Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

First draft choice?

Two different teams drafting in the top 10 picks of the first round reportedly have both offered their first round pick for Clowney ?
Perhaps the report is real but I'm totally not buying the accuracy of said report.

It's just a report and we all have different ideas as to the relevancy of the report. Me, I'm not only hoping for the best but I'd be happy to see both franchises up their potential offer(s) if Clowney is truly on either radar. Getting a pick that early in RD1 could certainly help the Texans.

My board: Jonah Williams or Dalton Risner

Most realistic:

Greg Little. Williams unlikely to be at 23 and Risner RT with less length than Little. Who brings ideal measurables to LT position though i’d say he’s a tier behind Williams/Risner as a talent.

It must be just a rumor. Gaine wouldn't be fool enough to refuse Lions' 1st for him.
Wasn't that long ago posters thought I was silly for giving Clowney approx 1200 point valuation. FYI #8 = 1400. No reason for Gaines not to say to any offer "thanks but we think we can get more as we really like JD and do not have to trade him." Still lots of time for pressure to build. As I said long time ago, Houston for once in very good position. Come on Gaines, make me proud. More than one good trade can be pulled off. I said this could be best Texans draft ever. We'll see. Loving ever minute of it.

You take that all day every day. We could trade back with that pick and get multiple picks.

The 1.8 or 1.9 trade offers (if true) may have also been contingent on Clowney signing his franchise tag. Teams may not want to risk that big of a trade on someone that might be malcontent. IMO, the best time to trade Clowney was a year ago when he was coming off a great season in 2017 and still had a cheap year left on his rookie contract, but that's water under the bridge. Gaine did well in his first draft ever, last year, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I do hope Clowney is traded soon as this draft is deep in talent and we could really use the extra draft picks.

Clowney might be a draft day trade. Gaine might try to milk him for every last drop.

If they are offering just a 1st NOW, maybe on draft day they offer a 1 and a 3.

Clowney might be a draft day trade. Gaine might try to milk him for every last drop.

That was my first thought also as I'm hoping Giants and Raiders make offers driving up price. More likely a 4th than round three but fun to anticipate, eh? :piano:

it’s not just about being a first round pick second round pick third round pick. It’s about value. A top-10 pick Is worth twice as much as a late first. For clowney You’re gonna want to get at least 1300 to 1400 point value.

That was my first thought also as I'm hoping Giants and Raiders make offers driving up price. More likely a 4th than round three but fun to anticipate, eh? :piano:

Clowney could be traded. But he's not getting traded to the Lions, Giants or Raiders. The only teams looking to trade for Clowney will be teams who feel he is the missing piece to a championship..

Clowney could be traded. But he's not getting traded to the Lions, Giants or Raiders. The only teams looking to trade for Clowney will be teams who feel he is the missing piece to a championship..

Ah, just like the Bears when they traded for Mack. Totally.

Reactions: JB
Supposedly the loins offered their #8 and the bills offered their #9 pick for him. Neither are legit contenders.

Aaron Reiss

✔@aaronjreiss

https://twitter.com/aaronjreiss/status/1116709149486850054

The #Texans will likely have a simple question to answer in the 1st round of the NFL Draft: cornerback or offensive tackle?

How the complexion of Houston’s draft class changes depending on which way it goes: https://theathletic.com/920184/2019/04/12/two-mock-drafts-houston-texans-pick-cornerback-or-offensive-tackle/ …

https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1116709149486850054
9:26 AM - Apr 12, 2019

In a vacuum… the importance of picking the right offensive tackle outweighs the Texans’ need for another corner. But the draft does not exist in a vacuum. It is a televised spectacle that includes smokescreens sent out through the media and plenty of human error. The Texans have 22 teams selecting ahead of them in the first round, several of which — Jacksonville (7), Buffalo (9), Miami (13), Carolina (16), Minnesota (18) and Tennessee (19) — could reasonably choose offensive linemen. If enough do, the Texans might not find an available offensive tackle worth taking with its first pick. Instead, the Texans could select one of the cornerbacks The Athletic’s Dane Brugler projects to still be available well into the 20s. If that prediction proves inaccurate, though, and a team raises the value of cornerbacks in this draft by spending an early pick on one, then maybe some of the top offensive tackles slide.

The Athletic tried to map out both situations with a pair of mock drafts — one where Houston takes a cornerback in the first round, and one where it selects an offensive tackle with the 23rd pick. Neither mock draft included trades. The point of this exercise is not to link certain players to the Texans; rather, it’s to show how the quality of player Houston might get at these two positions of need could change with each option. Additionally, these mock drafts, done with the Fanspeak Simulator, provide examples of what other positions and types of players Houston could target in later rounds.

Mock Draft No. 1: The Texans select an offensive tackle in the first round

Round 1, No. 23 overall: Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State
Luckily for the Texans, Dillard is still available for them to pick in this mock draft. He’s arguably the best pass-blocker in this draft, and he played left tackle his entire collegiate career. He’d be comfortable playing there for Houston. Dillard was one of the top-performing linemen at the combine and the Senior Bowl, so he’s boosted his stock during the pre-draft process and might not actually be unclaimed by the time Houston picks for real. If Dillard is gone, some other options could be Oklahoma’s Cody Ford, Alabama’s Jonah Williams and Ole Miss’ Greg Little. Beyond that group of offensive tackles, there’s a drop-off. Of the men mentioned above, Little ranks lowest on The Athletic’s top 100 prospects list, checking in at No. 36. The next offensive tackle ranks 35 spots below him.

Round 2, No. 54 overall: Joejuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
At the combine, Gaine said the "perfect composition of the depth chart at defensive back" includes "guys who can play man, guys who can play zone, guys who are quick and fast, (and) guys who can play big guys." The Texans at least partially addressed that quick-and-fast element by signing Roby, but they’re still in need of a larger cornerback. None of their proven ones stands taller than 6 feet. Look no further than Williams, who measured at 6 feet, 3.5 inches tall. Brugler writes that Williams is "underdeveloped mechanically and mentally," so he’s unlikely to be Houston’s top corner right away, but he would provide a unique skill set for certain man-coverage situations.

Round 2, No. 55 overall: Elton Jenkins, OG/C, Mississippi State
O’Brien loves versatile linemen, and Jenkins has starting experience at every position other than right guard. Beyond North Carolina State’s Garrett Bradbury and Jonah Williams (who might play guard at the NFL level), Jenkins is one of the top interior linemen in the draft. Most of the the top group could still be available when Houston is on the clock in the second round. Even if this pick turns out not to be Jenkins, it would make a lot of sense for the Texans to target a versatile interior blocker here. The starting guard spot opposite Zach Fulton should be open for competition during training camp. And a year from now, with the proper depth on its roster, Houston could decide to shed Fulton’s deal, the most expensive offensive-lineman contract it has. Fulton, who was the team’s starting right guard last season, is playing on a contract that carries $7 million cap hits in 2020 and 2021 but holds no dead money in either season.

Round 3, No. 86 overall: Darnell Savage, S, Maryland
Earlier this offseason, Gaine said drafting Justin Reid and adding Tyrann Mathieu in free agency had turned safety into a "position of strength" for the Texans. But a year later, following Andre Hal’s surprising decision to retire and the departures of Mathieu and Kareem Jackson, Houston is in need of depth at safety. An undersized safety, Savage could fit in nickel packages, similar to Hal’s former role. Reid and free-agent acquisition Tashaun Gipson are the likely starters at the two safety spots.

Round 5, No. 161 overall: Bryce Love, RB, Stanford
O’Brien wants to target running backs in the passing game more often, so Houston needs a back who can get yards after the catch. Love (5-9, 200 pounds) has a smaller frame that might preclude him from being an every-down player, but he would be a speedy complement to Lamar Miller and D’Onta Foreman. That’s why he was one of five running backs The Athletic previously highlighted as potential fits for the Texans. All five are mid- to late-round prospects. Houston might select a running back with any of its final four picks.

Round 6, No. 195 overall: Byron Cowart, EDGE, Maryland
Christian Covington joined the Cowboys in free agency, and two of the Texans’ current reserves, Carlos Watkins and Joel Heath, did little in diminished roles last season. Houston needs to add another defensive lineman to its rotation, and it does so here. Cowart was once the country’s top-ranked recruit, but he never met expectations at Auburn and ultimately transferred to Maryland. In one season as a member of the Terrapins, he started all 12 games and finished with 38 tackles, five tackles for loss, three sacks, two interceptions and a forced fumble.

Round 7, No. 220 overall: Darius Slayton, WR, Auburn
Given the recent injury histories of Will Fuller and Keke Coutee, the Texans need more depth at receiver. Slayton, who ran a 4.39-second 40 at the combine, would provide them the vertical threat they missed after Fuller’s ACL tear last season. Currently, the Texans’ only backup receivers who have ever caught a pass in the NFL are Vyncint Smith and Deandre Carter, both undrafted free agents who were rookies last season. Wide receiver is a position Houston could prioritize in the market for undrafted free agents, too.

Mock draft No. 2: The Texans select a cornerback in the first round

Round 1, No. 23 overall: Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia
LSU’s Greedy Williams and Washington’s Byron Murphy are both off the board by this pick, so Houston selects Baker. Standing 5-foot-11, Baker doesn’t have the prototypical size Houston is seeking, and he ran a 4.52-second 40 during the pre-draft process, so he’s not one of the faster corners, either. Why would the Texans pick him? Well, with Williams off the board, the next-best bigger corner available is arguably Michigan State’s Justin Laynce, a converted wide receiver. Layne could be an option here, but he’s a high-ceiling prospect in need of more development. In Baker, the Texans get a starting-quality corner whose smarts, instincts and versatility should give him a high floor as a prospect.

Round 2, No. 54 overall: Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State
The gap between Howard and the offensive tackles likely to go in the first round is what you’d expect: At 6-5, 322 pounds, with 34-inch arms, he has the build of an NFL left tackle, but he’s raw. The adjustment to NFL-level speed and strength at the line of scrimmage — the one O’Brien said many Power Five conference offensive linemen struggle with — will be massive for Howard. He’s also still getting used to his body. He was a high school quarterback and came to college as a 240-pound tight end. He’d have a chance to compete for Houston’s starting left tackle spot as a rookie, but he could struggle mightily.

Round 2, No. 55 overall: Dalton Risner, OG, Kansas State
Like the player the Texans took at this spot in the previous mock draft, Risner played all over the line in college, most recently as a right tackle. Brugler projects he’ll be best as an interior lineman at the NFL level. But having some experience on the edge could allow him to also back up Houston’s projected starter at right tackle, Seantrel Henderson, who has struggled to stay healthy during the past three years. Boston College’s Chris Lindstrom is another interior offensive lineman who should be picked during the second round.

Round 3, No. 86 overall: Trayveon Williams, RB, Texas A&M
Houston picks a running back again. This time, the Texans do so two rounds earlier than in the last draft. This is likely as high as Houston would go for a running back. Gaine still intends for Miller to be the Texans’ lead back next season, and Houston still thinks Foreman has promise.

Round 5, No. 161 overall: Armon Watts, IDL, Arkansas
Gaine wants to find an interior pass rusher who can complement Watt and Clowney on the edges, but this is a top-heavy class of interior defensive linemen, and the Texans have more pressing needs early in the draft. Houston will be gambling on the upside of any interior pass rusher it selects in the later rounds, so why not take a chance on a player like Watts? He didn’t earn a starting role until his senior season but ended up leading his team with seven sacks.

Round 6, No. 195 overall: Donald Parham, TE/WR, Stetson
O’Brien likes his two second-year tight ends, Jordan Thomas and Jordan Akins, but that doesn’t have to stop Houston from picking another tight end from what’s expected to be loaded draft class for the position. The team has little money committed to its two veteran tight ends, Ryan Griffin and Darren Fells, so the Texans have the flexibility to use a late pick on a player like Parham. He is 6-foot-8, and his big frame comes with a huge catch radius. Even if Houston likes the tight ends it has, Parham might provide depth as a receiver.

Round 7, No. 220 overall: Kharis Willis, S, Michigan State
The Texans address their need for safety depth later in this draft than they do in the other one. Beyond whichever safeties they draft or sign as undrafted free agents, defensive back Mike Tyson could also compete for snaps as a rotational safety. Tyson was mostly a special-teams player but did play on defense in five games for the Spartans last season.

It has been reported Lions asked about JD weeks ago and allegedly offered #8. Giants also asked. Raiders only have three Dr's on roster. I think your premise is wrong. Each of those teams could make huge jump forward attaining Clowney and NY and Raiders would keep highest rated first round pick.

It has been reported Lions asked about JD weeks ago and allegedly offered #8.
Reported by someone on Twitter, right? Not someone who is paid to be a reporter. Does that sound like something Matt Patricia (a Belichick guy) would sign off on?

Reported by someone on Twitter, right? Not someone who is paid to be a reporter. Does that sound like something Matt Patricia (a Belichick guy) would sign off on?
How the hell would anyone know if Patricia would want that? He hasn’t been there long enough to know what he wants or how he’s going to build his team.

It has been reported Lions asked about JD weeks ago and allegedly offered #8. Giants also asked. Raiders only have three Dr's on roster. I think your premise is wrong. Each of those teams could make huge jump forward attaining Clowney and NY and Raiders would keep highest rated first round pick.

The lions want to trade down and just gave big money to a DE. The raiders are not going to trade for Clowney when they traded Mack away cause they didn't want to pay him...

The lions want to trade down and just gave big money to a DE. The raiders are not going to trade for Clowney when they traded Mack away cause they didn't want to pay him...
So you’re a raiders insider? You do know who their GM is don’t you? Go back to the draft and see what he had to say about Clowney. Not saying they will but saying they won’t is silly. Maybe they didn’t like Mack’s attitude. Maybe they felt he was selfish or not a team player. Who knows. I think it’s pretry obvious that Gruden came in and got rid of all the alphas to instill a new fresh attitude.

Wasn't that long ago posters thought I was silly for giving Clowney approx 1200 point valuation. FYI #8 = 1400. No reason for Gaines not to say to any offer "thanks but we think we can get more as we really like JD and do not have to trade him." .

So it must not be true. Surely the Texans would have pulled the trigger on such an offer.

How the hell would anyone know if Patricia would want that? He hasn’t been there long enough to know what he wants or how he’s going to build his team.
I guess it doesn't hurt to dream, so dream on.

So you’re a raiders insider? You do know who their GM is don’t you? Go back to the draft and see what he had to say about Clowney. Not saying they will but saying they won’t is silly. Maybe they didn’t like Mack’s attitude. Maybe they felt he was selfish or not a team player. Who knows. I think it’s pretry obvious that Gruden came in and got rid of all the alphas to instill a new fresh attitude.

LOL, they won't be trading for Clowney.. Listen to what Gruden said about not wanting to pay top money to two players.. There is no defensible way to say you traded Mack only too turn around and trade for Clowney and give him the contract he wants.

LOL, they won't be trading for Clowney.. Listen to what Gruden said about not wanting to pay top money to two players.. There is no defensible way to say you traded Mack only too turn around and trade for Clowney and give him the contract he wants.
I just gave you one.

I think I've posted the same thing about a dozen times. It doesn't matter, they want to believe. I just want the guy who's worth the draft haul they suggest to show up in 2019 and dominate.

I think I've posted the same thing about a dozen times. It doesn't matter, they want to believe. I just want the guy who's worth the draft haul they suggest to show up in 2019 and dominate.
Or at least be good and show promise of even better things to come.

I just gave you one.

You said go back and listen to Grudens comments on him before the draft... :spit:

Have you ever listened to Gruden talk about players? He literally loves all of them. Every QB that comes out, every player he talked about on Monday Night football. He even mentions how much he loved the players the Raiders didn't draft last year and how he would of loved to draft them.

I see more than a couple of teams that could be interested in adding Clowney to their roster......just depends on the picks they have available and what they're willing to part with. Clowney is a plug and play DE or EDGE that will excel in the right environment. I think the Texans have primarily used him at the wrong position b/c his best season as a Texan came when he replaced Watt.

I'd be for the following scenario if the Texans and RC fully committed to transitioning to a 4-3 defense. Sign Clowney and at 23 draft a stud DT to place next to Reader. I think the Texans would be better served having Clowney and Watt bookend the DL with set positions versus having Watt run around looking for his mismatch.

For the love of all that's holy, Clowney's knee will be under more stress with his hand down & he prefers standing up. Even when they go "4-3" he frequently stands. Stop looking at his college position 6 years later. Best season being the one where he played MLB too & was schemed as primary pass rusher. There's a great "he should be full time DE" argument.

Players I don’t expect to be at 23 that would be immediate upgrades at position of need:

CB Greedy Williams
OT Jonah Williams
OT Andre Dillard

“Safe” picks likely to be at 23:

OT Dalton Risner
OT Greg Little
G/C Garret Bradbury
CB Deandre Baker
RB Josh Jacobs

Players I don’t expect to be at 23 that would be immediate upgrades at position of need:

CB Greedy Williams
OT Jonah Williams
OT Andre Dillard

“Safe” picks likely to be at 23:

OT Dalton Risner
OT Greg Little
G/C Garret Bradbury
CB Deandre Baker
RB Josh Jacobs

I like your list, but Garret Bradbury or Erik Mccoy are likely to be off the board. I bet the Titans pick them.

Texans could be in a quandary at 23.....players they may want could be gone before 23 and players they'd be willing to draft may not warrant the 23 spot but will not be there at 55. So when should they draft them? I think a trade back may be their move while gaining an additional pick or two in the process.

Texans could be in a quandary at 23.....players they may want could be gone before 23 and players they'd be willing to draft may not warrant the 23 spot but will not be there at 55. So when should they draft them? I think a trade back may be their move while gaining an additional pick or two in the process.

I think this will be the MO of most GMs this draft. Mayock has also said the sweet spot of this draft is 20-60 and he’d like to gain another pick in that range.

The question is who finds the trade partner to make it happen? Will a QB or pass rusher fall that another team needs to move up and get?!

I think this will be the MO of most GMs this draft. Mayock has also said the sweet spot of this draft is 20-60 and he’d like to gain another pick in that range

If he were Mayock the draft analyst I'd believe him. As Mayock the GM I have to suspect an ulterior motive for speaking such words.

yet he just gave huge contracts to Trent Brown and Antonio Brown. Tyrell Williams four year 11 per ain't too shabby either. You going to have to do better than that. Plus it has been stated repeatedly by others than me that Gruden caught hell for trading Mack and could be willing to correct that with Clowney.

yet he just gave huge contracts to Trent Brown and Antonio Brown. Tyrell Williams four year 11 per ain't too shabby either. You going to have to do better than that.

Not taking a side, just fwiw thought I'd throw out there the Raiders have 5 players with cap hits of $10+ mil. For comparison Texans-3, Colts-5, Jags-5, Titans-5, Broncos-4, Chargers-5 & Chiefs-4.

Not taking a side, just fwiw thought I'd throw out there the Raiders have 5 players with cap hits of $10+ mil. For comparison Texans-3, Colts-5, Jags-5, Titans-5, Broncos-4, Chargers-5 & Chiefs-4.
yeah and more importantly Raiders have $28 m cap and $64 2020 CLowney easily fits. I still think Bills and #9 more likely target. Is Oliver there better than a deal for Clowney? I say yes.

yet he just gave huge contracts to Trent Brown and Antonio Brown.
Besides the contracts (which would still be smaller than a Clowney deal). the Raiders gave up a 3rd and a 5th for Antonio and zero picks for Trent. That's a far cry from what you're thinking a Clowney trade nets for the Texans.

That's why you don't play hard to get when somebody offers you a 1/8 for a worn down injured DE. You snap it up before they find somebody else and take the offer off the table.

Besides the contracts (which would still be smaller than a Clowney deal). the Raiders gave up a 3rd and a 5th for Antonio and zero picks for Trent. That's a far cry from what you're thinking a Clowney trade nets for the Texans.

Somebody who gets it.

Plus you would have the Clowney trade booty going into this draft. This team should be so much better than they probably will be.

yet he just gave huge contracts to Trent Brown and Antonio Brown. Tyrell Williams four year 11 per ain't too shabby either. You going to have to do better than that. Plus it has been stated repeatedly by others than me that Gruden caught hell for trading Mack and could be willing to correct that with Clowney.

They zre setting themselves up for Vegas.

Using FA for offense and the draft for defense. They should be able to get 3 or 4 differencemakers on defense in this draft.

Back