Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

DW4 staying or going?

On May 1st 2021 DeShawn Watson will be:

• Total voters
Man bump that quitting bleep 76. Watson is basically quitting and I don’t see how anyone could agree with his weak antics. Who signs one of the highest contracts in NFL history and then turns around and demands a trade?
Let’s say he was going into his fifth season without an extension & he wanted to be traded. What would you ask for him?

How many teams will give you that with only one year on his current deal? And no guarantee he’ll resign with you? And know you’ll be negotiating in the $40M range?

Since his contract is now done, signing bonus has been paid, the new team will have him locked in for five years for basically $30M per year.

Huge problem.
Give the kid what he wants, and let him go to the team offering the best compensation package in return. Stop playing stupid games.
I’m not seeing the problem. Sounds like where the Texans want to be.

OPT out, sit out, same thing.

Point is Watson isn’t playing & he’s not getting paid. When he comes back, the Texans can still bench him, suspend him & now he’s 27 years old & hasn’t played in two years.

I’m not seeing the problem. Sounds like where the Texans want to be.

OPT out, sit out, same thing.

Point is Watson isn’t playing & he’s not getting paid. When he comes back, the Texans can still bench him, suspend him & now he’s 27 years old & hasn’t played in two years.
How is no Watson on the field and no picks-from-a-Watson-trade "where the Texans want to be"?

How is no Watson on the field and no picks-from-a-Watson-trade "where the Texans want to be"?

they don’t want to trade him. I don’t know that they think he’ll change his mind & play for them.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that Miami & NYJets are not on Watson’s list. & the teams that are don’t have what the Texans want.

What about Eli Manning declaring he wasn't going to the Chargers in the draft?

Players have tried to force the issue since long ago.

How much money had the Charges given Eli? Yeah, none.

I wouldn't have a problem if he had played a few years on his contract, or at the draft said he wouldn't play for X team, or hadn't JUST signed a new deal. He took the signing bonus money and now wants out. So the Texans TEAM is penalized 'cause he's all up in his feelings?

Screw that - loyalty is everything? It's also a two-way street, how about show some loyalty to the people that just gave you millions of guaranteed dollars, or be a man and give the money back. Get your big new contract from your new team.

Last edited:
they don’t want to trade him. I don’t know that they think he’ll change his mind & play for them.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that Miami & NYJets are not on Watson’s list. & the teams that are don’t have what the Texans want.
Sorry, I still don't understand why this is good for the Texans? Surely having Watson on the field, or having a bag full of picks is preferable to the scenario you paint. Isn't no Watson on the field and no picks the absolute worst outcome?

The saying was supposed to be asylum. Bob McNair misspoke, if he hadn't this wouldn't have been an issue. But since he did the woke crowd took it out of context and ran with it. (Shocking) BTW, are there white/hispanic people in prison?
Yes, agreed. He put his own spin on the "inmates running the asylum" line and it went downhill from there.

Sorry, I still don't understand why this is good for the Texans? Surely having Watson on the field, or having a bag full of picks is preferable to the scenario you paint. Isn't no Watson on the field and no picks the absolute worst outcome?

There’s no bag full of picks. There’s an NTC. So until Watson waived the NTC, no bag full of picks.

It’s best, imo, to assume Watson is trying to force a Hopkins type trade.

There’s no bag full of picks. There’s an NTC. So until Watson waived the NTC, no bag full of picks.

It’s best, imo, to assume Watson is trying to force a Hopkins type trade.
The point was made that Watson being on the Texans books but not playing is exactly where the Texans want to be, which to me makes no sense. I'm trying to understand why you think that's a good thing - what am I missing? Or have I misunderstood your point?

The point was made that Watson being on the Texans books but not playing is exactly where the Texans want to be, which to me makes no sense. I'm trying to understand why you think that's a good thing - what am I missing? Or have I misunderstood your point?
To me it puts us closer to DW4 waiving the NTC so we can get a properly valued trade.

Huge problem.
Give the kid what he wants, and let him go to the team offering the best compensation package in return. Stop playing stupid games.

It's a good strategy in theory, but they simply cannot get the best compensation package in return if he's choosing his spot and refuses to waive the NTC.

What, exactly, does the kid want? Just out of Houston? Waive the NTC. Let the Texans wheel and deal.

Or, out of Houston + trade to a playoff team? Well, that changes things and narrows down the possibilities considerably.

Can they be a martyr if history shows they consistently shoot themselves in the foot and their problems are self-inflicted?

Yes they have blown both their feet all the way off. But a player who just signed a mega contract 6 months ago shouldn’t be demanding a trade this soon. I understand he’s mad and upset, but honor your contract for at least 2-3 years. This stubbornness is not a good look for him imo. The media is dragging the Texans in the mud, rightfully so but they should be given him the same treatment versus actually praising him.

How much money had the Charges given Eli? Yeah, none.

I wouldn't have a problem if he had played a few years on his contract, or at the draft said he wouldn't play for X team, or hadn't JUST signed a new deal. He took the signing bonus money and now wants out. So the Texans TEAM is penalized 'cause he's all up in his feelings?

Screw that - loyalty is everything? It's also a two-way street, how about show some loyalty to the people that just gave you millions of guaranteed dollars, or be a man and give the money back. Get your big new contract from your new team.
Watson actually did the Texans a favor by signing that contract, but to even it out, his agent added the NTC.

Without the contract, the Texans would have much less leverage with other teams in a trade.

It's a business deal, you and some others just can't see it.
There's no such thing called loyalty in the NFL.
It's a business.

There's a man and there's a stupid man.

Cal NcNair needed to know before he approved that contract.

We don't know what else has been going on behind closed doors, but it doesn't take a genius to know that there's a difference in philosophy (if Cal even has one) and his QB.

Yep. It's just business. Time to cut our losses and move on with the best option for the Houston Texans.

If Watson is truly serious about wanting out, waive the NTC and let Caserio make it happen. Otherwise, he's wanting his cake while eating it, too.

lol Nice try, man. :ok:

But, you're fooling yourself if you think some podunk lawyer website has any chance of undermining the work of the deep pocketed lawyers of the NFL and NFLPA.
It doesn't matter which side win the stalemate, but for the record, there have been players that came out on top after their hold out: Darrele Revis, Emmitt Smith, Eric Dickerson (twice), Chris Johnson.
Even the bust Jamarcus Russell.

To me it puts us closer to DW4 waiving the NTC so we can get a properly valued trade.
I'm confused. I thought the point was about him sitting out or opting out for 2 years? I can't make the connection to how that impacts his NTC.

If the goal is to get the most value for him, then surely the first step from here is to entertain offers and understand the market rate. Start the bidding, set a deadline and accept the best offer. If Watson doesn't want to waive the NTC, now we'll consider alternative strategies.

Personally, I wouldn't even go there at this stage, I'd still be on a charm offensive with him. I'd have already fired Easterby, schmoozed his momma, lauded his girlfriend, and generally massaged his ego. I'd possibly even go to the extreme inconvenience of using his name instead of referring to him as "The Player". But I understand that many folks wouldn't take that course... most people don't deal with divas on a daily basis like I do!

It's a business deal, you and some others just can't see it.
There's no such thing called loyalty in the NFL.
It's a business.

“Loyalty is everything. Don’t you EVER forget it”

What’s BS about signing a contract, getting paid mega bucks up front for doing nothing but signing, having a tear jerking, lovefest interview about signing for those mega bucks, then turning right around telling everyone **** you?

Wait, wait, that IS BS.

Dude, I get you defending the guy for his play on the field, I’m right there with you on that. But I can’t figure why you’re defending this horseshit.

“Loyalty is everything. Don’t you EVER forget it”

What’s BS about signing a contract, getting paid mega bucks up front for doing nothing but signing, having a tear jerking, lovefest interview about signing for those mega bucks, then turning right around telling everyone **** you?

Wait, wait, that IS BS.

Dude, I get you defending the guy for his play on the field, I’m right there with you on that. But I can’t figure why you’re defending this horseshit.
I'm not defending any side.
I'm just calling it a business deal.

agreed. But, Watson doesn’t get to say what his value is. If the Texans reached out to the teams he is willing to go to & they don’t pony up the ask, Watson should shrug his shoulders, say they tried & play for the Texans to the best of his ability & try again next year.
The Chargers actually drafted Eli.
But knowing that the guy had flat out said he doesn't want to play for them (because they were perennial losers), the Chargers had no choice but to trade him.

The NTC in Watson's contract was in a similar vein... so that he doesn't get traded to another perennial loser.

J J Watt himself wanted to go to a team that gives him the chance to compete for a championship.

A business deal that Watson benefitted greatly from, and just 4 months after, has decided to **** the team who gave him that deal, including the $27M they gave him just for signing.

Hey, that's just business, I guess.
I've already said somebody will give him the money sooner or later.

At the end of the day, Watson is going to get paid.

He already did get paid. What’s your argument again?
In the long run, he'd get market value just the same.
In another word, his lifetime earning would/should come out approximately the same whether he signed an extension last year or this year.

BTW, I've seen people renege on their marriage contract quite often, and that one is supposed to be the most important one.

My give a damn tank for DW4 is at zero after his b1tch like attitude and wanting out because he had a losing season, and that’s bad for his personal stats. With that said, Mahomie DID choke. He looked and played like complete trash in the SB. Boy flew all the way to Tampa to throw 2 whole interceptions. The media can try handing him a participation trophy, but incomplete passes are incomplete passes, no matter how cool their fans think they are. Mahomes should be thanking his kicker, otherwise they would have scored ZERO points in an even worse blowout. Tom Brady gave Mahomie a QB lesson. Seeing his mom and fiancé bashing the refs for calling the Chiefs’ dirty ass plays was cringeworthy. The media is doing a hell of a job shoving Mahomie down everyone’s, throat by the way. I enjoyed seeing their golden boy get beat like a drum on national television.

We must have watched two different games .... Cause the most exciting moments in that game were Mahomes running for his life and making impossible throws that were oh so close.

Credit to the Tampa defense for winning , particularly up front.

I'm confused. I thought the point was about him sitting out or opting out for 2 years? I can't make the connection to how that impacts his NTC.

If the goal is to get the most value for him, then surely the first step from here is to entertain offers and understand the market rate. Start the bidding, set a deadline and accept the best offer. If Watson doesn't want to waive the NTC, now we'll consider alternative strategies.

Personally, I wouldn't even go there at this stage, I'd still be on a charm offensive with him. I'd have already fired Easterby, schmoozed his momma, lauded his girlfriend, and generally massaged his ego. I'd possibly even go to the extreme inconvenience of using his name instead of referring to him as "The Player". But I understand that many folks wouldn't take that course... most people don't deal with divas on a daily basis like I do!
That’s cool. Some people like being told how to run their business.

In the long run, he'd get market value just the same.
In another word, his lifetime earning would/should come out approximately the same whether he signed an extension last year or this year.

BTW, I've seen people renege on their marriage contract quite often, and that one is supposed to be the most important one.

And usually its costs them half of everything they have and then a big chunk of future earnings from then on. Watson pays that and he’s free to go.

The Chargers actually drafted Eli.
But knowing that the guy had flat out said he doesn't want to play for them (because they were perennial losers), the Chargers had no choice but to trade him.

The NTC in Watson's contract was in a similar vein... so that he doesn't get traded to another perennial loser.
Got it. You’d accept less in a trade to make sure Watson is happy somewhere else spending your money.

That’s fine. But you have to understand not everyone is that stupid. O’Brien was, & it was those kind of trades that got us here.

Personally I hope those days are behind us.

Exactly.
It's a shame that people can't afford a choice more often.
On the other hand, when somebody like Watson does have some leverage, I'm good with them trying to push the envelope.

In real life, there are labor unions and there have been strikes.
It's just business, like the NFL teams' FO like to say.

You think the NFLPA is gonna get behind Watson on this ? .... Not hardly.

The NFLPA is who negotiated the rules he's trying to put himself above.

A few "stars" might take his side but the rank and file wouldn't support this at all.

It would be hard to turn that deal down ...

Now if it were the Jets offering both 1's and both 2's this year along with both 1's next year , its a done deal.
What Jets have: 1.2, 1.23 2.34 3.67 and 3.87

2022: round one theirs and Seattle's
Round two theirs
Round three theirs
What I want and believe we can get:

2021 both round ones + 2.34 and DT Q. Williams plus 2022 round one.

What Texans will get if trade done: all and either Williams or 22 round one.

Today Williams came out asking the Jets not to trade him so there are some concerns from his camp is that a deal could be done.

Got it. You’d accept less in a trade to make sure Watson is happy somewhere else spending your money.

That’s fine. But you have to understand not everyone is that stupid. O’Brien was, & it was those kind of trades that got us here.

Personally I hope those days are behind us.
The McNairs and Easterby were all in on it and they're still here.

So if you paid a guy a $2,500 down payment to put a new roof on your house, & before he stripped half of it decides to go do roofs in Southern California where the weather is better for outdoor work, you’d be okay? It’s just business.

It's a good strategy in theory, but they simply cannot get the best compensation package in return if he's choosing his spot and refuses to waive the NTC.

What, exactly, does the kid want? Just out of Houston? Waive the NTC. Let the Texans wheel and deal.

Or, out of Houston + trade to a playoff team? Well, that changes things and narrows down the possibilities considerably.
I want his ass gone now BUT not at the expense of letting him drive this trade off a cliff and hosing us because he wants to pick EXACTLY where he wants to go. If that's the case then yea let his ass rot and see who blinks. Fascinating story it just sucks its another HST sports team that is providing the drama. Lately we're the gift that keeps on giving. F*ck our life!

What Jets have: 1.2, 1.23 2.34 3.67 and 3.87

2022: round one theirs and Seattle's
Round two theirs
Round three theirs
What I want and believe we can get:

2021 both round ones + 2.34 and DT Q. Williams plus 2022 round one.

What Texans will get if trade done: all and either Williams or 22 round one.

Today Williams came out asking the Jets not to trade him so there are some concerns from his camp is that a deal could be done.

I can just hear him now. "oh god no, please don't ship me there" lol

Yeah it’s just business but it not a good business deal period. And you are siding with Watson using the excuse of other players signing a mega deal then shortly afterwards demanding a trade and using social media to push it versus actually talking to his bosses.
We don't know how much they have talked.

But if this was his beef with Cal and Easterby then talking to Caserio serves no purpose.

Me, personally, if I don't want to work for somebody because something changes, yes, I would try to find a way to get out of it (the contract).

Back