Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bolded is the case for every team in the league....except probably the Pats.

Every offense has a lynchpin man & Just b/c you lose the game or the offense/defense keeps getting beat doesn't mean adjustments aren't/weren't made man. You're also not going to radically change your playbook & how you call games from half to half or game to game...that's not how adjustments work. Adjustments at half are more just tweeks to how to effectively run a plays that you always run. Offensive strategy doesn't change much for the most part either. Kubiak's scheme was heavily dependent on the establishing the run game and coming back with the play action boot. When Foster got bottled up in the 1st halves of games, Kubiak didn't come back in the 2nd half & completely abandon the run by doing 5-7 step drop backs with Schaub without the play action. He continued to try to run Foster b/c he expected the subtle adjustments that were made to o-line blocking calls and technique would eventually open things up for Foster to get loose.......& then he could go back to his play action boot game with Schaub.

Well first I never mentioned Kubiak nor do I care anything about him or his scheme. However, since you brought him up, not sure he is a good example since he didn't have any more success here than BoB has had nor do I think he would have had any greater success than BoB has had even if he had Watson. He won in Denver because Elway designed a perfect defense team, got a HoF QB that just wanted one more run even as a game manager and then told Kubiak to babysit the whole thing.

I get what you are saying about a lynch pin player but to expand on the point almost every player seems to be a lynch pin player. Hopkins goes down, we're sunk, Tunsil goes down, we're sunk, Howard goes down, we're sunk, Fuller goes down, we're sunk. Its my biggest complaint against Bob is that every game he plans it as though we have no injuries and he has the full roster. That's great when he actually does but then later in the season those flaws in the armor become big, gaping holes.

Also, yeah if its not working and hasn't really worked for 6 years then yes you do look at radically changing the playbook and how you call games or maybe even bring a new play caller in. Besides, wasn't that suppose to be the whole root of his system? Planning from week to week to take advantage of the other teams weaknesses. I agree that adjustments at half are mostly tweaks which is why I call BS on this whole "Texans are a better second half team" thing. BoB should have hired a real OC, and Oline coach and maybe even a new DC, two years ago but he keeps running it like the first time manager he is and thinking he has to micromanage everything.

@NFL_DovKleiman: @MMehtaNYDN Update: The #Chiefs and #Texans are the two teams most interested in trading for #Jets RB Le’Veon Bell, per @Connor_J_Hughes https://t.co/SMuoraCBUK

When obrien is fired at the end of the year, the next regime will have no picks for two years

Reactions: ROO
Well first I never mentioned Kubiak nor do I care anything about him or his scheme. However, since you brought him up, not sure he is a good example since he didn't have any more success here than BoB has had nor do I think he would have had any greater success than BoB has had even if he had Watson. He won in Denver because Elway designed a perfect defense team, got a HoF QB that just wanted one more run even as a game manager and then told Kubiak to babysit the whole thing.

I get what you are saying about a lynch pin player but to expand on the point almost every player seems to be a lynch pin player. Hopkins goes down, we're sunk, Tunsil goes down, we're sunk, Howard goes down, we're sunk, Fuller goes down, we're sunk. Its my biggest complaint against Bob is that every game he plans it as though we have no injuries and he has the full roster. That's great when he actually does but then later in the season those flaws in the armor become big, gaping holes.

Also, yeah if its not working and hasn't really worked for 6 years then yes you do look at radically changing the playbook and how you call games or maybe even bring a new play caller in. Besides, wasn't that suppose to be the whole root of his system? Planning from week to week to take advantage of the other teams weaknesses. I agree that adjustments at half are mostly tweaks which is why I call BS on this whole "Texans are a better second half team" thing. BoB should have hired a real OC, and Oline coach and maybe even a new DC, two years ago but he keeps running it like the first time manager he is and thinking he has to micromanage everything.

You don't abandon your entire offensive scheme b/c key starters get hurt bro.

& Not linch pin player, although you can apply the same logic to that as well. I'm talking about linch pin in your scheme. You take that away you largely handicap the whole scheme. Every offense has 1 & the primary difference in whether or not you can still function relatively ok is who is under center.....& of course the overall execution. Kubiak & his offense was only brought up as example. The linch pin to his offensive scheme was the run game. Without an effective run game, All that play action boot rollout passing that his scheme's passing game relied heavily on was dead in the water with Schaub & we looked terrible offensively...Go watch that 2010 texans giants game...perfect example of what i'm talking about. You see elements of that with BoB's offense as well. When we can't run it, teams aren't biting on all that play action we do.....even with a guy as mobile as DW4. The difference is largely that we now have a guy in DW4 that can still make big things happen when the run game isn't working whereas Kubiak had the slug Matt Schaub who couldn't do **** with it but throw it away or worse, force it down field with his noodle arm if nothing was open downfield.

You look at the games where we've looked our best over the years under BoB, chances are the run game was beastly as well.

@NFL_DovKleiman: @MMehtaNYDN Update: The #Chiefs and #Texans are the two teams most interested in trading for #Jets RB Le’Veon Bell, per @Connor_J_Hughes https://t.co/SMuoraCBUK

When obrien is fired at the end of the year, the next regime will have no picks for two years

I was in favor of Bell in the off season and still think he would be a great fit but honestly we don't need him. Hyde is working just fine and we have enough big money contracts already. I get we are in win now mode but with all the injuries piling up, the tough as hell schedule and the Pats and 49ers making all the other teams look like high schoolers we picked a bad year for the run. Though to be fair I'm not sure there ever is a great year for it so I guess the flip side is you have to just go for it sometimes.

Also still not sure where you keep getting this idea BoB will be fired anytime soon. If they bring Caserio in then he sure won't be fired.

I was in favor of Bell in the off season and still think he would be a great fit but honestly we don't need him. Hyde is working just fine and we have enough big money contracts already. I get we are in win now mode but with all the injuries piling up, the tough as hell schedule and the Pats and 49ers making all the other teams look like high schoolers we picked a bad year for the run. Though to be fair I'm not sure there ever is a great year for it so I guess the flip side is you have to just go for it sometimes.
We should have drafted Josh Jacobs. He was way cheaper and still would have been able to get Howard, or at least a guard if he wasn’t there.
It wouldn’t surprise me if OB goes after Bell.

Also still not sure where you keep getting this idea BoB will be fired anytime soon. If they bring Caserio in then he sure won't be fired.

After the loss of Watt,I don't see the Texans making the playoffs. Maybe they get the wild card. In that scenario I think OBrien could lose his job.

This is False. People are throwing **** out there. Texans have no interest in Bell....and that contract.

Even with mortgaging two drafts and having insane QB play, the offense is still only ranked #12 by dvoa.

I want a little more return on our investments especially since the defense now sucks

Bell would flourish in this system but I'm with you, Hyde is doing his thing. Might as well extend him on the cheap.

Even with mortgaging two drafts and having insane QB play, the offense is still only ranked #12 by dvoa.

I want a little more return on our investments especially since the defense now sucks
While I agree conceptually, ask yourself this. Who would you trust more to "make do" with substandard personnel...O'Brien or Crennel?

I will agree that we shouldn't take things at face value just because someone with a twitter account says it at the same time I would ask how you can be absolutely sure that it is false?

#1...Bell production SUCKS this year. #2 You already traded for 2 RBs that have been effective in your offense. #3...Texans would not trade another pick for a RB with that contract. #4..."Insiders" already said the Texans were not interested.

I'm not sure Bell's running style will mesh with the Texans' OL. If you watch Bell, he tends to hesitate at the LOS before accelerating into the hole. With this OL, the injuries and the lack of push, I can see many TFLs and putting the offense in 2nd and long.

How about our ragtag group of people pretending to be GM do their jobs and find someone better?
That assumes there IS someone better that's A) Available at this point, and B) Would work well in our scheme.

As much as I want to pile on our GM issues this season (and BoB's penchant for cross-training), it's awfully hard to predict losing multiple folks at the same position.

That assumes there IS someone better that's A) Available at this point, and B) Would work well in our scheme.

As much as I want to pile on our GM issues this season (and BoB's penchant for cross-training), it's awfully hard to predict losing multiple folks at the same position.

It was easy to predict that seantrel would be injured.

How about our ragtag group of people pretending to be GM do their jobs and find someone better?
All teams 3rd string tackles suck. We had two tackles starting that weren’t even on the team a couple of weeks ago. When injuries happen you have to rely on good coaching to get you through it. We won against an inferior team with health problems of their own. Let’s see what we do against the Jags.

for me it’s hard to get excited about a win like this. For that matter any win we’ve had this season. Every team we’ve beat is either really bad or were having health issues to key contributors at the time.

A win is a win but when it comes playoff time I have zero confidence in this coach even if we’re for the most part healthy.

as a fan I feel like I’m sleep walking through the season. It’s going to take a couple of big wins in the playoffs or a significant coaching change for me to feel like we’re for real.

All teams 3rd string tackles suck. We had two tackles starting that weren’t even on the team a couple of weeks ago. When injuries happen you have to rely on good coaching to get you through it. We won against an inferior team with health problems of their own. Let’s see what we do against the Jags.

for me it’s hard to get excited about a win like this. For that matter any win we’ve had this season. Every team we’ve beat is either really bad or were having health issues to key contributors at the time.

A win is a win but when it comes playoff time I have zero confidence in this coach even if we’re for the most part healthy.

as a fan I feel like I’m sleep walking through the season. It’s going to take a couple of big wins in the playoffs or a significant coaching change for me to feel like we’re for real.

True but it seems like every time there's an injury they are scrambling because they aren't prepared at all

I remember when I posited the thought about the benefits of a LeVeon Bell in this offense and got laughed off the board that day! Now this news releases??? Im not sure I buy it entirely, but Bell on this team would be a game changer. I would say his blocking ability would be the first thing I would welcome and that should be telling. Hyde and Johnson are the worst blocking RBs I have ever seen, like IN HISTORY. Bell would allow OBrien to truly move the pocket and get him a personal protector along the way. Having Bell also gives you ANOTHER WR THREAT!! You can line him up in the slot and still have the advantage over a nickle back. It would be a win for the Texans and would give them the most dynamic offense in the NFL. His running style is perfect for the lineman they have and his patience in allowing a hole to develop would be crucial. If he can get his yards with the NYJ offensive line, he would shine here.

Sadly, there will be no balance with this team, and thus the true championship apsirations will be a pipe dream until the defense is adequately stocked to compete.

I remember when I posited the thought about the benefits of a LeVeon Bell in this offense and got laughed off the board that day! Now this news releases??? Im not sure I buy it entirely, but Bell on this team would be a game changer. I would say his blocking ability would be the first thing I would welcome and that should be telling. Hyde and Johnson are the worst blocking RBs I have ever seen, like IN HISTORY. Bell would allow OBrien to truly move the pocket and get him a personal protector along the way. Having Bell also gives you ANOTHER WR THREAT!! You can line him up in the slot and still have the advantage over a nickle back. It would be a win for the Texans and would give them the most dynamic offense in the NFL. His running style is perfect for the lineman they have and his patience in allowing a hole to develop would be crucial. If he can get his yards with the NYJ offensive line, he would shine here.

Sadly, there will be no balance with this team, and thus the true championship apsirations will be a pipe dream until the defense is adequately stocked to compete.

Isn't the trading deadline past? What is the purpose of this post if so?

True genius to know Leveon Bell would be an upgrade to this offense. Your intellect is dizzying.

Right? Even moreso to comment after the fact as if making that very statement in itself merits the sarcastic and noxious approach! Can always count on you to boost morale around here Captain Booty Tickler!! Good job!

Isn't the trading deadline past? What is the purpose of this post if so?

Purpose? To gloat and rub your noses in the scat that most TExan fans present as facts and serviceable opinions obviously :kitten:. Only that. Feel better? Your deep and studious question answered?

Some more inspiring and upbeat posts you say??? Well here ya go!!

Remember how often some of you defended Bill OBrien's offense and how inventive and hard to plan for it is??? LMAO more precisely the conversation regarding RUN DIRECTION and how alot of fans have already caught on to the tendency of the "up the middle draw/run" that OBrien loves, but yet sooooooo many of you swore up and down that it was make believe, that OBrien spreads out his running patterns and that his offense is NOT easy to gameplan for YADA YADA YADA BLAH BLAH BLAH

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

LOOK AT TABLE 3 SPECIFICALLY!!

WOWWWW 62% OF Texan runs are considered "up the middle" LMAOOOOOO gosh I hate being right - Dont you @JB??

I respond to vibe and energy in kind JB, if you want a more productive conversation be a part of the solution and not a part of the problem.

A solution to what?

I don't get what this has to do about wanting Bell and bemoaning the fact even though there is absolutely no way to get him this year. Are you just trying to pat yourself on the back?

Some more inspiring and upbeat posts you say??? Well here ya go!!

Remember how often some of you defended Bill OBrien's offense and how inventive and hard to plan for it is??? LMAO more precisely the conversation regarding RUN DIRECTION and how alot of fans have already caught on to the tendency of the "up the middle draw/run" that OBrien loves, but yet sooooooo many of you swore up and down that it was make believe, that OBrien spreads out his running patterns and that his offense is NOT easy to gameplan for YADA YADA YADA BLAH BLAH BLAH

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

LOOK AT TABLE 3 SPECIFICALLY!!

WOWWWW 62% OF Texan runs are considered "up the middle" LMAOOOOOO gosh I hate being right - Dont you @JB??

Looks like half the teams in the NFL runs the ball up the middle 56-69%. Lol

A solution to what?

I don't get what this has to do about wanting Bell and bemoaning the fact even though there is absolutely no way to get him this year. Are you just trying to pat yourself on the back?

Sorry JB, I arrived to the topic late, was supremely busy yesterday to chime in and I still wanted to add to the debate with a personal anecdote on the topic and offer a glimpse into how this site tends to follow narratives. Good enough explanation?

How about your need to inject the rather droll input that you feel didnt warrant a response? I mean if you provoke someone are they just supposed to smile and say thanks? Geez I remember why your ass is on ignore!! It might be easier if you just click that same button next to my name! LOL

Looks like half the teams in the NFL runs the ball up the middle 56-69%. Lol

Some more than others no doubt! The parameters the site gives would lend itself to a fairly high curve, but I felt it added a layer to the eye test. I would have hoped that with Tunsil and Sharping on the left that those numbers would start to even out, but no not really. Still a run up the guy on 1st down more than 50% of the time. Gotta loosen up that defense man!!

Sorry JB, I arrived to the topic late, was supremely busy yesterday to chime in and I still wanted to add to the debate with a personal anecdote on the topic and offer a glimpse into how this site tends to follow narratives. Good enough explanation?

How about your need to inject the rather droll input that you feel didnt warrant a response? I mean if you provoke someone are they just supposed to smile and say thanks? Geez I remember why your ass is on ignore!! It might be easier if you just click that same button next to my name! LOL

Geez, I was just asking what your point was. Defensive much? That simple answer was more than satisfactory

Bell and his 3.2 yards per carry average this year. Na, bruh. Hyde and Johnson combo has been MUCH better than Bell and that AWFUL contract.

Get his YARDS? Have you seen his numbers this year? LOL. He is not get getting CRAP. 109 rushes for 349 yards, 1TD (3.2 yards per carry), 3 catches for 12 yards (7 games).

Carlos Hyde 130 rushes for 544 yards, 4.2 yard per carry, 3 TDs. Duke Johnson, 47 rushes, 274 yards, 5.8 yards per carry...17 rec, 160 yards, 2 TDs. 8 games.

More production at a fraction of the price.

Bell and his 3.2 yards per carry average this year. Na, bruh. Hyde and Johnson combo has been MUCH better than Bell and that AWFUL contract.

Get his YARDS? Have you seen his numbers this year? LOL. He is not get getting CRAP. 109 rushes for 349 yards, 1TD (3.2 yards per carry), 3 catches for 12 yards (7 games).

Carlos Hyde 130 rushes for 544 yards, 4.2 yard per carry, 3 TDs. Duke Johnson, 47 rushes, 274 yards, 5.8 yards per carry...17 rec, 160 yards, 2 TDs. 8 games.

Bell was an extremely good back when he was with the Steelers; he has yet to show he can be an extremely good back with another team. I have seen this scenario play out many times over the years. The question is always how much of the impressive performance is the athlete and how much is the system and team around him. The follow on question is: how will the athlete fit into your system?

Bell was an extremely good back when he was with the Steelers; he has yet to show he can be an extremely good back with another team. I have seen this scenario play out many times over the years. The question is always how much of the impressive performance is the athlete and how much is the system and team around him. The follow on question is: how will the athlete fit into your system?
I think the shared culprit of his underproduction is the year sitting out.

I have watched him. I have also watched the offensive line he's running behind. So with that being said its easy to look at this on the surface, but Hyde and Johnson are taking advantage of a vastly superior offensive line between the two teams. If Lamar Miller was healthy he might be leading the league in rushing. Same with Bell. I wasnt trying to use raw stats to provide the backbone for my argument, just a bunch of film and the inclusion of the present variables with Houston and adding Bell to this mix. But you are right, glossing quickly over the stats you would be left quite unimpressed.

Hyde hits a hole and goes. Great situational back, cant block for sht, shouldnt be your feature back and a reason why 6 other teams have ultimately passed.

Duke Johnson was an even more intriguing acquisition, but all O'Brien has asked the open field runner to do is play smashmouth between the tackles because thats what O'Brien likes to do. Bell is a better blocker than both of these guys combined, I may say an even better receiver than Duke and is built to withstand the rigors of the running style Mr "Im the smartest man in the room" likes to use.

Its all null and void, I get it before we get more surly posters crying. It was a merely speculative opinion; and yes; intentional ribbing on my part because i thought it was very funny to have the Houston Texans as being linked to Bell AT THIS STAGE LMAO .. they had all that money preseason and could have had the guy indoctrinated by now, and even after all the injuries to the defense and vastly superior needs Mr OBrien keeps getting linked to offensive players!! Nobody see's the irony? Just me? I guess Im just too easily amused.

Its a little interesting too isnt it, that if the team were as happy with the running situation as you are that there would be any rumors of this kind?

edit: and looking deeper into this did you know that in the last 2 games Bell only had 12 and 16 touches respectively? All this while that offense is in shambles and his QB is "seeing ghosts" .. needs to more involved and thats also a team with an idiot as the head coach.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back