Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What on God’s green earth gives you the idea that OB isn’t letting Watson be Watson?

God, this place is silly sometimes.
How about the lack of QB runs and rpo? Watson is at his best when he can attack the defense. You think Watson is the one saying let’s run 10 of 13 times up the gut. Lol stop this Bs narrative right now. OB has no feel for calling a game. We won yet again in spite of him. Not sure how you don’t see it.

Thunder his play calling is very inconsistent. Some plays were head scratchers bro. Not letting Watson be Watson is another issue. The extremely slow lethargic start every week is another big time issue.

Now to his credit, when he do call a great game plan. His offense looks darn good.
I just cannot fathom the lethargy displayed by this team in the first half - they are chronic slow starters.
Just seems to me they are not properly prepared. OB and the coaching staff can't seem to motivate them enough for fast starts or OB is just playing the "wait and see" game.
He needs to force the pace and make the opponents scramble to make adjustments.

I just cannot fathom the lethargy displayed by this team in the first half - they are chronic slow starters.
Just seems to me they are not properly prepared. OB and the coaching staff can't seem to motivate them enough for fast starts or OB is just playing the "wait and see" game.

In the KC game, I would like to see the first two drives be "no huddle". Get the defense thinking.

I just rewatched the first series. Play calling looks good. The Bills pass rush is amped. They zone blitzed just about every time, showing as many as six rushers then dropping into coverage.

Very confusing which 4 were coming & Jerry Hughes was beating Tunsil around the edge.

It wasn't the play calling that stopped that drive.

BO'b may not be calling as many designed runs for Watson, but he's not stopping him from being Watson. Watson is hesitant. I saw him pull the ball down three times before deciding to run on at least three snaps.

That's because Watson is doing what he's asked prior to that heat getting to him.
OB is asking him to be Brady for 3 seconds …. then be Watson when crap hits the fan.
He has to let Watson be Watson from the snap - not after 3 seconds when its too late and hope he can escape the heat.

Watson didn't have his best game , he missed a quite a few reads / open guys and you expect that when the opposing defense is playing their scheme as well as Buffalo did but his coach didn't help him - Until the 2nd half of the 2nd half.

My opinion, and it is only an opinion, is this. OB and company game plan our opponent and devise a strategy to beat them. We open up the first half with this game plan and it doesn't do what it is intended to do. Late in games, when we are losing, our stars go off script because they don't want to lose (I mean hey, who wants to lose right?). Each game, rinse and repeat with differing results. Sometimes the game plan works flawlessly, most times it doesn't. However we have the players who recognize this, and consistently go above and beyond to right a sinking ship each weekend. I think this best describes the lethargy we witness.

Again...just an opinion.

This is the Bill O’Brien experience. It’s so slippery. One thing that is a constant, BoB’s players like playing for him. I’ve yet to see a crack in the foundation. I’ve always seen this “ my friend who’s inside the Texans organization tells me that the players are sick of OB’s message” as total BS.

After yesterday I think Watt has a lot to do with that locker room not cracking apart on OB.

What on God’s green earth gives you the idea that OB isn’t letting Watson be Watson?

God, this place is silly sometimes.

By asking him to stand in the pocket until someone is open or the pocket breaks down before he gets gone.
Watson being Watson is moving him around early - letting him put pressure on a defense with the threat to run BEFORE the pocket breaks down.

What OB did early on was let Buffalo drop back in a zone while the front FOUR kept Watson between the widest rushers and collapsed on him.

The first 15 plays are supposedly scripted so they should be no huddle through all of them so I am at a loss.

Yes, I have also heard that and several teams do it. What if you went three and out in all 15 plays. That is five possessions and you could be waayyy behind...........Did I just stumble onto something?

Reactions: ROO
Yes, I have also heard that and several teams do it. What if you went three and out in all 15 plays. That is five possessions and you could be waayyy behind...........Did I just stumble onto something?

Those scripted plays tend to be a WCO thing … Not so much an EP or Coryell thing.

OB is asking him to be Brady for 3 seconds …. then be Watson when crap hits the fan.
He has to let Watson be Watson from the snap - not after 3 seconds when its too late and hope he can escape the heat.

Maybe BO'b & his OC should have done a better job scouting the Bills. Our protection was completely unprepared for the Bills' pass rush. They show blitz but rush four & we were completely fooled again & again which four were coming.

But the "let Watson be Watson" I really think that's on Watson. I believe the difference between the first half & the 2nd half was him not trying to be Tom Brady.

The play calling was the same. His execution was the difference.

Didn’t say there was a great coach today. Just that McDermott did much better compared to OB.

Until the 2nd half when he called for Allen to toss the ball backwards for no good reason, throw should be interceptions to the double covered 240lb FB thirty yards downfield & take huge sacks to work their way out of winning field goal range.

Didn’t say there was a great coach today. Just that McDermott did much better compared to OB.
I would say he did not do much better. McDermott and staff did have a GOOD game plan to begin the game. But his 2nd half game management was atrocious. Abandoning the run when the Texans began to make their move in the 4th quarter. Falling in love with the blitz after dominating with solid zone defense. And that 4th & 27 call rather than punt and pin the Texans should have ended the game for the Bills. But, O'Brien bailed him out. Up 16 and dominating on defense with 2 minutes left in the 3rd to losing in overtime can't happen without a breakdown in coaching.

Did OB call for Watson to drag defenders into the EZ?
Did he call for Watson to escape engulfing rushers to make plays?

Nah, BOB called the same plays the whole game (as you said).

But it requires some heroic effort to make them work in the second half.

Put your players in a better position to succeed.
They won't be excecute all the time because the opponent's defense gets paid, too.

Watson didn't read the defense correctly (Missed the blitz again) and luckily escaped the blitzer and found Jones wide open. The correct play was called.

Does anyone know the percentage of Defensive Plays Watt was on yesterday?
From Rotowire.com

Watt had one tackle, one sack and two quarterback hits in Saturday's 22-19 overtime win over the Bills in an AFC Wild Card playoff game.

ANALYSIS
Watt played his first game since suffering a pectoral injury in October that required surgery. He played 52 of 85 (61 percent) defensive snaps, primarily on passing downs. He provided more than just an inspirational lift for the Texans, who move on to the Divisional Round next Sunday against the Chiefs in Kansas City.

Lol, y'all read me completely wrong.. I am being positive. I now know that we have a Superbowl caliber QB. I just don't believe in the head coach, that's all.

No we dont

DW4 was very lucky yesterday on the pass to Jones and confused most of the game. Allen out played DW4 and the Texans still won just like I predicted.

Today you got to see just that.

McDermott out coached OB today. The better players won the athletic battles.

Teams that win the athletic battles usually win the game unless the QB's turning the ball over.

I came to this thread to see how y'all were going to frame the BOB sucks argument after the Texans won a great playoff game yesterday.

Thanks for not letting me down, with the BOB cant win a playoff game and since he did he had nothing to do with the victory crowd.

I guess BOB can win a playoff game after all, despite subpar QB play for most of the game.

Watson didn't read the defense correctly (Missed the blitz again) and luckily escaped the blitzer and found Jones wide open. The correct play was called.
I'm getting tired of this BS. Tired, tired, tired.

Earlier in the drive, O'Brien calls a Hyde run on 1st down that gets nothing. The Bills blitz on 2nd down and get the sack. Watson gets the team out of that horrible decision and puts the Texans in Bills territory.

Then, O'Brien calls for another worthless 1st down run. The Bills blitz again on 2nd down. The Bills show man coverage, but the play took to long to get in to change the play. Watson should have called a TO. Both Stills and Hopkins are running 9's. Watson is looking for Hopkins to read blitz and break off the route. Never happened. Carter does, but Watson never looks, and it's good that he doesn't as the Corner is about to jump that throw.

O'Brien should have known the blitz was coming and had a receiver running a hot route. The WRs are the ones that didn't read the blitz. And finally, it's the Bills that pay for it all. Yes, they got to the QB. But when you're playing a QB that can evade the rush like Watson, he will eventually make you pay. It was a superstar play by Watson. Your knee jerk apologizing for O'Brien is getting really old.

Earlier in the drive, O'Brien calls a Hyde run on 1st down that gets nothing. The Bills blitz on 2nd down and get the sack. Watson gets the team out of that horrible decision and puts the Texans in Bills territory.

Then, O'Brien calls for another worthless 1st down run. The Bills blitz again on 2nd down. The Bills show man coverage, but the play took to long to get in to change the play. Watson should have called a TO. Both Stills and Hopkins are running 9's. Watson is looking for Hopkins to read blitz and break off the route. Never happened. Carter does, but Watson never looks, and it's good that he doesn't as the Corner is about to jump that throw.

O'Brien should have known the blitz was coming and had a receiver running a hot route. The WRs are the ones that didn't read the blitz. And finally, it's the Bills that pay for it all. Yes, they got to the QB. But when you're playing a QB that can evade the rush like Watson, he will eventually make you pay. It was a superstar play by Watson. Your knee jerk apologizing for O'Brien is getting really old.

I didn't say BOB had a good game. (Why is it the DW4 crowd always makes posts like yours) DW4 missed the blitz and got lucky it was very easy to see. But if you want to blame BOB for that be my guest.

No we dont

DW4 was very lucky yesterday on the pass to Jones and confused most of the game. Allen out played DW4 and the Texans still won just like I predicted.

You also said the QB that plays better will win the game... so I have no idea what to believe from you.

IRT to Josh Allen... I see the skill, I see the talent, I see why the Bills should be hopeful. But he's simply still young and not as polished as DW4. And you may want to check your eyes, because there's no way you can say Allen outplayed Watson. He should have thrown a pick-6 early in the game. He should have thrown a game ending pick at the end of the 4th. In two series, he moved the team backwards and OUT of field goal range from mental mistakes on his end. Not to mention, he fumbled the ball by simply dropping it.

I know stats don't give the whole story, but the QB rating was 121.2 vs 69.5. Completion percentage was 80% vs 52%. He almost threw for the same yardage, even though Allen threw the ball 21 more times. Those are HUGE differences!

DW4 missed the blitz and got lucky it was very easy to see. But if you want to blame BOB for that be my guest.
Watson was looking right at Hopkins to breakoff the route. It never happened. Watson absolutely nowhere to go with the ball. Unless he threw at the back of Nuk's helmet.

Why run 9's in that situation? Maybe one, but both Stills and Hopkins? Stupid. And get the freakin' play in before the clock gets to under 10 seconds, please.

Agree 100%. Instead of running a 9 route, if Stills runs a slant, it's wide open and an easy pitch and catch. There is no way that Jones is suppose to be the hot read on that play. It was just a great play by Watson and Jones.

Maybe BO'b & his OC should have done a better job scouting the Bills. Our protection was completely unprepared for the Bills' pass rush. They show blitz but rush four & we were completely fooled again & again which four were coming.

But the "let Watson be Watson" I really think that's on Watson. I believe the difference between the first half & the 2nd half was him not trying to be Tom Brady.

The play calling was the same. His execution was the difference.

This is what it’s always been but the less enlightened members seem to think there’s some difference in the plays being called & it’s not. There are plenty of plays being called where DW4 can choose and probably should run it but he often doesn’t b/c he’s looking downfield for the big play. Good trait for a qb to have, but it often gets in the way of keeping drives going. He needs to learn to just keep the chains moving as opposed to looking for the big play.

Yesterday when he was decisive in taking off to run is when everything opened up. That has next to nothing to do with play calling. That is ALL DW4 & if people actually paid attention to his play in college, his games often went like that. Go watch that last national championship game against Bama.

Last edited by a moderator:

This post is weapons grade stupidity on so many levels. BoB should’ve known the blitz was coming? Aside from hot routes largely being decided upon by the WR/QB combo AFTER they see how the defense is aligned, 1 of the more headlining stats of the game was how LITTLE the bills blitz on the whole. But somehow the guy on the sideline was supposed to assume and know that a blitz was coming...even without knowing the personnel package and alignment the defense was coming with that might hint at a blitz.

Like, do u guys even think about things before ya’ll post?

Watson was looking right at Hopkins to breakoff the route. It never happened. Watson absolutely nowhere to go with the ball. Unless he threw at the back of Nuk's helmet.

Why run 9's in that situation? Maybe one, but both Stills and Hopkins? Stupid. And get the freakin' play in before the clock gets to under 10 seconds, please.

There was a check down on that play to beat the blitz. (Jones and eventually DW4 got to him. But it wasn't because he new the blitz was coming. Which he should've been able to read.

This is what it’s always been but the less enlightened members seem to think there’s some difference in the plays being called & it’s not. There are plenty of plays being called where DW4 can choose and probably should run it but he often doesn’t b/c he’s looking downfield for the big play. Good trait for a qb to have, but it often gets in the way of keeping drives going. He needs to learn to just keep the chains moving as opposed to looking for the big play.

I don't totally agree. I don't want a QB who's first instinct is to tuck it and run. If he reads something in the defense that suggests someone will come open downfield, and if there's only a 4 man rush... I want him to put trust in his protection and to wait for the play to develop.

Yesterday when he was decisive in taking off to run is when everything opened up. That has next to nothing to do with play calling. That is ALL DW4 & if people actually paid attention to his play in college, his games often went like that. Go watch that last national championship game against Bama.

Totally agree. I want him to be more decisive when he takes off, and I want to see him take off more often. The reason that 1st TD run by DW worked was because no one on the defense was expecting him to keep it. If he keeps it more often, just maybe those 1st down run plays to Hyde will be more successful.

I don't totally agree. I don't want a QB who's first instinct is to tuck it and run. If he reads something in the defense that suggests someone will come open downfield, and if there's only a 4 man rush... I want him to put trust in his protection and to wait for the play to develop.

Totally agree. I want him to be more decisive when he takes off, and I want to see him take off more often. The reason that 1st TD run by DW worked was because no one on the defense was expecting him to keep it. If he keeps it more often, just maybe those 1st down run plays to Hyde will be more successful.

Not saying I want that to be his 1st instinct. What I want to see is that clock go off in his head to just take off and run after the initial scan of the field. I feel that’s what he did yesterday on the 1st TD drive. After he gashed them on that drive everything opened up down field in the passing game.

Who doesn't? But the Bills were to fast for him, at least to start the game. Like Mr Tex said, once he started to be decisive & be Watson, it opened everything up.

This is playoffs. Got to put your best game out there because you won't get a 2nd chance.

He can improve on his pocket passing in the regular season.

There was a check down on that play to beat the blitz. (Jones and eventually DW4 got to him. But it wasn't because he new the blitz was coming. Which he should've been able to read.

Jones fell down at the top of the route and was not initially open...& yes he did know the blitz was coming..he outlines that in his post game presser...he spoke to the “0 blitz” coming. Unsurprisingly, the o-line blocked it wrong and someone on the right side also missed their block.

...1 of the more headlining stats of the game was how LITTLE the bills blitz on the whole. But somehow the guy on the sideline was supposed to assume and know that a blitz was coming...
4 of the 7 sacks of Watson were off the blitz. 3 off the zone blitz, and one off a blitz from the slot CB, Neal. Five plays later, Neal came on the same blitz from the opposite side. Watson spun out of the tackle.

Neal is not really a cover CB. He's a STer brought in to blitz. The Texans should have known that.

This post is weapons grade stupidity on so many levels. BoB should’ve known the blitz was coming? Aside from hot routes largely being decided upon by the WR/QB combo AFTER they see how the defense is aligned, 1 of the more headlining stats of the game was how LITTLE the bills blitz on the whole. But somehow the guy on the sideline was supposed to assume and know that a blitz was coming...even without knowing the personnel package and alignment the defense was coming with that might hint at a blitz.

Like, do u guys even think about things before ya’ll post?
This is my problem with the way OB designed his offense. You also see the problems the Pats are having in recent years with it. You are relying on too many players making too many individual decisions before they even hit the top of their route and if one of them gets it wrong the entire play is screwed up. It’s one thing to have one player be the hot read but it’s another to have each player making 4-5 decisions pre snap and post snap in a matter of 2 seconds. It’s just not sustainable IMO.

Not saying I want that to be his 1st instinct. What I want to see is that clock go off in his head to just take off and run after the initial scan of the field. I feel that’s what he did yesterday on the 1st TD drive. After he gashed them on that drive everything opened up down field in the passing game.
Neither of us will know for sure but the way he runs less each season to me means the coaches are coaching it out of him. Watson is making the decision to not run based on OB and his coaches telling him not to. Just my opinion

This is my problem with the way OB designed his offense. You also see the problems the Pats are having in recent years with it. You are relying on too many players making too many individual decisions before they even hit the top of their route and if one of them gets it wrong the entire play is screwed up. It’s one thing to have one player be the hot read but it’s another to have each player making 4-5 decisions pre snap and post snap in a matter of 2 seconds. It’s just not sustainable IMO.

Yet the Pats have won 6 Lombardi's with an offense you dont like.

I will take that anyday.

4 of the 7 sacks of Watson were off the blitz. 3 off the zone blitz, and one off a blitz from the slot CB, Neal. Five plays later, Neal came on the same blitz from the opposite side. Watson spun out of the tackle.

Neal is not really a cover CB. He's a STer brought in to blitz. The Texans should have known that.

Still not reading the blitz near well enough to win a championship. He got away with it yesterday.

Yet the Pats have won 6 Lombardi's with an offense you dont like.

I will take that anyday.
The Texans aren't running anything similar to Tom Brady's offense. Let Watson bring the offense to the line in a no huddle, and give him time to read the defense pre-snap. That would be a start.

Reactions: ROO
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back