Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not linked to you; just your reply. Relax. No one is targeting you, I hadn’t seen the offended stuff previously.

I too am Catholic. One of the biggest group of hypocrites around. One can buy those candles with all kinds of pics on them. The argument is ridiculous at best.

As for the link, doesn’t take much to figure out who has the avatar and how to look for it.
IlliJen had the same avatar with Watt for a long time here. I didn't see anyone find that offensive.

The thing that’s starting to upset me, as 610 has been pointing out for two days Bill O’Brien has been throwing the defense under the bus while talking about how the offense was able to move the ball in the second half. “I guess we had to score 40 points but we didn’t” and then he goes on to explain how the Texans offense is top 10 this season. Does this sound anything like a HC taking responsibility?

His press conferences since the Broncos whipped his team like they owed them money is a prime example of why O’Brien gets roasted on these boards. Seriously, go find those pressers and listen to them.

I jumped off the O’Brien bandwagon last year after he said “not my job”. He isn’t giving me any good reason to jump back on. And I want to because he was my first choice but right now, I’m not feeling it anymore.

That must have been OB the OC taking up for the offense. Couldn’t have been OB the HC because he is responsible for the defense too. Same with OB the GM.

I have started to figure him out.

The thing that’s starting to upset me, as 610 has been pointing out for two days Bill O’Brien has been throwing the defense under the bus while talking about how the offense was able to move the ball in the second half. “I guess we had to score 40 points but we didn’t” and then he goes on to explain how the Texans offense is top 10 this season. Does this sound anything like a HC taking responsibility?

His press conferences since the Broncos whipped his team like they owed them money is a prime example of why O’Brien gets roasted on these boards. Seriously, go find those pressers and listen to them.

I jumped off the O’Brien bandwagon last year after he said “not my job”. He isn’t giving me any good reason to jump back on. And I want to because he was my first choice but right now, I’m not feeling it anymore.
Disclaimer: The following is 100% my opinion.

As much as I don't like O'Brien as a head coach I have to admit he is a master at politics. I think he is already laying the groundwork to claim whatever failure the Texans have this year was all the defense's fault. That way RAC can leave (fired or more likely retire) & O'Brien can probably squeeze out at least one more year.

basically give away points there.
Giving away a free 7 points right before the half matters
It wasn't 7 it was 14. They got the ball to start the half and scored. 14 points right away. OB had a serious case of HUA syndrome or it was a panic call. When I realized he was going for it that is the first thing I thought, panic move. Then the play call sucked, just sucked!

IT wasn't 7 it was 14. They got the ball to start the half and scored. 14 points right away. OB had a serious case of HUA syndrome or it was a panic call. The play call sucked, just sucked!
Well, eventually, yeah.

I’ve seen him punt numerous times instead of attempting a long FG for the sole purpose of pinning a team back and not giving them a short field to score quick points. Now he just decides to give it to them? Especially knowing they get the ball 1st in the 2nd half?

Just another page added to the WTF Bill book.

It wasn't 7 it was 14. They got the ball to start the half and scored. 14 points right away. OB had a serious case of HUA syndrome or it was a panic call. When I realized he was going for it that is the first thing I thought, panic move. Then the play call sucked, just sucked!

While i agree it was definitely a panic move, based on how the defense was playing up to that point........& continued to play after, it wouldn't have mattered. We would've lost the game 31 to 17 instead of 38 - 17. :shrug:

BOB was winning 9 games with Hoyer/Os/Fitzy and maybe 10 with Watson.

If Watson is that great, then how did BOB win as many games with those QB's as he has with DW4.
You conveniently left out that the jags and the tacks were dumsters in 2014 and 2015.
The jags extended it another year, and it was the colts' turn to have an injured Luck.
You also left out the 4-12.

You conveniently left out that the jags and the tacks were dumsters in 2014 and 2015.
The jags extended it another year, and it was the colts' turn to have an injured Luck.
You also left out the 4-12.

The Jags are dumpsters today

BOB was winning 9 games with Hoyer/Os/Fitzy and maybe 10 with Watson.

If Watson is that great, then how did BOB win as many games with those QB's as he has with DW4.

Simple. We had a good defense earlier in BOB's tenure.

Defensive DVOA Rank
2014 - 6th
2015 - 8
2016 - 9
2017 - 23
2018 - 7
2019 - 27

Offensive DVOA Rank
2014 - 21
2015 - 24
2016 - 30
2017 - 24
2018 - 21
2019 - 12

As you can see, since Watson has gotten here, the offense has progressed better while the defense has gone to crap.

Defensive DVOA Rank
2014 - 6th
2015 - 8
2016 - 9
2017 - 23
2018 - 7
2019 - 27

Offensive DVOA Rank
2014 - 21
2015 - 24
2016 - 30
2017 - 24
2018 - 21
2019 - 12

As you can see, since Watson has gotten here, the offense has progressed better while the defense has gone to crap.
We also had Foster when Fitz was here.

Defensive DVOA Rank
2014 - 6th
2015 - 8
2016 - 9
2017 - 23
2018 - 7
2019 - 27

Offensive DVOA Rank
2014 - 21
2015 - 24
2016 - 30
2017 - 24
2018 - 21
2019 - 12

The defense performance may be reflective of the injuries injuries/absence of Watt and Clowney.

To have gone all in, and find themselves in a position of maybe not even making the playoffs at this point in time is definitely not a good place.

Each team in the division had suffered players’ loss.
AV had a weird year for the Colts with blocked kicks and easy misses leaves the door open for the Texans and Titans to battle it out.

As the reigning division winner, it’s been dissapointing for the fans.
The Texans should have been the run-away leader at this point in time.

Defensive DVOA Rank
2014 - 6th
2015 - 8
2016 - 9
2017 - 23
2018 - 7
2019 - 27

Offensive DVOA Rank
2014 - 21
2015 - 24
2016 - 30
2017 - 24
2018 - 21
2019 - 12

Great point and thanks for finding the stats.

O'Brien is really this generation's Brian Billick. Similar to Billick, although he was basically coordinating the HC's offense with HOF players, he got the reputation as an offensive genius, becomes a HC and then proceeded to run one of the most unimaginative, boring and incompetent offenses in the NFL. The only difference is Billick had HOF defensive talents like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and a great defensive staff made up of Marvin Lewis, Rex Ryan, Jack Del Rio, and Mike Nolan. Once those coaches left, he was exposed.

I say, since it has worked so well for his offenses, let him take the same approach he took when hiring his offensive staff. Throw Crennel under the bus, fire him and hire some inexperienced guys. It will only speed up his exit.

Defensive DVOA Rank
2014 - 6th
2015 - 8
2016 - 9
2017 - 23
2018 - 7
2019 - 27

Offensive DVOA Rank
2014 - 21
2015 - 24
2016 - 30
2017 - 24
2018 - 21
2019 - 12

They've invested more in the offense, by trade/draft since RS left. Ever ask yourself why?

I think the defense should be better than it is and at the very least Devlin should be fired and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if BOB followed him out the door.

I've said from two years ago that Devlin was going to be BOB's downfall. But I was willing to let Devlin get talent in place and see what he could do. I've been underwhelmed.

To have gone all in, and find themselves in a position of maybe not even making the playoffs at this point in time is definitely not a good place.

Each team in the division had suffered players’ loss.
AV had a weird year for the Colts with blocked kicks and easy misses leaves the door open for the Texans and Titans to battle it out.

As the reigning division winner, it’s been dissapointing for the fans.
The Texans should have been the run-away leader at this point in time.

The QB play has been spotty and when that happens it is what it is.

HUGE difference between responsibility and accountability. OBrien doesn’t know the difference and has a death grip on his job. He will never again have it this good and he’s resorting to passive aggressive cheap shots after being personally responsible for hurting the defense with his brain dead moves and now he’s going to scapegoat RAC to save his job. For the record I’m fine with firing RAC, but this is a dastardly move by OBrien if it occurs. First time in 6 years he can claim a top offense and he wastes no time!! Lol. This guy is not a leader of men, he’s a decent coordinator who’s scammed his way to the top because of naive owners who don’t care about the team, but rather swimming in the profits.

Hopefully he upgrades the OC too, jacking off to the 10th ranked offense isn’t setting the bar too high is it?

Or settling for division titles. They lost 2 opportunities to get closer to the first round bye.

Yep. This is what drives a fan crazy. They truly have a mindset of settling for division titles instead of inspiring and game planning the team to actually achieve something great.

They have always lacked a killer instinct through two different head coaches. I'm starting to wonder if it's an institutional thing, tbh. . . :thinking:

I just have a feeling this is Billy's last year. He will be replaced in the off-season. But will they be able to attract a top football mind to the job?

I just have a feeling this is Billy's last year. He will be replaced in the off-season. But will they be able to attract a top football mind to the job?
In my opinion the Texans HC would be a plum job for just about anybody. You sure as hell don't have to win to keep it.

All you have to do is to come up with your version of "battling, starts with coaching, need to do a better job" for the press conferences when you are regularly humiliated on game day & you are all set.

If past history is any indication that should be enough to get you a minimum of 4 years.

In my opinion the Texans HC would be a plum job for just about anybody. You sure as hell don't have to win to keep it.

All you have to do is to come up with your version of "battling, starts with coaching, need to do a better job" for the press conferences when you are regularly humiliated on game day & you are all set.

If past history is any indication that should be enough to get you a minimum of 4 years.

Didn't they win 11 games last yr?

Or settling for division titles. They lost 2 opportunities to get closer to the first round bye.

Last yrs team wasn't that talented.

BOB did a good job last yr.

This yr he's done what everybody was clamoring for in the regular season before it started.

Beat the Pats/Chiefs.

I find it amusing that DW4 on a prayer candle is offensive but not once was anyone offended when JJ Watt was on the same candle.
I used that one for a while before being reminded that another poster used it as well. Yet no one has even been offended by it.

Hmmm...seems like a reach.

Never saw it ,

But that isn't right and I hope I never have to see it again. I dont care if the Texans win a SB I never want to see this crap again.

There would be a line of coaches ready for this job IMO. We don’t need magic just consistent competence. Only thing I can see being a downer about the job is the current lack of 1st round picks to get guys the next regime views as foundational.

sadly I don’t even think losing out and missing the playoffs gets rid of him. He has mind control over the McNairs.

IF it were to happen .. Greg Roman, Matt Rhule, Brian Daboll, Eric Bienemy, should be the first guys they call. Guys who could extract the most from Watsons abilities.

Having someone else to blame helps, too. RAC, get comfortable with the idea of retirement.

There would be a line of coaches ready for this job IMO. We don’t need magic just consistent competence. Only thing I can see being a downer about the job is the current lack of 1st round picks to get guys the next regime views as foundational.

sadly I don’t even think losing out and missing the playoffs gets rid of him. He has mind control over the McNairs.

IF it were to happen .. Greg Roman, Matt Rhule, Brian Daboll, Eric Bienemy, should be the first guys they call. Guys who could extract the most from Watsons abilities.
Losing out would end BoB’s regime here; I’m pretty sure of that. I don’t think it’s going to happen, though. The Texans are too talented. But if it does happen, that would mean the players have given up on O’Brien. Once the players quit on a HC it’s over.

Losing out would end BoB’s regime here; I’m pretty sure of that. I don’t think it’s going to happen, though. The Texans are too talented. But if it does happen, that would mean the players have given up on O’Brien. Once the players quit on a HC it’s over.

I dont know about that. OBrien has a strange control over this franchise, much more control than many other SUCCESSFUL coaches do. I think he's bulletproof unless the team goes a noticeable 4-12 or something like .. oops wait not even that did it. See what I mean?

Nothing that happens this year will result in his ousting. There is a fresh batch of excuse cookies baking. You see him already throwing RAC under the bus while at the same time exalting his offense? With Deshaun this team will never have a losing season as long as he's healthy, and with OBrien this team will never achieve its full potential while he has the McNairs under his spell!

WE need to assemble a fellowship .. to go save the McNairs from his evil mind control!!

:kitten:

From that article:
"It is just another sign that shows that O'Brien has had a heavy hand in personnel decisions even with former general manager Rick Smith was in the building. "

From that article:
"It is just another sign that shows that O'Brien has had a heavy hand in personnel decisions even with former general manager Rick Smith was in the building. "

We should have fired OB when Rick Smith left. That is all that tells me.

Don’t care about who was responsible for trading away draft picks all the time for people like Jaelen Strong and others.

Don’t care who wanted or didn’t want Watson.

Don’t care about the Tunsil trade.

All I care about is hiring a new HC and a new GM.

Greg Roman for HC.
I don’t have an opinion on GM yet.

Don’t care about who was responsible for trading away draft picks all the time for people like Jaelen Strong and others.

Greg Roman for HC.
Seems like the owners at the time wanted to try keeping the HC and firing the GM. I agree, would have been a good time to start fresh with a new gm and coach at that time.

Greg Roman for HC.

Roman would know exactly what to do with Watson.

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no faith in Cal McNair to have the guts and intelligence to make the change. He's a status quo guy. He's got the head coach that his dad hired. It's comfortable, the family business is making money hand over fist, and there's always next year.

And I'm not confident at all that he could know how to find a good GM, much less one willing to share his power in a boardroom consensus front office.

That's my narrative of Cal based on limited media exposure over the years, and my opinion will not change unless he proves otherwise.

Roman would know exactly what to do with Watson.

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no faith in Cal McNair to have the guts and intelligence to make the change. He's a status quo guy. He's got the head coach that his dad hired. It's comfortable, the family business is making money hand over fist, and there's always next year.

And I'm not confident at all that he could know how to find a good GM, much less one willing to share his power in a boardroom consensus front office.

That's my narrative of Cal based on limited media exposure over the years, and my opinion will not change unless he proves otherwise.

Been saying this for a long time.

Minus Roman that is.

Running screens other than WR screens from the shotgun = LOL.

They had a great game using this gameplan last week. What changed? I think we know what changed, it's just the JIC crowd is living in denial.

The staple plays are the run up the middle/RPO's and getting the ball to Hopkins anyway they can, with a couple of deep shots to WFV/Stills each game.
You proved my point, they dont have any. Not by formation or design. Know why? The never use their personel to the fullest. They never come out and try to score 40 . Looking at their defense, that's exactly what they should be doing. A amateur can chart their personel and formation and predict run or pass. They have yet to pass the ball out of 3 te's. Not to mention they run to that side.

He was meh with much worse QB's

Why haven't things changed with DW4 if he's what the guys Avatar says he is?

Could it be DW4 is just too inconsistent and hasn't really improved? This is why I wouldn't mind seeing another HC so some would see what Watson's ceiling truly is.
When he won those 9 games a yr, where was the defensive rank? When Watson got hurt and he wasn't there, how many games did the Texans win?

You proved my point, they dont have any. Not by formation or design. Know why? The never use their personel to the fullest. They never come out and try to score 40 . Looking at their defense, that's exactly what they should be doing. A amateur can chart their personel and formation and predict run or pass. They have yet to pass the ball out of 3 te's. Not to mention they run to that side.

I agree with you, sad point is I think BOB is trying to run plays that DW4 is most comfortable with.

They just dont seem to be on the same page. At this point I wonder if they ever will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back