Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Do we stand a chance against Colts without AJ?

I really have no urge to do so. This is a nice forum and I really just wanted to talk a little football, that's all.

At the same time, the "They will not disrespect us in our house" stuff seemed a tad premature and did cause a chuckle.. :)

Premature?

Is this what you meant?

pre·ma·ture /?prim?'t???r, -'t??r, -'ty??r, 'prim??t???r or, especially Brit., ?pr?m?-, 'pr?m?-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pree-muh-choor, -toor, -tyoor, pree-muh-choor or, especially Brit., prem-uh-, prem-uh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. occurring, coming, or done too soon: a premature announcement.
2. mature or ripe before the proper time.

I make a impassioned comment about my team and the game this weekend and I'm premature?

Lets establish a few facts shall we?

1. This is a message board for fans to talk about guess what? The Houston Texans.
2. At no time did I direct any comment toward any Colts fan visiting here or disparage anyone on the board in a personal manner.
3. I did not make my comments on a Colts Message Board nor do I even visit such places. The Colts fans have their forums and the Texans fans have theirs.
4. Nor did I solicit comments from Colts fans regarding my comments.

Did I miss anything?

Premature?

Is this what you meant?

<snip>

Did I miss anything?

I'd say so, yes.

1. This is a message board for fans to talk about guess what? The Houston Texans.

That's correct. I think it could be agreed by all that that is what we're both doing. What's more, as a Colts fan, discussion of the Colts re: the upcoming game is equally relevant, since it has to do with the Texans.

If you want to discuss your Texans without fans of other teams chiming in, it would probably go better for you to do so on a forum where fans of other teams aren't welcome (wherever that may be - I'm guess it's a pretty boring place if it exists at all).

I'm a member here and have the same privileges to discussion in this thread as anyone else - especially since it's about the upcoming game against the Colts.

2. At no time did I direct any comment toward any Colts fan visiting here or disparage anyone on the board in a personal manner.

Neither have I. I'm not sure if you're making a point here, but if you are I'm afraid I'm missing it.

3. I did not make my comments on a Colts Message Board nor do I even visit such places. The Colts fans have their forums and the Texans fans have theirs.

Segregation is boring. If I wanted to listen to a bunch of Colts homers go on and on all week long about how we will crush you, I wouldn't have joined up here.

4. Nor did I solicit comments from Colts fans regarding my comments.

I disagree. See my above point - this is a forum to which a number of Colts fans are registered. By posting at all you've opened yourself willingly to comments from other members, be they Colts fans or not. If it's really that big of a problem for you, maybe you should put something at the end of all your messages like:
"This post is intended for fellow Texans fans only - comments or rebuttals by fans of other NFL teams are not welcomed."​

If you want to talk football w/ me that's fine - that's why I'm here - but I've got to stress that trying to bandy words with me on the basis of some implied pseudo-exclusivity is a waste of both our time and is likely to gain you nothing.

Now where's that "let's have a beer" smiley? Ah, here it is... :toast2:

I'd say so, yes.

That's correct. I think it could be agreed by all that that is what we're both doing. What's more, as a Colts fan, discussion of the Colts re: the upcoming game is equally relevant, since it has to do with the Texans.

If you want to discuss your Texans without fans of other teams chiming in, it would probably go better for you to do so on a forum where fans of other teams aren't welcome (wherever that may be - I'm guess it's a pretty boring place if it exists at all).

I'm a member here and have the same privileges to discussion in this thread as anyone else - especially since it's about the upcoming game against the Colts.

Neither have I. I'm not sure if you're making a point here, but if you are I'm afraid I'm missing it.

Segregation is boring. If I wanted to listen to a bunch of Colts homers go on and on all week long about how we will crush you, I wouldn't have joined up here.

I disagree. See my above point - this is a forum to which a number of Colts fans are registered. By posting at all you've opened yourself willingly to comments from other members, be they Colts fans or not. If it's really that big of a problem for you, maybe you should put something at the end of all your messages like:
"This post is intended for fellow Texans fans only - comments or rebuttals by fans of other NFL teams are not welcomed."​

If you want to talk football w/ me that's fine - that's why I'm here - but I've got to stress that trying to bandy words with me on the basis of some implied pseudo-exclusivity is a waste of both our time and is likely to gain you nothing.

Now where's that "let's have a beer" smiley? Ah, here it is... :toast2:

Oh come on. Not the dissect the post game. :thumbdown

You're the one throwing out inane numbered lists. What is your problem with accepting point-by-point posts in turn? Can't take what you dish out?

I thought Texans fans had developed a thicker skin?

Or don't you have any argument for what I said?

You know what? My son is good at this game. I'll see if he wants to play along with you later.

You'll be gone Monday and I've got better things to do with my time.

Heck. What am I talking about? You won't even be back Sunday afternoon.

*scratches head*
Ummmm yes.... and I'm really not sure why you are trying to pimp that place either. If I were you, I would start pimping your soon to be new home - Lucas Oil Stop and Lube.

Oh God no, I'm not pimping that hole.

I merely mentioned that in response to the ludicrous rumor that the Colts pump artificial crowd noise through the PA. It's understandably loud as hell in there without such shenanigans.

Lucas Oil Stadium is coming along beautifully, though. It's a horrible name, but man that place is going to be awesome next year when it's complete.

You know what? My son is good at this game. I'll see if he wants to play along with you later.

You'll be gone Monday and I've got better things to do with my time.

Heck. What am I talking about? You won't even be back Sunday afternoon.

You know me so well. I'm glad you're so adept at figuring people out over the course of two threads on a message board in a single afternoon. It's a testament to your no-doubt staggering intellect. If your son is as smart as you claim, he'll likely be embarrassed when he logs on here and sees this mess.

Guys, can we please get back to the thread topic? We have a rivalry/ neener-neener forum for that stuff.

TMW, I appreciate your earlier attempt to identify for us several Pony players we've never heard of who will, in your opinion, rise to fill the void left by the off-season turnstile in Indianapolis. Hard to argue that anyone would miss Jason David about right now, but are you seriously contending that Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson comprise a top backfield in the NFL? Other than hype ("long-passer's worst nightmare," Jackson's "propensity for interceptions" evidenced by his grand total of 0 this season and 2 in his whole career), is there any on-field evidence to support that?

Not trying to be rude, but I have a feeling that any list of "worst nightmares" featuring Marlin Jackson probably wouldn't keep Schaub up at night. Dunta Robinson would, though. I believe he has as many INTs as your whole defense. And...Freddy Keiaho is your new star LB? I'm sure some around here are wondering, "who the ___ is Freddy Keiaho?" And before you give us the standard "Oh, you'll find out on Sunday!" reply, here's a link to the stats documenting his long career, featuring 25 whole tackles--20 all by himself!

So in a way, thanks. Wasn't so sure the Texans did have a chance without AJ, but after your introduction to those guys, I feel a lot better now. :winky:

:texflag:

Since everyone is adopting Texans I don't want it said that the Dread-Head couldn't get into the spirit of things so I too will adopt a Texan...'s Cheerleader. Preferably that redhead...whatshername?
:splits: That's right it's peanut butter jelly time! Peanut butter jelly time!" lol

Guys, can we please get back to the thread topic? We have a rivalry/ neener-neener forum for that stuff.

TMW, I appreciate your earlier attempt to identify for us several Pony players we've never heard of who will, in your opinion, rise to fill the void left by the off-season turnstile in Indianapolis. Hard to argue that anyone would miss Jason David about right now, but are you seriously contending that Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson comprise a top backfield in the NFL? Other than hype ("long-passer's worst nightmare," Jackson's "propensity for interceptions" evidenced by his grand total of 0 this season and 2 in his whole career), is there any on-field evidence to support that?

Not trying to be rude, but I have a feeling that any list of "worst nightmares" featuring Marlin Jackson probably wouldn't keep Schaub up at night. Dunta Robinson would, though. I believe he has as many INTs as your whole defense. And...Freddy Keiaho is your new star LB? I'm sure some around here are wondering, "who the ___ is Freddy Keiaho?" And before you give us the standard "Oh, you'll find out on Sunday!" reply, here's a link to the stats documenting his long career, featuring 25 whole tackles--20 all by himself!

So in a way, thanks. Wasn't so sure the Texans did have a chance without AJ, but after your introduction to those guys, I feel a lot better now. :winky:

:ohsnap:

Alright alright, sorry if I got a little snippy with ol' panther up there.

Some folks do rub me the wrong way, and it's not always just THEIR fault.

Your stats are sound - maybe the analysts ranking the Texans at #6 aren't the only ones with some excess zeal (Referring to myself).

However, I do believe you will be a little surprised. Keiaho is a stud and Hayden and Jackson are significantly better than David and Harper, as will become evident to you in a few short days.

But live it up now, please. ;)

However, I do believe you will be a little surprised. Keiaho is a stud and Hayden and Jackson are significantly better than David and Harper, as will become evident to you in a few short days.

But live it up now, please. ;)

Oh, yeah, definitely, your defense is very much better now. And iirc, the Titans got off easy because you had 2 of your starting lb's out.

But... I'm going to say this and you're going to laugh but...

We have no idea how good our offense is this year. It hasn't played more that 2.5 quarters, yet. Seriously. Our QB has only thrown 5 passes in the 4th quarter this year. (And he's completed all 5 of them.)
Our best running back only has 4 attempts in the 4th quarter so far because we've stuck in our 2nd string back to save the wear and tear on Ahman. In the second quarter, when it counts, Ahman is 12 attempts for 70 yards and a 5.8 yp and 5 first downs.

The Colts game should be the first game to really see what we have. We might not win it. The Colts are a great team. We're both better teams than we were last year. Don't expect a cakewalk.

maybe the analysts ranking the Texans at #6 aren't the only ones with some excess zeal (Referring to myself).

Winning the Lombardi Trophy always gives you reason for zeal. We're just glad this game's no longer only a pit-stop on Indy's way to the playoffs. I think this'll be a great game, AJ or no...Schaub will definitely have to adjust if some combination of Jones/Walter/Mathis/Davis is the best group of WRs Houston can put on the field. Jones in particular is super-fast and naturally talented, from what we saw in the preseason, but he's just playing in his 3rd real game and Lane College wasn't exactly an NFL atmosphere. (Thank God it's a home game.) But the MAIN difference between winning-Texans late-'06 and winning-Texans early-'07 has everything to do with Schaub's ability to react well in bad/worsening situations, and that makes me feel so much better about this game.

(...and I shouldn't have to tell you what I think the outcome will be...
:homer: )

Wow. You certainly seem sure about that.

That's cool and all... but... damn.

It's gonna hurt like a mofo when you see this thread again on Sunday night. We've heard this one before...not saying we're gonna kick Colt butt, just that this ain't your daddy's old Carr....

Ever been inside the RCA dome?

Piped-in noise... no way, man. It's a great big enclosed room full of drunken Hoosiers... how else would you expect it to sound?
I'm going to the game in Indy this year. I'm working about an hour east of Cincinnati and going to Cleveland, Tacks and Indy this year.

...The Colts game should be the first game to really see what we have. We might not win it. The Colts are a great team. We're both better teams than we were last year. Don't expect a cakewalk.

I believe that too. Maybe it's erring on the side of caution on my part but I enjoyed the K.C. game and then told myself to wait and see what happened against Carolina before I got excited. Then we beat Carolina like a drum and now I keep telling myself to wait and see what happens when we play the Colts. I keep trying to hold off on getting excited until the "other shoe" drops.

We know what Indianapolis can do. We've seen what they're capable of. They owned us completely right up the second game of last year and for all we really know they may still own us. This game will be great for the Texans because it will show us what we have against a well known, high quality, measurable opponent.

Sunday evening we'll know exactly how excited we should be.

So do you think we still have a chance against Indy?

Yes, we have a chance.
So far, no one can run on us, and we are creating turnovers.
We need to run, run, run the ball, and hit it deep every once in awhile.
Davis, Mathis, Jacoby can get deep.
Like always against the Colts, we must play near flawless, but I believe, yes, it can be done again.

"They can do all because they think they can." ~ Virgil

The team knows that they can beat Indy now. Last year was a clear signal that this is a different Texans team. I know this will be one tough game, and we will definitely be underdogs. But I still believe that we can win the game.

Yes, we have a chance.
So far, no one can run on us, and we are creating turnovers.
We need to run, run, run the ball, and hit it deep every once in awhile.
Davis, Mathis, Jacoby can get deep.
Like always against the Colts, we must play near flawless, but I believe, yes, it can be done again.

I think the key against the Colts is being able to identify when they're in their 7 man shell on defense and ramming it down their throats. Second, attacking them on the edges when Sanders is in the box. A lot of the success they had against the run in the playoffs was due to myopic offensive coaching. Teams were determined to run the ball against Indy and ignored what the Colts were doing on defense. Especially in the KC game, they just kept running right into the teeth of an 8 man front until they had 3rd and 9. My bet is Schaub will be schooled on little tells all week in order to decipher the presnap intentions of the Colts and audible appropriately... That'll be the game right there. Well, that plus whether we can make plays on defense and make their offense work and kick FGs.

Interesting assessment, T_C, but I think you're proliferating a common misconception about the Colts defense.

The "bunch of guys who left in the offseason" have all been replaced by bigger, faster, younger, more physical players who by all accounts (and certainly evident in the gameplay thus far) are better for our system and just plain more imposing than the players they've replaced.

Jason David and Nick Harper have been replaced by Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson - gone is the 10-15 yard cushion that was once allowed for opposing team's WRs. These guys are fast and physical - Jackson especially shows potential to become a long-passer's worst nightmare with his propensity for interceptions.

The run game against the Colts is a much more painful endeavor this year thanks to a revived linebacker corps lead by the veteran MLB Gary Brackett. Brackett is now joined by Rob Morris and the extremely hard-hitting (as in "putting RBs flat on their backs from a full-on run") Freddy Keiaho. Factor in Bob Sanders as the headhunter and the porous run defense of last year's regular season is truly a thing of the past.

It's OK though - if people are surprised by the veracity of our D, it's not a bad thing. :)

Potential. We are talking a lot of potential on both defenses.

Your team is different when it is not in your dome. The defense usually is much better because they can get an early jump because of all of the noise. Your defense traditionally has been very different when it doesn't get an early lead.

I do not believe in the Colts defense yet. Given the long time strength of your offense and The Peyton's pact with the devil, your defensive stats and play should be much better. I do like the way your team is coached, and you do a great job drafting and acquiring free agents that fit what you do.

I think that this game is going to show a lot of things.

I do not believe in the Colts defense yet.
I don't, either. They're a finesse defense. They were intimidated by Vince Young last Sunday. Once, Young lowered his shoulder into a Colt safety just to say, "I know you're afraid of me." On paper, there's no way Tennessee should be able to beat the Colts. But, the Titans were a dropped pass from a game winning FG attempt. And that's because they out hit the Colts in the 2nd half.

Thus far, the Texans have played two teams that are considered "physical". And they've whupped them both (whupped is a legitimate word here, Colt fans). Now, I don't know if the Texans will win this Sunday. But I do know that the Colts will realize that they were at a football game, and not a track meet, when they leave the field at Reliant.

Check out this game cast:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29091&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2006&week=REG16

Texans 27, Colts 24

Andre Johnson had 4 receptions for 48 yards and 0 TDs.

This was after the Texans did operation shutdown of the the passing attack. They were abused by the Patriots, and Carr had his bell rung badly in the Raiders game (not officially because nobody wants to admit concussions) and had no viable backup, so they played dink and dunk and run the ball all day.

Would I like AJ in the game?

Of course.

Does his presence on the field make it more difficult for defenders even if he doesn't catch the ball?

Sure it does.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Some things to think about:

From last 2006 game.........

*As you already, pointed out AJ 4 for 48 yds (the passing attack was evenly distributed to other receivers)

*Dink and dunk potential only

*Owen Daniels not in the the game

*No return game

*No punting game

*2 of 3 Colt TD's Manning to Harrison (8 for 112 yds)

*18 Colts running plays

*Colts run defense weak

*Manning reading newspapers in the pocket

*Going into the game, Texans not really knowing or even thinking they have a significant chance of beating the Colts

This upcoming game..........

*Multiple new compliment of WR's

*QB with short/mid/long pass potential

*Potential speedsters x 2 return game

*Long and precision place kicking punter

*Manning/Harrison still main focus

*Texans rushing defense scarey (besides the fact that Colts pattern of around 20 or less rushing plays likely as seen on last weeks Tacks game).........with the Texans' pass rush looking to be waking up and also becoming scarey, the Texans likely able to take advantage of Colts one dimensional game

*Manning throwing away his newspaper and purchasing extra butt pads

*Colts rush defense not looking much stronger

*Going into the game, the Texans knowing and thinking that they can defeat the "Giant."

There's a new SHERIFF in town..........and it ain't the Colts...........not in our town............Manning, you WILL meet our RAGING BULLS.........and they Will MEAT you.

:shots:

Here, Cloak. Have some more koolaid.

And tell us what you know about PCL sprains...

I'll try to be brief:

A posterior cruciate ligament injury is caused usually by a direct hit on the "shin bone" (tibia). In a "sprain," there is still some microtearing of the ligament. In a low grade injury labelled a sprain, there is usually NO KNEE JOINT INSTABILITY. There is minimal and short-lived swelling, stiffness and discomfort. Usually the knee is splinted in extension for about week with very early mobilization with quad and hamstring exercises........the strengthening of the quads is the most important part of the recovery. Without knowing exactly what grade of "low-grade" injury he really has sustained, it is difficult to prognosticate his return..........it could be any where from 1 week (very unlikely) to 4 weeks. After his MRI, we should hopefully gained additional truthful information.

I think they can. Let's see what the rest of the guys are made of.

Q-tip is still in there and he will be spreading the ball around. The WR's and Owens will need to step it up a notch. Green and Dayne can run on the colts. The defense will hopefully slow them down and special teams will help with field position. :whip:

Oh yeah and RELIANT IS GOING TO BE ONE LOUD STADIUM on SUNDAY.

I think they can. Let's see what the rest of the guys are made of.

Q-tip is still in there and he will be spreading the ball around. The WR's and Owens will need to step it up a notch. Green and Dayne can run on the colts. The defense will hopefully slow them down and special teams will help with field position. :whip:

Oh yeah and RELIANT IS GOING TO BE ONE LOUD STADIUM on SUNDAY.

just curiouis to why the nickname of Q-tip ??

yes, we have jacoby jones.

And yet JJ will once again be in the slot and Davis will be starting at the WR1 spot. Go figure. Eventually you're going to get it. This coach 1. picks players he knows over players with repataions. 2. Unless a stuation is at critical mass, he will always pick the vet over the rookie. As it should be there grass hopper.

Can they win ? Sure they can. Is it probable ? Everybody will pick agaisnt them in the national media. The Texans will try to run the ball and Indy will try to stop it with eight in the box. Indy will try to create as many turnovers as they can. The main hurt with the loss of Andre is not the TD production. He was the chain mover. He is our first down rain maker. And that probably directly led to his injury. So now, Kubiack is going to have to reach into his bag of tricks and find six plays that move the chains six times and sustain two long time consumming drives. We're better with overall depth. The Colts have all of their toys healthy this time. But there has been a general erosion of tallent on the Colts squad. Fletcher shutting down Gonzales in the slot will be a key to this game. I think if it was my Club, I give Shante Orr the start over Tony Ugoh. Also, the Colts coach responsible for getting Tony Ugoh up to speed this quickly after his senrior bowl performances deserves the assitant coach of the year honors. TBS, he had a great deal of trouble last week with Vanden Bosch, a quick footed speed rusher.

The bottom line is simply this: can we move the chains and can we get pressure straight up the middle on Manning ? He can't throw the ball if he's sitting on his keester. And can we move the chains without our rain maker ? The kiddos will have to take a giant leap forward to get it done. But they have the tallent to turn the NFL Gurus on their collective ears if they do it sunday. 3-0 to start off the year with a bloody nose for Peyton and the boys ? That there thingy is play off run territory my friends.

I'll try to be brief:

A posterior cruciate ligament injury is caused usually by a direct hit on the "shin bone" (tibia). In a "sprain," there is still some microtearing of the ligament. In a low grade injury labelled a sprain, there is usually NO KNEE JOINT INSTABILITY. There is minimal and short-lived swelling, stiffness and discomfort. Usually the knee is splinted in extension for about week with very early mobilization with quad and hamstring exercises........the strengthening of the quads is the most important part of the recovery. Without knowing exactly what grade of "low-grade" injury he really has sustained, it is difficult to prognosticate his return..........it could be any where from 1 week (very unlikely) to 4 weeks. After his MRI, we should hopefully gained additional truthful information.

Thank you for the post Doc. As always great post.

O.K. the kids need the targets, I'm looking at it as the glass half full. They are going to get their oportunty to prove that they belong on the NFL stage.
We may not win sunday but this oportunty for the young recievers to prove themselves can only help the club over all. Sooner or later if we want the play off run they are going to have to make plays. I had nothing against Keenan McCadrel. He is a great pro. But if we're going to go with the young guys they must have thier targets in live action. That includes Walter. Now they are going to get that oportunity in spades. If they make the leap Sunday we're a NFL jugernaut. If they don't, we be paitient with them untill they do get it.

And yet JJ will once again be in the slot and Davis will be starting at the WR1 spot. Go figure. Eventually you're going to get it. This coach 1. picks players he knows over players with repataions. 2. Unless a stuation is at critical mass, he will always pick the vet over the rookie. As it should be there grass hopper.

I was just watching the Panther game again and there's a great play that illustrates why this is the case.

Before the play starts, it looks like Schaub and Walter are having to help Jacoby get in the right position. Schaub goes back, 5 step drop. He's just about to release the ball and he doubleclutches, looks a bit confused for a split second, and then he throws the ball. Jacoby is flailing around trying to get to the ball but it falls incomplete.

I would almost be willing to bet that Jacoby was running the wrong route on that play. We're lucky that Schaub didn't throw to the spot that JJ was supposed to be at and get it picked off.

And that's why JJ's not WR2, yet. And that's why KW will be WR1 with AJ out. Guys have to be in the right places and Schaub has to be confident that they're going to be where they're supposed to be.

But... I'm going to say this and you're going to laugh but...

We have no idea how good our offense is this year. It hasn't played more that 2.5 quarters, yet. Seriously. Our QB has only thrown 5 passes in the 4th quarter this year. (And he's completed all 5 of them.)
Our best running back only has 4 attempts in the 4th quarter so far because we've stuck in our 2nd string back to save the wear and tear on Ahman. In the second quarter, when it counts, Ahman is 12 attempts for 70 yards and a 5.8 yp and 5 first downs.

The Colts game should be the first game to really see what we have. We might not win it. The Colts are a great team. We're both better teams than we were last year. Don't expect a cakewalk.

I certainly DO NOT expect a cakewalk!

In my mind the Texans of Olde are a thing of the past.

There is a reason I registered here but not on any Saints or Titans forums the last three weeks. I know this game will be the biggest challenge the Colts have faced so far - and probably will face for a few weeks after.

The thing is that I think a lot of Colts fans (at least, Colts fans that didn't become Colts fans sometime during the last 5 months) can really appreciate the maligned-underdog-becomes-a-winner thing you guys are going through right now. Your team, even with Carr under center, have always conducted themselves with some class when we've played them before. You never saw those late hits or personal fouls that a lot of other lesser teams (*cough* jaguars *cough*) would pull out of frustration when playing the Colts, so any animosity is replaced with some genuine enthusiasm to see you guys turn it around.

Besides, Texans fans usually behave themselves when they come here. That's nice.

I don't, either. They're a finesse defense. They were intimidated by Vince Young last Sunday. Once, Young lowered his shoulder into a Colt safety just to say, "I know you're afraid of me." On paper, there's no way Tennessee should be able to beat the Colts. But, the Titans were a dropped pass from a game winning FG attempt. And that's because they out hit the Colts in the 2nd half.

To be fair:

1.) Young lowering his shoulder into one of our safeties might have been to convey the message you said, but it just as likely could have been to say "Do you have any cookies? Me like cookies!"

2.) The Titans didn't lose by a meager 2 points because they out-hit our defense in the 2nd half. If that were true, they could have converted on the last play for a 1st down and gotten the chance for their miracle game-winning field goal.

No - they only lost by 2 because Vinatieri had an extra point blocked and muffed a 36-yard FG wide left, Dallas Clark dropped two important passes, and there was a blatant illegal contact not called on Reggie that otherwise could have resulted in 6.

Make no mistake - the Colts offense is the reason that game was so close. I don't mean to disrespect any Titans fans (they've got it bad enough already) but it was an off day for the Colts O and that is a fact.

To be fair:

1.) Young lowering his shoulder into one of our safeties might have been to convey the message you said, but it just as likely could have been to say "Do you have any cookies? Me like cookies!"

2.) The Titans didn't lose by a meager 2 points because they out-hit our defense in the 2nd half. If that were true, they could have converted on the last play for a 1st down and gotten the chance for their miracle game-winning field goal.

No - they only lost by 2 because Vinatieri had an extra point blocked and muffed a 36-yard FG wide left, Dallas Clark dropped two important passes, and there was a blatant illegal contact not called on Reggie that otherwise could have resulted in 6.

Make no mistake - the Colts offense is the reason that game was so close. I don't mean to disrespect any Titans fans (they've got it bad enough already) but it was an off day for the Colts O and that is a fact.

Hahaha. Yeah, I can believe that.

The thing is that I think a lot of Colts fans (at least, Colts fans that didn't become Colts fans sometime during the last 5 months) can really appreciate the maligned-underdog-becomes-a-winner thing you guys are going through right now. Your team, even with Carr under center, have always conducted themselves with some class when we've played them before. You never saw those late hits or personal fouls that a lot of other lesser teams (*cough* jaguars *cough*) would pull out of frustration when playing the Colts, so any animosity is replaced with some genuine enthusiasm to see you guys turn it around.

Besides, Texans fans usually behave themselves when they come here. That's nice.

Yeah, that's the problem with fairweather fans. They don't remember the long, lean years.

Have you heard, yet, if Morris and Keaiouaeio...uh... whatever... are playing this game?

I was just watching the Panther game again and there's a great play that illustrates why this is the case.

Before the play starts, it looks like Schaub and Walter are having to help Jacoby get in the right position. Schaub goes back, 5 step drop. He's just about to release the ball and he doubleclutches, looks a bit confused for a split second, and then he throws the ball. Jacoby is flailing around trying to get to the ball but it falls incomplete.

I would almost be willing to bet that Jacoby was running the wrong route on that play. We're lucky that Schaub didn't throw to the spot that JJ was supposed to be at and get it picked off.

And that's why JJ's not WR2, yet. And that's why KW will be WR1 with AJ out. Guys have to be in the right places and Schaub has to be confident that they're going to be where they're supposed to be.
EXCELLENT point. I remember that play. I must spread the rep....

I'm sure the Chiefs and Panthers are saying the same thing. It's an off day by the offense. It's not like the opposition's defense had anything to do with it.

Did Peyton just make a mistake with that interception, or was he forced to get rid of the ball early to avoid a safety? Did Vinatieri just have a bad kick, or did he rush because the Titans were getting penetration? The Colts could of put the game away with a 1st down around the 2 minute mark. But Manning called 3 pass plays without a single rush to eat the clock. Did he want to shoulder the burden, or did he just not trust his line could get a push up front?

The fact is, the Colts offense has had an "off day" for about 6 consecutive AFC South contests. Averaging a very un-Indy like 19 ppg. At some point you have to ask, "Maybe these guys are onto something?" I think that something is being very physical with the Colts offense.

I'm sure the Chiefs and Panthers are saying the same thing. It's an off day by the offense. It's not like the opposition's defense had anything to do with it.

Did Peyton just make a mistake with that interception, or was he forced to get rid of the ball early to avoid a safety? Did Vinatieri just have a bad kick, or did he rush because the Titans were getting penetration? The Colts could of put the game away with a 1st down around the 2 minute mark. But Manning called 3 pass plays without a single rush to eat the clock. Did he want to shoulder the burden, or did he just not trust his line could get a push up front?

The fact is, the Colts offense has had an "off day" for about 6 consecutive AFC South contests. Averaging a very un-Indy like 19 ppg. At some point you have to ask, "Maybe these guys are onto something?" I think that something is being very physical with the Colts offense.

The Titans played well, sure. Their D line was giving our O line problems throughout the whole game, but during that play that resulted in an interception, a Titans defender collided with Reggie about 10 yards out during his route and he very visibly pulled up expecting a penalty call that never came. That didn't have anything to do with Peyton having to release the ball too quickly.

He (Peyton) has a ridiculously fast release anyway - he doesn't need much time. If our offensive line was as easy to pressure as you seem to suggest, I think the recent history of our team would be very different.

Interesting assessment, T_C, but I think you're proliferating a common misconception about the Colts defense.

The "bunch of guys who left in the offseason" have all been replaced by bigger, faster, younger, more physical players who by all accounts (and certainly evident in the gameplay thus far) are better for our system and just plain more imposing than the players they've replaced.

Jason David and Nick Harper have been replaced by Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson - gone is the 10-15 yard cushion that was once allowed for opposing team's WRs. These guys are fast and physical - Jackson especially shows potential to become a long-passer's worst nightmare with his propensity for interceptions.

The run game against the Colts is a much more painful endeavor this year thanks to a revived linebacker corps lead by the veteran MLB Gary Brackett. Brackett is now joined by Rob Morris and the extremely hard-hitting (as in "putting RBs flat on their backs from a full-on run") Freddy Keiaho. Factor in Bob Sanders as the headhunter and the porous run defense of last year's regular season is truly a thing of the past.

It's OK though - if people are surprised by the veracity of our D, it's not a bad thing. :)

You know... I thought you really wanted to come here & talk some football, and was really feeling sorry about all the folks who have attacked you & the things you've said.... myself included.

But if you been dropping this canned crap on us as "real football talk" then I've got to say you deserve what you've been getting.

I don't know where you got this from, but it looks like some garbage a team would publish to ease any feelings a fan base may have about loosing key members of their team.

I'm insulted. I'm insulted that you have the gaul(sp) to think we may believe you replaced a guy like Cato June with a guy who is better than Cato June. Not only is he better, but he is sooooo much better, that it is apparent after two games.

Someone on this board is definitely delusional, and that somebody won't be wearing Deep Steel Blue come Sunday.

Much improved...

Didn't look much improved when Duece McCallister was running up the middle in week one. The only reason he didn't run for 150 yards was because they were playing catch up early in the game.

Didn't look much improved last week either, When Lendale (Pass the Donut) White was having the best game of his career.

You know... I thought you really wanted to come here & talk some football, and was really feeling sorry about all the folks who have attacked you & the things you've said.... myself included.

But if you been dropping this canned crap on us as "real football talk" then I've got to say you deserve what you've been getting.

I don't know where you got this from, but it looks like some garbage a team would publish to ease any feelings a fan base may have about loosing key members of their team.

I'm insulted. I'm insulted that you have the gaul(sp) to think we may believe you replaced a guy like Cato June with a guy who is better than Cato June. Not only is he better, but he is sooooo much better, that it is apparent after two games.

Someone on this board is definitely delusional, and that somebody won't be wearing Deep Steel Blue come Sunday.

Much improved...

Didn't look much improved when Duece McCallister was running up the middle in week one. The only reason he didn't run for 150 yards was because they were playing catch up early in the game.

Didn't look much improved last week either, When Lendale (Pass the Donut) White was having the best game of his career.

No one is 100% immune to kool aid, my friend. Not me, and certainly not you either.

You did not sit and watch the Colts play absolutely dismal defense from week one to week 15 last year, game after game. You also did not see a number of these "unproven" starters perform very well when called upon to play in the post season last year. Had they not, our post season would have ended in game 1 against KC and the "smash em in the mouth" LJ. It certainly wouldn't have held up against Baltimore, or NE, or the dual rushing attack of the Bears in the SB.

The difference between then (reg. season D) and now is obvious enough for a grade-schooler to identify.

As for your "real football talk" vs. my "canned crap" .... baseless. You've got to do better than that if you want to to alter my perception of you as anything but an irrational Texans homer. Maybe you don't care - neither do I.

For the record:

McCallister totalled fewer than 40 rushing yards in week 1. You are nuts. Make any excuse you want - citing 38 rushing yards against the Colts as evidence that their defense is porous does nothing to bolster your credibility.

Lendale White marched down the field for a grand whopping total of 64 yards last week. Hardly a career game. He beat that by 2 yards the previous week against Jacksonville's vaunted defense.

Come on, dude.

All I can say about all of this is that I've watched the Colts own the Saints who I am not in the least bit impressed with and beat the Titans by a couple of points. The Titans don't impress me much either.

In the meantime I've seen the Texans beat the very, very ordinary Chiefs and then win an impressive game against the Panthers who I don't know what to think about.

I can't wait for Sunday to see what happens. The Colts are the first undeniably excellent team we play this year. After the Colts game I'll know what I think about the Texans and our progress.

Very often Super Bowl teams (winners and losers both) tend to run into problems the following year. This happens a ton and I know this thought must have crossed some Colts fans minds prior to the season, particularly with the player turnover they've had. I was expecting them to struggle but I haven't seen it happen yet (unless you call a relatively ordinary effort against the Titans struggling, and I don't).

The Colts defense does not impress me much this year, thus far. Their offense is, as always a machine to be admired.

I just keep saying it over and over again. I can't wait for Sunday.

So, any news on AJ and if will play, probably still day to day, just thought I would see if anyone has heard anything new.

AJ himself said in the Chronicle today that he wasn't going to play Sunday. Taking it day to day and all that stuff. Said he would be the Texans biggest cheerleader on Sunday.

I have a feeling that in order for the Texans to win, Special Teams will have to come up big in the return game. Great Field position for the Texans and horrible position for the Colts, thats what the Texans need.

So, Mr. Turk, Mr. Jones and Mathis. As you country folk say, Get r' done.

Back