Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OB needs to “LOOK AT THE FILM” week after week....but nothing is learned and NOTHING changes after he looks at the film!! He is a broken record...”We gotta look at the film....we gotta play better....we gotta coach better”...ya da...ya da...ya da!! The Front Office has fired two GM’s, the Offensive Coordinator, a staff of coaches that would fill a locker room....but one common denominator remains! Bill O’Brian as HC, OC, GM and QB Coach....but couldn’t successfully Coach the Mascots during the halftime entertainment! O’Brian has had 6 years to build a championship team and the Texans are loaded with talent....BUT LEADERSHIP at HC is absent....OB was out coached today and every game for the past 6 years! It’s INSANE!

OB needs to write a book...... his book would be on the best sellers list for decades, if not longer.

The title "Promotions Undeserved: The Art of Convincing Your Boss You Arent Incompetent Though You Clearly Are."

I have seen him coach so I know he would make a horrible life coach... but the man is a master at the art of cutting a fart and blaming the dog, convincing those that matter.

OB needs to “LOOK AT THE FILM” week after week....but nothing is learned and NOTHING changes after he looks at the film!! He is a broken record...”We gotta look at the film....we gotta play better....we gotta coach better”...ya da...ya da...ya da!! The Front Office has fired two GM’s, the Offensive Coordinator, a staff of coaches that would fill a locker room....but one common denominator remains! Bill O’Brian as HC, OC, GM and QB Coach....but couldn’t successfully Coach the Mascots during the halftime entertainment! O’Brian has had 6 years to build a championship team and the Texans are loaded with talent....BUT LEADERSHIP at HC is absent....OB was out coached today and every game for the past 6 years! It’s INSANE!
How can anything be learned and or improved after watching film when he doesn’t even have a scheme? His “game plan per opponent” pitch would have been enough for any competent GM and or owner to realize this guy doesn’t know wtf he’s doing. We need a Head Coach that will install an actual system/identity!

Last edited:
What goes through Dabo's mind when he sees his QB prodigy be coached by an incompetent buffoon and regress?

Watson is hardly a prodigy.

He's a young guy learning his craft.

Time to let him run his college offense until he gets hurt, since he obviously is struggling to learn how to run a pro style offense.

This thing will come down to whether Cal McNair will hire a coach that fits Watson’s skill set or if they would actually say Watson is not the QB for the OB system and get another QB???

plenty of rumor/informed contributor access says OBrien didn’t really want Watson but wanted Mahomes instead and had Watson thrust on him by Rick Smith.

^^^^
This

The legacy of RS lives on.

Right now Watson is a young QB still learning.

I'm beginning to wonder if he will ever get it.

If I was BOB I would let Watson run his college offense until he gets hurt again.

Bwhahaha wow I can't believe someone would really think that skit we are seeing is a pro style offense. We are talking about an offense in which, what, a total of 18 quarterbacks couldn't grasp. Unbelievable

Instead of focusing on the true root cause. Hey let's blame the quarterback who actually has made this offense flow in spite of terrible play calling.

^^^^
This

If I was BOB I would let Watson run his college offense until he gets hurt again.

If I was bob the gm I would fire the head coach and get a real coach and OC

Reactions: ROO
The main problem I see is Bill O'Brien trying to drive down the throats of his players, his philosophy.

Watson is not a stand in the pocket 24/7 quarterback. His strength is his legs. That's why teams were scared to blitz him.

Your line is struggling in pass pro. So how about moving the pocket and helping both him and Watson out.

Stop depending on your defense to bail your dumb ash out. They're not to be trusted.

This team is a very poorly coached team.

Yep

Just let him run his college offense.

^^^^
This

Rick Smith has nothing to do w/ having a coach that isn't able to design an offense around the skills of the players on the team. BOB has demonstrated an inability to do so -- he is who we thought he was. You don't keep trying to find new round pegs when you have a coach that only knows how to put pegs into round holes. You find a coach that can change things up and put a square peg into a square hole. Clemson's offense isn't required to get us on track, but it would be better than what we saw today. Use the tools we have to get shorter chunks per play. 3 targets for Duke Johnson is gross negligence when we're clearly in a funk to get something going.

Yep

Just let him run his college offense.

Last season they were not running Clemson's offense. But like I told you before the youngster was going to take another beating because like you said, it's going to take 5 games until the offensive line gels. And I also told you to expect some injuries on the way. Fulton and Howard got hurt today. Again this is what happens when there's no real preperation throughout training camp and preseason.

Rick Smith has nothing to do w/ having a coach that isn't able to design an offense around the skills of the players on the team. BOB has demonstrated an inability to do so -- he is who we thought he was. You don't keep trying to find new round pegs when you have a coach that only knows how to put pegs into round holes. You find a coach that can change things up and put a square peg into a square hole. Clemson's offense isn't required to get us on track, but it would be better than what we saw today. Use the tools we have to get shorter chunks per play. 3 targets for Duke Johnson is gross negligence when we're clearly in a funk to get something going.

RS didn't get BOB the QB he wanted.

As I've said before I dont know that Watson will ever be able to run a pro offense regardless of the HC. I guess you could make him a 1 read QB and live with that. But letting him run his college offense will be the only way Watson will be truly successful regardless of the HC.

If Watson sucks as @steelb and others now seem to think, then getting Tunsil to protect him at all costs is even more of an overpay

As I've said before I dont know that Watson will ever be able to run a pro offense regardless of the HC. I guess you could make him a 1 read QB and live with that. But letting him run his college offense will be the only way Watson will be truly successful regardless of the HC.

He didn't want hoyer and mallet?

Last season they were not running Clemson's offense. But like I told you before the youngster was going to take another beating because like you said, it's going to take 5 games until the offensive line gels. And I also told you to expect some injuries on the way. Fulton and Howard got hurt today. Again this is what happens when there's no real preperation throughout training camp and preseason.

True about the preseason.

Last yr Watson was very avg and I attributed this to coming off of the ACL/Punctured lung/Broken ribs.

Would it simplify things for Watson if his primary read was Duke Johnson on 10-12 plays per game? It's not rocket science. The balls out quick. We're able to get into a rhythm. Other plays are set up where Duke is a decoy as plays were set up against us w/ how the Saints used Kamara. Spend 2 hours in practice this week and implement this and we're a different team. But nope. We keep practicing the same garbage hoping that one day the OLine will miraculously hold their blocks for 4 seconds and Watson will become Tom Brady. This is a simple square peg round hole coaching problem that isn't getting better. Find a better coach and let Watson be Watson.

KC doesn't have a problem mixing in quite of few Texas Tech plays with Mahomes. And throughout Watson rookie year, he lit the NFL up with Clemson's offense.

Again Bill O'Brien is the culprit here not Watson.

I agree,

Which is why I want BOB to go back to running Watson's college offense.

Reactions: ROO
Would it simplify things for Watson if his primary read was Duke Johnson on 10-12 plays per game? It's not rocket science. The balls out quick. We're able to get in a rhythm. Other plays are set up where Duke is a decoy as plays were set up against us w/ how the Saints used Kamara. Spend 2 hours in practice this week and implement this and we're a different team. But nope. We keep practicing the same garbage hoping that one day the OLine will miraculously hold their blocks for 4 seconds and Watson will become Tom Brady. This is a simple square peg round hole coaching problem that isn't getting better. Find a better coach and let Watson be Watson.

I'm not against getting another HC. Tell me who you would get. Watson being Watson is running his college offense. He cant seem to figure out how to run a pro style offense.

Tell me what's a good pro offense in your eyes?

The EP system is a great system but your QB has to be able to make quick/desisive decisions.

Watson would thrive in the chiefs, eagles, Packers or even cowboys system.

OBriens offense has always sucked. I'm not going to blame Watson for 6 years of suck when he's only been here 2.5

Because running a pro offense is obviously too hard for him to learn/run.

And what makes it pro? Hoyer, Mallet, Savage, Osweiler couldn’t do it at all, Watson is inconsistent when he tries to do it and Brady didn’t want to do it and did his own thing because he’s Tom Brady. If you are a coach and had only limited success with your pro offense time to change up this offense. At the end of the day if you are winning game who cares if it’s a pro, college, sandlot or peewee football offense as long as it wins games.

Hell even BoB seems to have trouble making it work with regularity. Last week he switched it up and called a great game, this week he screwed the pooch. If even the coach can’t make it work week to week what hope do the players have?

KC doesn't have a problem mixing in quite of few Texas Tech plays with Mahomes. And throughout Watson rookie year, he lit the NFL up with Clemson's offense.

Again Bill O'Brien is the culprit here not Watson.

I’m not sure judging on his rookie year is the best because teams didn’t have film on him. That said throwing in some of those wild college plays would if nothing else keep the defenses guessing and maybe punish them for blitzing so much.

Watson is a square peg and this scheme seems to be a round hole. If you’ve ever actually hammered one of those in they actually do go in if hit hard enough but they basically have to cut into the sides of the hole. I think that’s what we see sometimes, the square peg cut enough into the sides to get a little more in.

Last edited:
Watson would thrive in the chiefs, eagles, Packers or even cowboys system.

OBriens offense has always sucked. I'm not going to blame Watson for 6 years of suck when he's only been here 2.5

He probably would be better since those offenses are RPO offenses minus the Packers. Thrive? Doubtful if he was as inacurate as he as today and indecisive.

I'm not against getting another HC. Tell me who you would get. Watson being Watson is running his college offense. He cant seem to figure out how to run a pro style offense.
I feel for Cal right now. It was a gutsy move to give BOB as much control as he did and I think it would have paid off if BOB's problems really were just not getting the right guys like many of us thought might have been the case. I've said it a dozen times, it's really difficult to evaluate a head coach because of all the things that factor into a team's performance. So I don't blame him for thinking that BOB could make us the next Patriots if all the obstacles were removed from BOB's path. But all the variables were tested in the experiment w/ BOB being the constant and it's now clear that BOB doesn't have what it takes. If I'm Cal, I have the Colvin conversation w/ BOB and let him go right now and make RAC the interim head coach and have Kelly take over the offense working closely w/ Carl Smith. Rip off the band-aid and see what Kelly can do w/ Smith bringing ideas to the table.

And what makes it pro? Hoyer, Mallet, Savage, Osweiler couldn’t do it at all, Watson is inconsistent when he tries to do it and Brady didn’t want to do it and did his own thing because he’s Tom Brady. If you are a coach and had only limited success with your pro offense time to change up this offense. At the end of the day if you are winning game who cares if it’s a pro, college, sandlot or peewee football offense as long as it wins games.

Hell even BoB seems to have trouble making it work with regularity. Last week he switched it up and called a great game, this week he screwed the pooch. If even the coach can’t make it work week to week what hope do the players have?

I’m sure judging on his rookie year is the best because teams didn’t have film on him. That said throwing in some of those wild college plays would if nothing else keep the defenses guessing and maybe punish them for blitzing so much.

Watson is a square peg and this scheme seems to be a round hole. If you’ve ever actually hammered one of those in they actually do go in if hit hard enough but they basically have to cut into the sides of the hole. I think that’s what we see sometimes, the square peg cut enough into the sides to get a little more in.

This is why I hope they go back to letting Watson run his college offense. He will produce until he gets hurt then it will be time to move on.

He probably would be better since those offenses are RPO offenses minus the Packers. Thrive? Doubtful if he was as inacurate as he as today and indecisive.

He's been accurate until OBrien starts forcing this dumb dump off crap recently.

Rodgers holds the ball about as long as Watson.

I feel for Cal right now. It was a gutsy move to give BOB as much control as he did and I think it would have paid off if BOB's problems really were just not getting the right guys like many of us thought might have been the case. I've said it a dozen times, it's really difficult to evaluate a head coach because of all the things that factor into a team's performance. So I don't blame him for thinking that BOB could make us the next Patriots if all the obstacles were removed from BOB's path. But all the variables were tested in the experiment w/ BOB being the constant and it's now clear that BOB doesn't have what it takes. If I'm Cal, I have the Colvin conversation w/ BOB and let him go right now and make RAC the interim head coach and have Kelly take over the offense working closely w/ Carl Smith. Rip off the band-aid and see what Kelly can do w/ Smith bringing ideas to the table.

Since this isn't going to happen they should just run the offense Watson's most comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back