Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as coalminers, operators,iron workers, etc chose their line of work also correct? They too know the dangers of coal mining or underwater welding or scafflodbuilding, they chose it with the pay.
Lol, you just won’t let it go. Says you are trying to save face but you just keep making it worse for yourself. 🤣 BTW miners, like so many others, don’t CHOOSE their line of work. For most it’s that or starve. nor Can those coal miners etc. pull ******** politics to increase their wages like DW just did.

Lol, you just won’t let it go. Says you are trying to save face but you just keep making it worse for yourself. 🤣 BTW miners, like so many others, don’t CHOOSE their line of work. For most it’s that or starve. nor Can those coal miners etc. pull ******** politics to increase their wages like DW just did.
Coalminers choose to mine coal just as much as football players choose to play football. You can work other places besides coal mining. Its like saying drug dealers don't have a choice. Its either slang or work at McDonalds. You do have options. All my friends who work in refineries, chose to work in them just as I did. I chose too because them money was awesome, but after a few years, I decided to start my own business. It doesn't go one way.

Haslams admit they didn’t know what they were doing when they bought the Browns
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 3, 2022, 6:27 AM EDT

Before Jimmy and Dee Haslam bought the Browns, they were minority owners of the Steelers. At the time, that was sold as a positive: Their previous involvement with a winning franchise should give them a good idea of how to rebuild the Browns. But it hasn’t worked out that way.

Now the Haslams are admitting that their experience with the Steelers didn’t teach them much of anything, and that they didn’t know what they were doing when they bought the Browns a decade ago.

“No, no. You don’t know anything,” Dee Haslam said, via Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal.

Jimmy Haslam offered a similar acknowledgement.

“We did a lousy job at first,” Jimmy Haslam said. “I mean, let’s just face it. It’s probably fair to say we didn’t know what we were doing. In some ways, I go, ’10 years, we haven’t won very many games.’ So I look at it that way.”

In Deshaun Watson, the Browns now have by far their best quarterback since the Haslams bought the team. But the off-field allegations that Watson sexually abused female massage therapists cast a pall over the Browns’ decision to trade for him, and has led to more questions about whether they really understand what it takes to earn the trust of Browns fans.

Even after a decade, the Haslams still have work to do to prove they know what they’re doing.

Wonder if these same folks will be holding signs if the Browns are playing in the 2nd round of the playoffs, or the AFCCG. They have the personnel to make a lot of noise this season.
And I wonder if they do not succeed what type of backlash they will get. Will he turn on the fans like he did with the Texans fan base

Winning fixes everything, there is just one problem and that's the winning part.

Bengals’ Katie Blackburn comments on Deshaun Watson contract
Katie Blackburn understands that the Deshaun Watson deal will impact negotiations with Joe Burrow.
By PatrickJudis@PatrickJudis Apr 4, 2022, 6:00am EDT

This offseason has been a wild one across the league. We have seen multiple big-name quarterbacks and wide receivers change teams. There have also been countless teams going “all in” by adding talented defenders to put their defense over the top.

The Cincinnati Bengals have had a much more low-key offseason, all things considered. They did what they needed to do by retaining quite a few key pieces from last season while adding three new starters along the offensive line, which was a huge issue yet again last season.

Despite this low-key offseason for Cincinnati, they still have been impacted by at least one of the bigger deals made this offseason. The Cleveland Browns made history by trading for Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson while simultaneously giving him a five-year $230 million fully guaranteed contract. That is $80 million more guaranteed than any player has ever been given in NFL history.

While everyone has been talking about the deal, Blackburn admits she hasn’t poured over the deal quite yet.
“All contracts can have a ripple effect,” Blackburn told the Athletic’s Jay Morrison. “I haven’t looked at the (Watson) contract closely enough, so I don’t know if there are ways the guarantees can void if certain things happen. Maybe that’s not something that can happen. We’ll see. I have not had the chance to really study it yet or look at it to be fair. It’s on my list, but I’m behind.”

The Bengals are still viewed as one of the few remaining teams who have issues giving out huge amounts of guaranteed money to players. There is no question that has limited them in some negotiations, especially with free agents on the open market. It still seems like that is very much a philosophy the team holds, but it isn’t lost on her that they need to be willing to be flexible with that when the market demands it.

“I don’t focus on the guaranteed as much because in theory, if the player gets the money at the end of the day, that’s what’s important to him,” she said. “So if the player is good enough and plays out the contract, he gets the money.

“The thing that has always given us some pause is if for some reason things go badly,” Blackburn continued. “It’s not fair for the team in the future if there’s a large amount of money going to someone else with the way system works today. So we’ve always tried to balance that out. But we work in a world where we realize other contracts have some effects, so we’ll just have to see where that all stands when it comes to be that time. At some point, we’re going to pay the cap amount, so we just have to find a way to make that work that’s in the best interest of the team.”

It is hard to ignore the situation surrounding the Watson contract. He was in a position where he had a no-trade clause in his contract with four different quarterback desperate teams courting him. He may as well have been on the open market.
THE REST OF THE STORY

Last edited:
Coalminers choose to mine coal just as much as football players choose to play football. You can work other places besides coal mining. Its like saying drug dealers don't have a choice. Its either slang or work at McDonalds. You do have options. All my friends who work in refineries, chose to work in them just as I did. I chose too because them money was awesome, but after a few years, I decided to start my own business. It doesn't go one way.
Lol, i enjoy your posts with popcorn and junior mints.

Caserio has done a good job so far. A pretty damn good job as far as I'm concerned. But even with that, I'm waiting for where we're at after the draft before jumping on the Caserio bandwagon. What he does with 3 & 13 will tell me a whole lot more.
Well he can't really stuff it up unless he goes QB with one of those picks.
Or really reaches with both of them - but then of course we would have to wait to see how they pan out.

Well he can't really stuff it up unless he goes QB with one of those picks.
Or really reaches with both of them - but then of course we would have to wait to see how they pan out.

If he takes a QB in rounds one or two that would be a huge mistake IMO. And besides we all know no matter who we draft they can be a bust anyways, we've seen that crap before. ******* Clowney comes to mind.

If he takes a QB in rounds one or two that would be a huge mistake IMO. And besides we all know no matter who we draft they can be a bust anyways, we've seen that crap before. ******* Clowney comes to mind.
Not really. The Cardinals took Rosen at 10 then Murry at 1. They got their guy and that's what count.

A detailed opinion piece indicting Watson, the Browns, the NFL and society.

Even a Super Bowl win can’t make Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson a source of civic pride for Cleveland: Maple Buescher
Published: Apr. 06, 2022, 5:50 a.m.
By Maple Buescher, cleveland.com

I clearly remember the first moment I heard the name Deshaun Watson. I was – as per the standard 2022 college experience – sitting in the library, procrastinating my homework, and scrolling mindlessly through

Instagram, when I started seeing post after post, stuffed with the Browns logo. Confused, I closed Instagram, opened Google, and started reading.

The situation, as I learned, was complex. For the uninitiated, Watson is a star quarterback recently acquired by the Browns. His new contract set an NFL record with $230 million in guaranteed money. He has been accused, separately, by two dozen women of sexual misconduct and assault. Two Texas grand juries declined to indict him, and Watson has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing. But 22 civil suits are still pending.

What makes the situation difficult is that there are so many different threads in play: our trust in the judicial system, the balance of sports and ethics, whether we can separate “the art from the artist,” respect for women, a city’s duty to protect its most vulnerable. The more I read, the less sure I became about what to think. So, I reached out to some friends for their thoughts. Several responded, and together, we parsed issues of morality, balanced athletics against ethics, wondered about the difference between an athlete and a city representative, and thought about the nuances of the American legal system.

The more we talked, the more I came to believe that sports, at their heart, really aren’t about winning games. They’re about the ideals of athletic merit and civic pride. In the end, sports fans don’t really base allegiances on touchdowns scored or homeruns hit. Rather, we stay committed to teams on losing streaks and wear their jerseys with pride, even if they go an entire season without a win (looking at y’all 2017 Browns fans.) We praise “loyal” athletes who stay with a team for years, and we root for the perpetual underdogs from our hometown, even if we’re not hopeful about their chances.

Why do we do all of this?

On the surface, pro sports teams don’t seem essential to a successful city. Sports aren’t important for the inner workings of our government. They’re not necessary to the survival of our city’s infrastructure. They might contribute to the economy, but cities have and can and will survive without them.

But what they do is imbue us with pride for our city, for where we come from, and – most of all – who we are.

Sports give us a reason to cheer “Go Cleveland!” They give us a tangible manifestation of what our city is and what it can produce. When we cheer for our sports teams, we want to feel as if we are unified with them. We want to feel connected with our athletes, and we want to be proud of this connection. Few Clevelanders can deny the joy that comes from saying, “LeBron James came from here! This is his home! Our city grew this!”

In crafting a team we can be proud of, we must start with individuals we can be proud of – each and every one of them. We’re cheering on our athletes as representations of who we are and of what we hope to be. We’re elevating our sports teams as an example of the best our city has to offer.

So, I ask -- is the best our city has to offer really 22 unresolved accusations of sexual misconduct?

Maybe this question seems like it’s oversignifying the importance of one man. It’s one man, the counterargument goes. Morally-questionable people inhabit every nook and cranny of every city in the country: On what basis can we single out this one man? It’s predatory and unfair.

Other people – including some of my friends – make the case that this is a systemic issue that bears addressing. One of my friends told me in an email that “it all ties around the treatment star athletes get [in general] when it comes to domestic and sexual assault/abuse problems,” and it isn’t limited to Watson. Another agrees: “this isn’t a problem with one player or one case, this is a problem with the institutional precedent that’s been set time and time again,” they told me in an email. “The exact reason the problem persists is because people do this every time, treating it like a one off moral crossroads and not the far reaching societal ill that it truly is. People think what they are debating is ethics but really it is mostly optics.” They say the debate over whether or not to sign Watson is largely irrelevant, because the scandal surrounding him is only one part of the deeper systemic problem.

On the other side of the “it doesn’t matter” debate is the idea that Watson’s off-the-field behavior is irrelevant to his performance on the field. In other words, Browns fans care most about winning – and that they want the Vince Lombardi Trophy so badly, they would mortgage their morals to get it.
THE REST OF THE STORY

From the article

Cleveland Browns
The Browns might as well have named Deshaun Watson their new owner, general manager, coach and offensive coordinator after not only acquiring him for a package including three first-round draft choices but also handing him a groundbreaking $230 million contract that was fully guaranteed at signing. That’s how empowering this contract could be for Watson, whom the Browns signed even while 22 civil lawsuits against the quarterback for sexual misconduct and sexual assault remained unresolved.

“People talk about the contract precedent and what that does to the NFL, but that leaves out the simple reality that this guy (Watson) doesn’t need to listen to anybody,” an exec said. “If he wants Kevin Stefanski fired, doesn’t like the offense, whatever it is, Cleveland is stuck.”

Stefanski and GM Andrew Berry have been the public face of the Browns since taking over. Some saw the Watson acquisition was a reminder that Jimmy Haslam owns the team.

“Stefanski and Berry are intellectuals,” an exec said.

This seemed like a panic move, not an intellectual move.

“This was a Flying J move,” the exec said, referring to Haslam’s company. “Anyone who has worked under him for any period of time will tell you the Flying J (Haslam) is one of the most impulsive guys you’ll ever meet.”

Watson denied all allegations against him and did not allow he could have handled himself better in any of his interactions with the women he hired for massages and allegedly coerced for sexual purposes. The Browns introduced him and smiled while posing for pictures with him.

“Giving him a fully guaranteed contract, they basically said it doesn’t matter,” another exec said. “If you are Stefanski, you are an NBA coach now.”

Some in the league think there’s pressure on commissioner Roger Goodell to send a message with a longer suspension than he might have levied if Watson had shown contrition or if the Browns had not entered into a new contract so favorable to the quarterback.

“My question is, how do you justify paying Tier 1 money for a Tier 2 quarterback with some Tier 3 tendencies and all the lawsuits?” an evaluator said. “They might as well have paid him in cryptocurrency.”

Two execs questioned how well Watson would fit in a Shanahan-style offense such as the one Cleveland has operated under Stefanski. They saw Watson as an excellent off-schedule quarterback who could execute the boots and play-actions effectively but wasn’t at his best as a rhythm passer. Others didn’t see any issues there.

“What Deshaun does best is playmaking, off-schedule, throwing deep, all that, which does not strike me as the Stefanski system,” an exec said. “It may all work out, but he is not the person to give that deal and that power to. You might do that with Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen, and even then you wouldn’t like it. I just don’t understand. It just reeks of desperation.”

There wasn’t anything impulsive about it. He was shot down after his first sales pitch, then doubled down & took a 2nd shot

When your team is a QB1 away, during its window of opportunity, then the team must find their answer in the FA or trade market since there isn’t an immediate answer via the draft. The Texans and Watson were in the driver’s seat.

I think Watson will be doing his best to win over the Browns fans by winning games. With the weapons they have provided him….the Browns are going to be a tough and exciting team.

Browns sign another quarterback to go along with Watson, Mayfield and Brissett
Jared Mueller
Fri, April 8, 2022, 6:30 PM·1

In an interesting move late on Friday afternoon, the Cleveland Browns are adding another quarterback to their roster. With Deshaun Watson acquired in a trade, Baker Mayfield still on the roster and Jacoby Brissett signed in free agency, it was thought the team would wait until they moved Mayfield to bring in another quarterback.

Mayfield’s market may not be what the team expected which could lead to a delay in a trade. With the team’s offseason program opening in a week and a half, adding another quarterback helps ease Watson back into action. Even if Mayfield shows up, his recovery from shoulder surgery was expected to limit him.

In comes Joshua Dobbs, according to his agent:

The 6’3″ Dobbs was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the fourth round of the 2017 NFL draft. He has played in just six games where he attempted just 17 passes.

The Steelers traded Dobbs to the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2019 in exchange for a fifth-round pick then claimed him back a year later.

With Watson coming back from a year off of competition and Mayfield unlikely to be able to participate, if he attends, Brissett and Dobbs may get a majority of the throws on April 19th.

A versatile player at Tennesee in college, Dobbs rushed the ball 438 times for over 2,100 yards and 32 touchdowns in his four years in Knoxville.

With Watson, Brissett and, now, Dobbs, the Browns have three mobile quarterbacks set to run the show in 2022 once Mayfield’s future is resolved.

Whether traded or released, Mayfield is unlikely to ever see another snap with the Browns and jeopardizing a potential trade. His surgery was on his non-throwing shoulder, but it is enough to try to protect him from being thrown down on that rehabbing shoulder. His injury was reported as a labrum tear, but in fact he also sustained an upper arm bone (humerus) fracture. For many reasons one of which I posted in another thread, I would be surprised if Mayfield is a Brown by the time TC rolls around.

There wasn’t anything impulsive about it. He was shot down after his first sales pitch, then doubled down & took a 2nd shot
An impulse does not have to be an action that is taken without careful thought. It can be based on an abnormal driving and motivating force.........not being able to resist temptations. There is even a well-establish psychiatric diagnosis for it.........Impulse-Control Disorder (ICD). Money can intensify this disorder and make it less likely to avoid the trap. Haslam's past history pretty much fits the profile and these actions.

From the article

Cleveland Browns
The Browns might as well have named Deshaun Watson their new owner, general manager, coach and offensive coordinator after not only acquiring him for a package including three first-round draft choices but also handing him a groundbreaking $230 million contract that was fully guaranteed at signing. That’s how empowering this contract could be for Watson, whom the Browns signed even while 22 civil lawsuits against the quarterback for sexual misconduct and sexual assault remained unresolved.

“People talk about the contract precedent and what that does to the NFL, but that leaves out the simple reality that this guy (Watson) doesn’t need to listen to anybody,” an exec said. “If he wants Kevin Stefanski fired, doesn’t like the offense, whatever it is, Cleveland is stuck.”

Stefanski and GM Andrew Berry have been the public face of the Browns since taking over. Some saw the Watson acquisition was a reminder that Jimmy Haslam owns the team.

“Stefanski and Berry are intellectuals,” an exec said.

This seemed like a panic move, not an intellectual move.

“This was a Flying J move,” the exec said, referring to Haslam’s company. “Anyone who has worked under him for any period of time will tell you the Flying J (Haslam) is one of the most impulsive guys you’ll ever meet.”

Watson denied all allegations against him and did not allow he could have handled himself better in any of his interactions with the women he hired for massages and allegedly coerced for sexual purposes. The Browns introduced him and smiled while posing for pictures with him.

“Giving him a fully guaranteed contract, they basically said it doesn’t matter,” another exec said. “If you are Stefanski, you are an NBA coach now.”

Some in the league think there’s pressure on commissioner Roger Goodell to send a message with a longer suspension than he might have levied if Watson had shown contrition or if the Browns had not entered into a new contract so favorable to the quarterback.

“My question is, how do you justify paying Tier 1 money for a Tier 2 quarterback with some Tier 3 tendencies and all the lawsuits?” an evaluator said. “They might as well have paid him in cryptocurrency.”

Two execs questioned how well Watson would fit in a Shanahan-style offense such as the one Cleveland has operated under Stefanski. They saw Watson as an excellent off-schedule quarterback who could execute the boots and play-actions effectively but wasn’t at his best as a rhythm passer. Others didn’t see any issues there.

“What Deshaun does best is playmaking, off-schedule, throwing deep, all that, which does not strike me as the Stefanski system,” an exec said. “It may all work out, but he is not the person to give that deal and that power to. You might do that with Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen, and even then you wouldn’t like it. I just don’t understand. It just reeks of desperation.”
Rodgers played off schedule alot, so does Wilson, doesn't matter.

When your team is a QB1 away, during its window of opportunity, then the team must find their answer in the FA or trade market since there isn’t an immediate answer via the draft. The Texans and Watson were in the driver’s seat.

I think Watson will be doing his best to win over the Browns fans by winning games. With the weapons they have provided him….the Browns are going to be a tough and exciting team.
Nobody wants to hear this! Everything posted is worse case scenerio and posters talk about him having 2 acl's already. If he wouldn't have demanded out, even with the accusations, people would still be him. Winning is the best deodorant especially in sports. Big Ben was at college parties and had his dudes watching the door while he was doing what he did or what he was accused of. He won games and a superbowl and nobody cared. Kobe was flying back and forth to court in Colorado and dropping 30 and nobody cared. Its sour grapes on the Texans fans, I understand. Lincoln Riley left a blue blood program and went to USC and they act like he cant coach or recruit anymore.

Nobody wants to hear this! Everything posted is worse case scenerio and posters talk about him having 2 acl's already. If he wouldn't have demanded out, even with the accusations, people would still be him. Winning is the best deodorant especially in sports. Big Ben was at college parties and had his dudes watching the door while he was doing what he did or what he was accused of. He won games and a superbowl and nobody cared. Kobe was flying back and forth to court in Colorado and dropping 30 and nobody cared. Its sour grapes on the Texans fans, I understand. Lincoln Riley left a blue blood program and went to USC and they act like he cant coach or recruit anymore.

I would care and that's all I have to say because I dont want to get banned for my opinions of this POS.

This is the post Weinstein “me too “ era. It’s different now. Some people can’t grasp that. Kobe and Rothlesberger are examples of athletes that got away with sexual assault that wouldn’t be acceptable today. Times change. Houston is representing that. Nothing wrong with that.

And let’s not forget Houston would be made an example more so than some other teams when punishment is assessed. See the Astros and how the Red Sox are never talked about and how the Yankees cheating has attempted to be hidden.

The Browns have added another quarterback to their QB room................Joshua Dobbs. The last two seasons with the Steelers, he completed 4 of 5 passes for two yards in one game played.

1649626587422.png

While the financial ramifications of the deal became a point of discussion for team owners, NFL executives see another problem for the Browns.

“People talk about the contract precedent and what that does to the NFL, but that leaves out the simple reality that this guy (Watson) doesn’t need to listen to anybody. If he wants Kevin Stefanski fired, doesn’t like the offense, whatever it is, Cleveland is stuck.”

While the financial ramifications of the deal became a point of discussion for team owners, NFL executives see another problem for the Browns.

Its pretty clear this was an owner move, no GM would hand out a contract like this to any player knowing how much power it gives them. I mean even Brady or Manning never got this much control. Only the Browns, kinda makes taking drafting advice from a homeless man seem tame in comparison.

Its pretty clear this was an owner move, no GM would hand out a contract like this to any player knowing how much power it gives them. I mean even Brady or Manning never got this much control. Only the Browns, kinda makes taking drafting advice from a homeless man seem tame in comparison.
It's insane. & I'm glad the Texans ended up on the side they did.

The only person who can fire esterby is Cal. He went from character coach to 2nd in power behind Cal. Tell me another organization that has done that for a guy who orchestrated some of the worse football moves in the history of sports.

unable to determine the character of the QB he helped sign to a mega multi-year contract
Yep and never talk about the cancer that is JE. Gave Whitney money when he was on the sorry pill, gave Cunningham more money than all pro position lb, orchestrated the Hopkins for David Johnson trade, and helped get a guy coaching sandlot, 3 interviews with the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back