Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Game 3...Afternooner...Los Angeles Chargers!

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
On Sunday, September 22nd at 3:25 pm CST, your Houston Texans will be in Los Angeles at ROKiT Field at Dignity Health Sports Park to take on the Los Angeles Chargers. The game will be aired on TV on CBS 11 and on radio on Sports Radio 610 AM.

The Texans offensive line improved somewhat last week over week 1. They were better in both pass and run blocking. They did, however, still make mistakes that got Watson hit hard several times. Still need to improve. The running game was nice to watch with Duke Johnson and Carlos Hyde toting the rock. They'll just keep getting better the longer the're in the system. Watson needs to get in tune with his receivers and learn how to use the check-downs and tight ends. He also needs to learn how to manage the clock and when and how to use time outs. The run defense is very stout. The pass defense, however, needs to catch up. Quickly.

Here are the 2 teams.

Your Houston Texans
Offense:
WR DeAndre Hopkins
LT Laremy Tunsil, Roderick Johnson
LG Tytus Howard, Senio Kelemete
C Nick Martin, Greg Mancz
RG Zach Fulton, Max Scharping
RT Seantrel Henderson
TE Darren Fells, Jordan Akins, Jerell Adams, Logan Paulsen
WR Keke Coutee, DeAndre Carter
WR Will Fuller V, Kenny Stills
QB Deshaun Watson, AJ McCarron, Alex McGough
RB Duke Johnson, Carlos Hyde, Taiwan Jones, Buddy Howell, Cullen Gillaspia

Defense:
DE J.J. Watt, Charles Omenihu
NT D.J. Reader, Brandon Dunn
DE Angelo Blackson, Carlos Watkins
OLB Whitney Mercilus, Barkevious Mingo
ILB Benardrick McKinney, Peter Kalambayi
ILB Zach Cunningham, Dylan Cole
OLB Brennan Scarlett, Jacob Martin
CB Johnathan Joseph, Phillip Gaines, Xavier Crawford
CB Bradley Roby, Keion Crossen, Lonnie Johnson Jr.
S Tashaun Gipson Sr., Jahleel Addae
S Justin Reid, A.J. Moore

Special Teams:
K Ka'imi Fairbairn
P Trevor Daniel
LS Jon Weeks
KR DeAndre Carter, Taiwan Jones
PR DeAndre Carter, Keke Coutee
H Trevor Daniel

The Los Angeles Chargers
Offense:
WR Keenan Allen, Travis Benjamin, Dontrelle Inman
LT Trent Scott, Trey Pipkins
LG Dan Feeney, Scott Quessenberry
C Mike Pouncey
RG Michael Schofield III, Forrest Lamp
RT Sam Tevi
TE Hunter Henry, Virgil Green, Sean Culkin
WR Mike Williams, Geremy Davis
QB Philip Rivers, Tyrod Taylor, Easton Stick
FB Derek Watt
RB Austin Ekeler, Justin Jackson, Troymaine Pope

Defense:
DE Joey Bosa, Isaac Rochell
DT Justin Jones, Jerry Tillery, Cortez Broughton
NT Brandon Mebane, Damion Square
DE Melvin Ingram III
LB Thomas Davis Sr., Jatavis Brown, Nick Dzubnar
LB Denzel Perryman, Kyzir White, Drue Tranquill
LB Uchenna Nwosu, Emeke Egbule
LCB Michael Davis, Trevor Williams, Brandon Facyson
S Rayshawn Jenkins, Desmond King II, Nasir Adderley
S Adrian Phillips, Jaylen Watkins
RCB Casey Hayward Jr. , Roderic Teamer

Special Teams:
P Ty Long
K Michael Badgley, Ty Long
H Ty Long, Tyrod Taylor
LS Cole Mazza
KR Desmond King II, Austin Ekeler, Travis Benjamin
PR Desmond King II, Travis Benjamin, Troymaine Pope

In this game, it will be very important for Deshaun to improve his accuracy dramatically over last week and hit his receivers instead of launching it over their heads or throwing it at their feet. He also needs to learn to look for his check-downs. The running game should be effective in this game and keep the ball moving, but Watson needs to find his mojo with his receivers and start hooking up on those passes for the big strikes. The running game should open that up for him. With Joey Bosa on the other side of the line, The O-line needs to keep him at bay and give Watson the time he needs to hit his receivers and they also need to open up lanes for Carlos and Duke to pound the ball down the field. Hopefully, Hopkins and Fuller will get over their dropsies and start catching the ball.
On defense, keep Keenan Allen blanketed and don't let him get loose through the secondary.
Watt will be facing his brother, Derek, on the other side of the ball trying to keep him off Phillip and away from Eckeler and Jackson. Which brother will prevail.
Mercilus just needs to keep up his beast mode and get after every play. Get Phillip off his game and keep him running for his life. Maybe chase him into Watt's waiting arms a few times.
I think our Texans are going to improve over last week and get back to being a dangerous aerial attack as well as bowling over the D-line with a nice running attack.
The Texans win this one decisively.

Texans 28
Chargers 20

Last edited:
This should be another battle of the defenses. Very good chance this will be a low scoring game. But then again Rivers is really good at getting the ball quick and will dink/donk you to death. With the way we play off of these receivers, it could get very ugly for our secondary and defense.

On offense I surely hope Obrien brings out his creativity playbook. If he throws in some blitz killers and really allow Hyde to run more. I can see the offense putting up more points. And possibly beating the crap out of the Chargers.

Tough one, Chargers are suppose to have a great defense then they go and lose to Detroit. I actually thought it was against league rules to lose to Detroit. At the same time our Oline is still a big question mark, Deshaun holds the ball to long and BoB hasn't been creative with the play calling. If they keep blitzing Watson we could have a high sack count. On defense side Rivers is the modern Dan Marino. A good QB that has just never been able to get to the next level to be great but against our non-existent air defense and with Watt seemly not able to get to QB I think he is going to look like a star.

Hate to say it but

Chargers: 30
Texans 12

This is a game we can win or get blown out in. The defense has to play solid, especially the defensive backfield. The offense needs to duplicate what it did against NO with long sustained drives and keep the defense off the field. If we can dominate time of possession and make each drive count, we can win. If we get in a shootout, we tend to lose those games in the end after getting the game winning score, only to be let down when the opposing team drives the field and steals the win from us.

I never made a claim we did. And I also didn't fault our defense for the result of that game.

You made the claim that the Chargers must not have a good defense simply because they lost to detroit when their defense wasn't the issue there.

I never made any such claim, you just read it that way. I said they are suppose to have a good defense but they lost to Detroit. They may still have a good one but they sure didn't show it. Go and look at some of the player interviews post game, even the Chargers said they, the whole team defense included, did a crap job. Jags are also suppose to have a top 5 defense but KC lit them up and we beat them as well.

I never made any such claim, you just read it that way. I said they are suppose to have a good defense but they lost to Detroit. They may still have a good one but they sure didn't show it. Go and look at some of the player interviews post game, even the Chargers said they, the whole team defense included, did a crap job. Jags are also suppose to have a top 5 defense but KC lit them up and we beat them as well.

Sure.

Chargers have a good QB and our HC has a hard time against them.
Getting beat by Detroit shows they are vulnerable but does OB have the chops to expose them?
Texans will have to play up to their week 1 effort to toss the Chargers.
Possible win here but has the makings of another bitter disappointment so we must play well.

My prediction is that we should win by about 50.

No way we can play a team with as horrendous a defense as LA and not hang at least 50+ on them.

Tough one, Chargers are suppose to have a great defense then they go and lose to Detroit. I actually thought it was against league rules to lose to Detroit. At the same time our Oline is still a big question mark, Deshaun holds the ball to long and BoB hasn't been creative with the play calling. If they keep blitzing Watson we could have a high sack count. On defense side Rivers is the modern Dan Marino. A good QB that has just never been able to get to the next level to be great but against our non-existent air defense and with Watt seemly not able to get to QB I think he is going to look like a star.

Hate to say it but

Chargers: 30
Texans 12

The Miami Dolphins have taken over that prestigious title.

This is a game we can win or get blown out in. The defense has to play solid, especially the defensive backfield. The offense needs to duplicate what it did against NO with long sustained drives and keep the defense off the field. If we can dominate time of possession and make each drive count, we can win. If we get in a shootout, we tend to lose those games in the end after getting the game winning score, only to be let down when the opposing team drives the field and steals the win from us.
Holding a team to 13 points in the present era of the NFL is a pretty decent job by a defense. That loss is on the offense's inability to score. The defense put them in a position to win. It wasn't the defense that let them down.

I don't usually make predictions, but here goes:

Without taking into account BOB's offensive scheme and gaffs, the score should be:

Texans 30, Chargers 17

Considering BOB's scheme and gaffs, and adding in a little fan emotion on my part:

Texans 20, Chargers 17

Yeah, it is my assertion that DABOB costs us 10 points per game.

I'm not sure if either team is worth spit. But, both could wind up in the playoffs. The AFC is horrible this year.

Rivers is gonna carve our secondary up like a Thanksgiving Turkey ........ rendering our already anemic pass rush null and void smh.......

Our offense is the meaning of Jekyl and Hyde so I don’t know which one will show up so I can’t even make a prediction on them......

Run blocking

John Harris explains why Carlos was able to run so free so often. It's only going to get better as this O-line learns each other and communicates better and as the running backs learn how to hit the seams created.
This running game is going to be great this year. Call it the Tunsil Effect.

I think the run game is one of the biggest positives of the season so far, but I'm going to hold my enthusiasm down some for now. There's a reason Hyde is on his 5th team since '17.

1. Duke Johnson should get fewer running plays and more RB receiving plays. Like Lamar Miller he was signed to offer QB a quick target.

2. Tunsil needs to lead more screen plays.

3. Expect to see Roby replacing Colvin at Nickel with Lonnie Johnson outside opposite Joseph. All three need to play closer in press coverage. We have the speed-- use it.

4. Hope they practised Howard at LG and Roderick Johnson at right tackle.

5. Despite the money for Martin, I expect to see Fulton at center sooner than later with Scharping growth at RG the impetus for that move.

6. We have a FB so use for blocking or cut him. Love to see Duke in slot with Gallaspia blocking.

7. Inside LB and SS need to shut down middle of field where Rivers excels.

8. Want to see some Omenihu playing with Watt on field.

9. Call some plays for Fuller!
caught four of seven targets for 40 yards during Sunday's 13-12 win against the Jaguars.

In the early going of 2019 Fuller has seen his per-game receiving output dip down to 54.5 from a mark of 71.2 last year, but what is of greater concern is the lack of touchdown production. The Notre Dame product owned a career TD rate of 12.1 entering this season, and during 2018 amassed an impressive four receiving scores in less than half a season. Surely it's too early to sound the alarm, especially with an upcoming matchup against a Chargers defense that's contained opponents to 217.5 passing yards per game this year, but has surrendered four receiving touchdowns to three different players.
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/f...l-fuller-ties-nuk-for-team-high-in-receiving/

10. I want see clear evidence Kelly is calling plays.

1. Duke Johnson should get fewer running plays and more RB receiving plays. Like Lamar Miller he was signed to offer QB a quick target.

2. Tunsil needs to lead more screen plays.

3. Expect to see Roby replacing Colvin at Nickel with Lonnie Johnson outside opposite Joseph. All three need to play closer in press coverage. We have the speed-- use it.

4. Hope they practised Howard at LG and Roderick Johnson at right tackle.

5. Despite the money for Martin, I expect to see Fulton at center sooner than later with Scharping growth at RG the impetus for that move.

6. We have a FB so use for blocking or cut him. Love to see Duke in slot with Gallaspia blocking.

7. Inside LB and SS need to shut down middle of field where Rivers excels.

8. Want to see some Omenihu playing with Watt on field.

9. Call some plays for Fuller! https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/f...l-fuller-ties-nuk-for-team-high-in-receiving/

10. I want see clear evidence Kelly is calling plays.
Gillaspia had some monster blocks Sunday

Someone asked me to actually attend this game.

Imagine me spending a ******* dime on this shitty ass embarrassment of a franchise AND braving hours of traffic in this hopeless ******* hell we call LA AND sacrificing my ability to watch other games on one of the few precious football Sundays that exist AND sit in the stands in the heat with a bunch of dirty, drunk Chargers fans just to watch these losers dick around.

No thanks. No.

Imagine me spending a ******* dime on this shitty ass embarrassment of a franchise AND braving hours of traffic in this hopeless ******* hell we call LA AND sacrificing my ability to watch other games on one of the few precious football Sundays that exist AND sit in the stands in the heat with a bunch of dirty, drunk Chargers fans just to watch these losers dick around.

No thanks. No.
Aye, wise man you are...

No thanks. No.

My aren't we just a bundle of joy

It's hot in L.A.?

Nope, it's hot in Houston.

Toughen up man.

Houston Texans @ Los Angeles Chargers

NFL Players to Watch

Just when you thought he couldn’t get any better, Chargers veteran Keenan Allen is well on his way to a career year in 2019. Through Week 2, Allen owns an NFL-high 39.7% aimed target share in Los Angeles’ offense and an even more impressive 13.36 average depth of target. He’s hauled in 16 receptions from 25 targets for 221 yards, 11 first downs and one touchdown en route to an 81.6 overall grade on 111 total offensive snaps.

Allen should be licking his chops entering the Chargers’ Week 3 matchup with the Texans. Starting safeties Justin Reid and Tashaun Gipson Sr. both have earned sub-55.0 overall grades to start the season, and veteran Jonathan Joseph is the team’s highest-graded cornerback at 62.9. Houston’s defense currently ranks 25th in passer rating allowed (123.7) when opposing offenses target either slot or outside wide receivers.

Fantasy Football Preview

Injury created two target monsters in Week 2. Zach Ertz got 15 targets for Philadelphia with so many of the team’s pass-catchers shelved during the game. And Keenan Allen got 15 as well for the Chargers with Hunter Henry out and Mike Williams at less than 100% (to be fair, he still got five targets). Considering we might not see Henry again for quite a while, Allen could be the favorite to lead the league in targets the rest of the way.

Greenline Preview

Spread: LAC -3 | Total: 47.5

The total has held steady to start the week with the spread pinballing between -3 and -3.5 depending on juice. Greenline gives the fifth-ranked Chargers a 62% win probability with our spread prediction falling right in line with consensus markets.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-nfl-we...il&utm_term=0_ae3f4210bf-a6bd905bd4-216865417

Back