Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

G.O.A.T. or duck: Bill Belichick

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/opp.htm (I just went through every year manually)

Total Team Defense rankings

New England Patriots

1996 – 14th
1997 – 9th
1998 – 14th
1999 – 7th
2000 – 17th
2001 – 6th
2002 – 17th
2003 – 1rst
2004 – 3rd
2005 – 17th
2006 – 2nd
2007 – 4th
2008 – 8th
2009 – 5th
2010 – 8th
2011 – 15th
2012 – 10th
2013 – 10th
2014 – 8th
2015 – 10th
2016 – 1rst
2017 – 5th
2018 – 7th
2019 – 1rst
2020 – 7th

That kind of effort put forth by your defense year after year sure takes some pressure off your offense.

19 out of 25 years with a top 10 Defense.

8 in the top 5.

Last edited:
As usual you miss the point, take a statement completely out of context…& you’re wrong. Clutch is relative….Brady’s “clutchness” in those early years….which is what I was referring to, mostly amounted to him relying on BB ‘s defense shutting down some of the most prolific offenses, & being a high end game manager that moved the ball 30-45 yards so that Vinatieri could perform the real clutch act of kicking the game winning FG. There’s a reason he is considered the most clutch kicker in NFL history & it’s b/c 3 SB’s were won directly due to that guy’s foot.

Brady damn near threw the 1st SB away with that tuck rule nonsense, and in those other early 2 he only threw for more than 250 yards in a game once in 6 games….& you can argue that was really only b/c that SB went to OT. Yeah he gets some credit for moving them in position for the GW FG….but how hard is it really for an NFL Qb to throw check downs all the way into FG position against a defense playing prevent trying not to get beat deep in a close game? Schaub with our best teams just was never close enough in a lot of games to have that scenario arise…but we saw him do it a few times….only to watch Chris Brown and Fat Bullock blow the games.

Brady lead the Pats to a SB win in the las min against a heavily favored Rams team. He didn't do that by hitting a bunch of checkdowns. BTW, you bring up the tuck rule game. Having 3 feet of snow on the field might have had something to do with his struggles. Gannon struggled too. Bottom line is Brady brought his team back and they ended up winning a SB. Now if you want to make the case that Vinatieri was the MVP of both the AFCCG and the SB I will agree with you. I dont care about how many yds a guy throws for, I care about if he can lead a team down the field at the end of the game to a TD or a FG to win a game and there's no comparison between Brady/Schaub when it come to this metric.

Still Schaub was nowhere as good as Brady even when Brady was young. You can make a case the 2009 Schaub was better, but that team went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. Truth is they missed the playoffs because of a pick 6 in Glendale that I happened to go watch. Sadly that day was a forerunner of things of things to come for Schaub's career and I was a Schaub guy.

Last edited:
That was my thought also. I was really surprised that Belichick allowed O'Brien to return.

It makes you wonder what is going to happen in the coming years -

Is Belicheck going to try to go like Parcells and run the team as GM like Parcells in NY did? Then let someone else take over as coach? But GM isn’t Belicheck’s strong point. So will someone else come in as GM. Never going to happen. Belicheck will quit first.

Will OB take over? Or will Josh McDaniels return as HC or OC? Will Tim Kelly eventually return to OB?

So many twists and turns.

Placing here due to O'Brien and his destruction of Texans. I understand if it is moved to NFL thread.
Well, I don't think much of BO'b the coach so I don't believe for a second his ways would have worked any better. I understand what they're saying & if I thought BO'b was a good coach I'd think they have a point. But I see BO'b as someone who has to have the framework set up around him to be effective.

I wonder how much of the Alabama offensive staff BO'b brought in.

That reeks of the OB leaks that we had here when it was OB vs Rick Smith.

Yep. I posted a similar thought in the NFL random thought forum. All of a sudden, leaks and unknown sources are circling like buzzards around the Patriots facility.

Well, this is interesting. Last offseason, there were reports that Jerod Mayo was going to be Belichick's successor. With rumors of this being Belichick last year, "sources" are whispering about Mayo, "rubbing people the wrong way". Based on his M.O., I wonder if Mayo is looking sideways at BOB.

Patriots Rumors: Jerod Mayo Rubbing People 'Wrong Way' This Season? (nesn.com)

Yep. I posted a similar thought in the NFL random thought forum. All of a sudden, leaks and unknown sources are circling like buzzards around the Patriots facility.

I remember reading your post and didn’t put the dots together of who BOB was.

You are right and were probably first.

It ain’t no coincidence that these two leaks come out where OB/BOB is employed.

Well, I don't think much of BO'b the coach so I don't believe for a second his ways would have worked any better. I understand what they're saying & if I thought BO'b was a good coach I'd think they have a point. But I see BO'b as someone who has to have the framework set up around him to be effective.

I don't know if it would have mattered. He was basically running Saban's offense and I don't know how many coaches on the Alabama staff were hired by him or Saban and how many would be willing to follow him to the Patriots.

I think the article said two and one, i i r c was an assistant quarterback coach.

Gosh, just now discovering this thread. I had posted thoughts along these lines in a main forum thread unaware of this thread. I guess I'm in the camp that thinks Belichik ain't all that without Brady.

I give Belichik credit for always having a pretty good defense and keeping the talent coming in year after year. Still, I think it was Brady who made it all work... Brady made it look easy. Generally speaking, he just didn't miss in the 4th quarter. "Choke" was not in his vocabulary. "Productive" - that was Brady.

Pats went 6-3 in Superb Owls during the Brady/Belichik era. That's dynasty material, no?

I give Belichik credit for always having a pretty good defense and keeping the talent coming in year after year. Still, I think it was Brady who made it all work... Brady made it look easy. Generally speaking, he just didn't miss in the 4th quarter. "Choke" was not in his vocabulary. "Productive" - that was Brady.
I just can't get over the first 6 years of Brady. He was not that "Super Bowl MVP" that most people know nowadays. On most teams he'd have probably been replaced before he had a chance to become that "Super Bowl MVP."

I just can't get over the first 6 years of Brady. He was not that "Super Bowl MVP" that most people know nowadays. On most teams he'd have probably been replaced before he had a chance to become that "Super Bowl MVP."

1st 6 years? As opposed to the last 13? OK.

He finished 3rd in league MVP voting twice and made the Pro Bowl 3 times during those first 6 years. Also, the Pats went 3-0 in Superbowls and Brady was Superbowl MVP twice during that time. Not bad for a game manager....

Not bad for a game manager....
But a game manager all the same. No shame in that, Troy Aikman punched his HOF ticket as a game manager.

Brady was clutch & tough as nails those 1st six years. But at that time I was squarely in the "Peyton Manning is the best QB in the league" camp. Belichick made Tom Brady in those years, continually putting him in position for that clutch gene to win the game... well, Brady got Vinatieri in position, but you know what I mean.

After that Brady morphed into something else & Bill was just along for the ride.

It’d be lovely to be having this conversation about DeMeco and Stroud in a couple of decades time “oh DeMeco wasn’t all that without Stroud”.

I’ll always believe there is a separate skill in picking your QB, developing him, putting the team around him to allow that to develop, and then to continue to make it work once he’s getting paid the majority of your free cap space.

Plenty of good QBs fail because of the situation, plenty of good coaches fail because of the QB, and loads of mediocre teams exist with franchise QBs, also.

Coaches don’t get long to find their man in the NFL, honestly I would probably give someone else the next crack of the whip in New England just like Kraft has, although I reckon Belichick shouldn’t have hitched his horse to Mac Jones. Will be interesting if he gets a second opportunity, can he catch lightning a second time and find another QB? He certainly won’t have another 20 year run, though, given his age.

But a game manager all the same. No shame in that, Troy Aikman punched his HOF ticket as a game manager.

Brady was clutch & tough as nails those 1st six years. But at that time I was squarely in the "Peyton Manning is the best QB in the league" camp. Belichick made Tom Brady in those years, continually putting him in position for that clutch gene to win the game... well, Brady got Vinatieri in position, but you know what I mean.

After that Brady morphed into something else & Bill was just along for the ride.

I saw a talking head break it all down when Brady retired. They broke up his career stats into 3 different careers. The guy had 3 different career averages that were HOF career #s.

I give a lot of credit to Bill for their success.. mainly for getting everyone to buy into his "team/patriot way" which is why they were able to stay on top for so long. People signed for below market value, but when your QB does how can you argue?

The thing that hurts Bill Belichick is his coaching tree is basically a telephone pole while coach branches like Bill Walsh are still winning titles and are innovative in the NFL. The hoodie was probably as bad as my grandma was/is with her cooking recipes.. I'm sure there's a LOT of ingredients the man simply didn't teach to his staff. He always viewed them as future competitors.

Back