Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills getting no respect

Number19

Hall of Fame
...I’m willing to see the Texans invest in another QB, but I damm sure don’t want to see the same ol’ development shite show they’ve used throughout their history on the next investment.
If we make the right choice with our new HC, that shouldn't happen. (Touches wood)
It will be interesting to see who he brings in to be his team.
Hiring HC's and coaching staffs are just as much a hit or miss proposition as drafting. The Texans have had 5 HC's. At the beginning, Dom Capers, who was really well respected within the NFL and wasn't a bad choice. Next, Gary Kubiak, who was a SB winning coach, although not with the Texans. His record was just a smidge below .500 at 49.2%. Next Bill O'Brian. This turned out to be unpopular, but at the time of his hiring, he was considered an up and coming coach. His record with the Texans was 52%. Now, I discount Culley and Smith, who were never intended, in my opinion , to be long term but rather "bridge" coaches, as the organization began a rebuild.

So, while everyone is disappointed our team hasn't been a stronger playoff contender, we have been a 500 team for most of our run, and this really isn't a disaster.

The organization (NC) has assembled a strong list of coaching candidates for consideration to go forward with. But it's still going to be a hit or miss proposition.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I get the point of what you guys are saying about Mills, but the dude is like Tom Savage. Just not accurate enough. I am all for letting him stay another year especially if we hire a young HC with a proven track record with QBs (Steichen or Brian Callahan). Let those guys work with him and evaluate him. I would still draft a guy like Hooker or Levis though to hedge my bets. I am almost leaning towards dropping a few spots and grabbing an extra pick and drafting Levis. His skills remind me of Josh Allen, but is a little more raw. A great offensive mind and coach can get the best out of him.
I think one of the points being made is Jones wasn’t accurate either and has seen improvement in one year. I think I heard he threw 7 interceptions over 11 games last year and over 16 games this year it has been 5 interceptions.

Now Mills doesn’t warrant the “hiring a head coach to fix QB” like Carr and Kubiak or Jones and Daboll.

But there are benefits to seeing if a HC can work with Mills for 1 year.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Jones was a bust by every QB measurable before he finally got a HC/OC, Barkley back healthy, solid receivers, and an OL. Funny, how some are just now coming forward with statements that seem to indicate they knew all along that Jones could be this good. Truth be told, Jones wouldn’t have gotten any further than Mills, had he been working in the same Texans system. And yes, everyone on this board would’ve been screaming bust and he needs to be gone.

Hurts and Tua seen a reversal in their busted careers once the team around them got better and both were given top 5 NFL targets for their respective passing games.

Someone please enlighten me as to what Mills was given to help him develop his game at the NFL level?

I’m willing to see the Texans invest in another QB, but I damm sure don’t want to see the same ol’ development shite show they’ve used throughout their history on the next investment.
Brother again Mills regressed and it’s mainly because of him. Even a better coach wouldn’t have stopped Mills from sailing pass over his receivers head and then throwing it at their feet. I’m pretty sure they kept preaching to Mills to step up in the pocket and go through your progressions. Even Mills said it on several occasions that he needs to do that as well as use his feet when need be.
Are we not going to hold him accountable too?

I get the point of what you guys are saying about Mills, but the dude is like Tom Savage. Just not accurate enough. I am all for letting him stay another year especially if we hire a young HC with a proven track record with QBs (Steichen or Brian Callahan). Let those guys work with him and evaluate him. I would still draft a guy like Hooker or Levis though to hedge my bets. I am almost leaning towards dropping a few spots and grabbing an extra pick and drafting Levis. His skills remind me of Josh Allen, but is a little more raw. A great offensive mind and coach can get the best out of him.
Whomever is hired I hope they can get Brian Callahan's dad (Bill Callahan) to come work with the OL. Bill Callahan or Doug Marrone to work with the OL...give either some fancy title to lure them over from their current team.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Brother again Mills regressed and it’s mainly because of him. Even a better coach wouldn’t have stopped Mills from sailing pass over his receivers head and then throwing it at their feet. I’m pretty sure they kept preaching to Mills to step up in the pocket and go through your progressions. Even Mills said it on several occasions that he needs to do that as well as use his feet when need be.
Are we not going to hold him accountable too?
No. Maybe. What does it mean to "hold him accountable" ? For what? For "regressing"? Fine. You want to rag on him for this. Fine. I think everyone recognizes Mills did not perform to early expectations. And we'll probably draft a QB. But ultimately this is a team sport and team performance falls on the shoulders of the coaching staff. The big question should be, given the talent available, did the coaching staff bring out the best this team had to give?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
But there are benefits to seeing if a HC can work with Mills for 1 year.
I don't see anyone asking that Mills be cut. He'll still be here with the new staff. But they can't plan on Mills taking a big step at QB. They have to make plans for a QB for the future. And if Mills turns it around and becomes a good QB, then that's a great problem to have.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don’t know what they’re going to do but enough of Mills already. He’s not the answer.
We agree.

There's one guy for sure I would try to get outside the top 10. That's what I would be aiming to do.

If we get him where I want him great. If not I'll keep looking.

Has Stroud declared?

Texansballer74

The Marine
No. Maybe. What does it mean to "hold him accountable" ? For what? For "regressing"? Fine. You want to rag on him for this. Fine. I think everyone recognizes Mills did not perform to early expectations. And we'll probably draft a QB. But ultimately this is a team sport and team performance falls on the shoulders of the coaching staff. The big question should be, given the talent available, did the coaching staff bring out the best this team had to give?
If he makes those simple throws at a better rate, we’re probably running it back with him. Not just that we would’ve had a better record.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I don't see anyone asking that Mills be cut. He'll still be here with the new staff. But they can't plan on Mills taking a big step at QB. They have to make plans for a QB for the future. And if Mills turns it around and becomes a good QB, then that's a great problem to have.
I think this all depends if the coach we get is wanting to go QB with the first round pick(s). If he isn’t and wants to wait until next year the coach could bring in a new OC to work with Mills one year.

One year only. I can’t see Mills making the same type of turnaround that Jones has made for example.

If Stroud isn’t there with the 2 then I could see us trading out or going defense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Hiring HC's and coaching staffs are just as much a hit or miss proposition as drafting. The Texans have had 5 HC's. At the beginning, Dom Capers, who was really well respected within the NFL and wasn't a bad choice. Next, Gary Kubiak, who was a SB winning coach, although not with the Texans. His record was just a smidge below .500 at 49.2%. Next Bill O'Brian. This turned out to be unpopular, but at the time of his hiring, he was considered an up and coming coach. His record with the Texans was 52%. Now, I discount Culley and Smith, who were never intended, in my opinion , to be long term but rather "bridge" coaches, as the organization began a rebuild.

So, while everyone is disappointed our team hasn't been a stronger playoff contender, we have been a 500 team for most of our run, and this really isn't a disaster.

The organization (NC) has assembled a strong list of coaching candidates for consideration to go forward with. But it's still going to be a hit or miss proposition.
Gannon if true, can put together a great staff.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I think this all depends if the coach we get is wanting to go QB with the first round pick(s). If he isn’t and wants to wait until next year the coach could bring in a new OC to work with Mills one year.

One year only. I can’t see Mills making the same type of turnaround that Jones has made for example.

If Stroud isn’t there with the 2 then I could see us trading out or going defense.
So when does the QB fairy wave her magic wand and give the Texans a QB?

Come on, man. The Texans are getting a QB. Don't be one of these QB deniers.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What? Man you’re dead wrong for this comment. So is Johnston an attention whore too?

This is where you lose credibility.

Mods I’m not attacking the poster either but he is dead wrong for this type of command
Yes he is, it's one reason I hope Hyatt is the pick over Johnston at 1-12. That and the fact that Hyatt is more of a TD waiting to happen everytime he gets his hands on the ball.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Yes he is, it's one reason I hope Hyatt is the pick over Johnston at 1-12. That and the fact that Hyatt is more of a TD waiting to happen everytime he gets his hands on the ball.
Johnston can score on more routes due to his superior RAC ability. Hyatt’s speed allows him to get deep. But even then, Johnston can stack DBs easier. Johnston is WR1 and everyone else is battling for WR2.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Johnston can score on more routes due to his superior RAC ability. Hyatt’s speed allows him to get deep. But even then, Johnston can stack DBs easier. Johnston is WR1 and everyone else is battling for WR2.
I disagree with the experts on this.

Johnston isn't physical enough in contested ball situations for my liking. Give me the guy that can take the top off of a defense. In fact give me 2 of those kids guys and let's see how good Pierce can be with 6-7 in the box. Add in an all around TE like Washington and his great blocking and now the new QB will have dangerous weapons to work with. I guarantee you that if these weapons were added with better QB play and a solid veteran fa center the Texans would be scoring 25 pts per game.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I guarantee you that if these weapons were added with better QB play and a solid veteran fa center the Texans would be scoring 25 pts per game.
As long as the defense continues to give up 25 pts per game, it won't mean much. Maybe improving from worst to mediocre with good coaching

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
As long as the defense continues to give up 25 pts per game, it won't mean much. Maybe improving from worst to mediocre with good coaching
This isn't about the 2023 season, I dont care how much they when or lose next yr. I just want to see one side of the ball make great improvement and then fix the other side in 2024. You could really improve this defense by signing a couple of low cost DT's like Street and Iodonis in FA along with a cheap vet like Rashaan Evans. So maybe the defense wouldn't be as bad as you think it would be. Shore up the run defense (You can find competent DT's like John Ridgeway in last yrs draft in the 4th rd or later.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Wouldn't it be nice to have an exciting offense with a young QB and a bunch of playmakers with world class speed to go with Pierce to watch on Sunday's rather than what we've seen from the offense the last couple of yrs.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Wouldn't it be nice to have an exciting offense with a young QB and a bunch of playmakers with world class speed to go with Pierce to watch on Sunday's rather than what we've seen from the offense the last couple of yrs.
Not if they were like the 2010 Texans

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
You made me look. LOL

2022 season teams giving up the most points. How in the hell did the Vikings win that many games giving up so many points?

1674003261678.png

vtech9

All Pro
If I'm the GM of the Texans, I'm not drafting a QB in the top half of the 1st round this year. IMO, there isn't one worth that high of a pick. I'd take one later, and roll with Mills for another season, and use the extra picks next year to try and move up if needed to draft Williams or Maye, or whoever turns out to be the best QB next season. I'm just not sold on the QB's coming out this year.
I think Lovie and Pep were a big reason for the regression of Mills, and hope one of these new coaches can do what Kafka did with Daniel Jones.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Well, like I said, I'm not sold on the QB's coming out this year, so I'll stick with the turd we know over a shiny new turd that I think won't be much better. Especially when I think the QB's coming out next season WILL be much better.
I would rather have one of those quarterbacks versus what we have now. We’ve seen what those players, especially Mills plays. Dude is a backup at best. And if you want this ship from the bottom of the lagoon again. You better go get you a offensive minded coach and a franchise quarterback asap.

vtech9

All Pro
I would rather have one of those quarterbacks versus what we have now. We’ve seen what those players, especially Mills plays. Dude is a backup at best. And if you want this ship from the bottom of the lagoon again. You better go get you a offensive minded coach and a franchise quarterback asap.
We disagree on how to get better. I think we need to fix the rest of the team before drafting an overhyped QB. If we fix the rest of the team this season, and get our QB next year, we'll be much better off. I'm afraid if we take Young or Stroud this year, we'll be looking for another QB in a couple of years.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If I'm the GM of the Texans, I'm not drafting a QB in the top half of the 1st round this year. IMO, there isn't one worth that high of a pick. I'd take one later, and roll with Mills for another season, and use the extra picks next year to try and move up if needed to draft Williams or Maye, or whoever turns out to be the best QB next season. I'm just not sold on the QB's coming out this year.
I think Lovie and Pep were a big reason for the regression of Mills, and hope one of these new coaches can do what Kafka did with Daniel Jones.
If the QB's next year are still highly rated and don't disappear ala Rattler, the QB needy teams are going to give them up for you? Willing to bet the franchise on that?