Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

First Round Trade

Like I stated earlier, would not have traded down this far without more comp in return, instead just slightly tilted in Texan favor. Yet, it does add another quality prospect in 2025. Most years, this would be ideal, but very very doubtful a 1st rd. graded player is there #42. Most years there might be only 15 carrying 1st rd grades, this one it’s close to 30 (which is range where I’d been more comfortable). Depth of 2nd round grades might be close to 20 so at least we’re almost certain to draft one of those and possibly one next year as well.

Anymore trades before draft involving giving up draft capital should be discouraged. Day of or on the clock scenario’s all in play, would be ok.
I like the trade down, because the only other than Thomas, there are guys I like as much at 2-42 as 1-23.

McConkey, Wilson I like as much as anybody at 1-23, some more. I also like Fiske and Sweat a lot.

Battle Red Blog made this suggestion as to what Nick might do with his newly aquired 2nd Round draft capital:

Option Three: Texans trade the second and sixth rounder for Jeffrey Simmons

The Texans lost both of their starting defensive tackles from this past season. DeMeco Ryans has said he wanted to seriously upgrade his defensive line. Adding someone like Simmons would give the Texans three Pro Bowl caliber players Like Diggs he is also signed to a long-term deal, so you would just be assuming the yearly salary and not the signing bonus. He is fairly affordable for the next two seasons until the contract escalates in the last two seasons.

The positives are obvious. Having three starters on the defensive line and four regular rotation players that can get after the quarterback is awfully enticing. You could credibly claim the Texans could be a top five defensive immediately. The downside is that you would be investing nearly a quarter of your cap in the defensive line even before Will Anderson’s rookie contract is up.

I think the likelyhood of this happening are between Zero and Zero. Amy Adams Skrunk's hatred of all things Houston Texans would prevent this trade from ever happening unless we way over paid, in such away that it was obvious a huge win for the Titans, and a huge loss for the Texans.

Out of spite, she would never allow a reasonable deal to be consummated.

Last edited:
Lance Zierlein latest Texan mock move -
PROJECTED TRADE WITH RAMS

GM Nick Caserio follows up his aggressive (and successful) 2023 draft with a move up the board for a big, fast cornerback to pair with Derek Stingley Jr., as the Texans seek to take a step forward in competing with the top offenses in the league.

GM Nick Caserio follows up his aggressive (and successful) 2023 draft with a move up the board for a big, fast cornerback to pair with Derek Stingley Jr., as the Texans seek to take a step forward in competing with the top offenses in the league.

Your best guess ... who will man our front five .... seems to have faded into irrelevancy ?

That's an old mock from March 04, before the trade of #23

I don't like this trade. Not this early. You never know what happens draft day. Maybe somebody falls from the top 10 in the draft and either you pick him up or another team values him and over pays. If you're at 23 and there's nobody you like this seems like the kind of deal I would do to get out of the pick. The problem is we just did the deal without seeing if somebody falls or something happens to increase the value

If you're at 23 and there's nobody you like this seems like the kind of deal I would do to get out of the pick.
It's the "bird in one hand is worth two in the bush" analogy. The Texans had a deal they could make, now. A bunch of maybes and what ifs on draft day. You came up with plenty of possibilities, but no sure thing. The Texans went with the sure thing.

It's the "bird in one hand is worth two in the bush" analogy. The Texans had a deal they could make, now. A bunch of maybes and what ifs on draft day. You came up with plenty of possibilities, but no sure thing. The Texans went with the sure thing.
I think that extra second for the 2025 draft is the only extra pick for that draft at this point.

I don't like this trade. Not this early. You never know what happens draft day. Maybe somebody falls from the top 10 in the draft and either you pick him up or another team values him and over pays. If you're at 23 and there's nobody you like this seems like the kind of deal I would do to get out of the pick. The problem is we just did the deal without seeing if somebody falls or something happens to increase the value
I think Ryans & Caserio wanted two starters rather than one at 23. In some drafts, 23rd guy could be much greater than 42 and say 42 in 2025 but not this draft.
Waiting could have brought a better trade but could also have not brought trade at all. They gambled as they did with taking Anderson. Not everyone cheered.

Vikings allegedly pressured this deal. I think would have traded elsewhere if Nick said no.
What do you think the odds are going to be that a top 10 Falls to 23? It's just like gambling. You're sure you will get 2 starters at 42 & 59; might not get any of those you want at 23.
That doesn't even consider if Nick turns those two into 4 . 😁

I think Ryans & Caserio wanted two starters rather than one at 23. In some drafts, 23rd guy could be much greater than 42 and say 42 in 2025 but not this draft.
Waiting could have brought a better trade but could also have not brought trade at all. They gambled as they did with taking Anderson. Not everyone cheered.

Vikings allegedly pressured this deal. I think would have traded elsewhere if Nick said no.
What do you think the odds are going to be that a top 10 Falls to 23? It's just like gambling. You're sure you will get 2 starters at 42 & 59; might not get any of those you want at 23.
Somebody always falls.

I mean Diggs trade makes it look better but before that I still feel like the pick gets you more in return on the day of.

I hated this trade initially but the Diggs trade makes me like it. #23 for #42 and Stefon Diggs? Sign me up. That's not even counting the 5th and two 6th's we got in these deals as well.

I agree, I was pretty even on the trade but this makes it all work. I think nearly everyone (including the NFL GMs) over values 2nd rounders, there's only a 33% chance that a 2nd rounder becomes a starter in the league. Trading next year's %33 chance for an All-Pro player with a very reasonable contract (no guarantees after 2024) works for me. You do have to pay him and he is getting older, but sometimes you have to take a shot.

People are going to really freak out when Caserio trades one of this year's 2nd round picks for 2025 draft picks... I won't predict that, specifically, but I bet we see them add 2025 draft picks by trading 2024 picks at some point in the first four rounds.

People are going to really freak out when Caserio trades one of this year's 2nd round picks for 2025 draft picks... I won't predict that, specifically, but I bet we see them add 2025 draft picks by trading 2024 picks at some point in the first four rounds.

I've always been a proponent of taking advantage of the "this years pick is equal to a round above next year" concept (ie. you trade your second this year for a first next year.) You would think that a team would take the one single year hit, to make sure they are getting they are getting two first rounders every year after by constantly trading their seconds.

So in theory if the Texans traded a 2nd this year, for a first next year I wouldn't have an issue (once I overcame my short term disappointment.)

I've always been a proponent of taking advantage of the "this years pick is equal to a round above next year" concept (ie. you trade your second this year for a first next year.) You would think that a team would take the one single year hit, to make sure they are getting they are getting two first rounders every year after by constantly trading their seconds.

So in theory if the Texans traded a 2nd this year, for a first next year I wouldn't have an issue (once I overcame my short term disappointment.)

I could see something like the Texans trading pick #59 for a 2025 2nd and a 2024 4th... or something like that. We won't be getting compensatory picks of any significance next year... and we are already bringing in so much new talent: it just makes sense to convert some of our picks to 2025 picks... and they could do it without getting premium value for it.

Anybody you'd like? I mean you could have gotten the best defensive player in the draft at 14.

Anybody you'd like? I mean you could have gotten the best defensive player in the draft at 14.
2.42 CB KoolAide McKinstry once considered best corner in draft. I think his passes defensed dropped due to teams throwing away from him (15 down to 7). His team mate & my favorite Terrion Arnold with 12 in 2023. Arnold availability here will of course depend on at least 2 teams taking others. I have odds of him being at 42 behind Newton. Arnold considered "safer" pick but Kool possibly has higher ceiling playing opposite Sting.

2.59 LB Peyton Wilson great size at blinding speed with good skills & abilities.
  • Wilson, meanwhile, claimed the 2023 Butkus (best linebacker) and Bednarik (top defensive player) awards. He was a unanimous All-American selection and the 2023 ACC Defensive Player of the Year after he logged 138 total tackles, including a conference-best 17.5 for a loss.
www.msn.com › en-us › sports

3.86 RB Blake Corum remained in back of mind no matter who I mocked here. He makes touch downs. Many touch downs. Very strong with 225 x 30 + his shuttle & 3 cone were good. Slippery with plug and play in all offensive schemes. He needs refinement in PB but is willing and this season CJ will not need it as much. A difference maker putting points on board; a lot of points. *If CB not taken by here, I would take one.

4.123 WR Brenden Rice another player who keeps saying "pick me!" Allows coaches time to have Rice develop behind our starters. If he is half of his dad, he is a keeper.

4.127 OT Javon Foster may be a bit high but if Howard goes out; I think Foster could beat out Heck before season out.

6.188 DT Khristian Boyd may be too low for him but I did see a mock with him round 6. I realize most are clamoring for a higher selection for this position but value + what we have now; it can wait.

6.189 CB Decamerion Richardson by Ian Cummings a possible diamond.

Decamerion Richardson’s Draft Profile and Measurements​

• Height: 6’2 1/4″
  • Weight: 188 pounds
  • Length: 32 3/8″
  • Wingspan: 77 7/8″
  • Hand: 8 7/8″
  • Position: Cornerback
  • School: Mississippi State
  • Current Year: Senior
Prospect evaluation is ultimately about projecting what players can be. And in that exercise, Richardson stands out as a high-potential investment for NFL teams to consider.

Richardson first joined the Mississippi State Bulldogs as a three-star recruit in 2020, joining a defensive backfield that’s produced NFL talents like Martin Emerson and Emmanuel Forbes.

In his third year, Richardson saw his first full-time starting action, amassing 85 tackles, a tackle for loss, and three pass breakups in 2022. In 2023, he reached a career-high seven pass breakups and declared for the 2024 NFL Draft with eligibility remaining.

Richardson sometimes gets lost in the 2024 NFL Draft class, but all of the physical tools are there, and at its best moments, the tape is extremely compelling. At the NFL Combine, Richardson reaffirmed that potential with a 4.34-second 40-yard dash, a 6.96 three-cone, a 35″ vertical, and a 10’8″ vertical.

All of the measurements and testing numbers tell of unmatched upside with Richardson — but are there silver linings on the tape to warrant taking him early in the 2024 NFL Draft? That’s what we’re here to discuss.
So far so good. Are you following the draft thread?

Back