he have that and can he use it at least for this one game? 7 year vet hopefully will not get rattled. Practice him during the bye for just this purpose.

frethack

Rookie
TK don't laugh but I'd begin with OLB Mingo. Forget everything for this game that we do not like about the trade bringing Mingo to this roster. Let's focus on a shadow for Jackson to mirror and disrupt him . Sacks and QB hits would be awesome but I am looking at frustrating LJ forcing him to keep his head on a swivel to avoid being clobbered. This is how Mingo was described at the combine.

"6'3" (pass disruption) 4.5 speed. excellent lateral speed and runs down the play from the back side like a cheetah after a gazelle."

Does he have that and can he use it at least for this one game? 7 year vet hopefully will not get rattled. Practice him during the bye for just this purpose.
If only we had a defender with size, 4.4 speed, great instincts, and a beast against the run.

I hope Mingo can be the guy to spy, because Mercilus will be outmatched by LJ speed. The only other LB that I think could be a matchup is Cunningham.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Maybe but Brady has also been showing his age this season and even if they do Watson is a better escape artist than Brady was even in his prime.
Brady's fine, Marshall Newhouse at LT says all you need to know.

Wynn will be back soon and the Pats offense will look better.

eriadoc

Texan-American
I don't think they have any electric playmakers aside from Jackson, and if you can keep him inside the pocket, you can beat him. Hollywood Brown is probably their most exciting playmaker, but he's a rookie and inconsistent. Mark Ingram is a good, solid RB, but he's not a real playmaker like CMC or Kamara, for example. Their TEs are nothing special. Play a contain style defense, collapse the middle of the pocket, and spy the QB.

eriadoc

Texan-American
If only we had a defender with size, 4.4 speed, great instincts, and a beast against the run.

I hope Mingo can be the guy to spy, because Mercilus will be outmatched by LJ speed. The only other LB that I think could be a matchup is Cunningham.
Cunningham. Runs like a deer, can lay the wood, smart. There's your spy. They put him on TEs a fair bit, but for this one, it's not like you're facing Kelce or Henry or someone similar.

Omerta

Waterboy
I think some of you were pretty close.

To dispel one myth, he's actually a pretty decent passer, this is not like last year where he couldn't hit water if you fell out of a boat. He is top 5 in QBR, with a completion percentage in the mid 60's, and only 5 picks on the year with 1900 yards, and 12 TD'S through the air. It is not as simple as making him throw, Belichek tried and he got burned.

As to how much is stop our offense, I think you have to try something nobody else did. There is one glaring weakness on our offense that can be exploited. Our interior o line is average at best. Our left tackle is one of the top three tackles in the game, and we have a young guy on the right side who is also very good. So with that being said, I think teams should try doing double a gap blitzs. Have the ends keep contain have your two defensive tackles take on a guard and then do a double a gap blitz on the center. You're going to throw off the timing of all the bootlegs, and the triple option game. And it's going to leave you one on one in man coverage, but as has been pointed out the only great pass-catcher we have is our tight end Mark Andrews.

Marquise Brown can burn you deep, but he's 165 lb. have your best corner play bump and run coverage on him, and give him a good jam at the line to disrupt the route. Have your next best cover man cover Mark Andrews, and then play zone.

someone also brought up a great point, is to keep them are Jackson off the field. He is lightning in a bottle, the more opportunities you give him he will eventually make you pay. If I were Bill O'Brien, I would be making sure to have my best pass-catching running back on the field, and just so long as he can kind of run between the tackles he's going to be hard to defend if you go no-huddle.

Our secondary is starting to come together, and we have the most talented secondary in the NFL. That said our interior linemen are very beatable, and we're not the greatest at covering with our linebackers. If you were to exploit angle and wheel routes with a running back off of play action in a no-huddle, I think you can find some success.

In my opinion this game boils down to 2 things and 2 things only. Our offensive line and your offensive line. if our offensive line can move your defensive line, and give the offense enough time to beat the blitz it could be a long day. On the flip side if the double a gap blitz works and you can smother the receivers for three or four seconds allowing the rush to get home, I think you're going to have some success with a spy on Jackson.

If your offensive line can keep Watson clean, and force our secondary to cover will Fuller and DeAndre Hopkins, I could also see you guys having a very good day. I'm not terribly concerned about Fuller, but DeAndre Hopkins is almost unguardable. The catch he made this year by pinning the football to the inside of his leg, and then catching it without dropping it on the turf, just one of the greater catches I've seen this year. You can't defend against things like that. The only thing you can do is make sure the quarterback doesn't have time to find him.

Just like we were a nightmare stylistic matchup against New England, I think our two worst stylistic matches left on the schedule are Houston and San Fran. I'm really not even that concerned about San Fran. Just like New England they've been beating up on cans. This game is going to be an amazing game to watch. If either quarterback gets loose, both teams will be in trouble. If they both get loose at the same time we're in for a real treat.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Gotta contain & when we get hands on him, bring him down. Can't miss tackles in general, but its extremely important against a guy like him whose arguably the best athlete on the field. Think its going to be key to stop their run game. Ingram II isn't running away from anyone, but he's a very capable & tough runner. When they run that RPO, we gotta take Jackson every time & make him give it to Ingram II.

If we have Roby, Johnson Jr. & Gipson back, i'm not too worried about them in the pass game. Roby should be able to handle Brown by himself & Snead isn't scaring me at all.

The key for us will be to do what we did to KC..keep Jackson & co. off the field & just wear them down with 10-14 play TD drives...not FGs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't think they have any electric playmakers aside from Jackson, and if you can keep him inside the pocket, you can beat him. Hollywood Brown is probably their most exciting playmaker, but he's a rookie and inconsistent. Mark Ingram is a good, solid RB, but he's not a real playmaker like CMC or Kamara, for example. Their TEs are nothing special. Play a contain style defense, collapse the middle of the pocket, and spy the QB.
They've got speed on the outside which opens up things for Jackson and Ingram. They also have a very good OL that's been healthy all year.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Baltimore has a very nice team @ 7-2... but

They won big @Miami
won by 6 at home over Arizona
lost @ KC
lost at home to Cleveland by 15
won by 3 in Pittsburgh
won by 6 at home over Cinci
won by 14 @ Seattle
bye week
won by 17 @ home over an undefeated NE team

Are they really that scary?

Texans need to play their game and win the clock and turnovers

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

They won big @Miami
lost @ KC
won by 3 in Pittsburgh
won by 14 @ Seattle
bye week

Honestly that Seattle game scares me more than the NE game. NE has been feasting on weak teams all season so its debatable how good a team they actually have this year.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Honestly that Seattle game scares me more than the NE game. NE has been feasting on weak teams all season so its debatable how good a team they actually have this year.
While the vaunted Patriots are 1-1 aganst teams with a winning record, Seattle is just 1-2

Seattle has also been feasting

eriadoc

Texan-American
Brady is also one of the best ever at seeing where the blitz is coming from. Watson is decidedly not.
Watson's improved greatly in that department, and I'm willing to bet he's further along in his development at this point in his career than Brady was at that point. People forget that Brady was a game manager early on.

Omerta

Waterboy

They won big @Miami
lost @ KC
won by 3 in Pittsburgh
won by 14 @ Seattle
bye week

This. Baltimore is a confounding team. They start off white hot. Drop 1 to Mahomes with the number one corner out, and get beat by the hapless Browns.

Trade for Marcus Peters and smack up Russel Wilson and the Seahawks in Seattle.

Then get the number one CB back and now it's Jimmy Smith, Marlon Humphrey, Marcus Peters, Brandon Carr, and Earl Thomas, and flat out embarras the Patriots.

So the question is exactly who the hell is Baltimore. A SB contender that is the AFC favorite, or just another team beating weak and overrated teams? I can't say I know for sure.

If we convincingly beat the Texans then it's the former, if not its the latter. The only thing that really sways me is that we are getting better. Beating Seattle by 14, then the Patriots by 17. If we are healing and gelling great, if this is just a case of not beating anybody then that Sunday could be the litmus.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Watson's improved greatly in that department, and I'm willing to bet he's further along in his development at this point in his career than Brady was at that point. People forget that Brady was a game manager early on.
You would be wrong, Brady was winning SB's

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker

Adjusting to their offense comprises mainly adjusting to their QB. Rush both ends to the outside and keep him from getting wide. If he scrambles, make him do it up the middle. If he throws it must be from the pocket.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I disagree with you on Watson being greatly improved in recognizing where blitzes are coming from. What does being a "game manager" have to do with being able to tell where a blitz is coming from? I couldn't care less where Watson compares to Brady at this stage of Watson's career. I care that the Ravens consistently disguised their blitzes well enough to confuse Brady at this stage of his career. Physical deterioration isn't going to make Brady suddenly unable to read a defense.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
This. Baltimore is a confounding team. They start off white hot. Drop 1 to Mahomes with the number one corner out, and get beat by the hapless Browns.

Trade for Marcus Peters and smack up Russel Wilson and the Seahawks in Seattle.

Then get the number one CB back and now it's Jimmy Smith, Marlon Humphrey, Marcus Peters, Brandon Carr, and Earl Thomas, and flat out embarras the Patriots.

So the question is exactly who the hell is Baltimore. A SB contender that is the AFC favorite, or just another team beating weak and overrated teams? I can't say I know for sure.

If we convincingly beat the Texans then it's the former, if not its the latter. The only thing that really sways me is that we are getting better. Beating Seattle by 14, then the Patriots by 17. If we are healing and gelling great, if this is just a case of not beating anybody then that Sunday could be the litmus.

Sounds a lot like the Texans ….

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Adjusting to their offense comprises mainly adjusting to their QB. Rush both ends to the outside and keep him from getting wide. If he scrambles, make him do it up the middle. If he throws it must be from the pocket.

Basically what I stated on page one but those wide rushers cannot go out the back door , they have to set and maintain that edge. In this game , their job is not so much getting to the QB but containing him - keeping him from getting outside the pocket - Let the pressure come from the middle.

If the outside rushers go out the back door …. they've basically taken themselves out of the play against Jackson - He'll get gone and they'll never recover and in not maintaining their edge responsibility , they'll open up an entire side of the field for him to run. And that's bad news.

The outside rushers have to think of it as kick coverage …. maintain your lane.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Brady won a SB in his second year... not because of QB play
He won 3 games in a row in the playoffs including the Tuck game in the snow and brilliantly lead his team to a GW FG in the last minute of the SB. Stuff that legends are made of, not just some game managing stiff like you're trying to make this out to be. We can only hope Watson can do this once in his career.

Reactions: ROO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I disagree with you on Watson being greatly improved in recognizing where blitzes are coming from. What does being a "game manager" have to do with being able to tell where a blitz is coming from? I couldn't care less where Watson compares to Brady at this stage of Watson's career. I care that the Ravens consistently disguised their blitzes well enough to confuse Brady at this stage of his career. Physical deterioration isn't going to make Brady suddenly unable to read a defense.
That game had nothing to do with physical deterioration or being unable to read a defnse. It had to do with an OL lead by Marshall Newhouse being a starting LT and the defense not being able contain Jackson. Still with all of this if Edelman wouldn't have fumbled for a TD the Pats would have had a chance to win even if it was an outside chance. I will take my chances with Belichick/Brady in the playoff against the Ravens with Wynn playing LT and their OL healthy.

badboy

Hall of Fame

If we could spare Lonnie Johnson at cornerback he would be another choice perhaps if Roby and Joseph are back?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Containment is the number one priority...............he has essentially doubled his rushing attempts per game since the first three games. The Ravens have told him they want him to run, as they think that is the best way they can win.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Although he has become better this year, like Watson, Jackson has still had ball security problems ............both tend to swing the loaf away from their body when scrambling behind the LOS and when running past the LOS. Our D should always "approach" Jackson with strip in mind.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think some of you were pretty close.

To dispel one myth, he's actually a pretty decent passer, this is not like last year where he couldn't hit water if you fell out of a boat. He is top 5 in QBR, with a completion percentage in the mid 60's, and only 5 picks on the year with 1900 yards, and 12 TD'S through the air. It is not as simple as making him throw, Belichek tried and he got burned.

As to how much is stop our offense, I think you have to try something nobody else did. There is one glaring weakness on our offense that can be exploited. Our interior o line is average at best. Our left tackle is one of the top three tackles in the game, and we have a young guy on the right side who is also very good. So with that being said, I think teams should try doing double a gap blitzs. Have the ends keep contain have your two defensive tackles take on a guard and then do a double a gap blitz on the center. You're going to throw off the timing of all the bootlegs, and the triple option game. And it's going to leave you one on one in man coverage, but as has been pointed out the only great pass-catcher we have is our tight end Mark Andrews.

Marquise Brown can burn you deep, but he's 165 lb. have your best corner play bump and run coverage on him, and give him a good jam at the line to disrupt the route. Have your next best cover man cover Mark Andrews, and then play zone.

someone also brought up a great point, is to keep them are Jackson off the field. He is lightning in a bottle, the more opportunities you give him he will eventually make you pay. If I were Bill O'Brien, I would be making sure to have my best pass-catching running back on the field, and just so long as he can kind of run between the tackles he's going to be hard to defend if you go no-huddle.

Our secondary is starting to come together, and we have the most talented secondary in the NFL. That said our interior linemen are very beatable, and we're not the greatest at covering with our linebackers. If you were to exploit angle and wheel routes with a running back off of play action in a no-huddle, I think you can find some success.

In my opinion this game boils down to 2 things and 2 things only. Our offensive line and your offensive line. if our offensive line can move your defensive line, and give the offense enough time to beat the blitz it could be a long day. On the flip side if the double a gap blitz works and you can smother the receivers for three or four seconds allowing the rush to get home, I think you're going to have some success with a spy on Jackson.

If your offensive line can keep Watson clean, and force our secondary to cover will Fuller and DeAndre Hopkins, I could also see you guys having a very good day. I'm not terribly concerned about Fuller, but DeAndre Hopkins is almost unguardable. The catch he made this year by pinning the football to the inside of his leg, and then catching it without dropping it on the turf, just one of the greater catches I've seen this year. You can't defend against things like that. The only thing you can do is make sure the quarterback doesn't have time to find him.

Just like we were a nightmare stylistic matchup against New England, I think our two worst stylistic matches left on the schedule are Houston and San Fran. I'm really not even that concerned about San Fran. Just like New England they've been beating up on cans. This game is going to be an amazing game to watch. If either quarterback gets loose, both teams will be in trouble. If they both get loose at the same time we're in for a real treat.
Reminder that number four did not have a great game against the Jags but Carlos Hyde went for 160 yards basically through the middle. Hopkins was limited to short completions to get first downs but that should not be his role. If Hyde and Duke Johnson play like last week and our tight ends have any type of productivity we should win regardless of how Watson does in the air

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Basically what I stated on page one but those wide rushers cannot go out the back door , they have to set and maintain that edge. In this game , their job is not so much getting to the QB but containing him - keeping him from getting outside the pocket - Let the pressure come from the middle.

If the outside rushers go out the back door …. they've basically taken themselves out of the play against Jackson - He'll get gone and they'll never recover and in not maintaining their edge responsibility , they'll open up an entire side of the field for him to run. And that's bad news.

The outside rushers have to think of it as kick coverage …. maintain your lane.
This is basically what we did against Minshew. Beginning of the game the goal was to pressure & contain. Sacking the QB was not the primary goal. Containing him & forcing the Jags to sustain drives.

Later, when the Jags got one dimensional we were able to get the sack.

Now, while Minshew is pretty good outside the pocket all his stuff is off script. Baltimore designs plays to get Jackson out of the pocket. & that's what I'm worried about.

I like Cunningham as the spy. But I don't want him to try to beat Jackson in the open field. But we should focus on making him run sideways until help arrives.

Omerta

Waterboy
Can you give me a link to the Ravens board?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I haven't seen much of the ravens but I watched them dismantle the Pat's. To me its paramount that we stop their run game. Getting a lead early might force them to abandon a heavy run game. If we have to force the issue by going for it on 4th down early or a couple of gadget plays I'm all in on that for an early lead.

On defense I'm going back to basics. Not on scheme, on technique. Fundamental form tackling. Arm tackles aren't bringing down Ingram. Head down blind diving wont work on L jack. Square up, watch the belt buckle, and wrap up. If I'm coaching defense we're refreshing on pursuit angles and aiming a yard plus on L. Jack because he's just that damn fast. Swarm tackle and abuse him when given the chance.

Schematicly, I'm aiming to stop the run. We've seen often that a 3-4 defense (in name) can really be a 5-2. That's where I start on the first few defensive drives if possible. Reader lines up over center and I bring the de's both a bit inside over the guards outside shoulder. Essentially, I'm stuffing the middle runs and concentrating my pass rush up the middle more effectively. My olbs line up farther outside then usual and show blitz on every down. Think of a wide 9 technique. Outside contain is priority on run plays. On pass plays they "mud rush" maintaining contain and gap integrity.

In this format they're forced to run everything between the guard and tackle. I'm funneling them to our inside backers. McKinney and Cunningham need to be on point for this game and have a chance to show what a great tandem they are.

On pass plays in base formation Cunningham is my QB spy. That changes in nickle and dime packages to a db if necessary. If we have trouble in this format stopping the run early I bring my CBS up in a bump and run. They throw off timing on pass plays that way and are more relevant in the run game being closer to the line of scrimmage.

Frankly, I don't fear their wrs. I force them to pass and I force them into long sustained drives if i can. I aim to take away the run and make them earn it again and again in a short passing game.

Later in the game if we have a lead and force them to abandon the run game I start mixing in different coverages. L Jack is still young and despite being a good passer, he can be fooled. I'm playing zone dogs and combo coverages like man on the weak side, zone strong side. As the game goes on, we start stunting defensive linemen and blitz McKinney more...

To sum it up, stop the run early. Get the lead and force them out of running. Then mix in stunts, coverages, exotic blitzes to confuse a young qb. I feel like this game plan evolves as the game and score progresses naturally. I feel like it fits. I think if our secondary is healthy we are superior to their wrs/tes.

Jmo. Thoughts?