Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills getting no respect

The Texans mistake was making him a starter without any competition. Plus, he should have been playing in preseason more since he really didn’t have much games played in college. I blame that on the organization but it’s not his fault they didn’t sign a good FA vet in the offseason.
I don't think they had the cap space for a good one.

The Texans mistake was making him a starter without any competition. Plus, he should have been playing in preseason more since he really didn’t have much games played in college. I blame that on the organization but it’s not his fault they didn’t sign a good FA vet in the offseason.
I’m strictly talking about his play on the field. As far as your point, I agree 1000%. I said the same exact thing several times on here. I would also add no quality veteran quarterback was coming here last season.

I’m strictly talking about his play on the field. As far as your point, I agree 1000%. I said the same exact thing several times on here. I would also add no quality veteran quarterback was coming here last season.
That’s why I said the lack of preseason and games played in college could have been a factor. He did have some wide open receivers that he missed badly though. Hopefully Ryan’s and the new OC look at other qbs and give him some real competition next season.

Yawn. What a topic to spend a life on. Despite all of this bs bottom line is DM will determine his fate, nobody else. My only “complaint” is whether or not Pep exposed him or not. Argue about it both ways. TC will show where he stands with the regime going forward. Can be rain or shine…..back to the Angels Envy…lol

Yep. Team collectively was garbage.
The Texans Online was graded in the middle in Pass Block Win Rate by ESPN

Only 5 teams dropped fewer passes.

Pierce was among the top on the RB list.

Mills was just bad as he missed several easy throws and was wildly inaccurate on many throws.

The Texans currently have the 7th best cap space situation in the league.

They signed Allen for 2.5M.

The Seahawks signed Geno Smith for $3.5M
Now yes. The point made was we didn't bring in a good FA QB to help rookie Mills - hence my comment about the lack of cap.

Not enough to bring in a "good" FA QB.Who would you suggest and how much would he have cost?
I just said Geno Smith.

The Seahawks also run a WCO, which is something Pete Carroll has always done even when he was at USC.

Last year, the Texans installed the WCO, which Mills ran at Stanford.
Stanford is another school that have been running the WCO forever, even before Andrew Luck.

The Texans actually had employed the ZBS from time to time even under OB.

I rewatched the first half of the first game last year, and yes they did run a few plays with the ZBS, and the guys didn't look half bad (the offensive line).

I remember a poster being concerned about AJ Cann in the ZBS, but he did just fine.
I did some research and found that the Jaguars did change to a ZBS in 2013, a couple of years before they drafted Cann.

But back to the point.
The Texans could have gone after Geno Smith instead of Allen and Driskell for not much more.
A million dollar in the NFL is basically peanuts when it comes to the QB position.

Last edited:
I just said Geno Smith.

The Seahawks also run a WCO, which is something Pete Carroll has always done even when he was at USC.

Last year, the Texans installed the WCO, which Mills ran at Stanford.
Stanford is another school that have been running the WCO forever, even before Andrew Luck.
Meh, Geno was not a very desirable product back then and he may have regressed here.

He had plenty of plays that he should’ve made but he missed too much. That’s on him not coaching

I'm not sure I'd go with Mills as the given starter this season either. There are a few FA QBs to hold us over, or draft a QB with our 1st pick in the 2nd round. There'll be one there that should be better than Mills with some coaching up.

Mills might be better with some coaching up as well. Whatever happens, I'm positive there's another QB in Mills life shortly, and one that's supposed to "compete" with him (so to speak) and not be just some more backups for Mills.

Yep, speaking of QB's, there's a lot of Monday Morning QB'ing going on around these parts. I didn't see anybody on this MB clamoring for Geno to be brought in, in FA. (Including 76.)
I've already told you that I was already out for a long time.
I had no interest at looking for any prospect except for a few that catches my eyes.

I told you from the beginning that Mills isn't it.

The Texans weren't in a position to draft a QB anyway.

I said, I'd rather have Ian Brook in the fourth.
That's where a backup QB should be drafted (any hope of him becoming a starting QB is just cream on the top).

He may soon earn a SB ring without playing in a game.

I didn't watch much of Jalen Hurts; I had said so in the draft forum.
I didn't want to spend my time looking for a QB at that time.
But I did say he looked intriguing.

When people talked about Weeden; I tried to research him and watched his play,

You never heard of me wanting Manziel or Murray.

Like you said, no GM hit 100%

But I did pine for Arian Foster the minute he signed on as an UDFA.

I did the same for Case Keenum.

I defendEd Chris Myers.

I said Brandon Brooks is a good pick.
(I spent time watching his plays in college; I even said that his ability to connect on the second level is rare for a big guy.

I love football at its purest.

Now it's just a show.

I've already told you that I was already out for a long time.
I had no interest at looking for any prospect except for a few that catches my eyes.

I told you from the beginning that Mills isn't it.

The Texans weren't in a position to draft a QB anyway.

I said, I'd rather have Ian Brook in the fourth.
That's where a backup QB should be drafted (any hope of him becoming a starting QB is just cream on the top).

He may soon earn a SB ring without playing in a game.

I didn't watch much of Jalen Hurts; I had said so in the draft forum.
I didn't want to spend my time looking for a QB at that time.
But I did say he looked intriguing.

When people talked about Weeden; I tried to research him and watched his play,

You never heard of me wanting Manziel or Murray.

Like you said, no GM hit 100%

But I did pine for Arian Foster the minute he signed on as an UDFA.

I did the same for Case Keenum.

I defendEd Chris Myers.

I said Brandon Brooks is a good pick.
(I spent time watching his plays in college; I even said that his ability to connect on the second level is rare for a big guy.

I love football at its purest.

Now it's just a show.

Thanks for your infinite wisdom

College football isn't just a show, which is why I enjoy watching it much more than NFL football.

He's very aware that the team around him sucked last yr.

He sucked even worse. Maybe his teammates thought he suvked ash too. Cost them a lot of freaking games.
well if he sucked and his teammates sucked then I’d say the coaching staff sucked worse and that’s my gripe. If nothing else last year I wanted to get a final take on Mills to better inform our draft this year but I don’t think we got it. Ryans stated that we have one QB on the team and he wants to bring in a few more. He didn’t state whether that would be through FA or the draft or both So we still don’t know. I’d like to see a good FA and a mid round draft pick this year, let them duke it out in TC, and go into the next draft looking early for a QB if necessary using this draft to build a team around any future QB. We just got these picks and I don’t want them blown this year trying to win the lottery.

Nick Foles signed a 2 year 6.2 million contract last offseason. Very reasonable and would have been legitimate competition for Mills.
Foles is and was done, that was not competition. Did you see him try to play, not even the ghost of Foles? Not saying we cannot find the right vet for competition and let a draftee develop just find one that still wants to play versus get paid to carry a clipboard. Daniel Jones, Geno Smith, Mike White, Cooper Rush and Taylor Heinicke are all available to kick their tires. Cooper/White may be reasonable bridge options if Texans don't draft a QB high this year

Foles is and was done, that was not competition. Did you see him try to play, not even the ghost of Foles? Not saying we cannot find the right vet for competition and let a draftee develop just find one that still wants to play versus get paid to carry a clipboard. Daniel Jones, Geno Smith, Mike White, Cooper Rush and Taylor Heinicke are all available to kick their tires. Cooper/White may be reasonable bridge options if Texans don't draft a QB high this year

Better than Kyle Allen. At least Foles can contribute in the meeting room (like how Schaub spent back half of his career as a backup).

Mills is better than White or Rush. But at least there's some good competition in there that could give him a run and force the bar higher if he wants to remain the starter.

Better than Kyle Allen. At least Foles can contribute in the meeting room (like how Schaub spent back half of his career as a backup).
Although a small sample size, I think the Kyle Allen disaster shows just how bad the Texans were on the offensive side of the ball. I mean, it's only Kyle Allen but he did have 17 games starter experience. The lack of talent and poor pass protection exposed him badly, and made a former fringe NFL starter look absolutely awful. Got to improve the WR/OL talent to make any QB look ok. I hope we do that this year.

Last edited:
Mills would be better under DR, but he doesn't fit his likely system.
Enter Bryce Young.
Maybe. Mills is a traditional pocket passer QB. If you look at his deep ball stats there were still above NFL average this year in all areas (with a terrible WR core), although he was well below average on shorter routes. Mills works best in a deep vertical-style passing offense. The WCO prioritizes short passing but taking shots down field. Mills would have to improve on short passing to be successful, although he long passing accuracy would be great for it.

Last edited:
Mills would be better under DR, but he doesn't fit his likely system.
Enter Bryce Young.
Young has issues throwing deep ball, according to the stats. In his Heisman year he only completed 33% of his deep balls over 20 yards. Not sure what those stats were this year, but guessing probably similar. Young will probably excel on short/intermediate passing game. We'll see if Bryce is the pick. Ryans may or may not have changed that dynamic. Combine should tell a lot.

Maybe. Mills is a traditional pocket passer QB. If you look at his deep ball stats there were still above NFL average this year in all areas, although he was below average on short routes. Mills works best in a deep vertical-style passing offense. The WCO prioritizes short passing but taking shots down field. Mills would have to improve on short passing to be successful, although he long passing accuracy would be great for it.
Watch some film on Young - he routinely throws accurate 40-50 yard passes downfield. That is about all the time an Oline can typically make for a receiver to get downfield in the NFL.

Watch some film on Young - he routinely throws accurate 40-50 yard passes downfield. That is about all the time an Oline can typically make for a receiver to get downfield in the NFL.
I'm telling you what the stats say not watching I highlight film. That's why Young's deep ball comes on as a weakness is some scouting reports. Accuracy was low in Heisman Year. Just facts. Not saying he can't complete them or hasn't. He can drop dimes for sure. But statistically, he's not impressive overall in this area.

I agree with you in a WCO where short/intermediate are frequently deployed, he will excel in this area. He'll probably have more balls batted down than the average QB but whatever.

I'm telling you what the stats say not watching I highlight film. That's why Young's deep ball comes on as a weakness is some scouting reports. Accuracy was low in Heisman Year. Just facts. Not saying he can't complete them or hasn't. He can drop dimes for sure. But statistically, he's not impressive overall in this area.

I agree with you in a WCO where short/intermediate are frequently deployed, he will excel in this area. He'll probably have more balls batted down than the average QB but whatever.
One highlight reel shows about 10 throws in that range that were accurate.
He will have to perfect a decent drop back a la Montana to avoid the batted passes so the Oline/blocking schemes are gonna have to hold up and counter those outside rushers.

Maybe. Mills is a traditional pocket passer QB. If you look at his deep ball stats there were still above NFL average this year in all areas (with a terrible WR core), although he was below average on short routes. Mills works best in a deep vertical-style passing offense. The WCO prioritizes short passing but taking shots down field. Mills would have to improve on short passing to be successful, although he long passing accuracy would be great for it.
Sounds fixable with some good coaching.

Sounds fixable with some good coaching.
The thing that gives optimism is Mills long passing game—above NFL average with the worst WR core in the NFL— and which was outstanding in 2021. I mean, if Mills can throw long why did he struggle going short this year? Doesn't make a lot of sense, unless he has issues processing reads and running through progressions. And that's probably some of it, which is concerning.

I think that's why there are some people, like myself, that hang onto the possibility that Mills can pan out. Because he shows high-end arm talent on the difficult throws. But yet, he struggled pretty badly on shorter throws. So there's something going on here.

Last edited:
Young has issues throwing deep ball, according to the stats. In his Heisman year he only completed 33% of his deep balls over 20 yards. Not sure what those stats were this year, but guessing probably similar. Young will probably excel on short/intermediate passing game. We'll see if Bryce is the pick. Ryans may or may not have changed that dynamic. Combine should tell a lot.
Did a bit of digging and didn't find any deep ball stats for this past season. As you did, did find the '21 stats of 33%. But on the plus side, didn't find any negative comment about his deep ball in '22. What comments I did find were positive. So my conclusion differs from yours in that I think he may have improved somewhat. Sure would like to see some stats, though.

The thing that gives optimism is Mills long passing game—above NFL average with the worst WR core in the NFL— and which was outstanding in 2021. I mean, if Mills can throw long why did he struggle going short this year? Doesn't make a lot of sense, unless he has issues processing reads and running through progressions. And that's probably some of it, which is concerning.

I think that's why there are some people, like myself, that hang onto the possibility that Mills can pan out. Because he shows high-end arm talent on the difficult throws. But yet, he struggled pretty badly on shorter throws. So there's something going on here.
Still sounds fixable with coaching.

Back