Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We on this board forget we are a very small part of the overall Texans fan base and most of them seem to be fairly happy with the team not so much because they like BoB or his scheme but because most games Watson makes it fun to watch and Watt pushes faces in.

We here are a bit on end of the spectrum, however I assume many/most are like myself spending plenty of time with folks in the middle. If their experience resembles what I'm coming across, the middle is nearing a breaking point (we only have 2 posters still on a Kamikaze mission). They're still going to show up for tailgating and Sunday football, but the mumble about going nowhere is getting louder and pointing the finger at one person - and that escalates like wildfire.

We here are a bit on end of the spectrum, however I assume many/most are like myself spending plenty of time with folks in the middle. If their experience resembles what I'm coming across, the middle is nearing a breaking point (we only have 2 posters still on a Kamikaze mission). They're still going to show up for tailgating and Sunday football, but the mumble about going nowhere is getting louder and pointing the finger at one person - and that escalates like wildfire.

Very true but I’m finding it also depends on what happened the week before. After beating Chargers at their house people were overjoyed and the team was on the right track, after getting the pants beat off of us by the Pants the pitchforks and torches were ready to come out.

When people are still disgruntled even after a win that when the Texans really have a problem.

Very true but I’m finding it also depends on what happened the week before. After beating Chargers at their house people were overjoyed and the team was on the right track, after getting the pants beat off of us by the Pants the pitchforks and torches were ready to come out.

When people are still disgruntled even after a win that when the Texans really have a problem.

KDog will be unhappy until the day BOB is fired regardless of what happens on the field.

Absolutely, but the highs aren't as high and the lows are getting lower. In my own personal experience. Emotional wins are "well, we should've" by Wednesday instead of carrying into or through the next week regardless of outcome. Hardly the first time here and happens everywhere, the "average fan" is not as ignorant as they appear ... eventually. Will still show up for every game, but even Cal can hear when a stadium shifts to booing everything and more folks are watching on tv's in the parking lot (80,000 tickets sold and 40,000 butts in seats is very different).

That doesn't mean anything because he's an inheritance that wants keep keep his friends employed, and his dad didn't even know who his friends were.

Steelb will be happy as long as BOB is here regardless of what happens in the field.

You're so FOS,

I wanted BOB to be gone with RS.

I want BOB to go back and use the offense Watson was so successful in his 1st 7 games. I'm critical of BOB when warranted (To useage/Challenges) But I'm not of the thought that the reason Cancer exists is because BOB is hold back the cure.

You're so FOS,

I wanted BOB to be gone with RS.

I want BOB to go back and use the offense Watson was so successful in his 1st 7 games. I'm critical of BOB when warranted (To useage/Challenges) But I'm not of the thought that the reason Cancer exists is because BOB is hold back the cure.
BOB is the cancer on this team. He needs to be resected.

Tweet from @Unkle_Monkee: @PoliticalLM Lotsa empty seats with 3 minutes left in 1st. https://t.co/N1y9xbXVla
I had two tickets for the game. Couldn’t even find someone to buy them for 1/2 the price I paid, so I gave them to my little brother and his girlfriend. He’s texting me saying it feels weird that there are so many empty seats. I think the fan base is proving O’Brien wrong about what team runs the city. Why pay $200+ per ticket to watch mediocrity, when you can pay the same price to watch the Astros, currently in the postseason, play some great ball?

Last edited:
I don't like Bill O'Brien. But I do think he is instilling a certain toughness into this team. That wasn't the marshmallow Texans that would have allowed the Falcons to salvage their season.

I'm not saying they're a finished product. We'll probably look incompetent & unprepared next week.

As HC, he's got to go over our defensive strategy with RAC. 60 minutes of bend don't break against the Chiefs probably not a good idea.

I don't like Bill O'Brien. But I do think he is instilling a certain toughness into this team. That wasn't the marshmallow Texans that would have allowed the Falcons to salvage their season.

I'm not saying they're a finished product. We'll probably look incompetent & unprepared next week.

As HC, he's got to go over our defensive strategy with RAC. 60 minutes of bend don't break against the Chiefs probably not a good idea.
I have said this for over a year now. OB is an above-average HC (although his time management is atrocious), but a terrible OC. I just don't think he can handle both duties long-term. I really want to see him as a HC only and stop calling plays.

I have said this for over a year now. OB is an above-average HC (although his time management is atrocious), but a terrible OC. I just don't think he can handle both duties long-term. I really want to see him as a HC only and stop calling plays.

The issue with calling him an above average hc is he's still bad at timeouts, challenge flags and personnel

Nothing that happened in this game gave me a higher opinion of O'Brien. That was NOT his offense and unlike a certain poster who thinks he's "smart" for relying on someone else's scheme because his own doesn't work, we know how this results.

Even if we do have an amazing finish bastardizing the Clemson offense again, it's not a sustainable future. When one guy is your GM, HC, OC and playcaller, and the best thing he can do is gimp someone else's offense. Dude. It shows that we can not only win, but dominate IN SPITE OF.

I've said he might be a decent head coach, except he seems to be exceptionally difficult to work with. As a head coach with a good coordinator ... does that OC/DC run at first next opportunity because of "tea pot".

I defended O’Brien for 4 years. Last year I stopped and I’m not going back now just because Watson played close to a flawless game. The Falcons did a lot to help out as well.
Just got back from the game, did OB get extended another 4 years?
Well I hope not. But Watson's near flawless game just bought O'Brien a one-week stay of criticism from me.

I'm sticking to my assessment: As Watson goes, so goes this team. If O'Brien continues to let his guys play and not force feed a "system" they'll be alright.

It’s these things that make him a below average HC. He hasn’t done anything to say he’ll be above average.

All he’s shown is that he can beat mediocre and bad teams.
I know it's early in the season & all this is subject to change, but so far O'Brian is right on schedule. He can beat the losing teams but he almost always finds a way to choke against a winning team.

2019 Opponents & their records.

Saints: L REC 4/1
Jaguars W REC 2/3
Chargers W REC 2/3
Panthers L REC 3/2
Falcons W REC 1/4

I heard all week that the Falcons haven't been the same since the super bowl meltdown and I still thought their offensive talent would probably be enough to win today. I was wrong on that and I also heard their defense was trash and they proved that by a mile today.

Texans are still bi polar they can look good on offense like the games against the LAC,Saints, and today and they can't get out of their own way against Carolina and Jacksonville.

Which offense will show up next week ?

I know it's early in the season & all this is subject to change, but so far O'Brian is right on schedule. He can beat the losing teams but he almost always finds a way to choke against a winning team.

2019 Opponents & their records.

Saints: L REC 4/1
Jaguars W REC 2/3
Chargers W REC 2/3
Panthers L REC 3/2
Falcons W REC 1/4

Next week will be huge.

Watson can play and do it all if given the right plays. The line continues to get better. It's all on the coaching in my
Opinion. I needed this game and so did the players. Let's see how the Chiefs do after hopefully getting beaten up but beating the Colts
I'll keep preaching this until you guys get it: This team goes as Watson goes. I saw him make plays that weren't there initially. I saw him change out of potentially bad plays into good ones (the Carlos Hyde TD was definitely an audible). Whatever post game work Watson did with his QB coach paid off. It helped that the O-line didn't allow a sack too.

Now, RAC has work to do. If Watson has another off day (and he probably will) giving up 32 pts is too much. If ATL can do that, what will KC do? Next week will be a shootout!!

oh and where are all those 'Watson is too dumb...?' people???
CnnnD? Steelb?

I'll keep preaching this until you guys get it: This team goes as Watson goes. I saw him make plays that weren't there initially. I saw him change out of potentially bad plays into good ones (the Carlos Hyde TD was definitely an audible). Whatever post game work Watson did with his QB coach paid off. It helped that the O-line didn't allow a sack too.

Now, RAC has work to do. If Watson has another off day (and he probably will) giving up 32 pts is too much. If ATL can do that, what will KC do? Next week will be a shootout!!

oh and where are all those 'Watson is too dumb...?' people???
CnnnD? Steelb?

I resent that comment. First of all I never called Watson "too dumb' for anything. I said that in past games he commonly missed reads (esp, blitzes) and he held onto the ball too long and he was commonly hesitant...........and that's because he did and he was! Throughout this game, I gave him his due as he deserved it playing a good game for the most part. Something that those for their hate O'Brien could not find themselves to do likewise despite him calling a good game for the most part.

Something that those for their hate O'Brien could not find themselves to do likewise despite him calling a good game for the most part.

I resent that remark.

I gave O'Brien Kudos twice in two posts after this game. I even lied in another & said, "i don't like O'Brien..." when I usually say, "I hate Bill O'Brien..."

However, there is a rumor that Bill did not call this game & I'm reserving all future play calling kudos until I get more information.

I heard all week that the Falcons haven't been the same since the super bowl meltdown and I still thought their offensive talent would probably be enough to win today. I was wrong on that and I also heard their defense was trash and they proved that by a mile today.

Texans are still bi polar they can look good on offense like the games against the LAC,Saints, and today and they can't get out of their own way against Carolina and Jacksonville.

Which offense will show up next week ?

This is part of Watson's learning curve.

Posters need to take a look at tonights game and watch how Brisset is getting rid of the ball and he's still getting hit quite a few times.

I resent that comment. First of all I never called Watson "too dumb' for anything. I said that in past games he commonly missed reads (esp, blitzes) and he held onto the ball too long and he was commonly hesitant...........and that's because he did and he was! Throughout this game, I gave him his due as he deserved it playing a good game for the most part. Something that those for their hate O'Brien could not find themselves to do likewise despite him calling a good game for the most part.

That is a fair criticism and on any given Sunday we can say the same thing about any QB. Especially QBs like Rodgers, Big Ben and many other QBs. You never see anyone calling them stupid. To your credit. You did not call Watson dumb. However SteelB is another issue.

Personally, I'm calling SteelB out on this, "Watson is too dumb to run O'Brien's offense" take. SteelB is a smart guy and should understand the racial dog whistles of calling Watson "too stupid" to run O'Brien's offense. So, either he is too stupid to understand, just being an obtuse troll or there is a deeper agenda.

Personally, I found the comment ridiculous and a smear. Especially when you consider the QBs that have fumbled, thrown stupid INTs and pick six their way through the history of this organization and he never called any of them stupid.

That is a fair criticism and on any given Sunday we can say the same thing about any QB. Especially QBs like Rodgers, Big Ben and many other QBs. You never see anyone calling them stupid. To your credit. You did not call Watson dumb. However SteelB is another issue.

Personally, I'm calling SteelB out on this, "Watson is too dumb to run O'Brien's offense" take. SteelB is a smart guy and should understand the racial dog whistles of calling Watson "too stupid" to run O'Brien's offense. So, either he is too stupid to understand, just being an obtuse troll or there is a deeper agenda.

Personally, I found the comment ridiculous and a smear. Especially when you consider the QBs that have fumbled, thrown stupid INTs and pick six their way through the history of this organization and he never called any of them stupid.
Well said.

I resent that comment. First of all I never called Watson "too dumb' for anything I said that in past games he commonly missed reads (esp, blitzes) and he held onto the ball too long and he was commonly hesitant...........and that's because he did and he was! Throughout this game, I gave him his due as he deserved it playing a good game for the most part. Something that those for their hate O'Brien could not find themselves to do likewise despite him calling a good game for the most part.
Sorry, but I got the impression you thought he COULDN'T read but half the field and did all that other stuff - you were right, there were times he didn't, can't deny that. I see now you were just making observations. Fair enough.

I don't hate O'Brien, in fact, I actually like O'Brien the motivator. He has the team playing to the final gun every game and doesn't let them give up. That's how they won 9 in a row last year.

Now I don't think O'Brien the "offensive innovator" actually exists. We've chatted about that before. It took me a while to realize O'Brien is more Parcells than Andy Reid. When I stopped expecting him to be Reid/Walsh/Shanny Jr, etc., I'm a lot happier.

And as you've said before, it doesn't matter what O'Brien calls if Watson and the rest don't execute properly. That's why I say this team goes as Watson goes. If he sucks we suck. If he's on, like today, we're bad a$$.

I call things like I see them and he was confused and doesn't understand how to run the EP system after 3 yrs. Stupid was to strong a word to use, I should've said if he's confused after 3 yrs in the system he will never truly get the EP system and for this reason BOB should go back to the system Watson already knows. (Apparently BOB did this today. Or according to Amazing 80 and other posters somebody else changed the offense)

As far as the racial thingy goes I call them as I see them and I dont spend time thinking about racial terms or thoughts. My track record with anybody that knows me including several posters on this MB know that I'm the farthest thing from a racist and have friends of all races/sexual orientation that I truly value their friendship/fellowship.

IMHO, these insinuations of racism and "deeper agendas" have no place on this forum. If you don't know for a fact that a poster is racist, then making that insinuation is nothing but an unsubstantiated personal attack.

I personally think DW4 is/is going to be/ a great QB. I don't mind hearing others' criticize him, in fact, various opinions are what makes this forum interesting. If you don't agree with a poster, refute his opinion with fact.

IMHO, these insinuations of racism and "deeper agendas" have no place on this forum. If you don't know for a fact that a poster is racist, then making that insinuation is nothing but an unsubstantiated personal attack.

I personally think DW4 is/is going to be/ a great QB. I don't mind hearing others' criticize him, in fact, various opinions are what makes this forum interesting. If you don't agree with a poster, refute his opinion with fact.

Well said sir.

Lets not get ridicules here, there is no "racial dog whistles" in calling someone stupid. I've met lots of stupid people of all colors and genders. Hell they use to say about Terry Bradsaw had a 10 cent brain and a million dollar arm. Steel's take had nothing to do with race and everything to do with how great he think BoB's system is. There are a lot of holes that can be poked into his arguments, I know I enjoy doing it, but if we start looking at things through the race lens then this is going to go down hill really fast. Personally unless someone starts using racial slurs I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Also FYI pretty sure he did call several, Osweiler in particular, past QBs stupid, along with less flattering things.

blah blah blah

We'll either see the usual Texans which bow out early in the playoffs (if they make it) OR the Texans will make it to the AFC Championship and onto the SB. Until they actually do that I'll just keep on distrusting OB until he shows me otherwise.

Pro football in Houston has given me cake a few times, but it's always without icing. I've come to expect that after 50+ years. As far as I can see, Lucy is still pulling up the football when we try to kick it.

Lets not get ridicules here, there is no "racial dog whistles" in calling someone stupid. I've met lots of stupid people of all colors and genders. Hell they use to say about Terry Bradsaw had a 10 cent brain and a million dollar arm. Steel's take had nothing to do with race and everything to do with how great he think BoB's system is. There are a lot of holes that can be poked into his arguments, I know I enjoy doing it, but if we start looking at things through the race lens then this is going to go down hill really fast. Personally unless someone starts using racial slurs I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Also FYI pretty sure he did call several, Osweiler in particular, past QBs stupid, along with less flattering things.
I agree. I think his take on Watson was ridiculous and not accurate at all, but I don't think he was implying race was the cause. He just doesn't like Watson. He hasn't since the day he was drafted

I agree. I think his take on Watson was ridiculous and not accurate at all, but I don't think he was implying race was the cause. He just doesn't like Watson. He hasn't since the day he was drafted

I just think he's a middling QB if you don't run the first 7 game offense.

This is why I asked him is he already giving Watson the ______ treatment. Disclaimer :Don't want to use the old GMs name, knowing it will go south in a heartbeat. Since I've been on here dude would go on and on with his rants when he doesn't like a certain player. Example: Watson just put up another record breaking stat line. Lol and he's still claiming the youngster doesn't know the Bill O'brien's make shift EP system. The same with you know who brought in some really good talent and he never gave him credit. Always drove home the negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back