Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Earl Thomas

JWTexans

Waterboy
20200928_161640.jpg
I'm a big UT guy, so I love E.T., however, at this point in their careers Mathieu is a much better player and they didn't think enough of him to resign him.
On top of that, they spent more money this off season on Safety help than any other position and now they're bringing in another player because the ones they have aren't worth a dime.
Just another reason that the GM/HC/Dictator needs to be canned asap.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I think it spells the end for either AJ Moore Hargreaves and/or Phillip Gaines....Murray will still be here as a nickel/dime CB guy who can back up Safety and CB and can play safety in the event they wanna play quarters with 3 safeties. I think the Lonnie Johnson experiment at safety is over..he slides down to the nickel..Conley comes back in as the boundary corner opposite Roby.

I think it spells the end for either AJ Moore Hargreaves and/or Phillip Gaines....Murray will still be here as a nickel/dime CB guy who can back up Safety and CB and can play safety in the event they wanna play quarters with 3 safeties. I think the Lonnie Johnson experiment at safety is over..he slides down to the nickel..Conley comes back in as the boundary corner opposite Roby.
I think AJ Moore goes to IR and the other two Hargreaves and Gaines should be cut. They have to get better in the secondary, but at what cost? I wonder when does Conley return...

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Hargreaves had some bad moments yesterday, no doubt. But he had some good moments too. He played with plenty of effort, I thought. If only we had people that we pay to help these guys get better every day.
I think I remember him having had 1 pass defensed all yesterday. Other than that he’s smallish against big WR’s and his tackling sucks. He’s been easy pickings on quick slants for the qbs we have played. I actually didn’t notice he was starting opposite Roby until the Ravens game when I was wondering who was #32 in the back at safety. 1st I thought it was Murray, Then I found out it was Lonnie...which led me to question who then was the boundary cb opposite Roby where I though Lonnie was...

Ive also noticed AJ Moore for all the wrong reasons when I watch the All-22. Getting lost in coverage, not wrapping up on tackles etc.

Mangler

Toro de España
What happened to that $18M safety no one ever heard of they signed?
Reid? Oh, O’Brien thought he would play just as good as Justin and his older brother Eric because they all have the same last name. Now he’s going after Earl Thomas because he probably just came to the realization he’s a dumbass that can’t do anything right, and finally swallowed some of his pride.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
What happened to that $18M safety no one ever heard of they signed?
Murray’s actually been playing ok. For whatever reason though....or maybe due to Conley’s injury, Weaver has been having Lonnie play safety more while Murray has been drawing most of the cb duties in nickel situations. I think the KC game scared them away from using Gaines and the rookie Reid in at Nickel who both saw snaps in that game and haven’t seen any since.....& rightfully so..So in an effort to keep their best 4-5 guys on the field at all times and to give different types of looks and flexibility, Lonnie in certain situations is playing safety while Murray is playing more coverage at CB. Moore saw snaps in dime at times.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Reid? Oh, O’Brien thought he would play just as good as Justin and his older brother Eric because they all have the same last name. Now he’s going after Earl Thomas because he probably just cane to the realization he’s a dumbass.
No, Murray. They gave that dude 3 years $18M, right? But I guess that’s better than giving up a 3rd (Conley), so there’s that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
0-3 is right where O'Brien wants to be for his great motivational speech. :dancing:

This is a move that reeks of desperation, especially considering Thomas is not "Texans worthy" (which appears to be a standard that has nothing to do with actual football talent).
Think he could've done a better job of covering Ebron/Andrews/Kelce than Murray/Moore/LJo?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Think he could've done a better job of covering Ebron/Andrews/Kelce than Murray/Moore/LJo?
I like Thomas on the field. Not sure what he's got left in the tank at this point.

I'm just surprised the Texans would even ponder signing him after their history of limits in hiring guys. Last season O'Brien wouldn't even consider it.

texanhead08

All Pro
If Thomas can play on the dline he might help, but this team can't stop the run so another guy past his prime on the back end won't help much.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If Thomas can play on the dline he might help, but this team can't stop the run so another guy past his prime on the back end won't help much.
Sure it will strengthen roster when you can and Thomas will do that. 31YOA he rushed QB 101 times in 2019 and in cov'g allowed only ( .17) yards in coverage snaps which 5th best for safeties. He was 4th best safety in slot.

If we signed a backer that could shut down the run we would be better even if he wasn't good in coverage. That is what Bill hoped he was getting when he extended Cunningham w/out success so far.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I’m just interested to see how they use him. At his best In Seattle, he was allowed to roam and use his instincts to wreak havoc...a lot like Matthieu is used in KC. Chancellor covered a lot for him.

When he got to Baltimore, they play with a little more structure on defense and it frustrated those guys On the backend b/c they blitzed a lot more...and b/c they already have a guy who likes to gamble back there in Marcus Peters.

Max

Veteran
Anyone know how Thomas practices?
Thomas would be another problem based on his behavior in Baltimore. The Athletic’s Jeff Zrebiec highlighted some of the other issues behind his release:

The decision was based on a pattern of behavior that included Thomas not showing up to or coming late to meetings, blowing off walk-through practices, not listening to coaches and having confrontations with teammates, sources said.
I heard that after 0-3, BOB has lowered his standards to players that know how to spell TEAM. Apparently Thomas aced the spelling bee.

JWTexans

Waterboy
He still has something left in the tank. He has been to the Pro Bowl 2 of the last 3 years including last year. I know that doesn't mean as much as it used to, but who else in our secondary can say that?
He's also only 31, which isn't that old for a safety, especially one with top notch instincts that Thomas has shown to have in his career. This isn't another Ed Reed signing. It is definitely a desperation move, but its gonna be on a 1-year league minimum prove it type deal. Just BoB the GM trying to save BoB the HCs @ss.

JWTexans

Waterboy
So we let go of a WR supposedly because he was a locker room cancer, but now they’re willing to sign one? AB come on down, your next to sign here. :kitten:
The Jets can cut LeVeon Bell after this season with no cap hit, maybe BoB will make a run at him if(when) Cal doesn't can him.

Max

Veteran
Not excusing behavior but wasn't that because he was forcing a move?
He flipped off his head coach as he was carted off the field in his last game as a Seahawk and stood by the gesture in later comments. Got in two fights with teammates in Baltimore and punched one of them which lead to his dismissal. Late to and missed meetings and seems to like to run his mouth. I haven't read anything about him trying to get out of Baltimore but even if he was, he certainly doesn't fit the profile of what we were lead to believe defined a TEAM BOB player.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He flipped off his head coach as he was carted off the field in his last game as a Seahawk and stood by the gesture in later comments. Got in two fights with teammates in Baltimore and punched one of them which lead to his dismissal. Late to and missed meetings and seems to like to run his mouth. I haven't read anything about him trying to get out of Baltimore but even if he was, he certainly doesn't fit the profile of what we were lead to believe defined a TEAM BOB player.
Can he still cover the TE? If so sign him up.