Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills vs rookie QBs

Ted Johnson (@Teddyjradio) on 610 yesterday: “Davis Mills was linked to the Patriots. A lot of people think that Bill Belichick really didn’t want to take Mac Jones in the first round. If anything, he wanted to wait at least until the second round. But he would’ve been just as happy taking Davis Mills in the third round. But there was pressure, I have heard maybe from ownership, that forced Bill to get Mac in the first round. But word is, he really liked Davis Mills. And when you watch how he played against the Patriots, how can you not like that kid. There’s just something, he’s just smooth. There’s a poise and smoothness to his game that is pretty fun to watch, man. I think there’s something there with that kid.”

[Ted Johnson is well-embedded in Patriots affairs}

My thoughts are that we need to protect the QB whoever that may be, I am leaning toward Mills for 2022 season. So I really would prefer a left tackle, then a great defensive back and then a defensive end. I really believe that we can pick up a serviceable running back in the third round. Maybe pick up a QB in the later rounds, if at all. I think that this rebuild is going to be quick and exciting.
Especially if Mills turns out to be a starter/keeper.
First though, we have to find out if he is that guy by building a team around him.
You're in a rebuild anyway right?

Get the best RT and the best OG in the 1st 2 rds then your OL will be solid. Find a RB in FA. I like Johnson from Cleveland Mack Indy and Jeff Wilson 49ers. They all should come cheap. Then add a RB in FA.
Isn't Martin still our C? From all accounts, he is not very good.
I'm like strongman C Tyler Linderbaum...
We definitely need a lot of work on our Oline and RB corp.

This has been my thinking. Fix the offense so we can control the game clock and we help the defense.

Use top picks on OL'men, then use our 3's on defense. I figure a good RB can be picked up in the 5th (no, I don't think we have a 5) 6th round, maybe use a 4.

We have too many holes to address, both offensively and defensively. It looks like we ended up with the 3rd pick, a perfect position to generate interest for trading back. If we can get another 2 for trading back to about 8, I'd be all for it. I'd use this second 2 on a defensive player. Work the draft to get the most value for both sides of the ball, just make sure we get the two OL'men we like the best.
Fixing the offense is key.
The better the offense, the more we control ToP.
Three and outs are demoralizing for your D.

I don’t because it’s the NFL. Do you guys know how many quarterbacks that Tom Brady has outplayed throughout his entire career? I mean what round was he drafted?
Then how many 1st rounders were bust? Starting it off with J. Russell. Number one pick coming out of LSU.
Round 6.
Brady is the all-time outlier - I am not aware of any other QB pick selected that deep in the draft even starting.
Some selected outside the first round have been very good - Russell Wilson comes to mind in the 3rd.

Round 6.
Brady is the all-time outlier - I am not aware of any other QB pick selected that deep in the draft even starting.
Some selected outside the first round have been very good - Russell Wilson comes to mind in the 3rd.

Depends on how far back you want to go.

Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Jake Delhomme, Jeff Garcia, and Warren Moon weren't drafted at all.

Matt Hasselback was a 6th rounder like Brady. Bart Starr was drafted in the 17th round (but there were a lot fewer teams back then). Trent Green was drafted in the 8th round. Johnny Unitas was in the 10th round.

OK I got curious.

Trey Lance had a decent game: 16/23; 249 yds; 10.8 avg (very good); 2 TD; 1 INT; 1 sack; rating 116

Mills certainly below his better games: 21/32; 163 yds; 5.1 avg; 1 TD; 1 INT; 3 sacks; rating 75.4.

SF certainly out played the Texans and had pressure on Mills, shutting off the downfield throws.

Still, for me, the purpose of tracking Mills' stats were to evaluate his documented progress as the season progressed. And as I became aware that Mills was outperforming his draft slot, tracking the statistical difference between Mills and Jones.

SF beat the Texans so it was evident Lance would have had better stats than Mills. Stating the obvious served no purpose.

I had ignored the stats last week and I got curious about Jones. The Pats beat Jacksonville 50-10, so it's apparent he had a good game: 22/30; 227 yds; 7.6 avg; 3 TD's; 0 INT's; 0 sacks. So he also bettered Mills last week.
Agree.
49ers have one of the very best Dlines in football and got a lot of pressure on Mills.

I love Hamilton. He's my #2 rated guy.

Neal is so athletic for such ahuge man. If you drafted him and drafted another huge OG like Kinnard the OL and offense would look so much better.

If you want an impact S then use 3-67 and 4-110 to trade up into the middle of the 2nd rd and pick Brisker from Penis St. That guys really talented too. Very fast and a sure tackler. Reminds me a little bit of the Honey Badger.

A draft like this, might work

1-3 Neal OT
2-37 Brisker S
3-67 Charbonnet RB
3-84 Marquis Hayes OG

Nasty in the run game OL a 3 down RB and a S that's a cornerstone type piece.
And consequentially, the defense.

Hamilton helping in the box, taking opposing TE’s out of the game, and the speed to work deep could really help the men up front.
Good points, but if he is as good as advertised, good QBs will avoid him and target the CBs.
This is why you try to pressure the QB to get rid of the ball before he gets a good read - ergo, a good pass rush.

Bart Starr was drafted in the 17th round (but there were a lot fewer teams back then). Trent Green was drafted in the 8th round. Johnny Unitas was in the 10th round.
Starr was the 243rd player selected. Would be late 7th round, today.
Unitas was the 102nd pick. 3rd round comp pick.
Green was the 222nd pick. Early 7th, now.

Roger Staubach was the 129th pick in the 1964 draft, 4th round today. But, Roger the Dodger would have gone higher if he didn't have the naval commitment.

Good points, but if he is as good as advertised, good QBs will avoid him and target the CBs.
This is why you try to pressure the QB to get rid of the ball before he gets a good read - ergo, a good pass rush.

Lovie Smith would figure out some really impactful ways to deploy Hamilton on blitzes as well. That size and speed arrives with many benefits for Lovie.

SMU has another WR in Sonny Gray who possesses elite speed. Estimates are low 4.3-40 type of speed.

I actually like Roberson more. If Caserio decides to beef up the ol/defense early, then I hope he looks at guys like Roberson/Gray/Hazelwood/Phillips later in the draft. Watson out of NDSU is an NFL level talent guy. But after the Sr Bowl I think he will end up going in the 3rd Rd

I know you're smart enough to get my point.
Honestly I don’t really know what your point is. You quoted me saying Lance played better than Mills and ask why he isn’t starting over Garoppolo. What does that have to do with what I said?

Then you tell me all the players they passed up to go get Lance, like that’s some sort of automatic deal to be a starter. Well, then explain the Chiefs doing what they did to move up and then Mahomes sitting behind Alex Smith a whole year.

There isn’t some set in stone formula to go by.

Reactions: JB
Honestly I don’t really know what your point is. You quoted me saying Lance played better than Mills and ask why he isn’t starting over Garoppolo. What does that have to do with what I said?

Then you tell me all the players they passed up to go get Lance, like that’s some sort of automatic deal to be a starter. Well, then explain the Chiefs doing what they did to move up and then Mahomes sitting behind Alex Smith a whole year.

There isn’t some set in stone formula to go by.
Agreed, but the general consensus would suggest if you draft a QB that high and burn picks to do so, he's a starter - if not straight away, at least halfway through the season.
If Texans draft Kenny Pickett at #3, would you like to see him sit out a year and watch Tyrod Taylor starting?

Agreed, but the general consensus would suggest if you draft a QB that high and burn picks to do so, he's a starter - if not straight away, at least halfway through the season.
If Texans draft Kenny Pickett at #3, would you like to see him sit out a year and watch Tyrod Taylor starting?

He just doesn't like Mills. Put Mills on the 49ers and he most likely would have outplayed Lance. There's no Deebo/Kittle etc... on the Texans.

Different situation than both the 9ers and Chiefs. For one, Taylor isn’t currently a Texan. But even if he was, yeah, I’d probably be more inclined to start him over a career backup. At least there’d be a true competition anyway.

Smith was a top end game manager. Garoppolo is a tier or so below that, maybe in the Tannehill level. The Texans really don’t have any of that going on at the moment. They also had good enough teams that they could afford to continue with what they had and not have to force their young QBs to play.

The Texans can’t afford that luxury. If they bring in a QB, particularly at #3, yes, he’s immediately competing for QB1. KC and SF weren’t handcuffed like that.

Lance played at North Dakota State for one full season. Jimmy Garoppolo makes $24 million in salary. And the Niners were trying to compete for the playoffs.
He just doesn't like Mills. Put Mills on the 49ers and he most likely would have outplayed Lance.
Lance outplayed Davis in the one chance we saw them together. That's indisputable. 32 teams would take Trey Lance over Davis Mills, then and now. I get jocking Mills. He's on you team and he's one of the very, very few bright spots. What I don't get is trying to tear down other players in the process. It's weak and just not factual.

Even with Tyrod our situation isn’t the same as SanFrancisco or KC.

The QB does a lot more than throw the ball. In that sense it is easy to see Lance as better than JG.

But in Kubiak’s WCO the QB also manages the run game. Shanahan must believe Garoppolo is better at getting into the right play & out of a wrong play at the LOS.

It’s a subtle thing & hard to see. But winning games in spite of your QB can be evidence of it.

Lance played at North Dakota State for one full season. Jimmy Garoppolo makes $24 million in salary. And the Niners were trying to compete for the playoffs.

Lance outplayed Davis in the one chance we saw them together. That's indisputable. 32 teams would take Trey Lance over Davis Mills, then and now. I get jocking Mills. He's on you team and he's one of the very, very few bright spots. What I don't get is trying to tear down other players in the process. It's weak and just not factual.

Saying it the QB's switched teams that Mills would outplay Lance and pointing out that there's no Deebo or Kittle on the Texans isn't tearing Lance down. That's just a fact.

Right now, we don't know what Lance will become, same with Mills. What we do know is Lil Shanny knows Jimmy G gives his team its best chance to win today.

Mills had little starting experience as well.
I don't think Lance is quite ready and Garappolo is steady.

Saying it the QB's switched teams that Mills would outplay Lance and pointing out that there's no Deebo or Kittle on the Texans isn't tearing Lance down. That's just a fact.

Right now, we don't know what Lance will become, same with Mills. What we do know is Lil Shanny knows Jimmy G gives his team its best chance to win today.
I have no problem seeing Mills beating Lance if the roles were reversed. SF is a really good team, with a really good HC.

Yeah, it would be nice to have Burks on our roster - give the Titans and Jags a taste of their own medicine. (Titans have AJ Brown, Jags have Laviska Shenault)
[/QUOTE]
My only hope now is that Derrick is traded before the draft and with the extra 1st, HOU has the ability to get Burks in the middle of the 1st. Pair him with Collins and Cooks in the slot. Get a pass catching TE in the 2nd and a RB in the 3rd. Go full O for Mills and see what we got. Go D the rest of the draft.

My only hope now is that Derrick is traded before the draft and with the extra 1st, HOU has the ability to get Burks in the middle of the 1st. Pair him with Collins and Cooks in the slot. Get a pass catching TE in the 2nd and a RB in the 3rd. Go full O for Mills and see what we got. Go D the rest of the draft.

I like the way you think. Hopefully Jack reads this.

Depends on how far back you want to go.

Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Jake Delhomme, Jeff Garcia, and Warren Moon weren't drafted at all.

Matt Hasselback was a 6th rounder like Brady. Bart Starr was drafted in the 17th round (but there were a lot fewer teams back then). Trent Green was drafted in the 8th round. Johnny Unitas was in the 10th round.

I guess if you want to go lowest draft spot... Moon and Warner take the prize. And both are HOF

I like the way you think. Hopefully Jack reads this.

Yep, and adding Burks at say 1-20 after Neal at 1-3 then add Salyer at 2-37 and Caserio would be off to a great start in the draft. Get guys like like Goodrich/ Woods in the 3rd and Calactera in the 4th and I would think that would be a great draft,
Deebo lites, maybe:

Wan'Dale Robinson Kentucky
David Bell Purdue
James Cook Georgia
Super Sleeper
Calvin Turner Hawaii

I dont see Robinson like that. But he is going to be a steal for somebody in the 3rd rd.

I dont see Robinson like that. But he is going to be a steal for somebody in the 3rd rd.
Funny, because I don't see Burks like Deebo. More of a physical WR like AJ Brown. Whereas Robinson actually had more carries than receptions while at Nebraska.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Back