Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the team made many changes to the offense leading up to this season. They started some time ago investing significantly in the OL making Tunsil the highest paid guy at his position, spending a first round pick on Howard etc... They also changed their passing philosophy by trading our QBs favorite target away in order to "open up" the passing game, with a more spread it around attack. Not to mention new running backs that were better receivers and on and on. This is a revamped offense if there ever was one. So it's not like they didn't try to get better in the offseason, it's just our HC/GM made it worse, not better.
Isn't that the problem? They revamped the offense, but it looks similar to last year's offense while still expecting the WRs to win their matchups with little to no scheming to get them open. It's almost like they are expecting the WRs to win their one one one matchups similar to the favorite target they traded.

Isn't that the problem? They revamped the offense, but it looks similar to last year's offense while still expecting the WRs to win their matchups with little to no scheming to get them open. It's almost like they are expecting the WRs to win their one one one matchups similar to the favorite target they traded.
So the more things change the more they stay the same. One of my favorite parts of OBs offseason moves was to go with older, veteran players. He told us with the limits on preseason preparation this year his team would be at an advantage with veteran players instead of young rookies. They looked like one of the least prepared teams in the league to me.

Anybody watching Las Vegas. Gruden rebuilt the team by trading players and getting draft choices. This is what Texans need to do. Wait we have given all our players away for NOTHING and given up our draft choices and cap space. McDead wake the **** up.

Yep

This is what needs to happen

If RS had only picked Mack that could've been the Texans. Mayock shows he knows what he's doing. I'm happy for him because he withstood the heat of trading a star player.

Well OB....your locker room cancer has done done well in Arizona. I stated that the Cardinals offense was going to be a great fit for DHop and today we hear, that DHops 22 receptions in his first 2 games, is the best production of a receiver after changing teams in the HISTORY of the NFL!!!!! Guys on NFL Radio played those numbers out to 176 receptions in his first season with the Cardinals and Murray. Man, I'm so happy that that cancer is giving the production to the Cardinals versus the Texans. Texans and OB feel like that type of production wasn't good for team morale.

Bro Hop was not no cancer at all. The problem occurred after the embarrassing ash whipping we got from the Chiefs. Some serious words were exchanged and the rest was history.

I mean, just watch the league and you can see how poorly coached this team is just from a standard scheme pov. They have 2 coordinators who didn't elevate any of the players they coached. Did anyone look at the dline and say it was a top 5 unit under Weaver? Tim Kelly=Godsey. Don't even get me started on Devlin. I'm going to go back to my original point, they don't excel at anything and they never have under O'Brien.

He comes in and systematically takes apart a good unit, the offensive line. Why? Because they were schemed as zone blockers. Want to know the sign of a good HC? Adjusting to a teams strength. Mike Tomlin is from the Dungy tree and he kept the Steelers defense intact. O'BRIEN wanted bigger , unathletic lineman and a bigger slower TE. So he wanted XSF, Fido, and guys like that when we see who he didn't want and how well they played. Just watching the Raiders last night, they run the ball with the zones outside and inside, hit Waller, the ex wr. Those are their staples. They playaction, boot, throw down the field and most importantly they protect the qb. They've spent money on high end guys up front. The Texans paid Nick Martin who is avg at best. After trading the pro bowl left tackle, it took a couple of years to get another above avg player at that spot. I could go on for days before I get to the calamity of the Clowney and Hopkins trade. They new one is the gem their wasting in Jordan Akins by trotting out Fells. Fells should be used inside the redzone, but Akins is the threat . Of course, the game plan offense of O'Brien is counter punching all the time, that's why the team is outscored early and often.

Yep

This is what needs to happen

If RS had only picked Mack that could've been the Texans. Mayock shows he knows what he's doing. I'm happy for him because he withstood the heat of trading a star player.
Too late for us. We have nothing to trade. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think we got anything for Clowney, got fleeced for Hopkins and GAVE UP draft choices for Tunsil.

Too late for us. We have nothing to trade. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think we got anything for Clowney, got fleeced for Hopkins and GAVE UP draft choices for Tunsil.
At this point, Chin Hole has nothing to lose. He will probably trade our 2023 1st and 2nd draft picks for a player that will command a huge payday a season later or will threaten to leave in FA. Moral of the story: never underestimate Butt Chin’s ability to screw everything up.

I mean, just watch the league and you can see how poorly coached this team is just from a standard scheme pov. They have 2 coordinators who didn't elevate any of the players they coached. Did anyone look at the dline and say it was a top 5 unit under Weaver? Tim Kelly=Godsey. Don't even get me started on Devlin. I'm going to go back to my original point, they don't excel at anything and they never have under O'Brien.

He comes in and systematically takes apart a good unit, the offensive line. Why? Because they were schemed as zone blockers. Want to know the sign of a good HC? Adjusting to a teams strength. Mike Tomlin is from the Dungy tree and he kept the Steelers defense intact. O'BRIEN wanted bigger , unathletic lineman and a bigger slower TE. So he wanted XSF, Fido, and guys like that when we see who he didn't want and how well they played. Just watching the Raiders last night, they run the ball with the zones outside and inside, hit Waller, the ex wr. Those are their staples. They playaction, boot, throw down the field and most importantly they protect the qb. They've spent money on high end guys up front. The Texans paid Nick Martin who is avg at best. After trading the pro bowl left tackle, it took a couple of years to get another above avg player at that spot. I could go on for days before I get to the calamity of the Clowney and Hopkins trade. They new one is the gem their wasting in Jordan Akins by trotting out Fells. Fells should be used inside the redzone, but Akins is the threat . Of course, the game plan offense of O'Brien is counter punching all the time, that's why the team is outscored early and often.
Excellent post. I couldn't agree more.

I can't wait for this story to actually break .... I just can't be the one to do it.

I will say this - It wasn't OB who "didn't like the way he lives his life" ... when it comes out who that person was , the world will laugh at this franchise again.

I'd love to have the scoop from an anonymous source.

Of course, I'd blast it from the highest mountain. Organize a GoFundMe to buy a billboard across from NRG displaying it. :horn:

In truth, the McNairs are just as greedy and meddling as Bud Adams. They just have a better marketing department.

I'd love to have the scoop from an anonymous source.

Of course, I'd blast it from the highest mountain. Organize a GoFundMe to buy a billboard across from NRG displaying it. :horn:

In truth, the McNairs are just as greedy and meddling as Bud Adams. They just have a better marketing department.

I've been saying this since 2010.

Not much has changed since Bob McNair died.

The receivers are broken down?

I thought I saw them all out there at different times.
They were, but was Fuller even targeted? EDIT - ZERO targets.
Seattle never scored a touchdown on an opening drive this season and hasn’t since the third game of the 2016 season, a stretch of 29 straight regular season games (the Seahawks did score on their opening drive of the divisional playoff loss last year at Atlanta)."
Man, I wish I would have saved the Tweet I saw the other day. It was about the Texans offense and opening drives dating back to 2018. It was just as bad or worse than what is described about the Seahawks.
They revamped the offense, but it looks similar to last year's offense while still expecting the WRs to win their matchups with little to no scheming to get them open
Said this hundreds of times. This offense is dull and unimaginative. I've seen better offensive schemes on Friday Nights! Even my wife while watching other games with me, "Damn, how come our receivers are never wide open like that?"

I agree about the coaching and the bad FA contracts signed. There was a reason Hopkins was traded and I believe that trade was mandated from above but that BOB was on board with it. This will all come out someday.

Tweet from @GregRajan

Nine NFL coaches have been with their teams six seasons or longer. The ONLY one not to make a conference title game is...Bill O'Brien.

Six coaches hired since he joined the #Texans have made it that far, including two in his division.

"Back to Back AFC South Championships, Brian!" (that was not part of the tweet, that was me)

Tweet from @GregRajan

Nine NFL coaches have been with their teams six seasons or longer. The ONLY one not to make a conference title game is...Bill O'Brien.

Six coaches hired since he joined the #Texans have made it that far, including two in his division.

"Back to Back AFC South Championships, Brian!" (that was not part of the tweet, that was me)

Cal's apparent discomfort in interviewing knowledgeable football men to replace O'Brien seems to be the only viable explanation for keeping him as HC / GM.

All three division opponents have all made it to the AFC Championship game while O'Brien has been the HC. The best he can do is squeak out two playoff wins against a backup QB and the other on the 4th quarter heroics of his QB going off-script. Otherwise, we've got 30-0, 24-16, 21-7, and 51-31.

Most coaches don't survive Bill O'Brien-level playoff collapses (<---article)

O'Brien not only survived "the fourth-biggest unraveling in NFL postseason history", HE WAS REWARDED.

We've got a silver-spooned introvert hiding behind his mama's apron for an owner now. Let that sink in.

Any results more successful than 2-14 will keep Billy around. It's perpetual Groundhog Day with the groundhog owner scared of his own shadow.

Cal's apparent discomfort in interviewing knowledgeable football men to replace O'Brien seems to be the only viable explanation for keeping him as HC / GM.

All three division opponents have all made it to the AFC Championship game while O'Brien has been the HC. The best he can do is squeak out two playoff wins against a backup QB and the other on the 4th quarter heroics of his QB going off-script. Otherwise, we've got 30-0, 24-16, 21-7, and 51-31.

Most coaches don't survive Bill O'Brien-level playoff collapses (<---article)

O'Brien not only survived "the fourth-biggest unraveling in NFL postseason history", HE WAS REWARDED.

We've got a silver-spooned introvert hiding behind his mama's apron for an owner now. Let that sink in.

Any results more successful than 2-14 will keep Billy around. It's perpetual Groundhog Day with the groundhog owner scared of his own shadow.

Said it before and I'll say it again, McNair's should hire Bill Polian as an ownership mentor. Step aside and let Polian wield the axe. Stay behind the doors in your offices and let Polian tell OB to pack his shite and exit stage left.

Said it before and I'll say it again, McNair's should hire Bill Polian as an ownership mentor. Step aside and let Polian wield the axe. Stay behind the doors in your offices and let Polian tell OB to pack his shite and exit stage left.

Polian's time has passed.

Give me Eliott Wolf and Highsmith. I would also hire Sean Jones as VP of player personnel.

Polian's time has passed.

Give me Eliott Wolf and Highsmith. I would also hire Sean Jones as VP of player personnel.

Polian would be there to educate Cal. I’ve wanted Wolf as GM for the past 24 months. Highsmith would be Asst GM and Head of Player Personnel. I do like Jones as well and having him work with Highsmith would be a plus.

Last edited:
At least OB is still the luckiest coach in the league. The first two teams affected by covid and one of them he's playing this week and the other is leading his division.

I'd interview these three men the instant their current teams are eliminated from playoff contention..

Eric Bienemy
Brian Daboll
Greg Roman

I would also add Titans' OC, Arthur Smith. He was hired by Mike Munchak and watching how Munchak developed his OL, he should be able to recognize a bad OL coach. I also like that he is basically running Matt LaFleur's WCO offense which he implemented before being hired as the Packers' HC.

I would also add Titans' OC, Arthur Smith. He was hired by Mike Munchak and watching how Munchak developed his OL, he should be able to recognize a bad OL coach. I also like that he is basically running Matt LaFleur's WCO offense which he implemented before being hired as the Packers' HC.

No argument there.

Bottom line - there are quality candidates out there that want HC opportunities, so there's no good reason to have to continue on trusting the O'Brien process.

Vikings
Jaguars
@ Titans
Packers

Seriously.....does a 1-6 start to the season finally get OB hs walking papers? Or, does an 0-5 start push the McNair's to pull the plug after losing to the Jags in Houston.

@ Jags
@ Browns

With the bye week coming after the Packers game, does OB make it to games 8 & 9 since they're on the road?

Vikings
Jaguars
@ Titans
Packers

Seriously.....does a 1-6 start to the season finally get OB hs walking papers? Or, does an 0-5 start push the McNair's to pull the plug after losing to the Jags in Houston.

@ Jags
@ Browns

With the bye week coming after the Packers game, does OB make it to games 8 & 9 since they're on the road?

It’s going to be interesting to see how all of this plays out. They most definitely can not lose to anymore AFC teams. They really need to go either 4-2 or 5-1 during that stretch.

Last edited:
It’s going to be interesting to see how all of this plays out. They most definitely can not lose to anymore AFC teams. They really need to go either 4-2 or 5-1 during that stretch.

One part of me wants them to run the table ....

The other part of me wants OB gone so bad I'd prefer they go 0-16 and hope like hell that did the trick.

The scary thing is if they get the wrong guy in here (someone who runs a similar system) its not going to fix what's broke. The only way to fix this mess is a really good WCO guy.

One part of me wants them to run the table ....

The other part of me wants OB gone so bad I'd prefer they go 0-16 and hope like hell that did the trick.

The scary thing is if they get the wrong guy in here (someone who runs a similar system) its not going to fix what's broke. The only way to fix this mess is a really good WCO guy.
Let me get this straight, the WCO will fix what's wrong with DW4?

Let me get this straight, the WCO will fix what's wrong with DW4?
The WCO will allow you to not depend on too many good offensive linemen as long as you can teach them right.
You don't need a super back, just a guy with good vision and a jump cut. He doesn't need to be super powerful nor super fast.
You need one speed guy and one big receiver.
TEs main job is blocking; the rest is scheme.

Always a possibility, but you can’t stick with what you’ve got. This guy is destroying the organization. I mean, the mediocre, at times, at best coaching is one thing. He’s a much, much worse GM who has no clue about value or talent evaluation.

No you can't stick with what you got but that wasn't the point of the post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back