Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills is a poor man's...

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
You're right.

I still don't think it was the right move. Just hoping it works out.
I can't think of a position/player that would've been a better selection with our 3rd round pick. Can you think of one, because I sure as hell can't. It was definitely the right move.

Without that pick, we'd be chasing our tail in desperation, overdrafting for a prospect in this weak class, and would've most likely had Baker Mayfield (thus a lesser trade haul in picks) playing here this season 🤮 That 3rd round pick last season saved us from all of that. Thank God.

Last edited:

vtech9

All Pro
I can't think of a position/player that would've been a better selection with our 3rd round pick. Can you think of one, because I sure as hell can't. It was definitely the right move.

Without that pick, we'd be chasing our tail in desperation, overdrafting for a prospect in this weak class, and would've most likely had Baker Mayfield (thus a lesser trade haul in picks) playing here this season 🤮 That 3rd round pick last season saved us from all of that. Thank God.
Without that 3rd round pick, we probably end up with the #1 pick this draft, and possibly the #1 pick in the '23 draft.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Just for reference, the one game Mills played without Cooks last year he went:

21-27 for 254yds passing, 2TD, 0INT and a 130.6 passer rating.

Texans scored 41 points to beat the Chargers.
I didn't watch a game last year so throw everything I say out the window BUT.... Often when a young QB has a security blanket receiver in the mix he can get a little dependent on that guy and force it too much. Take him away and he looks at other options sooner. Well OK, maybe not David Carr but most of them. ;)

Texansballer74

The Marine
I didn't watch a game last year so throw everything I say out the window BUT.... Often when a young QB has a security blanket receiver in the mix he can get a little dependent on that guy and force it too much. Take him away and he looks at other options sooner. Well OK, maybe not David Carr but most of them. ;)
Veteran quarterbacks does that to. Look at Rodgers and Adams. Adams was his security blanket. I wonder who that will be now, since Adams is not on the team.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I was just pointing out that QBs are usually more effective when they spread the ball around some, even though they have a go to receiver.
Like Jerry Rice? The key is having multiple weapons. Kelce is always Mahomes binky, but he had Cheetah also. Take Kelce and Cheetah away and the offense is not going to do well. The Texans with Watson was alot better off when Fuller was healthy with Hopkins, but of course that never happened enough because Fuller stayed hurt. There is a reason Brady wanted to leave NE. His best wr was Edelman and Gronk was injured. He chose the Bucs because they already had 2 probowl caliber wr and they still went to sign Gronk,AB, and Fournette who the Texans could've picked up off waivers.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That is not always true. That’s why I said both because there’s a lot of examples of each one of them being effective. This past Super Bowl Copper was the man down the stretch. He’s their top receiver.
Agreed,

But OBJ was also a big part of their offense.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Copper had 145 receptions last season out of 191 targets. Top receivers will more and likely get the most targets. And like I stated above veteran quarterbacks fall into that category of targeting their best asset the most.
Exactly. Last year, there were 10 WRs with over 150 targets. Three of the top 10 in targets, Davante Adams (169 Tgts, 5 years, $141M), Tyrek Hill (159 Tgts, 4 years, $140M) and Stefon Diggs (164 Tgts, 4 years, $104M) have signed massive contracts and Cooper Kupp (191 Tgts) will be due next.

Is the argument these WR1s are getting these huge contracts so they can have their targets reduced so the ball can be spread around? Are we really arguing that with these great WR1s a QB should spread the ball around to guys like Devier Posey, Keke Coutee, Garrett Graham, Ryan Griffin, Jabar Gaffney, Corey Bradford, Eric Moulds or even Kevin Walter (who I really liked)? In the R&S era, are we saying we would reduce getting the ball to Ernest Givens and Drew Hill to give Curtis Duncan more targets?

I can understand a team having talented and reliable, 2nd, 3rd and 4th receiving targets and spreading the ball around leading to a more dynamic offense. However, to simply say a QB should spread the ball around and reduce the WR1 targets without taking into account if his other receiving options are talented, available and reliable is an oversimplification.

Can you imagine Fuller with his injury history constantly running some of the routes that Hopkins was running and taking the number of hits he did? Dude would not make it through 8 games.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Exactly. Last year, there were 10 WRs with over 150 targets. Three of the top 10 in targets, Davante Adams (169 Tgts, 5 years, $141M), Tyrek Hill (159 Tgts, 4 years, $140M) and Stefon Diggs (164 Tgts, 4 years, $104M) have signed massive contracts and Cooper Kupp (191 Tgts) will be due next.

Is the argument these WR1s are getting these huge contracts so they can have their targets reduced so the ball can be spread around? Are we really arguing that with these great WR1s a QB should spread the ball around to guys like Devier Posey, Keke Coutee, Garrett Graham, Ryan Griffin, Jabar Gaffney, Corey Bradford, Eric Moulds or even Kevin Walter (who I really liked)? In the R&S era, are we saying we would reduce getting the ball to Ernest Givens and Drew Hill to give Curtis Duncan more targets?

I can understand a team having talented and reliable, 2nd, 3rd and 4th receiving targets and spreading the ball around leading to a more dynamic offense. However, to simply say a QB should spread the ball around and reduce the WR1 targets without taking into account if his other receiving options are talented, available and reliable is an oversimplification.

Can you imagine Fuller with his injury history constantly running some of the routes that Hopkins was running and taking the number of hits he did? Dude would not make it through 8 games.
I think targets should be spread around, not equally, but like Montana spread targets to Rice and Taylor.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Adams worked his butt off to become one of the best receivers in the game. They both were very good together. He’s going to be missed in GB.
He worked his butt off, but Rodgers is a king maker, that has been proven whether it was Jordy Nelson,Greg Jennings, or whomever else. Go check his numbers and impact without Rodgers. I'm not saying he's a bum, but his production and impact is elevated because of who throwing him the ball

Earl34

Hall of Fame
When I think of spreading the ball around, I think of Dan Fouts and the Chargers. Jefferson, Joiner, Winslow, and even Chuck Muncie, the RB. Got their touches. What a talented, diversified offense.

Also, any Joe Gibbs offense.
I loved watching that offense. Yet even with that diversified top five offense and even top five defense, they had five turnovers and lost to the Oilers who were playing without Campbell and Pastorini. San Diego is a close sports rival to Houston when it comes to disappointing their fans.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Davis Mills draft comp is Carson Strong, that’s what should matter, to have a solid 1a and 1b. See how desperate teams get for QB why not be deep in position for once in franchise history, or is that just too right?
With this many picks, I would be shocked if Carstereo did not grab a QB they have their eye on.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
TK,
Did you delete my post? LOL.

Plenty of other players not named Mills were mentioned in this thread, yet you only delete my post? :swatter::tedc::scarygirl:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Drake doesn’t get talked about around here much but he sure is a big X receiver who can really high point the ball, more physical than you expect, can run away from coverage (contrary popular belief) and very good blocker. Think he had extension for his Pro Day to 15th of April, this Friday.
I've got him in my latest mock at #13.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Obviously, if your spending 3rd round picks on backup QBs rather than the O-line.
He could twist his ankle stepping out of his car for that matter......... using high picks haven't meant squat for Texans. Real value comes 3rd day, offensive lineman are known to be very conducive to development, strength & technique.
1649744258113.png

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Drake doesn’t get talked about around here much but he sure is a big X receiver who can really high point the ball, more physical than you expect, can run away from coverage (contrary popular belief) and very good blocker. Think he had extension for his Pro Day to 15th of April, this Friday.
Draft a speed receiver who can take the top off defenses. Then target TE, Jelani Woods for an athletic big body receiver who could possibly out high-point Drake or any other DB in the NFL.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
He could twist his ankle stepping out of his car for that matter......... using high picks haven't meant squat for Texans. Real value comes 3rd day, offensive lineman are known to be very conducive to development, strength & technique.
View attachment 10019
I put Texans poor result on coaching. Look at who our HCs have been in that time span.
I see several teams near the top there who have done squat with drafting prowess - results being a handful of po appearances between them; Lions, Eagles, Bears, Wash, Panthers, Jets.
Add Cowboys to that too.
Nice grapic btw.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Are we going to project the Texans past failures on this regime? Maybe they can't develop players in general, and offensive linemen in particular. But shouldn't we find out first?
Exactly.
We have a new GM and HC.
The owners don't select the draft picks or coaching staff nor have we seen what GM Carstereo can do with a basket full of draft picks and then assess them after at least a year.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Are we going to project the Texans past failures on this regime? Maybe they can't develop players in general, and offensive linemen in particular. But shouldn't we find out first?
Of course, I’m absolutely in favor of reshaping OL but in a measured, analytical process that reflects the most value. That doesn’t rule out selecting premium talent on the board at other premier positions, like Edge, Cornerback or in a QB if a great fit comes along, in any round (3rd being sweet spot) but 5th/6th rd has some history as well.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
View attachment 10019
Just because they spent high picks on failures in the past, doesn't mean Caserio shouldn't pick the best and safest pick in the draft. Neal

Always pick talent over finding the kinds of guys you're talking about.

To me there is a correlation between having a terrible ol and a terrible record.