Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep and never talk about the cancer that is JE. Gave Whitney money when he was on the sorry pill, gave Cunningham more money than all pro position lb, orchestrated the Hopkins for David Johnson trade, and helped get a guy coaching sandlot, 3 interviews with the team.

People want Easterby gone. Though they stopped talking about it because they can’t do anything about it. Easier to talk about Watson because he was already gone.

It's in his contract according to Pancakes. When BOB was coach, he had the authority to fire JE. Soon as BOB took the L, JE made sure he kept his power

Well first Pancakes hasn’t had insider info on the Texans or anything they do for years. The Watson trade proved that. Second when did he even say that? Third that again makes no sense as to why would OB have the power as a coach to fire a front office guy?

I don’t understand why OB as GM would have the power but not a new GM. GM is a GM.

He said OB had the power as a coach which I guess means he lost the power when he became GM? While I'll be the first to admit that the Texans did things those couple of years were far from normal the wildly different theories that the media talking heads have thrown out there in a desperate attempt to break a story. Its why I don't buy into a lot of this Easterby is the boogeyman talk because they have proven time and time again that they don't actually know anything. I mean Hell they were as shocked as everyone else about Watson going to Cleveland with one guy betting his twitter account on Falcons.

OT

But I get tired of 610 advertising "insider" information. They have former players, with experience. But none of them ever says anything that qualifies as insider information that is ever proven to be more than speculation.

People listening to the radio, reading articles, tweets or anything else seem to miss key phrases:

I think
I assume
One would have to think
Connect the the dots
My sources are saying
People are telling me
If this could happen then

And the list goes on

People listening to the radio, reading articles, tweets or anything else seem to miss key phrases:

I think
I assume
One would have to think
Connect the the dots
My sources are saying
People are telling me
If this could happen then

And the list goes on

You forgot the classic misdirection. Someone saying something when the opposite is true.

Or the fact controversy sells. Whether it is true or not.

Its why I don't buy into a lot of this Easterby is the boogeyman talk because they have proven time and time again that they don't actually know anything.

Remember when the last story was this was all orchestrated by McNair and Buzbee because they lived in the neighborhood or street?

Yea - cool story.

NFLPA president credits Browns for Deshaun Watson contract, hopes it is a 'turning point' for guaranteed deals
Watson reportedly got $230M guaranteed despite a litany of legal issues
https://www.cbssports.com/writers/cody-benjamin/
By Cody Benjamin
1 hr ago•2 min read

A number of NFL team owners and executives were taken aback by the Browns' record investment in embattled quarterback Deshaun Watson this offseason -- some of them fearing a future inability to extend their own elite signal-callers. NFL Players Association president JC Tretter, however, is celebrating Watson's reportedly fully guaranteed five-year, $230 million deal as a potential "turning point" in NFL contract negotiations. In an open letter Tuesday, Tretter argued that Cleveland's polarizing move could -- and should -- set a new standard for players receiving guaranteed deals.

"We had an opportunity a few years ago when Kirk Cousins and his agent Mike McCartney wisely used the leverage of the franchise tag and free agency to earn a fully guaranteed contract from the Vikings," Tretter wrote. "They worked closely with our union to make it happen. The talk in our locker rooms was a hope that other top free agents -- especially QBs who were negotiating immediately after Cousins -- would demand the same.

"That did not happen," Tretter continued. "But we may have hit a turning point with the Cleveland Browns and Deshaun Watson. For years, clubs have told agents that a main reason for not guaranteeing contracts was the 'funding rule' -- an archaic league rule that says teams must put into escrow an amount of money equal to what they are guaranteeing a player in any contract beyond the first year. Thanks to (Browns owner) Jimmy Haslem and (general manager) Andrew Berry ... for doing what other NFL owners and executives have mostly been unwilling to do ... we once again have proof that the funding rule is an artificial barrier to guaranteed money, and credit to David Mulugheta, Watson's agent, for working with our union to push past it."

Tretter, who was reelected as union president in March, believes it's now time for agents, players and the NFLPA to "seize an opportunity and set a true standard for future players" receiving fully guaranteed contracts.
THE REST OF THE STORY

That "archaic league rule" was established to maintain a semblance of parity. It has, until an insane owner decided that all that is important is his own greed-driven wants.

He said OB had the power as a coach which I guess means he lost the power when he became GM? While I'll be the first to admit that the Texans did things those couple of years were far from normal the wildly different theories that the media talking heads have thrown out there in a desperate attempt to break a story. Its why I don't buy into a lot of this Easterby is the boogeyman talk because they have proven time and time again that they don't actually know anything. I mean Hell they were as shocked as everyone else about Watson going to Cleveland with one guy betting his twitter account on Falcons.
That lasted all of a couple of days...........

Last edited:
NFLPA president credits Browns for Deshaun Watson contract, hopes it is a 'turning point' for guaranteed deals
Watson reportedly got $230M guaranteed despite a litany of legal issues
https://www.cbssports.com/writers/cody-benjamin/
By Cody Benjamin
1 hr ago•2 min read

A number of NFL team owners and executives were taken aback by the Browns' record investment in embattled quarterback Deshaun Watson this offseason -- some of them fearing a future inability to extend their own elite signal-callers. NFL Players Association president JC Tretter, however, is celebrating Watson's reportedly fully guaranteed five-year, $230 million deal as a potential "turning point" in NFL contract negotiations. In an open letter Tuesday, Tretter argued that Cleveland's polarizing move could -- and should -- set a new standard for players receiving guaranteed deals.

"We had an opportunity a few years ago when Kirk Cousins and his agent Mike McCartney wisely used the leverage of the franchise tag and free agency to earn a fully guaranteed contract from the Vikings," Tretter wrote. "They worked closely with our union to make it happen. The talk in our locker rooms was a hope that other top free agents -- especially QBs who were negotiating immediately after Cousins -- would demand the same.

"That did not happen," Tretter continued. "But we may have hit a turning point with the Cleveland Browns and Deshaun Watson. For years, clubs have told agents that a main reason for not guaranteeing contracts was the 'funding rule' -- an archaic league rule that says teams must put into escrow an amount of money equal to what they are guaranteeing a player in any contract beyond the first year. Thanks to (Browns owner) Jimmy Haslem and (general manager) Andrew Berry ... for doing what other NFL owners and executives have mostly been unwilling to do ... we once again have proof that the funding rule is an artificial barrier to guaranteed money, and credit to David Mulugheta, Watson's agent, for working with our union to push past it."

Tretter, who was reelected as union president in March, believes it's now time for agents, players and the NFLPA to "seize an opportunity and set a true standard for future players" receiving fully guaranteed contracts.
THE REST OF THE STORY

That "archaic league rule" was established to maintain a semblance of parity. It has, until an insane owner decided that all that is important is his own greed-driven wants.

Reactions: JB
Well first Pancakes hasn’t had insider info on the Texans or anything they do for years. The Watson trade proved that. Second when did he even say that? Third that again makes no sense as to why would OB have the power as a coach to fire a front office guy?
Doesn't have to be insider info as in trade speculation, this was said point blank, matter of factly. Just like JE tried to get McClain to write an article about Jerrod Mayo and he refused. He got Brian Smith or one of those other guys to write it. He wasn't a front office guy when he got here unless you consider character coach front office.

Doesn't have to be insider info as in trade speculation, this was said point blank, matter of factly. Just like JE tried to get McClain to write an article about Jerrod Mayo and he refused. He got Brian Smith or one of those other guys to write it. He wasn't a front office guy when he got here unless you consider character coach front office.

Again you say he said that but offer no proof.

Yep and never talk about the cancer that is JE. Gave Whitney money when he was on the sorry pill, gave Cunningham more money than all pro position lb, orchestrated the Hopkins for David Johnson trade, and helped get a guy coaching sandlot, 3 interviews with the team.

Good thing Easterby isn't in charge of these things anymore.

Again you say he said that but offer no proof.
Pancakes has backed up the story more than a few times on 610 about JE trying to get a fluff piece written about Mayo. When Pancakes starts by saying I think, then its his opinion,but when he states I know, thats a different animal

If he was McCown would be the HC.
USATSI13601652168388416lowres-1-63977795-3751-423b-84c0-608b950b1a32.jpg

Pancakes has backed up the story more than a few times on 610 about JE trying to get a fluff piece written about Mayo. When Pancakes starts by saying I think, then its his opinion,but when he states I know, thats a different animal

So you have no proof and can’t link to him saying it. You could have just said that.

Hit the rewind on the app. You were all over the Mulagetta thread without anything nor do I see question the validity of it either

First I was not "all over the Mulagetta thread" in fact I said I can't say whether its true or not because its depended on how much a person believes CnD. My personal opinion is I think there is some truth to it, though I think it was more a business move to set unrealistic demands and force a trade rather than a racial move.

That, however, is not the point. The point is I'm just holding you to your own standard of verifying things said. You were "all over the Mulagetta thread" demanding proof and for people not to just take a posters word for it yet here you are asking people to just take your word for what was said. In fact you did that in that thread to by saying you had personally talked to somebody that told you the Flores thing wasn't true. Even if Pancakes did say that all we have to go on is his word and there is fair evidence he has a grudge against the Texans ever since he got shut out. So why not demand proof of what he is saying?

If you are going to demand proof of things that are said to be facts then you should meet your own standard. Your requirement for proof seems to be in direct relation to how much what is being said parallels your own beliefs. Again thats fine but don't get mad when you get call out on the hypocrisy of it.

Mayfield: Browns 'disrespected,' deceived him about future
  • TOM WITHERS
Wed, 13 April 2022, 12:32 pm·3-min read

CLEVELAND (AP) — Baker Mayfield feels the Cleveland Browns deceived him about their offseason plans, which resulted in them trading for Deshaun Watson.

Speaking on a podcast, Mayfield, whose tumultuous four-year run as Cleveland's quarterback essentially ended when the team acquired Watson in a stunning deal last month with the Houston Texans, said the team was not upfront with him.

“I feel disrespected 100 percent because I was told one thing and they completely did another,” Mayfield said in an appearance on the "Ya Never Know” podcast, which was taped last week.

Mayfield struggled while playing most of last season with a torn labrum in his left, non-throwing shoulder, which he injured in Week 2. Cleveland fell way short of expectations, finished 8-9 and missed the playoffs after ending a long postseason drought the previous season.

He underwent surgery right after the season and Browns general manager Andrew Berry publicly indicated the team was planning to bring Mayfield back as the starter while privately investigating whether to add Watson, accused by two dozen massage therapists in Texas of sexual assault and harassment.

When Mayfield learned of the Browns' interest, he demanded a trade. Watson, who initially turned down Cleveland, then changed his mind, waived his no-trade clause and signed a record-setting $230 million fully guaranteed contract.

While still upset over the way it was handled, Mayfield, the No. 1 overall pick in 2018, said he's at peace with his time with the Browns.

“I really, truly honesty have no regrets of my time in Cleveland of what I tried to give that place," he said. "True Clevelanders and true Browns fans know that, and that’s why I can walk away from the whole situation feeling like I did it.”

Mayfield remains on Cleveland's roster as the team tries to work out a trade. The tricky part for the Browns is that he's due to make $18.8 million, and there aren't many teams willing to take on that salary.

Mayfield reflected on his time with the Browns during the 90-minute interview, his first since the Watson deal was completed.
He feels liberated being out of Cleveland.

“I got my taste of it because I’ve had four different head coaches in four years, a bunch of different coordinators. I’ve had the highs and they always come back," he said. "I had great times my rookie year. I didn’t start in the beginning. I came in and had fun in the back half of the year. 2019 sucked. 2020 was great, made the playoffs.

"2021 was miserable. I’m just looking for stabilization right now. I know what I need to do to be the best version of me and be able to lead an organization. I’m in a good place right now. I have no clue where I’m going.”

Last edited:
And owners still aren’t happy about the deal....
They weren't happy when Jerry got the Pepsi deal. They weren't happy when Al Davis was paying a premium for players who wasn't viewed as premium players. The nflpa wasn't happy when Brady was taking paycuts instead of raising the bar. There are 32 corporations inside a corporation with protections not normally viable for other corporations. They weren't happy when Kirk Cousins got a totally guaranteed deal either, but it didn't stop any of them from giving out other contracts. You as an owner,a billionaire,can't worry about what the other owners think. Revenue your team and stay out of other owner pockets.

They weren't happy when Jerry got the Pepsi deal. They weren't happy when Al Davis was paying a premium for players who wasn't viewed as premium players. The nflpa wasn't happy when Brady was taking paycuts instead of raising the bar. There are 32 corporations inside a corporation with protections not normally viable for other corporations. They weren't happy when Kirk Cousins got a totally guaranteed deal either, but it didn't stop any of them from giving out other contracts. You as an owner,a billionaire,can't worry about what the other owners think. Revenue your team and stay out of other owner pockets.
Or just don’t give the most guaranteed money to someone who doesn’t deserve it.

Or just don’t give the most guaranteed money to someone who doesn’t deserve it.
So you think Tom Cruise is worth 25m per movie or Howard Stern 100m for talking on the radio? You're worth what the market says you're worth and deserve. The Kardashians are worth 100s of millions. Can you tell me what they do? Kanye sells these ugly as space shoes for hundreds of dollars and they sell out aa soon as they're released. Sports is no different except its far more dangerous than sex tapes and shoe sales. If nobody thought he was worth that or didn't deserve it, he wouldn't have been offered it.

Kizer's accuracy on this subject is only shadowed by his accuracy on the field.

***************************************************************************************

April 13, 2022 @ 8:20pm » Matt Audilet

Ex-Browns Quarterback Has Controversial Deshaun Watson Take

Ex-Cleveland QB1 DeShone Kizer has weighed in on the NFL’s GOAT debate with a controversial take.

While the former second-round draft pick acknowledges that Tom Brady’s Super Bowl ring count is almost impossible to surpass, he believes the Browns’ new starting quarterback has a chance to make strides in the GOAT conversation with an NFL title this year.
Kizer has Deshaun Watson making a “compelling argument” if Cleveland wins this year’s Super Bowl.

“Unfortunately TB12’s rings ruin all football GOAT discussions, but if there was ever anyone who could create a compelling argument against him it’s DW after he wins a Super Bowl w/ the Browns. Dont @ me,” Kizer wrote.

This head-scratching take from Kizer doesn’t make a lot of sense.

While Watson put up some solid numbers during his three Pro-Bowl seasons with the Houston Texans, his resume doesn’t even remotely put him in the GOAT conversation. The former No. 12 overall pick has a 1-3 postseason record — notching his only playoff win in a narrow three-point win over the Buffalo Bills in 2019.

Watson also missed the entirety of the 2021 season as he dealt with more than 20 allegations of sexual assault and misconduct.
While bringing the Cleveland franchise its first Super Bowl victory in a bounce-back year would no doubt be impressive, Watson still has quite a bit of work left before he can be included in any GOAT conversations.

Browns sign another quarterback to go along with Watson, Mayfield and Brissett
Jared Mueller
Fri, April 8, 2022, 6:30 PM·1

In an interesting move late on Friday afternoon, the Cleveland Browns are adding another quarterback to their roster. With Deshaun Watson acquired in a trade, Baker Mayfield still on the roster and Jacoby Brissett signed in free agency, it was thought the team would wait until they moved Mayfield to bring in another quarterback.

Mayfield’s market may not be what the team expected which could lead to a delay in a trade. With the team’s offseason program opening in a week and a half, adding another quarterback helps ease Watson back into action. Even if Mayfield shows up, his recovery from shoulder surgery was expected to limit him.

In comes Joshua Dobbs, according to his agent:

The 6’3″ Dobbs was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the fourth round of the 2017 NFL draft. He has played in just six games where he attempted just 17 passes.

The Steelers traded Dobbs to the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2019 in exchange for a fifth-round pick then claimed him back a year later.

With Watson coming back from a year off of competition and Mayfield unlikely to be able to participate, if he attends, Brissett and Dobbs may get a majority of the throws on April 19th.

A versatile player at Tennesee in college, Dobbs rushed the ball 438 times for over 2,100 yards and 32 touchdowns in his four years in Knoxville.

With Watson, Brissett and, now, Dobbs, the Browns have three mobile quarterbacks set to run the show in 2022 once Mayfield’s future is resolved.

From post of April 8, 2022:
Whether traded or released, Mayfield is unlikely to ever see another snap with the Browns and jeopardizing a potential trade. His surgery was on his non-throwing shoulder, but it is enough to try to protect him from being thrown down on that rehabbing shoulder. His injury was reported as a labrum tear, but in fact he also sustained an upper arm bone (humerus) fracture. For many reasons one of which I posted in another thread, I would be surprised if Mayfield is a Brown by the time TC rolls around.

******************************************************************************************

The extent of his shoulder injury is finally publicly revealed today.

******************************************************************************************
Baker Mayfield opens up about extent of shoulder injury
April 14, 2022, 9:48 AM EDT

For teams assessing whether to pursue quarterback Baker Mayfield, the challenge becomes understanding the differences between two good seasons (2018 and 2020) and two bad ones (2019 and 2021). It’s a little easier to understand why things went poorly for Mayfield in 2021.

His left shoulder was messed up, badly.

Yes, it was his own fault for trying to make a tackle after throwing a Week Two interception against the Texans. It happened in the first half of a September game. Definitely not the occasion to throw caution to the wind by hurling his body into the fray. The shoulder injury plagued him for the rest of the year, and it clearly affected his performance.

Consider this quote from his recent appearance on the Ya Neva Know podcast: “So I tore my labrum completely, like full front and like basically 90 percent in the back. That was Week Two. I did that in the first half. Played the rest of the game, I was fine. . . . Four weeks later, we were playing the Cardinals, and I dislocated my shoulder again. But I dislocated it so bad and at a different angle that the bone, like the humerus that goes up into your shoulder socket, like the big bone right here [that] comes up into your ball and socket and it forced its way out. And I fractured the bone because it wasn’t gonna be a clean exit. So I fractured the bone. So when I had the labrum done and that fracture, the inflammation and everything, I had no function in my left shoulder. And we were going into a Thursday game that week. Monday, I couldn’t lift my arm. When I couldn’t raise my arm, I was like, ‘I can’t do this.'”

To his credit, Mayfield spent much of the 2021 season downplaying the injury. Indeed, even when he knew he wouldn’t be able to play in a Thursday night game against the Broncos, he kept speaking as if he could and would.

On the same Monday that he decided he “can’t do this,” he said that the arm “feels like ****” but that he believes he’ll be able to play through it. The next day, he said he expects to play in the Thursday night game. His quotes created the clear impression that he believed he could play with the injury — and that he regarded it as his call and his call alone.

I have to make that decision,” Mayfield said at the time. “Only I know how my body feels. If anyone questions whether I am hindering the team and going out there injured, that is just not right. It is my decision. I get to say whether I am able to play or not, and that is just how it is.”

We now know that, before he said that, he already had decided, “I can’t do this.” The only way to reconcile his past words with his present words is that, in the moment, players like Mayfield are wired to play. It’s an admirable trait.

And he played as much as he could. That quality — the determination and the toughness and the refusal to make excuses — needs to be weighed by any team that is wondering whether it wants to roll the dice with Mayfield. While there clearly are some drawbacks (otherwise, Cleveland wouldn’t have decided to move on from him), there definitely are some positives.

Last edited:
So you think Tom Cruise is worth 25m per movie or Howard Stern 100m for talking on the radio?

Do those guys play in taxpayer-financed stadiums?

Never forget that NFL riches are built on the on-going public extortion grift of "socialize cost and privatize profit".

Owners would pay of the construction of their own stadiums if the public stopped the scam. The result would be the salaries of both owners and players would be significantly less.

Do those guys play in taxpayer-financed stadiums?

Never forget that NFL riches are built on the on-going public extortion grift of "socialize cost and privatize profit".

Owners would pay of the construction of their own stadiums if the public stopped the scam. The result would be the salaries of both owners and players would be significantly less.
TV money is financing those salaries and making the rich get richer. When AMC is part of these strip center developments, we don't know paying for that. You won't get any argument out of me, but there are 32 of these things vs thousands of AMC's. Some of the movies have huge,ridiculous budgets also. If nobody showed to wantch the big name actors, then they wouldn't command the money they do. No different than sports.

Geno was there last year. One thing about Carroll, it will be an open competition. I think Seahawks are still in play.
Whatever team gets Mayfield (including Seattle, if you want to propose that it can still happen), since he is guaranteed $18+ million, that team can restructure his contract just like the Browns restructured Watson. They would likely give him minimum salary (~$1 million) this season...........and stick the Browns with the rest of $17+ million owed him............making it up to Mayfield in bonuses and salary in future years. Karma is a hell of a thing..........

Reactions: JB
Whatever team gets Mayfield (including Seattle, if you want to propose that it can still happen), since he is guaranteed $18+ million, that team can restructure his contract just like the Browns restructured Watson. They would likely give him minimum salary (~$1 million) this season...........and stick the Browns with the rest of $17+ million owed him............making it up to Mayfield in bonuses and salary in future years. Karma is a hell of a thing..........

I just want the Brown’s to have to release Mayfield and eat that dead money.

Mayfield only have this year, correct? They might just have to do that for this year or they will have to take a late rd pick for him if a team missses out on a qb. I don't think ATL is out of the qb market because they signed Marriotta. Neither is Seattle because they resigned Geno. I guess we will see. Honestly, Mayfield can do what Cousins can do in that system. Not sure why they re-upped Cousins, but hey,thats them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back