Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Demeco Ryans’ Staff

I said it around the time Demeco was hired that if they were going to the San Francisco style offense (Kubiak/Shanny) that the Oline coach needed to be very experienced in that type of offense. I don't know Warhop's past coaching experience, but Strausser has instructional videos on the ZBS: https://www.championshipproductions...nside-and-Outside-Zone-Schemes_FD-03000C.html

Strausser has a really good background with ZBS: https://gohuskies.com/staff-directory/chris-strausser/307

Based on what I've read I really think this was a good hire.

Here are all of his lectures just fyi: https://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/auth/2238/Chris-Strausser.html?id=HFm9IFeLLIJL

Good stuff

Thanks for sharing with us.

Definitely ZBS...Kubiak was one of the most fervent Shanny disciples. When we finally lucked into Foster, that system was a thing of beauty. Until that fateful day in Tampa Bay...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Miami, I was at that game.

Now if we have or can get the right players.. center is a focal point IIRC? Chris Myers undersized but did pretty well but I cannot recall if that was a ZBS in 2008?
I'm liking Luke Wypler as a good fit. 2/33 would be a reach, but he may be there at 3/64. I'd seriously consider trading up into the the second to get him.

I'm not really understanding Crumpler's claim "Bobby Slowik brings the hottest offensive scheme in football "
From what I am hearing Slowik has never called plays. He's undoubtedly very intelligent from all sources, but his call playing experience makes me somewhat empirically uncomfortable, especially under a defensive HC. I guess time will tell.

From what I am hearing Slowik has never called plays. He's undoubtedly very intelligent from all sources, but his call playing experience makes me somewhat empirically uncomfortable, especially under a defensive HC. I guess time will tell.
I think that was an unavoidable risk when we went with a defensive head coach. The NFL is enamored with offense so there just aren’t gonna be many experienced and successful play callers waiting to take your OC job. We could have gone like Anthony Lynn or Kingsbury but I’d rather take a chance on a guy like Slowik than a proven mediocre guy.

Now if we have or can get the right players.. center is a focal point IIRC? Chris Myers undersized but did pretty well but I cannot recall if that was a ZBS in 2008?
You know what? Justin Britt might actually be a good Center if we switch to the ZBS.

You know what? Justin Britt might actually be a good Center if we switch to the ZBS.
After his ACL surgery and over a year off, he continued to have progressive knee problems as well as compensatory ankle problems. You have to have decent knees and ankles just to walk well...........playing center well will not be an option.

Speaking of centers.........your QB's worst nightmare is the rush up the middle, whether he gets sacked or not. Last year, when the Texans went with Quessenbery, Mills didn't have a prayer.:

Justin Britt went on a sabbatical after week one and left Scott Quessenberry to hold down the fort for the rest of the season. Quessenberry was the worst rated center in the NFL. That doesn’t even do it justice. The 35th ranked center scored a 51.3 PFF overall grade. Quessenberry slid in at 36.6. This includes an absolution abysmal 25.8 pass blocking grade. 90.2 was the league high in that category with nearly a third of the league garnering 70.0 or more. 26 of the 36 guys scored 60.0 or better in pass blocking. The Texans need a new center and there really is no getting around it.
LINK

After his ACL surgery and over a year off, he continued to have progressive knee problems as well as compensatory ankle problems. You have to have decent knees and ankles just to walk well...........playing center well will not be an option.

Speaking of centers.........your QB's worst nightmare is the rush up the middle, whether he gets sacked or not. Last year, when the Texans went with Quessenbery, Mills didn't have a prayer.:

LINK
Ahhhh...that's the first I've heard of that. I didn't realize he was actually battling an injury. I thought he just gave up because he knew he couldn't hang with the young boys anymore.

LINK

Crazy to think Q and Pocic signed the same 1 year vet minimum contract last season. Way better value for the Browns.

Ahhhh...that's the first I've heard of that. I didn't realize he was actually battling an injury. I thought he just gave up because he knew he couldn't hang with the young boys anymore.
I don’t know why he was kept around so long.. such transparency..

Up and comer, Pop lost his job with Patriots because he refused mandatory vaccination requirements for Tier 1 employees. He worked directly under the great Dante Scarnecchia for three years.

Was supposed to be Scarnecchia’s successor:

Two years ago Popovich was Bill Belichick's choice to replace long-time offensive assistant Dante Scarnecchia. But when the NFL implemented safety guidelines that mandated all tier-1 employees to get vaccinated - coaches, front office personnel, equipment managers and scouts - Popovich instead quit the Patriots.

No. Foster went down with the Achilles in Miami. I too was at that game. I remember because we were suffering an embarrassing blowout loss, with Lamar Miller looking like a HOF rb.
I was talking about when Schaub went down in TB, which effectively sent him on his decline and ultimately ushered in the end of that Era and our quick playoff exits in 2011 and 2012.

Should have indicated I was talking about Schaub and not Foster.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Two years ago Popovich was Bill Belichick's choice to replace long-time offensive assistant Dante Scarnecchia. But when the NFL implemented safety guidelines that mandated all tier-1 employees to get vaccinated - coaches, front office personnel, equipment managers and scouts - Popovich instead quit the Patriots.
Solid acquisition nonetheless…

Believe Bobby was writing play calls for his dad Bob (when he was Bears DC) in grade school leaving them on nightstand.

Proven? Heck no
Innate football coaching coursing through his veins? probably
Don’t think DeMeco would trust Slowik if didn’t blow him away and counter every play Ryan’s could throw @ him from defensive front in simulations.
Fresh, new approach nobody’s going to know what to expect, which should work in Texans favor.

LINK
We need to get OC correct. I like Ethan Pocic 6 feet six inches 320 pounds PFF 79 overall for 2022.

First one I don't like. **** anything to do with the Popovich Family. And he's part of the Patriots too? Good God. We can't get rid of this cancer if we keep importing cells from it!

We need to get OC correct. I like Ethan Pocic 6 feet six inches 320 pounds PFF 79 overall for 2022.
He seems quite big compared to Chris Myers (6-4 286lbs), is this ZBS now evolved to use more power? Or was Myers an outlier?

With Barrett being retained as RB coach it appears Shane Day might be the only offensive coach that Slowik has experience working with previously? Definitely diversity in staff. Offensively, they have the older experienced coaches in Strausser, Barrett, Day, Mcdaniels and Moreland. Along with the younger rising coaches in Slowik, Johnson and Popovitch.

Only thing I would have liked to have seen is to get a former HC in a senior role like the Panthers did with Caldwell. Would be great if Kubiak would come out of retirement for such a role! Someone who has done it before (successfully) and can tell DeMeco where he should be focusing week to week and game to game. EX: Don’t micromanage one side of the ball and do something silly like let 30 seconds run off the clock before calling a timeout in a hurry up situation.

He seems quite big compared to Chris Myers (6-4 286lbs), is this ZBS now evolved to use more power? Or was Myers an outlier?
Pocic is taller than normal for a center but has the movement skills needed for the role.
Keep in mind how much bigger Dlinemen have gotten since Myers played (last year with the Texans, 10 years ago.........first year with the Broncos, 18 years ago).

Keep in mind how much bigger Dlinemen have gotten since Myers played (last year with the Texans, 10 years ago.........first year with the Bron
I don't think there's anyone bigger than Kris Jenkins, who absolutely mauled Myers in a season opener against the Jets.

I don't think there's anyone bigger than Kris Jenkins, who absolutely mauled Myers in a season opener against the Jets.
Now you're looking at exceptions. Dl in the periods I mentioned were no where Jenkin's size typically, nor as strong. Over his time with the Texans, Chris Myers had great run blocking grades.........but definitely had very suspect pass blocking grades.

can you tell us about his injury history?

Also he did play between 2 pro bowl OG's. He would be playing with lesser talent around him.
In 2019, he sustained a back muscular strain and was out for a while. When he returned, he was found to have a sports hernia for which he underwent surgery the beginning of the 2020 offseason. In 2021, he sustained a grade II MCL and placed on IR. He return to play after 4 weeks (mandatory), despite the fact that he was ready to go by 3 weeks. Mid December last year, he suffered a grade II MCL with the IR mandatory time out of 4 weeks (again, he was ready to return by 3 weeks had he been allowed). I'd say he has been quite durable.

Back