Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Do you think Watson will accept a trade to the Jets?

Do you think Watson will accept a trade to the Jets?

• Total voters

badboy

Hall of Fame
I also wonder if MIA or NYJ would attempt to make a stipulation that Tua or Darnold can’t be traded to NE or an AFC EAST team.
Cause you know Caserio already has Belichick on speed dial For Tua.
Flores a former coach in NE trades Tua to Caserio a former FO guy in NE only to have Tua then immediately traded to Belichick a minute later for a 2nd round pick.
I’m sure this is being discussed, folks.
If Belichek wants Tua why shouldn't Texans? Pep is supposed to be real deal, right?

jets0517

Practice Squad
I believe Miami upped their situation to a win-now mode. With Caserio in the GM seat, the days of dealing with RS or OB are over and so are the lopsided trades. If the Jets even want to be in the ballpark of blocking the Dolphins from obtaining their QB1 "Franchise QB".....Douglas better ready himself from a deep ride.

If the Jets want to be in the game, they better be prepared to cough up their:
RD1-02-002
RD1-23-023
RD3-02-066
Darnold As A Toss-In
RD1
RD1

If the Jets would like to add WR- Cooks as a solid veteran and someone Watson is comfortable with and is probably better than the current receiving group:
RD2

Like I mentioned in another post.....the Dolphins are truly a QB1 away from possibly elevating their team to being the AFC East team to beat, especially if they can add a Cooks to their receiving group. Why would Miami be such dominant players in this potential trade action? They wouldn't be obtaining a game manager like Fitzpatrick or hooking their carriage to an inexperienced horse like Tua, they'd be landing a top shelf "Franchise QB" who's only 25 years old and under contract. That's potentially a 7-10 year answer at QB1. I think the Dolphins can throw down a package of players and picks that could have Caserio succeeding with his first blockbuster deal.

RD1-03-003
RD1-18-018
RD2-03-035
QB- Tua
CB- Howard
RD1
RD1

If Cooks is included in this deal....which the Dolphins could really use.
RD2
lol.....this has to be a joke. it's completely unrealsitic. you guys are gonna be sorely disappointed if you think you're getting anything close to this

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
This is a really tough situation for me to sort through because my affiliations are split.

I have been a Texans fan since 2002, and my father was an Oilers fan before that. I was born in Houston. As a Houstonion and as a Texans fan, I absolutely cannot stand this has happened with my franchise and my quarterback.

With that said, I tend to have a heavy lean towards players in any business/contract/CBA dispute with owners. I know most individuals hate the millionaire vs billionaire disputes, because most of the world has more problems than just how many zeros to add, but that’s just the nature of the sports and entertainment business.

For those that say he shouldn’t have signed the extension if he wanted out, I say that if he got a career ending injury last year playing for whatever it was Houston was playing for, his agent and Deshaun would have failed the business side of the equation.

For those that say players need to honor their contract - owners renegotiate or restructure deals all the time or threaten to cut a player if they do not. David Johnson here. Rudolph in Minnesota recently just to name two. If owners can alter the contract terms on the fly, players can too. Players are the commodity. The league gives the players the platform, but the platform is what it is because of the players. We don’t cheer for Cal, that’s for damn sure.

@badboy that’s hysterical, and likely what Nick would do as soon as he hangs up. Watson’s side is best to play this cool and calm, because angry business is bad business. Mulugheta has already lit the match now, no use to keep throwing flames. Just let the slow burn continue.

@steelbtexan Mulugheta would immediately respond that he works for Deshaun and not Houston. Cal does not pay him directly. Deshaun does. He is not concerned with the return Houston gets. As someone noted in another thread and I forget who, NC will not put another individual in charge of Houston’s return, period. Can Mulugheta help facilitate conversations...maybe. But with Deshaun under contract with Houston, you have to be aware of tampering rules. And to be honest, no GM is going to trust the player agent to facilitate any trade, much less one of this magnitude. But GMs are going to talk to Nick because Nick is the cardholder. I know the threat of fines/conduct detrimental is there, but I repeat that Houston will not fine Deshaun multiple times to prevent the season from tolling. It would be like taking the Brown situation and adding nitrous to it. Watson will skip voluntary. He will skip OTA and camp. Take his 2-4 million dollar fine. Keep the pressure on Houston to have someone ready to go week 1 that isn’t named Watson (how many quarterbacks do we have currently? 1 Watson). Right now Watson isn’t concerned with his 2021 P5 salary (base) because it’s only roughly 10.5 million. His game checks are 650,000 each. He’s playing with house money this year because the signing bonus was his big money intake. As long as he does the minimum to hold his signing bonus, his larger P5 base salary doesn’t hit until 2022, and game checks will be more important then.

@thunderkyss
There is no clause that says Deshaun must be traded. But, as much as we all do not want to acknowledge this, holding Deshaun hostage is not good business period. It’s not good optics. It’s not a good team building strategy, I don’t care if Deshaun is the next Brady. Disgruntled players taint the juice. Duane Brown’s situation still resonates here. Andre Johnson’s situation still resonates here. Hopkins situation still resonates here. This Watson situation will resonate in Houston for at least 3 years. Probably 5-7. Maybe longer. The young guys in the locker room pay attention to their leaders. If the players and coaches and front office are not aligned, young guys know right away. If you want me to be honest, the Texans have not been the same since the Duane Brown fiasco. It was a bad business situation that was compounded by timing and slip of the tongue statements. Duane Brown was a tenured, respected leader in Houston. He and the Texans burnt down that support beam during his situation while young stars (Clowney, Watson, Hopkins) took note. They never forgot it. And I promise you it is still discussed today.

Again, with all this said, I want something, anything to happen that gets Watson back on board with the Texans, because finding a QB of his caliber is not just difficult, it may be one of the hardest scouting asks in sports. But once I know that won’t happen, as NC or as Watson, for both parties to truly prosper, we need to go separate ways. If not, this ordeal can spin out for another decade and taint future young men from believing the Houston Texans can win a title. As much as I enjoy watching Deshaun Watson, I want to see a Houston title before I die.

And to be honest with most of you here, either side of the Watson discussion, we all want the same thing. A Houston Texans Super Bowl celebration.
who gives a ****

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
lol.....this has to be a joke. it's completely unrealsitic. you guys are gonna be sorely disappointed if you think you're getting anything close to this
Any NFL team who thinks the Texans are operating in the past with RS or OB making the trade of Watson will be sorely disappointed. Caserio is holding Watson close to the vest and no team will get him for less than (4) RD1 picks. Oh, that'll be the starting offer....Caserio doesn't have to move Watson, unless he's getting what he feels like, is a solid but lopsided trade in the Texans favor.....better known as a blockbuster deal.

If Caserio has any plans of truly making Watson available.....it won't be out of desperation, it's going to be to cash in big time.

jets0517

Practice Squad
A very competitive season or two could very well have Watson seeing an extension so his new team stays competitive for the next 7-10 years. You don't think Watson would be willing to reduce his cap hit to keep his team relevant?
no, i think when it comes time watson will want to be the highest paid qb in the league. so, along with the fact that the dolphins will have just traded 2 years worth of their best draft picks along with one of the best corners in the league will put them in a spot where they will have watson and not enough around him. i'd be fine with the dolphins turning themselves into the 2020 texans

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
no, i think when it comes time watson will want to be the highest paid qb in the league. so, along with the fact that the dolphins will have just traded 2 years worth of their best draft picks along with one of the best corners in the league will put them in a spot where they will have watson and not enough around him. i'd be fine with the dolphins turning themselves into the 2020 texans
2020 Texans sucked, but it wasn't because of Watson's salary

Jack Burton

Veteran
If Belichek wants Tua why shouldn't Texans? Pep is supposed to be real deal, right?
Cause he’s Belechick. And this is HOU.
Tua is a walking infirmary. He has a litany of injury concerns and issues.
Then there’s the confidence issue. He looked like a back up to Fitzmagic all last year. Not good.
The guy needs a fresh start but not just anywhere. I dont think he would make it in HOU with a new, 1st time HC. I don’t think he makes it in MIA with Flores even and they are primed for a run right now.
Tua to me needs a HC who can mentor him in his system with his teaching and not only get his confidence back mentally but get him in a system that caters to getting the ball out fast and keeping Tua upright and healthy.

I don’t see Tua working out in a number of cities. He needs another Saban to get his mojo back.
HOU can’t afford a reclamation project in all of this and that’s what he is.

Jack Burton

Veteran
In the hypothetical we postulated a page ago with my mock, MIA gave up 1-3 1-18 2-34, Tua and Howard.
That’s not 2 yrs worth of picks and bankrupting the team.
Also, MIA and Howard is looking over anyways. He’s got his off the field issues and they want it over.

NYJFan619

Practice Squad
Hello Texans fan - Jet fan here coming in peace. I feel for you guys as I know firsthand as a Jets and Knicks fan what it feels like to deal with frustrations from an ownership/management side. Hopefully the new regime will help turn things around.

I was reading this thread to see what the pulse of the fan base was, and I think if I was in your shoes (or Caserios) I'd be saying the same thing. When Jamal Adams was bitching last offseason my stance was we have control of him for 4 years, if he wants to sit out the rest of his NFL career he can feel free to do so, because I am not trading him unless I feel I am making a move that is a net positive for my team. I think the Texans should hold tight until they get a ransom from another team because of who DW4 is, and ultimately, at some point - I believe you'll get it.

I thought I'd offer some perspective on the Jets management. I genuinely don't believe we will be getting Watson. Our new GM (has only had one offseason with the team, if we had our former GM Watson would be a Texan right now and you'd have 38 first-round picks) is all about the draft. He's a former scout and I genuinely don't believe he can climax unless his wife screams out DRAFT PICKS during sex. In every interview, he's done he speaks about the importance of building a foundation, and building that through the draft. The Jets have no foundation now and my guess is he will not be willing to pay the requisite price to trade for DW4. I think the best type of offer he'd make is #2 this year, one of our firsts next year, and a 2023 1st rounder. So three first-round picks but not multiple 1s one-year which will allow him to rebuild the core of this talent-depleted Jets team. I'm guessing that doesn't get it done, which is why I don't believe ultimately we will end up with Watson.

My question for you all is, I agree that Miami is the most logical trade partner. If we assume (maybe incorrectly) that the Texans would prefer to draft a QB at 3 rather than roll with Tua, and if the first two QBs off the board are TL & Wilson, would you all be worried about potential headaches in selecting Justin Fields? I believe Fields and Watson have trained together for multiple years now with the same QB coach, and share the same agent. Do you think the Texans would draft him knowing what the agent thinks of ownership as there may be potential issues down the road?

Jack Burton

Veteran
Hello Texans fan - Jet fan here coming in peace. I feel for you guys as I know firsthand as a Jets and Knicks fan what it feels like to deal with frustrations from an ownership/management side. Hopefully the new regime will help turn things around.

I was reading this thread to see what the pulse of the fan base was, and I think if I was in your shoes (or Caserios) I'd be saying the same thing. When Jamal Adams was bitching last offseason my stance was we have control of him for 4 years, if he wants to sit out the rest of his NFL career he can feel free to do so, because I am not trading him unless I feel I am making a move that is a net positive for my team. I think the Texans should hold tight until they get a ransom from another team because of who DW4 is, and ultimately, at some point - I believe you'll get it.

I thought I'd offer some perspective on the Jets management. I genuinely don't believe we will be getting Watson. Our new GM (has only had one offseason with the team, if we had our former GM Watson would be a Texan right now and you'd have 38 first-round picks) is all about the draft. He's a former scout and I genuinely don't believe he can climax unless his wife screams out DRAFT PICKS during sex. In every interview, he's done he speaks about the importance of building a foundation, and building that through the draft. The Jets have no foundation now and my guess is he will not be willing to pay the requisite price to trade for DW4. I think the best type of offer he'd make is #2 this year, one of our firsts next year, and a 2023 1st rounder. So three first-round picks but not multiple 1s one-year which will allow him to rebuild the core of this talent-depleted Jets team. I'm guessing that doesn't get it done, which is why I don't believe ultimately we will end up with Watson.

My question for you all is, I agree that Miami is the most logical trade partner. If we assume (maybe incorrectly) that the Texans would prefer to draft a QB at 3 rather than roll with Tua, and if the first two QBs off the board are TL & Wilson, would you all be worried about potential headaches in selecting Justin Fields? I believe Fields and Watson have trained together for multiple years now with the same QB coach, and share the same agent. Do you think the Texans would draft him knowing what the agent thinks of ownership as there may be potential issues down the road?
Just look at who Fields agent is to answer your question.

banned1976

sleeper mode

David Mulugheta represents 1.6 billion dollars worth of contracts with 42 clients. The Texans are going to want to be able to work with him. My concerns with Fields isn't his agent, it's his bad decisions on the field. If I'm sitting there with the #3 pick, TL and ZW are gone, I'm trying to move back if someone is interested in moving up to take Fields.

This is the Covid draft. If there's ever a time to lack picks, it's this year. I don't really trust some of the 2020 QB stats. I just have a feeling Zach Wilson and Fields are going to be busts in the NFL. At least with Fields, he played tougher competition.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think it's the only way they know how to operate. You know, worked well and was successful at Reliant will work on Kirby and for the Houston Texans (along with a little ego getting in the way).
Yep. They are the same ol' Houston Texans until proven otherwise.

Even Caserio needs to earn even the benefit of the doubt when he becomes another one of the jesters at the idiot king's round table. :joker:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Absolutely not.

He had to know his team would be in cap hell when he signed his extension , he had to know COVID reduced the cap for the next 4 seasons - it was agreed to by the players.

He took every dollar he could get.
I believe that as the next few seasons progress both Mahomes sand Watson will see how their salaries affect their teams ability to stay competitive and keep some of the moving parts they rely on. I. Think both were advised to take these monster contracts knowing that in a few years they'll have leverage in offering their teams an opportunity to extend them by front loading a nice signing bonus and reducing their annual cap hit. Mahomes went long term while Watson may have bet on the short-term deal in the hopes of getting another fat bonus quicker.....of course, that means he's betting on his success and stats.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I believe that as the next few seasons progress both Mahomes sand Watson will see how their salaries affect their teams ability to stay competitive and keep some of the moving parts they rely on. I. Think both were advised to take these monster contracts knowing that in a few years they'll have leverage in offering their teams an opportunity to extend them by front loading a nice signing bonus and reducing their annual cap hit. Mahomes went long term while Watson may have bet on the short-term deal in the hopes of getting another fat bonus quicker.....of course, that means he's betting on his success and stats.
Given the way he's trying to take his signing bonus and run you really think a team is going to give him another big signing bonus?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
at this point i dont think the jets or miami even want to trade for watson ... so yeah
Good point. There is a general assumption among the media and fans that both teams would be willing to trade away their futures, but nothing I know of confirms any of it.

The only team that appears to be actively trying is the Panthers. Maybe I just haven't caught news of the Jets and Dolphins.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Good point. There is a general assumption among the media and fans that both teams would be willing to trade away their futures, but nothing I know of confirms any of it.

The only team that appears to be actively trying is the Panthers. Maybe I just haven't caught news of the Jets and Dolphins.
Apparently Chicago is serious about making a kings ransom offer but I just don’t see how they have the capital to do it. Even then I don’t see Watson accepting it, Chicago is where QBs go to die.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

The Jets nor Dolphins have any incentive to want to trade or give up what its going to take to get him. They're both sitting pretty at the top of the draft and can get their franchise guy there if they want & both also have young qbs already on the roster that still have time to mature and/or turn it around & get better. Any team that trades for DW4 is a team in wanting badly to entertain giving up what its going to take to get him.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
Maybe but Kap would have been an upgrade as well particularly the year like 3 starters went down in the first 4 weeks and they stayed united on blackballing him.
Alot has happened since then concerning the Kap situation. All I have to say about that due to it will turn political

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
the texans need some good PLayer PR for future free agency.... they dont want this Watson thing getting ugly

they need to fire Jesus Jack or at least get him out of his hole and attempt to change his Image LOL ...if they really dont want to fire him

and then Hire Kapernick ....just for the PR and we would need a good backup qb to tank

thats what i would do

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
the texans need some good PLayer PR for future free agency.... they dont want this Watson thing getting ugly

they need to fire Jesus Jack or at least get him out of his hole and attempt to change his Image LOL ...if they really dont want to fire him

and then Hire Kapernick ....just for the PR and we would need a good backup qb to tank

thats what i would do
Kap is a powder keg, you would get good PR from the media and some fans but you would piss off another group of fans. Plus you can’t be sure what Kap would do or say or what others would do or say in his steed. Let’s say he stinks up the place and gets benched. Even if he himself understands and says nothing about it others would jump on it and now you have a whole new problem.

Jack Burton

Veteran
Any NFL team who thinks the Texans are operating in the past with RS or OB making the trade of Watson will be sorely disappointed. Caserio is holding Watson close to the vest and no team will get him for less than (4) RD1 picks. Oh, that'll be the starting offer....Caserio doesn't have to move Watson, unless he's getting what he feels like, is a solid but lopsided trade in the Texans favor.....better known as a blockbuster deal.

If Caserio has any plans of truly making Watson available.....it won't be out of desperation, it's going to be to cash in big time.
I think he will do it for what is representative of your trade.
1-3
1-18
2-34
Howard
Tua

The 2nd round pick and both players culminate in what Caserio sees as 2 more 1st round values combined.
Howard is easily a 1st round player and would probably be valued at a top 10-15 of the 1st round trade value today in a trade by himself. Tua would probably be valued at a 2nd rounder and if you took him and 34 you could trade back up into the 1st round easily, both together, representing a 1st.
Yes, I think he will pull the trigger on something like that if he has no other choice and all other avenues are exhausted with Watson.

Jack Burton

Veteran
So current reports say Fitzmagic may retire which would leave the Dolphins with just Tua as their starter. So how do you gentlemen think this changes things? Are Fins more likely to roll with Tua or does this make them want Watson even more?
I think since they are in win now mode and that division is heating up for years to come, they are now the primary trade partner with HOU. Watson makes them an immediate SB contender the day he’s traded there. Hypothetically of course.
Now that I’ve thought about that trade scenario above, I would definitely want Tua in that deal.
HOU gets,
1-3
1-18
2-34
Howard
Tua
Then HOU takes Tua and 34 and trades them both to NE for 15. That’s the only way NE can have TUA and Caserio looks like a “Boss” to his former boss cause Belichick supposedly hates 1st rounders anyways and he now has a really high 2nd in 34 and 47 still has 2 2nds.
HOU DRAFT
1-3 QB MAC JONES
1-15 WR JALEN WADDLE
1-18 RB NAJEE HARRIS
And CB XAVIEN HOWARD
Yeah. Now, that’s how you make a blockbuster trade.

jets0517

Practice Squad
But aren’t you already? Without the QB? Record wise anyway
what i meant is that, now that we are positioned with a ton of draft capital and a ton of cap space that it wouldn't make sense to use most of it on one player, turning us into what you guys were last year. a team with a really good qb but not enough talent anywhere else to win, and no significant draft capital or cap room to fix the problem

austins23

Hall of Fame
what i meant is that, now that we are positioned with a ton of draft capital and a ton of cap space that it wouldn't make sense to use most of it on one player, turning us into what you guys were last year. a team with a really good qb but not enough talent anywhere else to win, and no significant draft capital or cap room to fix the problem
Was just poking fun.
if I was the Jets I wouldn’t do that trade either. It’d take three years to get a good team built around him.
But, someone will do it. A QB like Watson is hard to find

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Perfect destination if you are Caserio ... he goes to Chicago and never wins anything.

Too bad they don't have the draft assets to make it happen.
There's a part of me that feels the same, there's also an evil little part of me that if Watson thinks the Texans have a bias and don't take social issues seriously he would be in for a huge cultural shock once he hit Chicago. Now there is a team that will tell him to shut up and play and don't talk back. It wasn't just QB skill that caused them to trade the farm to make sure they got Trubisky in that draft.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Dak Prescott is now the second highest paid QB in the league.
Who's next?
I think eventually, the majority of the starters will either surpass or come close enough such that it doesn't matter much or at all.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The Texans sucked last year because the GM doled out unworthy contracts, either the scouting department kept finding poor prospects or the coaching staff couldn't develop them for years on end, and the HC was mediocre at best.
Draft picks wouldn't have matter.
Cap space wouldn't have matter.
Only Watson and a few other players matter.

Last edited: