Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Deshaun Watson after 16 games

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Watson's inaccuracy yesterday bothered me. He threw several uncatchable passes when he wasn't trying to throw the ball away.

edo783

Hall of Fame
With the issues we are having with player health, I very much doubt we get past game one. Fuller, Qt and at least one corner healthy, we could possibly drive the bus home. Now.......... Very doubtful.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Watson's inaccuracy yesterday bothered me. He threw several uncatchable passes when he wasn't trying to throw the ball away.
Im not sure what you more you want him to do but I’m guessing you’re not following his numbers too close.

Watson is top 5 in the entire NFL in accuracy % at just over 68%. Hes top 4 in overall rating. He’s been on an accuracy ascension the last 12 games. The kid is playing fantastic

corry

Waterboy
Watson almost beat the reinvigorated defending champs at home with a supporting cast of.....

Deandre Hopkins on one leg
Deandre Carter(Practice Squad Player)
V Smith(Practice Squad Player)
Alfred Blue(should be on a practice squad, but I maintain he has some black mail on BoB)
Two rookie TE's who could barely beat DJ Reader in a 40 yard dash
and a RB on one achilles(played WR a few snaps)

This QB the Texans lucked in to last year will be a legend.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
Watson is going to win this franchise a lot of superbowls !!!! We're set at one of the toughest spots to fill with Watson, we have Hopkins, fuller, watt and Clowney. Now we can focus on oline, a stud RB and secondary. This team will be a dynasty !

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Enjoy it while you can... it's probably one and done
Yep. Probably lose to the Colts in the first round.

I'm not worried about Watson. He's the only reason to watch the game until the end. Kid has definitely got what it takes, but it takes an entire franchise to get to a SB, and I'm not convinced this franchise will ever have it at this point.

Unfortunate that a great comeback yesterday was failed by this overrated defense. Hope they upgrade the o-line and WRs in the offseason instead of overpaying one defensive player. . .

corry

Waterboy
Fans should really look at the colts and Andrew Luck to see what a serious investment in the o-line can do for your qb.

O-line has to absolutely be the 1st,2nd and 3rd priority for this team next year.
They aren't winning a championship without a good corner.

They are giving up way too many big plays at this juncture.

Romeo's scheme is still creating TO's, but the Texans don't have the secondary to get off the field consistently or create coverage sacks for our D-Line.

I would try and see if a trade could be made for Khris Boyd or Byron Murphy in the first.

You can get a first round talent at the end of the first or early second for OT which is relatively deep.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Fans should really look at the colts and Andrew Luck to see what a serious investment in the o-line can do for your qb.

O-line has to absolutely be the 1st,2nd and 3rd priority for this team next year.
What priority do you think they put on it last offseason? Chased Solder, drafted a tackle, brought in three new starters.

So next year we're going to... what? Clone Joe Staley, do a little illegal tampering? Wish really, really, really hard?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Romeo's scheme is still creating TO's, but the Texans don't have the secondary to get off the field consistently or create coverage sacks for our D-Line.

I would try and see if a trade could be made for Khris Boyd or Byron Murphy in the first.

You can get a first round talent at the end of the first or early second for OT which is relatively deep.
They are close enough to trade for a get cb and draft OL. This doesn't even take into account the fa market which isn't particularly good this year.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

They are close enough to trade for a get cb and draft OL. This doesn't even take into account the fa market which isn't particularly good this year.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
What priority do you think they put on it last offseason? Chased Solder, drafted a tackle, brought in three new starters.

So next year we're going to... what? Clone Joe Staley, do a little illegal tampering? Wish really, really, really hard?

1st round draft pick obviously...probably 1 of the 2nds too.

A solid...good to great left tackle would improve this o-line by leaps and bounds.

Last edited:

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
72.5 completion percentage is inaccurate? He was also 8.5 Y/A in that game. Watson is the reason the game was as close as it was. The defense laid an egg in the passing game.

bigmck

Rookie
That last drive by the Eagles was enough to make me cry. Do you think those kind of drives are the way things are in the NFL instead of poor defense since you can't touch the Receivers or the QB without a Flag being thrown. There seems to be less and less defense in the league, much like the NBA.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Deshaun Watson needs one touchdown pass to extend his streak to 21 consecutive games with a touchdown pass. His streak of 20 consecutive games with a touchdown pass is currently the second-longest in the NFL.

Watson has a QB rating of 114.3 outside the pocket which puts him 3rd behind Winston and Wentz.
Watson has a QB rating of 102.2 inside the pocket which puts him 2nd behind only Mahomes.
Watson when pressured has a rating of 91.5 which puts him 2nd behind only Matt Ryan.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That last drive by the Eagles was enough to make me cry. Do you think those kind of drives are the way things are in the NFL instead of poor defense since you can't touch the Receivers or the QB without a Flag being thrown. There seems to be less and less defense in the league, much like the NBA.
If your asking if the NFL is rigged the answer is yes. A penalty can be called on almost any play. Ever notice how often a team will get off to a 14-17 pt lead and then the flag fest begins? Gotta keep those games close to the spread. Check it out on Sunday in many games and tell me what you think.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Deshaun Watson needs one touchdown pass to extend his streak to 21 consecutive games with a touchdown pass. His streak of 20 consecutive games with a touchdown pass is currently the second-longest in the NFL.

Watson has a QB rating of 114.3 outside the pocket which puts him 3rd behind Winston and Wentz.
Watson has a QB rating of 102.2 inside the pocket which puts him 2nd behind only Mahomes.
Watson when pressured has a rating of 91.5 which puts him 2nd behind only Matt Ryan.
Yep, he's special.

Imagine what he could do with a consistently clean pocket instead of being the most pressured QB in the NFL.

Max

Veteran
Yep, he's special.

Imagine what he could do with a consistently clean pocket instead of being the most pressured QB in the NFL.
Better, no doubt. But I have a bad feeling that BOB wants to make him a pure pocket passer if/when the OL improves and take the mobility portion of Watson's game out. I think it's the biggest difference between last years O w/ Watson and this years (BOB trying to keep him in the pocket). Many/most of the 'outside the pocket' #'s posted by Uncle Rico for this year aren't by design -- it's Watson ad libbing and last year we had many more designed rollouts. I still think Watson will be a great QB as a pocket passer behind a good OL, but I think he (and the team) are best mixing in the rollouts and designed runs. And I'm more concerned about him getting hurt in the pocket behind a poor OL than on the move where he can see defenders coming.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
If your asking if the NFL is rigged the answer is yes. A penalty can be called on almost any play. Ever notice how often a team will get off to a 14-17 pt lead and then the flag fest begins? Gotta keep those games close to the spread. Check it out on Sunday in many games and tell me what you think.
Not really. Could you please provide some kind of link to a stat or analytic based observation?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Better, no doubt. But I have a bad feeling that BOB wants to make him a pure pocket passer if/when the OL improves and take the mobility portion of Watson's game out. I think it's the biggest difference between last years O w/ Watson and this years (BOB trying to keep him in the pocket). Many/most of the 'outside the pocket' #'s posted by Uncle Rico for this year aren't by design -- it's Watson ad libbing and last year we had many more designed rollouts. I still think Watson will be a great QB as a pocket passer behind a good OL, but I think he (and the team) are best mixing in the rollouts and designed runs. And I'm more concerned about him getting hurt in the pocket behind a poor OL than on the move where he can see defenders coming.
Look at a seasoned Steve Young as the blue print for what BOB wants. A pocket passer who progresses thru his reads and runs as a last resort. Right now Watson is looking at his 1st and maybe 2nd option then takes off running. Just like a young Young used to do. Hopefully he can grow as the OL gets better and he learns more about the game.

Max

Veteran
Look at a seasoned Steve Young as the blue print for what BOB wants. A pocket passer who progresses thru his reads and runs as a last resort. Right now Watson is looking at his 1st and maybe 2nd option then takes off running. Just like a young Young used to do. Hopefully he can grow as the OL gets better and he learns more about the game.
I hope you're right concerning the part about what BOB wants. He needs to know what he has and change the plan accordingly instead of asking his players to conform to the plan. Steve Young would be a great mold to cast him in - I'm concerned he's trying to cast him in TB's.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I wish there was an offensive coordinator to bring in. Some type of QB guru. Someone that would mesh with OB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So one game? That's your basis?
Not just the Texans games look league wide.

Also take into account the season as a whole. Look at teams that jump out to big leads in the 1st qtr and see how much they get penalized on their 3rd drive. Particularly if the team that's trailing is still sitting on 0.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Not just the Texans games look league wide.

Also take into account the season as a whole. Look at teams that jump out to big leads in the 1st qtr and see how much they get penalized on their 3rd drive. Particularly if the team that's trailing is still sitting on 0.
You just repeated your initial claim ... and so I'll repeat my response ... 'Could you please provide some kind of link to a stat or analytic based observation?'

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I hope you're right concerning the part about what BOB wants. He needs to know what he has and change the plan accordingly instead of asking his players to conform to the plan. Steve Young would be a great mold to cast him in - I'm concerned he's trying to cast him in TB's.
Well I will say that the Texans OL looks more like TB's OL than the 49ers OL. So that could be a big part of the problem and even after joining the 49ers it still took Young a couple of yrs to learn how to wait and progress thru his progressions. This was with the greatest QB HC in NFL history IMHO training him. So there will still be a learning curve for Watson even after the OL is improved. It's a natural evolution for a QB with that style of play. Some like Young learn, some like Vick dont. If I had to bet I would bet Watson is more like Young than Vick since he's a film junkie by all accounts.

bigmck

Rookie
Nah, I do not see the NFL having the Refs fixing the games. When a few retired, it would get out. People just can't keep their mouth shut.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You just repeated your initial claim ... and so I'll repeat my response ... 'Could you please provide some kind of link to a stat or analytic based observation?'
Like I said before, go to CBS Sports.com/Football and check out the play by play section of all NFL games in situations that I described and draw your own conclusions. It's going to take a little time on your part but you will see what I'm talking about. Or maybe you will draw a different conclusion. If you do let me know and we can discuss it.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
BoB has gone on record as not only encouraging DW4 to use his legs, he calls plays for him to run; mostly in the red zone, but they do get called. So your premise doesn’t quite line up with what actually is said and happening.

Someone said it in another thread, but I think BoB’s main tutelage with Watson is getting him to control his playmaking which at times can be a little reckless. Early in the year we saw DW4 make some head scratching throws and even right now he tends to hold the ball a little too long unwilling to give up on plays... which result in sacks.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
If that were the case why did Bob run through all of the pocket statue backup QBs this league has to offer? actually NEVER going for a mobile QB until Watson was thrust upon him.

want to get sick to your stomach? Guess who was Steve Youngs QB coach? LOL :kubepalm:

Max

Veteran
BoB has gone on record as not only encouraging DW4 to use his legs, he calls plays for him to run; mostly in the red zone, but they do get called. So your premise doesn’t quite line up with what actually is said and happening.

Someone said it in another thread, but I think BoB’s main tutelage with Watson is getting him to control his playmaking which at times can be a little reckless. Early in the year we saw DW4 make some head scratching throws and even right now he tends to hold the ball a little too long unwilling to give up on plays... which result in sacks.
Do you have a link for BOB on record? No doubt that he's called some running plays this year. Last week in particular but all in the first half. It looked like last year in the first half -- rollouts and all. It's what I said in the game day thread -- why did we stop? That game is the best example I can give of what I'm trying to say. I really thought BOB figured out that this is what we needed to do to be successful w/ this OLine because we ran this offense the entire first half but then we were right back to trying to keep him in the pocket the 2nd half. I don't have an explanation for it other than square peg in round hole hoping it eventually works.

So Watson just completed his 16th game - basically that wraps up his rookie season. Yeah, I know. It doesn‘t work like that. He had 2 training camps and almost two years with the team and the coaches. But it‘s still interesting to look at the stats for his first 16 games:

4088 total yards, 36 TDs, 15 INT, 63,6%, 49 sacks, 537 rushing yards, 3 rushing TDs, 10 fumbles (3 lost). Passer rating: 101,7. 9-7 WL (he only played half of the first game, which was basically already lost).

Impressive. Especially if you count those almost 50 sacks in there as well.
I know the O-line is piss poor but of those 49 sacks how many were due to DW refusing to give up on a play only to take a needless sack. Yes he did break out of some pressure it seemed there was no way he could do so and made some big plays but I would rather he take the sack or throw the ball away when nobody is open and the pressure is all around him. Bad things tend to happen more than good when the Qb refuses to give up.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
DW4 is a risk/reward guy. He makes the standard plays when he gets protection so already a stud, then we put up with the amazing and absurd when he extends. In general, his add libbing gives us more than it takes, and I dont see those long lobs to the end zone that are 30/70 balls anymore we saw early in the season. I love the kid, and hope we keep the ad libbing in his game. As his receivers get used to it (and stay healthy), more big plays than busts will occur

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If that were the case why did Bob run through all of the pocket statue backup QBs this league has to offer? actually NEVER going for a mobile QB until Watson was thrust upon him.

want to get sick to your stomach? Guess who was Steve Youngs QB coach? LOL :kubepalm:
Fitz wasn't mobile?

Hoyer wasn't mobile?

Kubiak was a great OC/QB coach, an avg HC sorta like I look at BOB. This season for the Texans praralells with the 12-4 Kubiak season. Both HC's did great jobs with talent deficient teams.

bigmck

Rookie
Nah, I do not see the NFL having the Refs fixing the games. When a few retired, it would get out. People just can't keep their mouth shut.
Fitz wasn't mobile?

Hoyer wasn't mobile?

Kubiak was a great OC/QB coach, an avg HC sorta like I look at BOB. This season for the Texans praralells with the 12-4 Kubiak season. Both HC's did great jobs with talent deficient teams.
Let me add another parallel, Kubiak's team lost the last 3 out of 4 and OB's has lost 2 of 3............I can't continue.