FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if OB tries to implement something new each game:

Game 1: Running Game
Game 2: Offensive Line
Game 3: Tight Ends

Or something similar.

But in Game 4 he is going to try something but forget about games 1-3 where something was successful.

Yeah we'll have to see if this carries over to next week. We play the Pants right? Newton is a shell of his former self so defense should be able to hold him, especially if Watt is back to being Watt. If we keep this up offense side we should have more points than they can answer. Carolina has never had a great defense. Hey Kdog what odds are they giving us in Vegas?

Cam not playing Sunday.

I think DW is winning these games in spite of OB. Everything seems to be off schedule. Several plays yesterday that were blitz beaters and I’m all for that but it just feels that most plays are DW and the guys playing sand lot football

I'm thinking the QB coach sat down with Watson and went over the previous films. Pointed out the different type of blitzes that were coming at him and then told him to hit your hot reads. I believe in practice they had the defense to blitz him and actually showed him where he should go with the ball.

In the game he went to the tight ends a lot and the receivers route tree was condensed.

I still think Tim Kelly took over playcalling in the second half
I think so too. Much of the first half had OB hands on it. The plays looked familiar as the other games before.

I didn’t notice many 2nd/3rd and longs in the second half either.

I still think Tim Kelly took over playcalling in the second half

I think so too. Much of the first half had OB hands on it. The plays looked familiar as the other games before.

I didn’t notice many 2nd/3rd and longs in the second half either.

Doubt Kelly took over. Seems I remember seeing OB with the Denny's menu in the 2nd half. And I'm sure somebody covering the Texans would have been all over that in Twitterville.

And they had two 3rd and 8 or more in the 1st half, 2 in the 2nd half. Five 2nd and 8 or more in the 1st half, 10 in the 2nd half. And most of that was penalties or the run game just getting nothing in this game.

Watson just played better. He recognized the blitz, got the ball where it needed to go, did his amazing Houdini stuff, and utilized the TEs for a change, AND the middle for a change.

Let's see what happens with Carolina. The offense has had (overall) two good games and one bad game. I'm still in the unconvinced territory for now.
We could dominate the Pats in the playoffs, win the Superbowl gane after that.... and Id STILL be highly skeptical about being legitimate contenders for the 2020 season.

Id be happy, dont get me wrong. Id give credit where its due...... but I've been a Houston fan too long to unlearn everything in one season.

My pessimism would simply be put on a shelf between the SB win and Preseason to enjoy the win.

We could dominate the Pats in the playoffs, win the Superbowl gane after that.... and Id STILL be highly skeptical about being legitimate contenders for the 2020 season.

Id be happy, dont get me wrong. Id give credit where its due...... but I've been a Houston fan too long to unlearn everything in one season.

My pessimism would simply be put on a shelf between the SB win and Preseason to enjoy the win.

Me too I always expect Lucy to pull the ball away from Charlie Brown at any second.

I think DW is winning these games in spite of OB. Everything seems to be off schedule. Several plays yesterday that were blitz beaters and I’m all for that but it just feels that most plays are DW and the guys playing sand lot football

I agree with his post!!!

Let's see what happens with Carolina. The offense has had (overall) two good games and one bad game. I'm still in the unconvinced territory for now.

I think they are an average 8-9 win team. OBrien traded all those picks to keep the team respectable so he wouldn't lose his job.

But in the coming years we'll start seeing key free agents leave and be lacking in draft capital

I wonder if Cal told him to hand over the play call duties to Kelly during halftime.
I think either BoB adjusted, which is a reasonable thing to do and a nice, unexpected step in the right direction, I just hope it continues. Or, BoB swallowed his pride and handed over the play calling duties in mid-game, something I think would be really difficult for OB. Or...Being that the Texans ran the ball on second and long more than any other team last year and only ran twice out of 20 attempts in those situations against the Chargers I’m guessing OB simply adjusted his game plan.

A prideful man (O’Brien is certainly that) who has plenty of money (OB does) and probably wouldn’t have problems finding another job would probably retire if his boss told him he doesn’t know what he’s doing, and demands that he is to give his work to someone else in the organization.

I don’t think BoB had some kind of sudden awakening. I don’t think he’s profoundly changed. I don’t think his boss is micromanaging him. For now, I think he guessed right for once.

Last edited:

Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure many an Eagles fan feel the same way.

I think his boss is micromanaging him.

I was with you right up until you made that statement. I think that statement is ludicrous and goes against your statement of OB being a 'prideful man' that knows he probably wouldn't have problems finding another job

Here’s a different theory. Maybe, O’Brien took over play calls again after such a poor 1st half, and got the offense going. I don’t see him just quitting (too much pride) and handing play call duties to the young rookie OC. That would be humiliating and ego suicide.

Here’s a different theory. Maybe, O’Brien took over play calls again after such a poor 1st half, and got the offense going. I don’t see him just quitting (too much pride) and handing play call duties to the young rookie OC. That would be humiliating and ego suicide.

Yes, this. This is the most likely scenario and makes the most sense.

Ah, the scapegoat scenario. "when it works I did it, when it doesn't ... playoff fail gets someone else fired". Makes sense. Hang on, was that a serious post?

Ah, the scapegoat scenario. "when it works I did it, when it doesn't ... playoff fail gets someone else fired". Makes sense. Hang on, was that a serious post?
I think you misread my post. Everyone in this forum knows my thoughts on O’Brien. In case you’re being serious, and you somehow missed the opening sentence, what I meant is I don’t see O’Brien handing anything over to anyone. EVER! His ego is about the size of an elephant. I do see him snatching play calling off Kelly by half time since his ass is probably riding on this season.

I think you misread my post. Everyone in this forum knows my thoughts on O’Brien. How did you miss the opening sentence of my post? In case you’re being serious, what I meant is I don’t see O’Brien handing anything over to anyone. EVER! His ego is about the size of an elephant. I do see him snatching play calling off Kelly by half time since his ass is probably riding on this season.

I definitely misread your post, taking it at a glance and responding instead of actually reading - unfortunately that's hardly new territory for me.

I think you misread my post. Everyone in this forum knows my thoughts on O’Brien. In case you’re being serious, and you somehow missed the opening sentence, what I meant is I don’t see O’Brien handing anything over to anyone. EVER! His ego is about the size of an elephant. I do see him snatching play calling off Kelly by half time since his ass is probably riding on this season.

I definitely misread your post, taking it at a glance and responding instead of actually reading - unfortunately that's hardly new territory for me.

To be fair I misread it to until I read this exchange and looked at it again.

Bill O'Brien called the entire game. I was just joking about the play calling duties because the offense was like night and day. This is not the first time we've witness such drastic change. You can best believe it won't be the last. But every team has these type of moments.

I will say Bill O'Brien called up one helluva second half. Great job coach

Last edited:
I was with you right up until you made that statement. I think that statement is ludicrous and goes against your statement of OB being a 'prideful man' that knows he probably wouldn't have problems finding another job
I meant “don’t”. I skipped the word don’t in that sentence. I was typing from my phone in a doctors waiting room and got sloppy. I changed it in my post.

Bill O'Brien called the entire game. I was just joking about the play calling duties because the offense was like night and day. This is not the first time we've witness such drastic change. You can best believe it won't be the last. But every team has these type of moments.

I will say Bill O'Brien called up one helluva second half. Great job coach
Agreed. Occam’s Razor. When looking at two or more explanations of an event, the one that requires the least speculation is usually the correct choice.

In this case, O’Brien called the entire game on offense. And, for the most part it was a good game plan. There were some rough spots, it was far from perfect. But it was good enough to get the W.

You dont say?

I did say. The poster's words didn't match what he meant to say (forum text is funny like that), and so I acquiesced out of respect. You went ape-**** the last time I read into a poster's meaning instead of his words, and should have me on ignore to prevent any recurrence. Especially when one member keeps stalking another with random unnecessary comments. Just like a Brown/Penn St fan, always trying to be smarter than everyone else.

edit: scratch the last idea. Ivy league "Brown" is too easy. This is going to be fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back