Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Do we stand a chance against Colts without AJ?

The only chance we have is to be physical with the Colts. Pound the defense with the run, using a controlled passing game, and beat the hell out of them on D.

The big key is our front 4. If they can pressure Manning, we can force him to dump the ball off. That's when you tee off on them!

It's what the Titans and Jaguars have done for years, and what the Texans did last December.

It's the only chance the Texans have.

I'm afraid to ask if all this talk regarding Pearl Harbor is a joke or not. :backsout:

Right? I'm a little sick to my stomach reading some of these post. . .If you all are going to be able to remember football stats like the back of your hand (this is not directed towards TC and the Animal House quote), you better be able to remember that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941, as President Roosevelt stated, "a date which will live in infamy".

i know, I know, :offtopic

Check out this game cast:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29091&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2006&week=REG16

Texans 27, Colts 24

Andre Johnson had 4 receptions for 48 yards and 0 TDs.

This was after the Texans did operation shutdown of the the passing attack. They were abused by the Patriots, and Carr had his bell rung badly in the Raiders game (not officially because nobody wants to admit concussions) and had no viable backup, so they played dink and dunk and run the ball all day.

Would I like AJ in the game?

Of course.

Does his presence on the field make it more difficult for defenders even if he doesn't catch the ball?

Sure it does.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

I laughed great line Steph. Classic.

Oh my god people go rent a movie now and again.

"hey, was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?"...to wit Otter turns to Boon and says..."German's?"...and Boon says to Otter..."forget it...he's on a role".

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?[/QUOTE]

My favorite part was when the boy was looking at the playboy and the girl flew through the window and the boy said ... thank you God .

I think that because it's a home game the crowd needs to be in their seats at kickoff and scream like a certain QB grabbing the Nair instead of the shampoo .

I think Jacoby and Mathis need to have big returns on special teams .

If the above happens and we're a + 3 in turnovers ... we'll win .

If they do win without AJ ... I will then predict an 11-5 season .

Hello TC ... glad your back .

The Colts beat down a finesse team on both sides of the ball the first game of the season, that will not happen to us. They were in a divisional dog fight at Tennessee and barely made it out alive, welcome to the AFC South for it is about to rise.

Injuries are something all teams have to deal with and is why the preseason does matter, especially for the bottom 38 players in respect to salary. I am confident someone will step up and am anxious to see who will be out for the Colts. I expect Boulware to make his first true impact on our season by getting in Manning's face.

The Texans are not scared, we are hot, we are executing and most importantly we believe. I like our chances with or without AJ.

I think so. Remember the key to beating the Colts is to get the lead and control the clock (running the ball). I would expect to see more of a runniong attack and for Jacoby to put some numbers up. Also, look for Owen to have a good game.

No lead is safe against the Colts, just ask the Patriots :shades:

the most important player next week will be Green.
the key to beat the colts is to run Green 20 - 30 times next week with long conservative drives & some play action to owens. Consume that clock, thats the key to beating the colts.
I dont think this will be a shoot-out, im thinking it will be a very low scoring game, at least, thats the way we game planed last year against them.

It's all about the game plan.

In that context,

Loss of AJ vs. upgrade of Schaub and Green

vs.

AJ with Carr and Dayne.

If AJ has to miss a game, this isn't a bad one and Schaub's presence more than makes up for his absence over last year's squad that won.

I'm just shocked that so many people missed the Animal House reference. I thought that was mandatory viewing or something.

for some reason, I can picture Jerome Mathis lined up in the slot on the right side, catching the ball on a quick slant, and taking it the distance. With AJ out, I can see the Colts not respecting our passing game and getting burnt by Davis, Jones, and Mathis, with Daniels and Walters moving the chains.

Nothing significant has changed on the Colts offense from last year, so our defense needs to play at the same level of intensity or better than it did the last time.

Only one thing - their LT retired and I think they're playing a rookie there instead. The Titans d-line got pressure on Manning - sacked him a couple of times.

We can win if our d-line can do as well or better than the Titans, and Green and Dayne run over them chewing up the clock.

Only one thing - their LT retired and I think they're playing a rookie there instead. The Titans d-line got pressure on Manning - sacked him a couple of times.

We can win if our d-line can do as well or better than the Titans, and Green and Dayne run over them chewing up the clock.

They also got an interception off of him.

I personally think that the defense will be the key to this game. I see our offense struggling a bit without AJ, but not to the extent that we lose the game because of it. I feel that it will be a close one, but our D is better than theirs, and you all know it.

I don't think the offense struggles...

Be prepared for a lot of dink and dunk - but also be prepared for alot of first downs and long clock draining drives.

I don't think the offense struggles...

Be prepared for a lot of dink and dunk - but also be prepared for alot of first downs and long clock draining drives.

My thought exactly.... Schaub is going to have to act more like Tom Brady and spread the ball around to everyone on the offense.

Can we win without AJ? Yes we can!:texflag:

If Tennesee only lost by a couple with a nonpassing QB and the crew of WR scraps they have, we should be able to beat the Colts.

Will it be easy? Nope.

Will I bet my house on a Houston win? Probably not.

But it's not impossible.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Ahman is on 610 and sounds pretty confident that they won't change the game plan much...

I think we have a legit shot at winning. Green was out of the Carolina game halfway thru the 3rd quarter, so he wasn't pounded on as much in garbage time and should be fairly fresh for the Colts. IMHO, that was a very smart, intentional move by Kubes. He knows that ball control is how you beat the Colts. I imagine we'll see 40-50 rushes this Sunday between all 3 backs. We'll run it down their throat, then throw it downfield when we catch them loading the box up too much. I like Jacoby Jones A LOT and Mathis has improved quite a bit, as well. If the activate Andre Davis this week, it could be pretty interesting. We aren't as predictable this year with our TE's, either. Schaub will hit any one of them if they're open.

I agree with Ole Miss Texan on this one. You guys are not giving Andre Johnson enough credit.

AJ had 7 catches, all the other WRs had 1. The reason AJ has more catches is because we throw him the ball more often, but the reason we throw him the ball more often is because he gets open more often.

We may have beat the Colts last year, but they didn't have Bob Sanders. If anyone has watched the Colts this year, I think it is a very safe bet to say Bob Sanders is playing the best defense of any NFL player right now. The Colts run defense is completely different with him in the game.

Whats the only way to get Sanders off the ball? Have guys like AJ stretch the defense.

I think if AJ is missing, its going to make it a lot harder for the other WRs and for our runnings backs to find space.

We can definitely still win this game, but I wish people wouldn't get so confident so early. They are the best team in the NFL.

I think we have a legit shot at winning. Green was out of the Carolina game halfway thru the 3rd quarter, so he wasn't pounded on as much in garbage time and should be fairly fresh for the Colts. IMHO, that was a very smart, intentional move by Kubes. He knows that ball control is how you beat the Colts. I imagine we'll see 40-50 rushes this Sunday between all 3 backs. We'll run it down their throat, then throw it downfield when we catch them loading the box up too much. I like Jacoby Jones A LOT and Mathis has improved quite a bit, as well. If the activate Andre Davis this week, it could be pretty interesting. We aren't as predictable this year with our TE's, either. Schaub will hit any one of them if they're open.

You can't run it down their throats when Sanders is playing. You can't run it down their throats if you get behind by more than 2 scores and its after halftime.

What happens if its 21 - 7 in the 3rd? Are we still going to run run run?

I would LOVE to see a 50 rush game, because it would mean we are protecting the lead. But if you get one dimensional, you better believe the other team is going to capitalize.

The colts defense is good this year. We can't right them off like last years defense

I didn't read through everyones post so excuse me if this is a repeat.

Though it hurts alot we have a shot due to what we did last year against them. 200 yards of rushing the ball. If we can control clock and do things like utilize Daniels, run some bubble screens with Jacoby..pretty much keep within ourselves then we have a chance. The problem is going to be that they have two WRs that are #1s. Whomever is on the side Dunta is not on will get beat at times and if the Colts put up points quick then it will be a problem. But there is always a shot.

But I think the thing we need to do in the passing game is do what they do with S. Smith with Jacoby. Get it in his hands short and let him run if he can.

Player Rec Yds Yds/Rec Long TD
Andre Johnson 14 262 18.7 77 3
Owen Daniels 6 72 12.0 14 0
Vonta Leach 6 29 4.8 9 0
Ahman Green 4 23 5.8 12 0
Jacoby Jones 2 33 16.5 26 0
Kevin Walter 2 17 8.5 10 0
Ron Dayne 1 10 10.0 10 0
Jeb Putzier 1 6 6.0 6 0

Per nfl.com

I wouldn't focus on the fact that AJ has all our receiving TD's after 2 games...My whole point is that AJ keeps drives alive by making first downs... I would suspect he would prolong at least 2 drives which would have a huge impact on our game plan of "keep the ball from peyton!"

Trivia Question (which I don't know yet, lol): How many of AJ's 14 catches this season have been for a 1st Down?

I am not concerned in the slightest. We will try to establish the run early. AG will likely get more carries against the Colts then he has in the previous 2 games. We will likely see more screens and dumps to the TE then we have as well. The Colt's, albeit there defense seems to have gotten better, are still a team with exploits. We proved it last year and we will prove it again this year. The secondary is the strength of the Colt's defense so AJ would have probably have made a couple of key plays in this game but I do not think he is detrimental to our success verses the Colt's.

My $0.02

You can't run it down their throats when Sanders is playing. You can't run it down their throats if you get behind by more than 2 scores and its after halftime.

What happens if its 21 - 7 in the 3rd? Are we still going to run run run?

I would LOVE to see a 50 rush game, because it would mean we are protecting the lead. But if you get one dimensional, you better believe the other team is going to capitalize.

The colts defense is good this year. We can't right them off like last years defense
There were a lot of IFS in my post.... the biggest being IF we can generate enough pressure on Manning to get him antsy. The Texans have been very successful this year in mixing up the play calling and getting some quick scores so they CAN sit on the lead. I agree that the Colts D is MUCH better than it was last year, but then again, so is OUR team as a WHOLE. With our D-Line getting good pressure up front, our secondary swarming the ball and laying some SERIOUS hits and our offense being directed by a good QB this game takes on such a different look that it'll be a toss up as to who wins. If we lose, I'll be OK with it as long as we were in the game for 4 quarters and gave it hell.

Let's not crown the Colts defense's behinds just yet.

The Colts played the Saints in their dome (NO is a team that is struggling and is probably not as good as the preseason predictions that account for the division they play in) and the Titans. They looked good against the Saints and non-good against the Titans.

Colts in their dome is not the same as the Colts on the road.

I have to say I am truly curious to see what the Texans system looks like with no AJ. Don't want to see that, but I'm curious to see what Schaub can do.

Ultimately....

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Okay, curiosity killed the cat...I looked it up :)

KC Game
Catch 1: 1st play of game 5 yd rec.
Catch 2: 15 yd 1st down rec. to KC 25
Catch 3: 77 yd TD rec.
Catch 4: 19 yd 1st down rec.
Catch 5: 2nd and 20, 6yd rec. (AJ Fumbles :scare: )
Catch 6: 9 yd 1st down rec.
Catch 7: 2nd and 12, 11 yd rec. (Dayne 1st down on 3rd and 1)

CAR Game
Catch 1 (voided): 13 yd 1st down rec. (Illegal formation i think on salaam, replay 3rd down)
Catch 1: 33 yd 1st down
Catch 2: 31 yd TD Rec.
Catch 3: 7 yd rec on 3rd and long, set up putzier 1st down on next play
Catch 4: 9 yd TD Rec.
Catch 5: 10 yd rec on 3rd & 17, set up 25 yd FG by Kris Brown at end of 1st half
Catch 6: 20 yd 1st down rec. to CAR 24
Catch 7 10 yd rec for 1st down on 3rd and 10

So to recap AJ's 14 Receptions:
3 for TD's
6 for 1st downs
1 to set up FG
2 to set up 3rd and short which were converted on next play (putzier/dayne)
1 5yd rec that had little effect
1 6yd rec which AJ fumbled

So AJ was KEY to converting 8 first downs, setting up 1 FG, and 3 TD's. Thats 12 of his 14 receptions!!!!

I'm a huge Jacoby supporter and Like Walter a lot more than most fans... but they are going to have to step up big time, while Green/Dayne/Gado have to have a huge game, and our Defense needs to keep doing what they are doing but against the 2nd best offense in the league. (Pats #1?) It can be done but we will have to play the best game of our NFL existence...I would then declare us playoff bound and that would really really excite me! lol

So AJ was KEY to converting 8 first downs, setting up 1 FG, and 3 TD's. Thats 12 of his 14 receptions!!!!

I'm a huge Jacoby supporter and Like Walter a lot more than most fans... but they are going to have to step up big time, while Green/Dayne/Gado have to have a huge game, and our Defense needs to keep doing what they are doing but against the 2nd best offense in the league. (Pats #1?) It can be done but we will have to play the best game of our NFL existence...I would then declare us playoff bound and that would really really excite me! lol

Thanks for looking it up.

What is interesting to me is how some people complained that in the preseason, Andre Johnson wasn't getting the ball enough. And then when the season started, bam.

Of course, it is easier for Jacoby Jones to get more open when AJ is also on the field with him, but it will be interesting to see if the sort of efficiency we saw with the non-AJ WRs in the preseason carries over to the regular season. Like the beginning of the Tampa Bay game.

Let's assume that the Texans are a really good team. (This isn't as much of a homer assumption as could seem--Pete Prisco's rating system gave both of the Texans wins high quality win marks). The Colts haven't played a really good team on the road yet. (Okay, you can say that the Titans are a really good team. I'm not sold on that yet. I believe that they are a quirky team that presents interesting matchup problems).

Last year, even when the Colts were going 9-0, they had a really easy early schedule, and many of the games they won were by very small margins.

I think Bob Sanders is great, and then there is Freeney, and then there is a bunch of guys who left in the offseason. The Colts defense depends on its offense to get up early and for opposing offenses to abandon the run when they get down and get one dimensional.

And to continue this discussion...

We gotta take these *******. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

:texans chick:

Personally, I think the best approach is to bust them in the mouth.

If there is one thing both the Saints and the Titans showed us, its that the Colts one big weakness in regards to their run defense is a big fat guy pounding it up the middle and smacking them in the mouth.

Reggie Bush looked awful
Chris Brown did terrible

Deuce looked ok and LenDale White moved the chains

So I guess we should be excited that Green is a between the tackles guy and Dayne is as fat as they come!

Thanks for looking it up.

What is interesting to me is how some people complained that in the preseason, Andre Johnson wasn't getting the ball enough. And then when the season started, bam.

Of course, it is easier for Jacoby Jones to get more open when AJ is also on the field with him, but it will be interesting to see if the sort of efficiency we saw with the non-AJ WRs in the preseason carries over to the regular season. Like the beginning of the Tampa Bay game.

Let's assume that the Texans are a really good team. (This isn't as much of a homer assumption as could seem--Pete Prisco's rating system gave both of the Texans wins high quality win marks). The Colts haven't played a really good team on the road yet. (Okay, you can say that the Titans are a really good team. I'm not sold on that yet. I believe that they are a quirky team that presents interesting matchup problems).

Last year, even when the Colts were going 9-0, they had a really easy early schedule, and many of the games they won were by very small margins.

I think Bob Sanders is great, and then there is Freeney, and then there is a bunch of guys who left in the offseason. The Colts defense depends on its offense to get up early and for opposing offenses to abandon the run when they get down and get one dimensional.

And to continue this discussion...

We gotta take these *******. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

:texans chick:

Personally, I think the best approach is to bust them in the mouth.
Are you related to my wife? She takes that same dang approach with me...Nice post, BTW

You're going to show up at the game inside a float that looks like a cake and conceals the "Death Mobile" aren't you.

Dibs on the Pirate costume and cardboard sword. I'm going to climb the side of the stadium, swing down from a banner and scoop up a Texan cheerleader.

I'll have to give her back of course. The wife would not be amused but she would understand that it had to be done if we were going to pull off a real "Animal House" tribute.

one big weakness in regards to their run defense is a big fat guy pounding it up the middle and smacking them in the mouth.

Haha, that's my new favorite strategy. For defense or offense...Smack 'em in the mouth.

gtexan02 said:
So I guess we should be excited that Green is a between the tackles guy and Dayne is as fat as they come!

I know you say that with love for the Dayne-Train. :devilpig:

You're going to show up at the game inside a float that looks like a cake and conceals the "Death Mobile" aren't you.

Dibs on the Pirate costume and cardboard sword. I'm going to climb the side of the stadium, swing down from a banner and scoop up a Texan cheerleader.

I'll have to give her back of course. The wife would not be amused but she would understand that it had to be done if we were going to pull off a real "Animal House" tribute.

I would so totally love to have a Texans Death Mobile. A friend of mine in college had a car that looked like the Death Mobile and it was totally sweet. Though hard to park in them skinny Reliant spaces though.

You have to go all AH when someone wonders if we are totally doomed because our grade point averages is 0.0 or we are on double secret probation or our stud Pro Bowl wide receiver has a knee injury of undetermined duration.

Any chance of getting a horse into Dungy's or Irsay's office??? We would get double top secret probation for it, but it'd be worth it!!!

I would so totally love to have a Texans Death Mobile. A friend of mine in college had a car that looked like the Death Mobile and it was totally sweet. Though hard to park in them skinny Reliant spaces though.

You have to go all AH when someone wonders if we are totally doomed because our grade point averages is 0.0 or we are on double secret probation or our stud Pro Bowl wide receiver has a knee injury of undetermined duration.

Well that pretty much does it then. We need a "Death Mobile".

I'll see what I can dig up. I'm thinking something early 70's that's not particularly collectible and that we can weld fins and assorted junk on. Texans logos on the side as opposed to greek letters. Steel Blue instead of black (but keep the teeth on the front and the "DEATHMOBILE" on the "turret". The turret needs to be the same shape as the movie one but heavily tinted plexi glass so it's driveable. I doubt we can keep it street legal but it could be possible.

Maybe removable plexi panels. One set clear so they're safe to drive around in and the other heavily tinted to get the movie look.

Interesting assessment, T_C, but I think you're proliferating a common misconception about the Colts defense.

The "bunch of guys who left in the offseason" have all been replaced by bigger, faster, younger, more physical players who by all accounts (and certainly evident in the gameplay thus far) are better for our system and just plain more imposing than the players they've replaced.

Jason David and Nick Harper have been replaced by Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson - gone is the 10-15 yard cushion that was once allowed for opposing team's WRs. These guys are fast and physical - Jackson especially shows potential to become a long-passer's worst nightmare with his propensity for interceptions.

The run game against the Colts is a much more painful endeavor this year thanks to a revived linebacker corps lead by the veteran MLB Gary Brackett. Brackett is now joined by Rob Morris and the extremely hard-hitting (as in "putting RBs flat on their backs from a full-on run") Freddy Keiaho. Factor in Bob Sanders as the headhunter and the porous run defense of last year's regular season is truly a thing of the past.

It's OK though - if people are surprised by the veracity of our D, it's not a bad thing. :)

I must admit that I am typing this with a cool-aide stained top lip, but after all of the games I have seen, there is truely something different with this team. Team is the important term there. I agree with most that AJ is the biggest threat on this team, but he is not the heart and soul of it. I'm not trying to be negitive, believe me I pass up every jersey in my closet on Sunday morning for my tattered #80. My point is that we look like a team this year. Although he is important, The team will game plan for his absence and if we are the team that everyone says than we will pull off the win. It will take about 70,000 fans on top of our players though. I sure wish I were there to do my part in disrupting Mannings audibles. The fans that showed up for the first game against Dallas showed how loud and disruptive our house can be. If our fans don't throw in the towel over AJ's absense than we can pull this off for sure. My two cents....:texflag:

lol the Animal House references in this thread are hilarious.

I've said since Training Camp that we would split with the Colts this year. This game is in our house. The ponies will not disrespect us in our house anymore.

Unlike the Flaming Meatballs, our QB won't run around in the pocket like his hair is on fire and crumble like a cracker on the last play of the game. Also, our team won't get punked like the Religious Dieties over in Swamp Gas Corners either.

We take this one.

The Colts will probably get us in the house of piped in crowd noise. However, they won't punk us in our backyard.

Defense wins Championships baby. Let Johnson rest up if he needs it. As long as the Dunta can hold Marvin Harrison Mr. Manning will have to contend with the Lawfirm of Willimans, Okoye, & Ryans. This one isn't a lock without Andre, but the Texans can win without him.

I think if we have a good pass rush we have a chance and against indy we have green and dayne... we have to rush a lot... :cowboy1:

lol the Animal House references in this thread are hilarious.

I've said since Training Camp that we would split with the Colts this year. This game is in our house. The ponies will not disrespect us in our house anymore.

Unlike the Flaming Meatballs, our QB won't run around in the pocket like his hair is on fire and crumble like a cracker on the last play of the game. Also, our team won't get punked like the Religious Dieties over in Swamp Gas Corners either.

We take this one.

Wow. You certainly seem sure about that.

That's cool and all... but... damn.

It's gonna hurt like a mofo when you see this thread again on Sunday night.

The Colts will probably get us in the house of piped in crowd noise. However, they won't punk us in our backyard.

Ever been inside the RCA dome?

Piped-in noise... no way, man. It's a great big enclosed room full of drunken Hoosiers... how else would you expect it to sound?

There is a smack talk forum so everyone, please take any smack urges over there.

I really have no urge to do so. This is a nice forum and I really just wanted to talk a little football, that's all.

At the same time, the "They will not disrespect us in our house" stuff seemed a tad premature and did cause a chuckle.. :)

Back