Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cal too.

I can literally imagine Cal telling Watson what a degenerative idiot he is. Probably telling him then & there, that he won’t play another down in a Texans uniform.

& Easterby behind him saying,

tradingplacesyeah.jpg

Remember Cal apologized to Watson.

True, time will tell.

But make no mistake the McNair's wanted to hire Caserio long before Easterby was hired.
Yep, that was on a Bill O'Brien recommendation. Easterby just seconded the O'Brien recommendation so you got that going for you. You gotta feel good about that. Could there be two worse recommendations? Bob Kraft is happy Caserio is now a Texan.

Yep, that was on a Bill O'Brien recommendation. Easterby just seconded the O'Brien recommendation so you got that going for you. You gotta feel good about that. Could there be two worse recommendations? Bob Kraft is happy Caserio is now a Texan.

Care to disclose how you know BOB recommended Caserio to Bob McNair?

You do know Bob McNair and Kraft were friends?

Care to disclose how you know BOB recommended Caserio to Bob McNair?

You do know Bob McNair and Kraft were friends?
Yep it was Kraft who convinced McNair to hire O'Brien. Bill convinced Bob it was time for Rick Smith to go and much like Kubiak wanted Rick Smith it was Bill O'Brien who wanted Nick Caserio. The problem with your Kraft McNair connection is why would Kraft recommend Caserio to McNair as a GM and then twice deny the Texans the chance to hire Nick?

Yep it was Kraft who convinced McNair to hire O'Brien. Bill convinced Bob it was time for Rick Smith to go and much like Kubiak wanted Rick Smith it was Bill O'Brien who wanted Nick Caserio. The problem with your Kraft McNair connection is why would Kraft recommend Caserio to McNair as a GM and then twice deny the Texans the chance to hire Nick?

Kubiak ended up regretting getting RS hired.

Friends talk and I'm sure at the time Kraft told McNair how smart a young up and coming Caserio was. McNair tried to poach Caserio and Kraft said no. Cal then hired Easterby to try and poach Caserio. We all know how that turned out.

Question, do you think if BOB had survived last season that Cal would've hired Caserio and demoted BOB to HC? Or would Cal had made up a VP of operations position? Maybe he wouldn't have hired Caserio at all.

Kubiak ended up regretting getting RS hired.

Friends talk and I'm sure at the time Kraft told McNair how smart a young up and coming Caserio was. McNair tried to poach Caserio and Kraft said no. Cal then hired Easterby to try and poach Caserio. We all know how that turned out.

Question, do you think if BOB had survived last season that Cal would've hired Caserio and demoted BOB to HC? Or would Cal had made up a VP of operations position? Maybe he wouldn't have hired Caserio at all.
My guess is butt chin's ego wouldn't relinquish the GM title. And in the end Kraft ended up throwing Caserio under the bus for the disappointing Patriot drafts of the last 5 years.

As I mentioned before, if I were the Texans I'm not lowering the rounds the picks are in. I would counter for contingency in case he misses time, the picks are just moved to the next year. My emphasis to the trade partner would be that you're getting a franchise QB for potentially 10 years so pony up.

Until they hire a coach/staff he doesn't like and demands another trade. diva ass players. In what world do employees get to pick their bosses?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Kraft was at a crossroads with Caserio. Caserio couldn’t or probably wouldn’t want to remain in the shadows of Belichick. To stay in that roll….my guess, Caserio would’ve been too expensive and Kraft couldn’t promote him to GM while Belichick was still on the payroll.

The blunder the Patriots made….not recognizing the deep desire Bob McNair had in trying to get Caserio. When the Patriots knew the Texans were trying to get NC…..instead of threatening McNair with tampering charges they should’ve offered Caserio up in a trade. I believe McNair would’ve obliged.

Funny thing, the Patriots “didn’t like” the Texans working behind the scenes in trying to steal Caserio away so it makes it very difficult for me to buy into the idea that Kraft and Belichick couldn’t wait to throw Caserio to the curb.

Last edited:
You keep saying that as if you truly believed that Bill Belichek had nothing to say in his own draft room

Repetition does not make opinion fact
Kraft said it, not me. And the data and facts support Kraft's claim of the Patriots abysmal drafts and free agency of Caserio's last 5 years. Belichick did select the dinner but it was Caserio who prepared the buffet menu. You keep pretending as though this never happened. It did! Time to face the truth and believe what you're actually hearing and seeing.

Kraft said it, not me. And the data and facts support Kraft's claim of the Patriots abysmal drafts and free agency of Caserio's last 5 years. Belichick did select the dinner but it was Caserio who prepared the buffet menu. You keep pretending as though this never happened. It did! Time to face the truth and believe what you're actually hearing and seeing.

Wrong again.

Belicheck didn’t listen to his scouts input the last few years. He has said he will do more listening to scouts like Mike Groh.

The draft starts and ends with Belicheck.

To say otherwise is being willfully dishonest. Or just dumb.

Kraft did say the last 5 drafts had been bad. He never put the blame on Caserio, that's just you being obstinate. As TB said, BB already said he didn't listen to the scouts which means he controlled the draft and screwed it up on his own. Deal with it

BB already said he didn't listen to the scouts
Belichick didn't say he should have listened to the scouts. Or that the scouts would have done a better job. All we know is that the Patriots didn't do a great job with the draft the past few years.

Which leads to the possible conclusion that Caserio never had that much influence in the Patriots successes or failures. He is a rookie GM. And every decision he makes as the Texans GM should define him. Not what happened during his 2 decades at Foxboro.

Belichick didn't say he should have listened to the scouts. Or that the scouts would have done a better job. All we know is that the Patriots didn't do a great job with the draft the past few years.

Which leads to the possible conclusion that Caserio never had that much influence in the Patriots successes or failures. He is a rookie GM. And every decision he makes as the Texans GM should define him. Not what happened during his 2 decades at Foxboro.

You aren’t going to hear Belicheck say he should have listened to his scouts. Who would expect him to say as much? But it has been reported he was going rogue. He picked N’Keal Harry over AJ Brown and Debo Samuel. He wouldn’t meet with scouts leading up to the draft in April to get more input. Then there has been scouts leaving feeling frustrated.

From SI article:

One comment from Patriots owner Robert Kraft flew under the radar this week, but really shouldn’t have. Here it is: “In the end, if you want to have a good, consistent, winning football team, you can’t do it in free agency. You have to do it through the draft. I don’t feel we’ve done the greatest job the last few years and I really hope, and I believe, I’ve seen a different approach this year.” That Kraft wants better draft results, when you look at how the Patriots have done of late, isn’t a surprise. But a different approach? What does that mean? Well, in the past, Bill Belichick’s had a very closed-off process and, in his defense, for the most part it’s worked. But it’s also led to personnel people feeling like they were actively cut out where other teams’ people weren’t. In essence, the Patriots’ scouts would do their jobs through the season and then hand off the process to Belichick and the coaches in February, with only a couple guys on the personnel side really consistently involved from that point forward. Where most teams had draft meetings with their scouts in February and April, the Patriots would have theirs with scouts in December and February. And at that early point, it’s tough to set the board, with two and a half months of information still to come. So from there on, the scouts would just be gatherers, which frustrated plenty of them, and played into the exodus in the scouting department the last few years. It also, as some saw it, led to misses like N’Keal Harry in 2019. Harry killed his 30 visit that spring and had a college coach, Todd Graham, who was close to Belichick. In that end, without more input from scouts who preferred Deebo Samuel and A.J. Brown, the coach wound up leaning on his own experience with Harry, rather than the red flags his scouts planted, and lost a golden opportunity to fill a hole on his roster. And that brings us back to what Kraft said: The Patriots have employed a “different approach” this year. My sense right now is that has translated inside the building in a more collaborative Belichick, who’s listening not just to his top guys, Dave Ziegler and Eliot Wolf, but also those rising through the organization, like national scout Matt Groh. Now, I don’t know if it’ll change the Patriots’ luck on draft day. Or if Belichick will pull back on it when we get there. But for now, it feels like a good positive step for them.

Kraft did say the last 5 drafts had been bad. He never put the blame on Caserio, that's just you being obstinate. As TB said, BB already said he didn't listen to the scouts which means he controlled the draft and screwed it up on his own. Deal with it

We do this almost every month…

See you next month when we say the same thing and I post the same articles.

Reactions: JB
We do this almost every month…

See you next month when we say the same thing and I post the same articles.
But none of that explicitly said he cut Caserio out of the loop. We don't know.

We do know that Caserio's 1st draft looked distinctively different than Patriot drafts of the past. The Patriots like to trade back, and hoard picks for future years. Caserio's Texans draft went the opposite way. It's one draft, hardly a set of data points. Still, very different.

I dunno I'm confused: why do you think Bob Kraft would keep a man on his payroll for 20 years who he didn't think knew what the hell he was doing ?

But none of that explicitly said he cut Caserio out of the loop. We don't know.

We do know that Caserio's 1st draft looked distinctively different than Patriot drafts of the past. The Patriots like to trade back, and hoard picks for future years. Caserio's Texans draft went the opposite way. It's one draft, hardly a set of data points. Still, very different.

It says he made solo decisions that led to misses in the draft.

Or Caserio could be the Easterby/McNair biggest FUBAR of all.

If Caserio ends up being a serviceable GM, it'll be the proverbial nut being found by the blind squirrel. But, it still doesn't give the squirrel the ability to see.

And it will never, ever qualify Easterby to be an Excecutive Vice President of Football Operations for an NFL franchise.

The inevitable is inevitable. It just takes time to reveal itself. Meanwhile. . . :popcorn:

True, time will tell.

But make no mistake the McNair's wanted to hire Caserio long before Easterby was hired.

Bob McNair knew how to run a marketing company and make lots of money. What he clearly did not know was how to run a football team, so he emulated the franchises that he believed did know how to do it. The last team he was emulating before his death was the Patriots, and Caserio was just a part of that perception.

So Cal, clearly never a man to think for himself, just did what daddy was going to do and lied, cheated, and attempted to steal to make it happen. He got caught because his attempt was so bush league, but the lying preacher man surely gave him some moral reflections to gloss it over and eventually waited out Caserio's contract.

McNair could have hired ANYONE in the NFL for what he paid Caserio, so it was a no-brainer decision on Nick's part. He's rich and still has multiple SB rings in his vault. I don't blame Nick for any of it. That offer was too good to refuse.

If Caserio ends up being a serviceable GM, it'll be the proverbial nut being found by the blind squirrel. But, it still doesn't give the squirrel the ability to see.

And it will never, ever qualify Easterby to be an Excecutive Vice President of Football Operations for an NFL franchise.

The inevitable is inevitable. It just takes time to reveal itself. Meanwhile. . . :popcorn:

Bob McNair knew how to run a marketing company and make lots of money. What he clearly did not know was how to run a football team, so he emulated the franchises that he believed did know how to do it. The last team he was emulating before his death was the Patriots, and Caserio was just a part of that perception.

So Cal, clearly never a man to think for himself, just did what daddy was going to do and lied, cheated, and attempted to steal to make it happen. He got caught because his attempt was so bush league, but the lying preacher man surely gave him some moral reflections to gloss it over and eventually waited out Caserio's contract.

McNair could have hired ANYONE in the NFL for what he paid Caserio, so it was a no-brainer decision on Nick's part. He's rich and still has multiple SB rings in his vault. I don't blame Nick for any of it. That offer was too good to refuse.
Exactly. With the contract Cal gave to Caserio, he didn't need to hire Easterby to lure Caserio or keep Easterby around to hire Caserio.

Cal too.

I can literally imagine Cal telling Watson what a degenerative idiot he is. Probably telling him then & there, that he won’t play another down in a Texans uniform.

& Easterby behind him saying,

tradingplacesyeah.jpg

TBH, with all of Cal’s supposed short comings, even if he was playing video games while he said this, I would hope the owner of NFL would do say something to that effect rather than try to help him find ways to pay off his accusers so he can keep playing for the team.

Texans worthy starts at the top. I'm sure Cal, Janice, & Bob (rip) saw that with the same eye.
The top two then and I still think Cal does what he is told to by dad predeceased and mom now. I think my opinion of Cal is supported by him hiring Easterby to support (and think for him).

The top two then and I still think Cal does what he is told to by dad predeceased and mom now. I think my opinion of Cal is supported by him hiring Easterby to support (and think for him).
Mama McNair sees Jack Easterby as her divine guidance. Cal does what Mama says and Caserio is not going to do anything to jeopardize his $6 million a year gift horse. So the Houston Texans chain of command is basically Jack Easterby ---> Janice McNair---->Cal McNair------> Nick Caserio. And that is how you end up with David Culley as your head coach.

Mama McNair sees Jack Easterby as her divine guidance. Cal does what Mama says and Caserio is not going to do anything to jeopardize his $6 million a year gift horse. So the Houston Texans chain of command is basically Jack Easterby ---> Janice McNair---->Cal McNair------> Nick Caserio. And that is how you end up with David Culley as your head coach.

Devine guidance?

LMAO

I love the Marcellus point of view on this. "If he is healthy name him your starter, and it he refuses to play you don't pay him his 10 million base salary." It's crazy cause I never looked at it that way, we could name him the starter for every game over the next 5 years..... xxxx his career!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is BS. Since NC got here, the real football stuff has been his. Easterby runs the cafeteria and weight room type stuff. He ain't doing personnel, coaches, or salary cap anymore. Does he have sway and whispers in the McNairs ear, yes, but the on field product is NC's baby. I know you dislike him too, and blame him for every recent bad trade or salary cap move, so I would be thinking you would be blaming Easterby if your power structure statement was right

This is BS. Since NC got here, the real football stuff has been his. Easterby runs the cafeteria and weight room type stuff. He ain't doing personnel, coaches, or salary cap anymore. Does he have sway and whispers in the McNairs ear, yes, but the on field product is NC's baby. I know you dislike him too, and blame him for every recent bad trade or salary cap move, so I would be thinking you would be blaming Easterby if your power structure statement was right
The day Nick Caserio falls out of favor with Jack Easterby he's a goner. Much like Bill O'Brien, Brian Gaine and Chris Olson. As the McNairs and Nick Caserio have told you, Jack Easterby is not going anywhere.

Last edited:
The day Nick Caserio falls out of favor with Jack Easterby he's a goner. Much like Brian Gaine and Chris Olson. As the McNairs and Nick Caserio have told you, Jack Easterby is not going anywhere.
If I was NC, I wouldn't care. He has and will have the $$$ per the contract Cal gave him and if he screws up people will say it was the Texans' dysfunctional organization that caused him to fail.

The day Nick Caserio falls out of favor with Jack Easterby he's a goner. Much like Brian Gaine and Chris Olson. As the McNairs and Nick Caserio have told you, Jack Easterby is not going anywhere.

It's a good thing they're close friends.

NC has already succinctly denied that Easterby has anything to do with the football decisions when asked yet again by the media. If NC falls out of favor for football reasons that is on his back. If he falls out of favor with Easterby while doing a good job, that is on Easterby’s back.

I love the Marcellus point of view on this. "If he is healthy name him your starter, and it he refuses to play you don't pay him his 10 million base salary." It's crazy cause I never looked at it that way, we could name him the starter for every game over the next 5 years..... **** his career!
I understand that viewpoint. But, he's not taking into consideration the idea that the Texans ownership does not want Watson to represent the organization on the field. That's really the issue here.

I understand that viewpoint. But, he's not taking into consideration the idea that the Texans ownership does not want Watson to represent the organization on the field. That's really the issue here.
They will get a lot of backlash if they were to trout Watson out there. Yeah a lot of people are saying they should start him. But in the grand scheme of things, it would not be a good move for the Texans nor the NFL.

Still no word on compensation for Roby? It's been 5 or 6 hours now?

Think they’re talking about including Watson in the deal as a throw in? (Looks at thread title)

Caserios standard currency is a 6. I'll be upset if it's later than a 4.

New Orleans has been through enough lately. It wouldn't be fair to give them Watson.

And my bad, thought I was in the random thread...

They will get a lot of backlash if they were to trout Watson out there. Yeah a lot of people are saying they should start him. But in the grand scheme of things, it would not be a good move for the Texans nor the NFL.

I don’t think it would have gotten to Watson trotting out on the field to represent the franchise. Dude has been pretty steadfast in not wanting to play for the Texans.

I think had they started camp and Watson showing up to avoid fines, the Texans should have treated things like Watson was starting, getting him working the team drills with the ones, telling him to suit up for preseason, etc, that Watson would have stopped showing up or faked an injury.

It’s their money though, so if they want to pay him $10M to do nothing and waste a roster spot, on top of the $27M signing bonus they gave him to be their franchise QB, then so be it. I don’t give my money to them anymore.

I just know he wanted out before all the extracurricular stuff became known, and to me that was a **** you to the fans who’ve been waiting a long time for that top tier QB that we thought we finally had. So for that alone, I hope his NFL career is shit.

All I care about with regards to him now is that we get back adequate compensation for him, if he hasn’t fucked that up by getting himself indicted and/or found guilty.

Kraft did say that in 2021 they had changed the way they were doing things and so far were pleased with the results. Nick Caserio as the Patriots Director of Player Personnel was instrumental in the old way of doing things. You are spot on with your assessment of Patriots method of operation of being patient, trading back, adding picks, very little in restructuring contacts and not being irresponsible with player contracts. This MO was pretty nonexistent in the Patriots way of doing things their last five years.

Since Caserio arrived in Houston he has been a complete 180 of the old Patriots MO, trading up and over paying, taking more drafts picks and making less draft picks, trading away draft capital instead of growing draft capital. Irresponsibly restructuring contracts for no logical reasonable explanation. It's as though he has approached everything bassackwards.

Last edited:
Kraft did say that in 2021 they had changed the way they were doing things and so far were pleased with the results. Nick Caserio as the Patriots Director of Player Personnel was instrumental in the old way of doing things. You are spot on with your assessment of Patriots method of operation of being patient, trading back, adding picks, very little in restructuring contacts and not being irresponsible with player contracts. This MO was pretty nonexistent in the Patriots way of doing things their last five years.

Since Caserio arrived in Houston he has been a complete 180 of the old Patriots MO, trading up and over paying, taking more drafts picks and making less draft picks, trading away draft capital instead of growing draft capital. Irresponsibly restructuring contracts for no logical reasonable explanation. It's as though he has approached everything bassackwards.

He just got picks for Roby and he hasn't made a trade yet (a bunch of pick swaps) that will hurt this franchise 5 yrs from now. He's also set the Texans up well cap wise in the future after signing a bunch of guys to 1-2 yr deals.

The Texans website undermines your chosen narrative:

"In his role, Easterby manages all football operations and directs the overall culture of the organization." ~ houstontexans.com

This franchise has ALWAYS operated its front office like a corporate boardroom. This is not conjecture but straight from the mouths of the McNair family. It is the corporate culture that Bob McNair felt comfortable running his billion dollar companies within, and it is simple naive to believe the Executive Vice President of Football Operations does not have a seat at that boardroom table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back