Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I don't think that's what CnnD said, more like exposing the tampering. Nick Caserio never spoke with Steven Ross.

& no. Hardball would have been stopping all payments & telling Watson we"ll settle in arbitration, most likely after the legal issues are resolved.
Lol well that's one form of hard ball but not getting much in return. I'm not focusing on paying DW but moving him for most I can get.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Here is post I referred to

This is true, there was never a deal in place as some reported and Caserio was never going to trade him before the trade deadline.

[Information I have just received from a very reliable inside source]

But... Caserio set out to get some things in this trade deadline dance, and he got them.

1) Through some... negotiating ploys, we'll call them, Caserio flushed out Stephen Ross to join in with the rest of his top FO guys in tampering with Watson. Ross told Watson he would pay for all of his settlements out of his own pocket if he'd get them done. And Watson/Hardin tried to get them done, and done with very strong NDAs. Watson/Hardin/Mulugheta had been saying for months, "No settlements, no NDAs of any kind." All BS. Caserio just tricked Watson into admitting he will settle the cases with NDAs, which increase his trade value.

2) Miami has been colluding with Watson & his people for many months, everybody knows it and that is tampering. But instead of reporting it to the league office, which is not his style, Nick let Grier and Flores and finally Ross tamper themselves into a PR nightmare. Chris Grier's post trade deadline presser was a disaster, he looked like a fool and he lied and lied and even lost his composure a little bit. Caserio got his pound of flesh without killing a future deal, and the next time Miami comes for Watson all the backchannel shenanigans trying to reduce the compensation will have no merit. Watson, by way of Ross, was ready to settle with NDAs. So pay up or another team will.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
Here is post I referred to
Was the subject of the salary cap violations actually discussed though? That was the first thing I thought of when I first read that CND post. I don't remember any discussions on that topic. And I agree with Earl34, paying DW's settlements would have to count against Miami's salary cap.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Was the subject of the salary cap violations actually discussed though? That was the first thing I thought of when I first read that CND post. I don't remember any discussions on that topic. And I agree with Earl34, paying DW's settlements would have to count against Miami's salary cap.
Thank you. Exactly. Can you imagine NFL owners buying homes, vehicles or making their planes available to players who sign with their teams? If Ross is paying settlements, where does those "perks" end? A condo on South Beach? A chain of massage parlors? This is a great forum. But there tends to be a lot of stuff that is posted, then regurgitated that defies logic and we don't question the content or logic.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
He can't afford to make $35M and do nothing like the $10M he made this year doing nothing?
Watson cannot afford, “from a playing perspective” (didn’t want to spell it out), another season off an NFL playing field. I believe he and his agent are very aware of this well. I don’t exactly see Watson as the sharpest stick in the wood pile when it comes to common sense and wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see his windfall slip through his fingers like trying to catch water with a strainer.

I don’t think the Texans have any desire to swallow that 40M dollar pill in 2022. They will probably be working with Goodell or asking for his help in finding the proper channel to suspend Watson without pay or at least until they find a legal angle to void his contract before releasing him.

I see several teams that could have interest in Watson if things look favorable after February. One could still be Miami….which we all know is a check if Caserio is satisfied with the return but other teams that could help up the ante in a bidding war; Carolina, Denver, New Orleans, Washington, NYG, Detroit, Minnesota (if they move away from Cousins), Pittsburgh, Cleveland (if they move away from Mayfield), Seattle, and Atlanta……should all be favorable enough destinations for Watson to waive his NTC…outside of maybe the Lions.

OptimisticTexan

Has anyone thought that Ross’ offer to pay settlements could easily be taken care of during the renegotiating of Watson’s contract? He’s going to need to offset the cap hit anyways. So pay him a 25-35M dollar signing bonus (or call it payment for settlements) and call it a day. Watson comes to Miami and announces that he’s sorry about his actions and will seek help in keeping on the right track so he can help bring a Lombardi Trophy back to Miami. Watson is happy, Dolphins are happy, the fans of Miami are happy, the Texans are happy, and the fans of Houston are happy.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Has anyone thought that Ross’ offer to pay settlements could easily be taken care of during the renegotiating of Watson’s contract? He’s going to need to offset the cap hit anyways. So pay him a 25-35M dollar signing bonus (or call it payment for settlements) and call it a day. Watson comes to Miami and announces that he’s sorry about his actions and will seek help in keeping on the right track so he can help bring a Lombardi Trophy back to Miami. Watson is happy, Dolphins are happy, the fans of Miami are happy, the Texans are happy, and the fans of Houston are happy.
If the Texans can get what they want.

The importance of the events in discussion is more about tampering. If Ross & Watson agreed to this, when Watson was not given permission to talk to anyone, then that closes the market down to one team (with Watson's NTC).

zshawn10

All Pro
The Dolphins reportedly made the biggest push, but the Texans rebuffed their offer, opting to try again in the offseason. Two months have passed since that trade deadline and most of the teams that were in pursuit of Watson have only shown they need the quarterback even more now, and other teams have had such harsh setbacks that they may try to put together a competitive offer for Watson as well.
If Watson settles the civil lawsuits and puts the assault allegations behind him, as gross as it may be, plenty of NFL teams will want the quarterback in their uniform. The Texans will be trying to pit those potential suitors against each other as they prepare for the NFL Draft, which starts April 29.
Here are the teams that could make a push for Deshaun Watson this offseason ...

Dolphins
Watson wants to go to Miami and the Dolphins have had the most interest in landing the Texans quarterback since the start. After getting another good look at current starter Tua Tagovailoa in his second season, nothing has changed. If anything, the Dolphins likely are even more convinced that they need Watson because Tagovailoa hasn’t shown himself to be a franchise quarterback. The Dolphins had a stretch where they won seven straight games – Tagovailoa only started five of those, and here are the opposing quarterbacks he beat in that stretch: Joe Flacco (Jets), Cam Newton (Panthers), Mike Glennon (Giants), Zach Wilson (Jets) and Ian Book (Saints). In last week’s 34-3 loss to the Titans, which broke the Dolphins’ win streak, Tagovailoa was 18-for-38 for 205 yards with an interception and four sacks. Tagovailoa probably is an NFL starting quarterback, but it looks like he'll never be elite, and the Dolphins are ready to do whatever it takes to land an elite quarterback.
Panthers
When the Panthers were interested in Watson at the trade deadline, they were 4-4. Since then, they’ve gone 1-7, including a current six-game losing streak. After failing to land Watson at the trade deadline, the Panthers signed Cam Newton and he lost five straight games and played poorly (five interceptions with just three touchdowns) before being replaced by Sam Darnold last week. Darnold hasn’t looked any better than he did in his first three seasons with the Jets. In 11 games, Darnold has thrown 12 interceptions with just seven touchdowns. Since David Tepper bought the team in 2018, he’s been determined to find his team a quarterback, overpaying for Teddy Bridgewater, then trading for Darnold. He’s going to want to bring Watson, who played his college ball at Clemson, just 130 miles outside of Charlotte, back to the Carolinas. The Panthers will have a valuable pick to offer in the deal with their first-round pick falling somewhere between Nos. 5 and 9.
Saints
The Saints have been a disaster at quarterback since Drew Brees retired after last season. They’ve had to use four different starters – Jameis Winston, Taysom Hill, Trevor Siemian and Ian Book. Winston was good, but he tore his ACL in Week 8 and is set to become a free agent. None of the other guys are legitimate NFL starters. Even without a reliable quarterback, the Saints have rode their defense to a possible playoff berth – they need to beat the Falcons and have the 49ers lose to the Rams this weekend – but they have to be thinking about what they’re going to do at quarterback next season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Depending on what's offered, if I was Caserio I would trade Derrick to an NFC team and the Panthers are who I would be looking at really strongly.

If true

Say they get pick 1-7 and 2-50

2023 1st/2nd

Chinn and McCaffery (I dont really want McCaffery but you're going to need to do this to make the money match.)

In the 1st rd. Neal and Gardener would look optimal

Then get Salyer and the best Edge you can find in the 2nd (Jermaine Johnson would be my guy.

Then start adding skill position guys in the 3rd /4th rd.

I watched alot of UCLA last night, looking at Rhyan (Dont want) But I really do want Charbonnet at the top of the 3rd. I also liked the TE Dulich alot in the 3rd/4th rd range. He's a big target that can get down the field and has great hands. He is also a solid blocker. With this said I like Kolar more.

The final guy from UCLA that I definitely want Caserio to pick and he should be availablein the 4th/5th rd range is Kyle Phillips. He's basically Edelman.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Watson is in Detroit. Let the rumors explode!

There's a concentration of Lefty's Steakhouse franchises in Michigan..........and specifically Detroit where it all started. Watson is not only a franchisee, but as of 2020 also in partnership with the central company owner. His visit to Detroit is a nothing burger.

1641600172093.png

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
And here we go with the all every breath Watson takes offseason bullshit.

Seriously question, why does anybody think that stories like this one of him being in Detroit for whatever, is news, or needs to be news, or that it moves some kind of needle for people so that it has to be shared?

This world is so fucked it’s unreal.

Texansballer74

The Marine
And here we go with the all every breath Watson takes offseason bullshit.

Seriously question, why does anybody think that stories like this one of him being in Detroit for whatever, is news, or needs to be news, or that it moves some kind of needle for people so that it has to be shared?

This world is so fucked it’s unreal.
One particular member told me we should move on from Watson takes. But Derrick is being mentioned on every thread. Some have said let things play out in court first. But here we go again with these crazy rumors and none of the freaking settlements haven’t been resolved yet.

badboy

Hall of Fame
One particular member told me we should move on from Watson takes. But Derrick is being mentioned on every thread. Some have said let things play out in court first. But here we go again with these crazy rumors and none of the freaking settlements haven’t been resolved yet.
If a member wants to discuss or post something why should they not be allowed to as long as it meets the rules of the message board? I don't have to like or agree with a post but I don't have to respond to it either. The rules of The Message Board is no profanity yet in this thread there was a blatant one. I didn't report it and did not plan on making a comment until now. I do not like the profanity or want to see it used but I'm not going to belittle the person or run to a moderator about it.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
DW4 to the Saints is perfect for both parties.

from our standpoint:

- he’ll be in The NFC & we wouldn’t have to see him very often

- Saints have all their picks to my knowkedge

- Saints have good young players for us to pick up in a trade if it comes to that in trade negotiations.

- Most importantly he will be gone and we can move on.

From his perspective:

- Good HC
-Good defense
- NO is home to debauchery..so in that regard I don’t think the fan base would be too put off by his situation…

- They also need him to stabilize their QB situation & could hit the ground running with a star qb that would make them instant contenders.

The only snag would be all the restructuring they’d have to do to absorb his contract to fit under the cap. At a min they’d have to restructure Latimore, Davenport, Ramzcyk..& probably Kamara just to get under the cap. Jordan is a player that can also be a restructure or a piece for trade where they could offload his contract to someone in exchange for compensation …so is Micheal Thomas although it’s less likely.

Texansballer74

The Marine
If a member wants to discuss or post something why should they not be allowed to as long as it meets the rules of the message board? I don't have to like or agree with a post but I don't have to respond to it either. The rules of The Message Board is no profanity yet in this thread there was a blatant one. I didn't report it and did not plan on making a comment until now. I do not like the profanity or want to see it used but I'm not going to belittle the person or run to a moderator about it.
I don’t have any issues talking about Watson. He’s still a Texans and even when/if he’s traded, his name will continue to be brought up on this board. Just like Kubiak, Schaub and several others. But for some reason when facts are being brought up in relations to Watson play on the field certain members play the card of bringing him up and every thread.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don’t have any issues talking about Watson. He’s still a Texans and even when/if he’s traded, his name will continue to be brought up on this board. Just like Kubiak, Schaub and several others. But for some reason when facts are being brought up in relations to Watson play on the field certain members play the card of bringing him up and every thread.
Well the thread talking about Derrick got moved to a sub thread. So obviously the mods dont want us talking about him in the section, which is fine by me. I'm cant wait until the 1st of March when we should know if the grand jury no bills Derrick. Then we can start the clock on trades before the draft. If the grand jury agrees with the charges brought then all bets are off.

As far as Derrick's personal life and on field play, they mirror each other. Selfish person doing selfish things.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If you want to see bad people in life succeed you should wish for Derrick to go to the Saints.

Texansballer74

The Marine

from our standpoint:

- Saints have good young players for us to pick up in a trade if it comes to that in trade negotiations.

From his perspective:

- Good HC
-Good defense
- NO is home to debauchery..so in that regard I don’t think the fan base would be too put off by his situation…

- They also need him to stabilize their QB situation & could hit the ground running with a star qb that would make them instant contenders.

The only snag would be all the restructuring they’d have to do to absorb his contract to fit under the cap. At a min they’d have to restructure Latimore, Davenport, Ramzcyk..& probably Kamara just to get under the cap. Jordan is a player that can also be a restructure or a piece for trade where they could offload his contract to someone in exchange for compensation …so is Micheal Thomas although it’s less likely.
Would Watson want to go to the Saints? From all the rumors he’s hell bent on going to the Dolphins only.

Texansballer74

The Marine
If you want to see bad people in life succeed you should wish for Derrick to go to the Saints.
Can we move on from the childish crap please sir. His name is Watson. As long as we’re on God’s green earth we will always see bad people succeed. And like I’ve said before dude can rot in prison. These professionals sports always gives these players second and third chances because of their great talent and these bad people will still net them a big time profit.

badboy

Hall of Fame

from our standpoint:

From his perspective:

- Good HC
-Good defense

Needs to be mucho restructure to eliminate the $65 m above the cap plus additional $15 m or so when they restructure Watson's. I do not see the Saints as a significant player in that particular sweepstake.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
FWIW - IMHO, at this juncture as I watch NY Giants QB Jake Fromm, The New York Giants look like a team to be the driver's seat to trade for DW4. NYG have the ammo, they have (2) 1st RD and (2) 3rd RD picks in 2022. They could easily meet the Texans asking price and still have a very good draft.

Texans trade DW4 to NYG. Texans trade OT Laremy Tunsil to NYC for OT Andrew Thomas. (Unload Tunsil's horrible contract for younger 1st RD player with longer friendlier contract) In exchange Texans agree to NYG 2024 1st RD pick instead of 2022 #6 pick.

Giants trade 2022 RD 1 - #5; RD 2 - #37; RD 3 - #70; 2023 - RD 1; 2024 - RD 1

Texans trade #3 pick to Carolina for #7 pick and 2023 1st RD pick. Carolina drafts QB, Matt Corral.

Texans 2022 Draft.

RD 1 -#5 - Derek Stingley, CB, LSU
RD 1 - #7 - George Karlaftis, Edge Purdue
RD 2 - #36 - Jaquan Brisker, S, Penn St
RD 2 - #37 - George Pickens, WR, Georgia
RD 3 - #67 - Devonte Wyatt, DT, Georgia
RD3 - #70 - Damone Clark, LB, LSU
RD 3 - #77 - Tyler Allgeier, RB, BYU

Texans 2023 Draft
RD1 - 2023 Texans
RD 1 - Texans via Carolina
RD 1 - Texans via NYG

Texans 2024 Draft
RD 1 - Texans
RD 1 - Texans via NYG
I love the idea...but Watson is seemingly set on Miami. He was interested in the Jets, but it changed fast. Not sure if he will lift the NT clause or not if the Giants were interested.

However, I am curious why the Texans can't remove it. He 100% has conduct detrimental to the team among other things that should void a lot of his contract. I mean if he went to jail do they have to pay him? I don't know but I don't think so. If anyone has information on what he has to do for the Texans to control any trades please post it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Can we move on from the childish crap please sir. His name is Watson. As long as we’re on God’s green earth we will always see bad people succeed. And like I’ve said before dude can rot in prison. These professionals sports always gives these players second and third chances because of their great talent and these bad people will still net them a big time profit.
I refer to him as Derrick (Which is his name BTW,) because I've been asked to by members that I respect (I respect you to BTW) not to call what he really is in each post. (A POS/Sexual Predator) If you have an issue with this, then you're going to have to live with it. Also if my hoping that bad people aren't put in positions to succeed and me rooting for them to fail is a problem for you, I would say that's more of a YOU problem than a ME problem.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Bad people succeed in life all the time, it's why the history of our species is what it is. Not that we have to like it, it's just reality.
Totally agree,

Doesn't mean I have to want them to succeed though and this is the case for me in all walks of life. Not just sports.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I love the idea...but Watson is seemingly set on Miami. He was interested in the Jets, but it changed fast. Not sure if he will lift the NT clause or not if the Giants were interested.

However, I am curious why the Texans can't remove it. He 100% has conduct detrimental to the team among other things that should void a lot of his contract. I mean if he went to jail do they have to pay him? I don't know but I don't think so. If anyone has information on what he has to do for the Texans to control any trades please post it.
I am not sure why Watson changed his mind about the Jets if they were ever on his radar. In my opinion they would be a prime candidate as they have two high first-round and second-round picks. They have enough draft picks to get DW and laremy tunsil from me. I could see the owner Desiring to snatch a franchise quarterback away from division opponent Miami and also wiggle his ears at the Giants.
1.4 and 1.8 for Watson
2.35 and 38 and 3.69 for Tunsil. I would be good with one of their fours for Cook and the other for Lonnie to average it all out. Jets get franchise QB, pro bowler LT, 1,000 yard rusher that DW likes and a 3INT corner that can play safety. That's a great haul.

Jack Burton

Veteran
I am not sure why Watson changed his mind about the Jets if they were ever on his radar. In my opinion they would be a prime candidate as they have two high first-round and second-round picks. They have enough draft picks to get DW and laremy tunsil from me. I could see the owner Desiring to snatch a franchise quarterback away from division opponent Miami and also wiggle his ears at the Giants.
1.4 and 1.8 for Watson
2.35 and 38 and 3.69 for Tunsil. I would be good with one of their fours for Cook and the other for Lonnie to average it all out. Jets get franchise QB, pro bowler LT, 1,000 yard rusher that DW likes and a 3INT corner that can play safety. That's a great haul.
Would this include the Wilson kid coming back to HOU in the deal with the Jets?

Texian

Hall of Fame

Um, my understanding is DW4 is/was primarily interested in being in New York City to further both his and his girlfriend's brand marketing. That was his #1 choice at the time. Jets were players at the time, the Giants were not. This year the Giants are players, and the Jets are not. With his current legal troubles, not sure about the future of his brand, DW4 may have changed his thinking.

Based on court ruling when Vick went to prison, Falcons did not have to pay his salary, but they were not allowed to recoup any of his signing bonus.

Last edited:

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Um, my understanding is DW4 is/was primarily interested in being in New York City to further both his and his girlfriend's brand marketing. That was his #1 choice at the time. Jets were players at the time, the Giants were not. This year the Giants are players, and the Jets are not. With his current legal troubles not sure about the future of his brand, DW4 may have change his thinking.

Based on court ruling when Vick went to prison, Falcons did not have to pay his salary, but they were not allowed to recoup any of his signing bonus.
But when can we perhaps get rid of the NT clause. Lord knows he violated all of the conduct areas.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm not sure you can. I think the best thing you can do is make him an offer he can't refuse.
^^^^
This

If you want to trade him to get the most value you can, take the cap hit and offer him another 10 mil or so to waive his NTC. He's all about the money (As he should be because of the settlements he's going to have to pay off) so he will most likely get on board as long as he's not traded to a place like Detroit or Cleveland.

Texian

Hall of Fame
FWIW - IMHO, at this juncture as I watch NY Giants QB Jake Fromm, The New York Giants look like a team to be the driver's seat to trade for DW4. NYG have the ammo, they have (2) 1st RD and (2) 3rd RD picks in 2022. They could easily meet the Texans asking price and still have a very good draft.

Texans trade DW4 to NYG. Texans trade OT Laremy Tunsil to NYC for OT Andrew Thomas. (Unload Tunsil's horrible contract for younger 1st RD player with longer friendlier contract) In exchange Texans agree to NYG 2024 1st RD pick instead of 2022 #6 pick.

Giants trade 2022 RD 1 - #5; RD 2 - #37; RD 3 - #70; 2023 - RD 1; 2024 - RD 1

Texans trade #3 pick to Carolina for #7 pick and 2023 1st RD pick. Carolina drafts QB, Matt Corral.

Texans 2022 Draft.

RD 1 -#5 - Derek Stingley, CB, LSU
RD 1 - #7 - George Karlaftis, Edge Purdue
RD 2 - #36 - Jaquan Brisker, S, Penn St
RD 2 - #37 - George Pickens, WR, Georgia
RD 3 - #67 - Devonte Wyatt, DT, Georgia
RD3 - #70 - Damone Clark, LB, LSU
RD 3 - #77 - Tyler Allgeier, RB, BYU

Texans 2023 Draft
RD1 - 2023 Texans
RD 1 - Texans via Carolina
RD 1 - Texans via NYG

Texans 2024 Draft
RD 1 - Texans
RD 1 - Texans via NYG
After further review I had to kill Tunsil for Thomas because Giants have NO CAP SPACE. After looking at Giants 2022 salary cap Dave Gettleman is one of the worst GMs in the NFL. He will be fired after this season simply because the Giants salary cap has been so badly managed. The Giants are in Salary Cap Hell.
Upon further review and for being a slow thinker, the Texans and Giants could include a Tunsil for Andrew Thomas in a mega trade for DW4. All the Texans would have to do is pay most of Tunsil's salary which they could easily do using the $18MM cap savings they get from trading DW4 and not having to pay his salary.

OptimisticTexan

Personally, I could see the Giants tossing their hat into Watson sweepstakes (if he’s good to go before the draft) and if the Texans could live with 1 of their RD1 picks in this years draft. Watson may lift his NTC as well if the Texans leave a little draft meat on the bone for the Giants in 2022. I think the Texans could still net the Giants 1st RD1, RD2, and 1st RD5 in 2022. That RD5 pick would be a toss in for the Texans not demanding both RD1 picks. Texans would still get RD1 picks in 2023 and 2024. They should also expect a RD2 in 2023 and a RD3 in 2024.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Didn’t know that.
From March:
Sure that is protocol but what has been protocol about this situation? This HC and Deshaun have zero relationship and while I get that Derrick Deshaun would rather speak first to Culley but if he truly does not want to return to Texans why not just speak to Caserio. Hey Nick you can now say we've talked. Bye.

If I am NC, I would have insisted only I have ANY contact with Mr. Watson.
I used his full name as when I was in trouble my mother used to use my full name. It was sort of tongue-in-cheek at the time.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Would this include the Wilson kid coming back to HOU in the deal with the Jets?
Not my preference although if it helps me get the pics I want I would accept him as we'd only have to pay his base. More significantly is the Jets would eat 12 million dollars worth of dead money although they could spread it over the last two years. So I don't think he would be part of any deal. I thought he had a lot of ceiling when he came out of college but the Jets did not offer him much to bring him along.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Bad people succeed in life all the time, it's why the history of our species is what it is. Not that we have to like it, it's just reality.
Good people succeed as well. You just don’t hear about as often because bad news sells. We have been conditioned to only hear the bad and accept it.
It's those of us who are neither good nor bad that get ass blasted by everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.