Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Earl Thomas

badboy

Hall of Fame
He flipped off his head coach as he was carted off the field in his last game as a Seahawk and stood by the gesture in later comments. Got in two fights with teammates in Baltimore and punched one of them which lead to his dismissal. Late to and missed meetings and seems to like to run his mouth. I haven't read anything about him trying to get out of Baltimore but even if he was, he certainly doesn't fit the profile of what we were lead to believe defined a TEAM BOB player.
My understanding he was told by Seattle they would take care of him contract wise but did not and the gesture was he did not feel his head coach had supported him.

The second players had jumped him verbally and Thomas took it but reacted when the player continued ; as in enough is enough. I could see myself responding the same although I get team didn't approve. Thomas. Is an alpha wolf who who nips and growels at teammates who responded by voting him off the island. I wonder what Blacklock thought when Watt said he was selfish and made stupid mistake? If JJ had shoved him or struck him Blacklock may have shrugged and said he deserved it. Would a vet like Reader have taken it or in heat of moment lashed back? Thomas was wrong and it is costing him up to ten million dollars. That's a high 'fine'. I'm not too concerned if he becomes a Texan. He has not signed yet to my knowledge.

Max

Veteran
My understanding he was told by Seattle they would take care of him contract wise but did not and the gesture was he did not feel his head coach had supported him.

The second players had jumped him verbally and Thomas took it but reacted when the player continued ; as in enough is enough. I could see myself responding the same although I get team didn't approve. Thomas. Is an alpha wolf who who nips and growels at teammates who responded by voting him off the island. I wonder what Blacklock thought when Watt said he was selfish and made stupid mistake? If JJ had shoved him or struck him Blacklock may have shrugged and said he deserved it. Would a vet like Reader have taken it or in heat of moment lashed back? Thomas was wrong and it is costing him up to ten million dollars. That's a high 'fine'. I'm not too concerned if he becomes a Texan. He has not signed yet to my knowledge.
You have no argument with me. I have no problem with bringing in guys like this. I'm just pointing out what appears to be a change of heart by BOB. Why is this guy any better than DHop? I'd take DHop's attitude all day over this guys. It's also amusing to me how people get behind this coach no matter what. DHop showing up late to meetings? Can't have that! But now when we find out that the coach may be pursuing one of these guys -- that's all in the past I'm sure. It'll be different here! I don't get what's different about this guy than the other guys with 'character' concerns that this board has discussed. We discuss Dez Bryant when he's not linked to the team -- nope! He's a locker room cancer! Then another guy comes around that the team has shown an interest in and suddenly none of that matters. Some guys are going to back this coach/organization no matter what they do.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
You have no argument with me. I have no problem with bringing in guys like this. I'm just pointing out what appears to be a change of heart by BOB. Why is this guy any better than DHop? I'd take DHop's attitude all day over this guys. It's also amusing to me how people get behind this coach no matter what. When discussing the prospect of bringing in Dez Bryant -- nope! He's a locker room cancer! DHop showing up late to meetings? Can't have that! But now when we find out that the coach may be pursuing one of these guys -- that's all in the past I'm sure. It'll be different here! I don't get what's different about this guy than the other guys with 'character' concerns that this board has discussed.
......Hopkins wasn't just a cancer, OB figured he was a genetic jack-hammer as well. He wasn't thrilled with idea of all those baby mamas kids running around the locker room asking Uncle OB for the change in his pocket or why is that hole in his chin.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
You have no argument with me. I have no problem with bringing in guys like this. I'm just pointing out what appears to be a change of heart by BOB. Why is this guy any better than DHop? I'd take DHop's attitude all day over this guys. It's also amusing to me how people get behind this coach no matter what. DHop showing up late to meetings? Can't have that! But now when we find out that the coach may be pursuing one of these guys -- that's all in the past I'm sure. It'll be different here! I don't get what's different about this guy than the other guys with 'character' concerns that this board has discussed. We discuss Dez Bryant when he's not linked to the team -- nope! He's a locker room cancer! Then another guy comes around that the team has shown an interest in and suddenly none of that matters. Some guys are going to back this coach/organization no matter what they do.
I look at it a bit differently, did we have positive that he had been invited to come or just that some non Texan said he heard it through the grapevine? Perhaps Bill in his newly awakened state of being invited him maybe even with Cal's knowledge but Mrs Janice said NO!! There is still a big difference between Hopkins and Thomas and it ain't just the contract. Still, Thomas in bed with a prostitute with his wife waving a hand gun at him was not going to sit well with Janice Suber McNair.

texanhead08

All Pro
This might be the right move. I think its a huge red flag that well run teams like the Ravens and Seahawks wash their hands of a talented guy. It usually means something ain't right with him.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
My overactive imagination . . .

O'Brien, as a football coach, probably wanted Thomas for obvious reasons. He'd immediately improve the defense.

But, Easterby whispering sweet nothings in a McNair ear about soap, chastity, and rainbows ended the potential upgrade. :secret::boogereater:

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I think I remember him having had 1 pass defensed all yesterday. Other than that he’s smallish against big WR’s and his tackling sucks. He’s been easy pickings on quick slants for the qbs we have played. I actually didn’t notice he was starting opposite Roby until the Ravens game when I was wondering who was #32 in the back at safety. 1st I thought it was Murray, Then I found out it was Lonnie...which led me to question who then was the boundary cb opposite Roby where I though Lonnie was...

Ive also noticed AJ Moore for all the wrong reasons when I watch the All-22. Getting lost in coverage, not wrapping up on tackles etc.
AJ is terrible

zshawn10

All Pro
McClain talking right now.

Says he's heard they had a lot of discussion, and before he had a chance to work out they cancelled the workout. Says he thinks they might leak it out that it was due to COVID-19 protocols, but he feels they just didn't think he was a good fit.

Thinks they should look at Eric Reid but for whatever reason they're not interested in Eric Reid. Says he doesn't think its related to viewpoints/stance by Eric Reid as it's clear BoB is right there taking a knee alongside his players before games.

Says he's going to ask O'Brien about it tomorrow.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Says he's heard they had a lot of discussion, and before he had a chance to work out they cancelled the workout. Says he thinks they might leak it out that it was due to COVID-19 protocols, but he feels they just didn't think he was a good fit.

Thinks they should look at Eric Reid but for whatever reason they're not interested in Eric Reid. Says he doesn't think its related to viewpoints/stance by Eric Reid as it's clear BoB is right there taking a knee alongside his players before games.

So... He was good fit before work out was cancelled?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Actually it seems there was a an interview and physical...............no workout..................an interview gone bad is likely the reason for no imminent signing.

Houston coach Bill O'Brien told Thomas' agents that the NFL required the Texans to cancel Thomas' workout because of COVID-19 concerns, the agents told ESPN's Adam Schefter.But a source told ESPN's Dianna Russini reports that the decision to not sign Thomas at this time was not related to COVID-19, but a decision made by the Texans.
link

Maybe they flipped each other the bird..............

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
My overactive imagination . . .

O'Brien, as a football coach, probably wanted Thomas for obvious reasons. He'd immediately improve the defense.

But, Easterby whispering sweet nothings in a McNair ear about soap, chastity, and rainbows ended the potential upgrade. :secret::boogereater:
& this is why BO'b is still here, will be here, & keeps getting promoted. He's doing what they want & taking the heat for it.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Well looks like there is truth in O'Brien's statement.

Roger Goodell in memo to NFL teams: "Clubs should review their procedures for bringing in new players for tryouts and possible signing.''

REFER TO: https://www.texanstalk.com/threads/nfl-covid-19-protocol.115231/page-5#post-3091387
Except they worked out a handful of other guys yesterday..

Maybe those dudes were already in town and in some kind of covid protocol before the Titans tests came out, idk. But something must differentiate them from Ear Thomas.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Except they worked out a handful of other guys yesterday..
Maybe those dudes were already in town and in some kind of covid protocol before the Titans tests came out, idk. But something must differentiate them from Ear Thomas.
Those other players were worked out yesterday morning. I can tell you that Thomas was COVID-tested and given a physical exam at Methodist Hospital with his workout not scheduled until later in the afternoon...........which would have had to be conducted after the Goodell memo was already released.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Those other players were worked out yesterday morning. I can tell you that Thomas was COVID-tested and given a physical exam at Methodist Hospital with his workout not scheduled until later in the afternoon...........which would have had to be conducted after the Goodell memo was already released.
I would think a work out like this for a guy like Earl Thomas (WOS) would be a formality. The interview would have been the biggest deciding factor here.

I'm not trying to add to the conspiracy & getting shot down stuff. Just saying. They know what Earl can do. Is he healthy? Well, he was given a physical exam. Where the heck is his head at? Well, they interviewed him. He's going to become, or not become a Texans based on those.

Meaning, I can only imagine what he told BO'b during that interview. I know what I would have told him & it probably wouldn't get me a job in Houston.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I can only imagine what he told BO'b during that interview. I know what I would have told him & it probably wouldn't get me a job in Houston.
You're Earl Thomas. Bill O'Brien asks you, "Do you think you can help us win?" What do you say?

If it were me:

BO'b: Do you think you can help us win?
Earl: Depends, are you going to keep running that BS offense you've been running for 6 years?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
yup...people run with rumor and supposition to easily just b/c it fits their narrative about something... thread died as soon as you posted this....
Riiiiiiight, because the Texans have a history of hiring players with off-field baggage, amirite? :mcnugget:

C'mon, man, their history and "Texans worthy" stuff is well documented.

I was surprised this organization was even willing to kick the tires of Earl Thomas.

badboy

Hall of Fame
As I've just found out, the other players that were reported as having been worked out yesterday, were not. Their workouts were also cancelled. As opposed to Thomas, they have opted to stay in town and will be worked out tomorrow if there are no further obstacles.
Thanks. At 130 pm 610 they repeated Obrien earlier comments and I thought he said rather than keep any in hotel rooms for days he released them. Guess a glimmer remains of signing Earl.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Aaron Wilson posted this to Twitter just an hour or so ago:

"Texans' workout for quarterbacks Shea Patterson and Kelly Bryant, wide receiver-kick returner Trevor Davis and cornerback Nate Brooks still scheduled for Thursday with those players remaining in Houston for their COVID-19 testing past few days."

So yeah, keep towing the company line when the facts say something else. :rolleyes:

Interesting take that I hadn't previously heard but has validity based on accounts of his time with the Ravens.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/texans-pass-on-earl-thomas
Texans pass on Earl Thomas after numerous players made push to keep the safety out of their locker room
Reports of the Texans' desire to sign troubled safety Earl Thomas became very public by the middle of last week, but the team ultimately opted not to enter into any agreement with the free agent despite some close to him believing a signing was imminent. That's because numerous Texans players expressed their displeasure about bringing Thomas into their locker room, team sources said, ultimately convincing coach/general manager Bill O'Brien to back off.