Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills getting no respect

Instead of singling Mills out exclusively…why not have Lovie and Pep explain why the offense’s most effective weapon often finds himself strapped to the bench while Burkhead and the predictable play calling rule the 4th QTR?

Not that I've seen. He seems to have taken a step back. I don't know if the fault there lies on him, on Pep, or if this is a natural progression for him learning.

It used to be that you expected a sophomore slump from players. Nowadays, it seems everyone is expecting young QBs to start fast and stay strong, like they don't have to be developed or taught anything.

I've said this before, sometimes when you're learning stuff, you have to take a few steps back as you're trying to put everything together. When I was at the Musician's Institute, you would see all these players come in who were pretty good, then they'd start learning stuff and they'd fall to pieces and be crappy for awhile until they were able to integrate everything they'd learned with their playing.

Davis Mills flashed promise at the end of last year, but that was largely against understaffed or undermanned defenses. He was coming in with a lack of experience and I'm sure he's learned a crap ton. Even in the training camp stuff, they were talking about him getting all sorts of advice about don't throw that pass here, throw it like this, no on this route you have to do this or that, and didn't you read that guy, yadda yadda.

So. I don't know. At this point, if I liked the QBs coming out next year, I'd take one. Then it's up to Mills to keep his job or become the backup he was drafted to be.

If they don't like the QBs coming out next year, then try to find a couple of vets to come in and take the job from Mills and wait until you're in a position to get a QB you want.

To be honest I think it might be he is getting too much advice. Once he got into his groove last year and was left to play...he was showing quite a bit. Fast forward to a new QB coach who is very much said to be hands on. An OC who is the same man, with a different system. And most of all a new HC with 100% different style than the HC he had last year. We are hearing about players who love him...but you know Lovie and Pep are wanting to have him do this or that. They are not playing to his strengths is what it seems. And both his stats and even footwork are paying for it

Not that I've seen. He seems to have taken a step back. I don't know if the fault there lies on him, on Pep, or if this is a natural progression for him learning.

It used to be that you expected a sophomore slump from players. Nowadays, it seems everyone is expecting young QBs to start fast and stay strong, like they don't have to be developed or taught anything.

I've said this before, sometimes when you're learning stuff, you have to take a few steps back as you're trying to put everything together. When I was at the Musician's Institute, you would see all these players come in who were pretty good, then they'd start learning stuff and they'd fall to pieces and be crappy for awhile until they were able to integrate everything they'd learned with their playing.

Davis Mills flashed promise at the end of last year, but that was largely against understaffed or undermanned defenses. He was coming in with a lack of experience and I'm sure he's learned a crap ton. Even in the training camp stuff, they were talking about him getting all sorts of advice about don't throw that pass here, throw it like this, no on this route you have to do this or that, and didn't you read that guy, yadda yadda.

So. I don't know. At this point, if I liked the QBs coming out next year, I'd take one. Then it's up to Mills to keep his job or become the backup he was drafted to be.

If they don't like the QBs coming out next year, then try to find a couple of vets to come in and take the job from Mills and wait until you're in a position to get a QB you want.
The thing about your musicians.. 2.5 million fans not demanding they be successful and spending tens of millions of dollars annually on said musician.

I don’t think it was posted yet and I can’t find the link to post it but Mills basically said yesterday he thinks we’re coming out too conservative and I gotta agree. He looks mildly better when we open it up a bit so I say throw it all out there if that’s what he wants. Worst thing that could happen is we lose by a few more scores

I don’t think it was posted yet and I can’t find the link to post it but Mills basically said yesterday he thinks we’re coming out too conservative and I gotta agree. He looks mildly better when we open it up a bit so I say throw it all out there if that’s what he wants. Worst thing that could happen is we lose by a few more scores
QB Davis Mills | Press Conference (11-16-2022)
At the the 0:52 sec mark Mills starts answering this question:

You have only led for 27 plays this season. How does that influence your approach?
We've talked about it a little bit. I didn't know that was the actual amount of plays. It feels like we've played people close a lot, not just 27 plays. I think it just goes to show we have to come out aggressive from the start of the game. Don't try to play too conservative from the start. Come out like we're playing from behind. When it starts 0-0, stay aggressive and drive down the field to get points. I think that'll help us out, just putting up more points and moving the football.

QB Davis Mills | Press Conference (11-16-2022)
At the the 0:52 sec mark Mills starts answering this question:

You have only led for 27 plays this season. How does that influence your approach?

there are those of us here who’ve been calling for that for at least 6 weeks. Lovie trying to keep Mills from making the inevitable mistakes a young qb makes…gotta turn him loose and let the chips fall where they may.

there are those of us here who’ve been calling for that for at least 6 weeks. Lovie trying to keep Mills from making the inevitable mistakes a young qb makes…gotta turn him loose and let the chips fall where they may.
I agree, but isn't that against Lovie's principles. I know he has stated many times that we're going to be a running football team. Is there a happy medium in Lovie's world? I can see him advocating for Mills this year and next by stating they can get him to minimize mistakes (as you stated), run the football and take occasional shots in the passing game. Then he goes all in defensively next year and they still stumble offensively.

And yet he’s still making a bunch of mistakes. Missing easy reads, throwing at his receivers feet and throwing interceptions. Especially when the game is money time. Lovie or Pep can’t stop or prevent him from those mistakes. And to be honest none of us truly know if they’re holding him back to help mitigate mistakes. That’s an assumption unless you’re in the war room with them.

Last edited:
I agree, but isn't that against Lovie's principles. I know he has stated many times that we're going to be a running football team. Is there a happy medium in Lovie's world? I can see him advocating for Mills this year and next by stating they can get him to minimize mistakes (as you stated), run the football and take occasional shots in the passing game. Then he goes all in defensively next year and they still stumble offensively.

Lovie’s “principles” are in dire need of revision. He’s trying to use a formula for success that he used way back in 2003 with Rex Grossman..that actually only worked 1 time…so we can actually say now that it was probably luck given how horrible his track record has been at previous stops before the Texans.

The game has changed so much since then and he doesnt have an Urlacher/Briggs and Harris to anchor his defense here. You can still be a running team and not be as conservative as he is.

And anyone thinking Lovie’s conservative approach is gonna change with a new highly picked qb in here next year, they need to think again.For whatever you might think about Jameis, he was pretty good his 1st 2 years in the league..his 1st year was under Lovie, he threw for 4k..22/15 TD/int ratio….which is right around what Mills is projecting RIGHT NOW..team went 6-10. Lovie gets fired at the end of the season, Dirk Koetter gets the HC gig…installs Air Coryell…Jameis is a 28/18 guy…but the team wins 3 more games.

he’s a dinosaur and unless he changes his philosophy dramatically, we wont see much improvement offensively no matter who we get under center.

And yet he’s still making a bunch of mistakes. Missing easy reads, throwing at his receivers feet and throwing interceptions. Especially when the game is money time. Lovie or Pep can’t stop or prevent him from those mistakes. And to be honest none of truly know if they’re holding him back to help mitigate mistakes. That’s an assumption unless you’re in the war room with them.

bro you cant be 3 yards and a cloud of dust for 3 qtrs…then ask your qb to go out there and win you the game in the 4th when you’re down 7-10 pts and the game is slipping out of your reach…asking him to rescue your defense by starting to sking it all over the field having gotten into no rythym, limited weaponry, mediocre pass pro. As we’ve seen, Its a recipe for disaster….Especially for young qbs who is getting no help from his defense in the form of extra possessions, short fields and stops. Asking the kid to play perfect, and no offense is perfect…especially when it gets late in games and the defense knows you cant afford to run it….so they pun their ears back and get after you…trying to play ball control offense until the flow of the game forces you out of it…defense gets paid too

Last edited:
bro you cant be 3 yards and a cloud of dust for 3 qtrs…then ask your qb to go out there and win you the game in the 4th when you’re down 7-10 pts and the game is slipping out of your reach…asking him to rescue your defense by starting to sking it all over the field having gotten into no rythym, limited weaponry, mediocre pass pro. As we’ve seen, Its a recipe for disaster….Especially for young qbs who is getting no help from his defense in the form of extra possessions, short fields and stops. Asking the kid to play perfect, and no offense is perfect…especially when it gets late in games and the defense knows you cant afford to run it….so they pun their ears back and get after you…trying to play ball control offense until the flow of the game forces you out of it…defense gets paid too
Come on brother we were up in half of our games. And it seems as if you and the two gents who liked your post are missing the point. Dude is wildly inaccurate and is struggling with sideline routes no matter if it’s 5-15 yards. It’s like you gents wants to excuse his play and solely put this on the back of Lovie and Pep. He’s a starting quarterback in the NFL so whenever a play needs to be made, when they ask him to do his job. Go out there and make a play Davis Mills.

Last edited:
Lovie’s “principles” are in dire need of revision. He’s trying to use a formula for success that he used way back in 2003 with Rex Grossman..that actually only worked 1 time…so we can actually say now that it was probably luck given how horrible his track record has been at previous stops before the Texans.

The game has changed so much since then and he doesnt have an Urlacher/Briggs and Harris to anchor his defense here. You can still be a running team and not be as conservative as he is.

And anyone thinking Lovie’s conservative approach is gonna change with a new highly picked qb in here next year, they need to think again.For whatever you might think about Jameis, he was pretty good his 1st 2 years in the league..his 1st year was under Lovie, he threw for 4k..22/15 TD/int ratio….which is right around what Mills is projecting RIGHT NOW..team went 6-10. Lovie gets fired at the end of the season, Dirk Koetter gets the HC gig…installs Air Coryell…Jameis is a 28/18 guy…but the team wins 3 more games.

he’s a dinosaur and unless he changes his philosophy dramatically, we wont see much improvement offensively no matter who we get under center.
We've seen QBs who "supposedly" played worse than Mills end up with more wins this year.

Many of those teams do not have the capacity/resources to improve more than the Texans.

Nobody asks Mills to carry the team; it would be foolish.

Even his supporters and those willing to give him time had stayed that he played worse than last year.

Mills have been playing poorly, simple as that.

One example is how he keeps missing the free blitzer.

As I had linked the article where Mills himself talk about how the Center is making the line call, but it's his responsibility to see that the play doesn't get blown up.

And he keeps making that mistake.

One example is how he keeps missing the free blitzer.

As I had linked the article where Mills himself talk about how the Center is making the line call, but it's his responsibility to see that the play doesn't get blown up.

And he keeps making that mistake.

How do you know its him missing the free blitzer? sure he’s responsible for getting the ball out quickly, but the WR has to see that too and break his route off to a slant or something short….otherwise he’s throwing to noone….or he has to eat the ball for a sack….or throw it right into the defense’s hands b/c he saw it but the WR didn’t and ran a route that he wasn’t supposed to.

We've seen QBs who "supposedly" played worse than Mills end up with more wins this year.

Many of those teams do not have the capacity/resources to improve more than the Texans.

Nobody asks Mills to carry the team; it would be foolish.

Even his supporters and those willing to give him time had stayed that he played worse than last year.

Mills have been playing poorly, simple as that.

Not surprising…hes really has no help except Pierce..

How do you know its him missing the free blitzer? sure he’s responsible for getting the ball out quickly, but the WR has to see that too and break his route off to a slant or something short….otherwise he’s throwing to noone….or he has to eat the ball for a sack….or throw it right into the defense’s hands b/c he saw it but the WR didn’t and ran a route that he wasn’t supposed to.
I've already discussed some of these plays already.
On some plays, he didn't even see the guy coming even though the defender came up to the line pre-snap.

Disagree.
It has nothing to do with him missing open receivers or throwing poor passes that the receiver has no chance of catching.

Too often.
I've already discussed some of these plays already.
On some plays, he didn't even see the guy coming even though the defender came up to the line pre-snap.

coming up to the los means bubkis in the way of whether a guy is coming or not. Furthermore we don’t know whether he was the one at fault. Perhaps Quessenberry is at fault with the line protection call & HE got fooled. We just dont know. Even still, even the best in the game get fooled from time to time….none of these guys play the game perfectly. They miss open passing windows..they make errant throws…they miss blitzers..y’all try to grade this dude on a perfect scale and at the same time refuse to discount the circumstances under which he’s playing.

coming up to the los means bubkis in the way of whether a guy is coming or not. Furthermore we don’t know whether he was the one at fault. Perhaps Quessenberry is at fault with the line protection call & HE got fooled. We just dont know. Even still, even the best in the game get fooled from time to time….none of these guys play the game perfectly. They miss open passing windows..they make errant throws…they miss blitzers..y’all try to grade this dude on a perfect scale and at the same time refuse to discount the circumstances under which he’s playing.
No further discussion needed.

Come on brother we were up in half of our games. And it seems as if you and the two gents who liked your post are missing the point. Dude is wildly inaccurate and is struggling with sideline routes no matter if it’s 5-15 yards. It’s like you gents wants to excuse his play and solely put this on the back of Lovie and Pep. He’s a starting quarterback in the NFL so whenever a play needs to be made I don’t when they ask him to do his job. Go out there and make a play Davis Mills.
Why is he inaccurate on sideline throws this yr when he was pretty accurate on those throws last yr, particularly to Cooks?

Mills has regressed, but all QBs struggle when they get pressure up the middle. Q flat out sucks and now Green is playing hurt. I don't expect Mills to improve much this season and this doesn't even take into account the lack of weapons on the outside. Cooks has been really disappointing.

Mills has regressed, but all QBs struggle when they get pressure up the middle. Q flat out sucks and now Green is playing hurt. I don't expect Mills to improve much this season and this doesn't even take into account the lack of weapons on the outside. Cooks has been really disappointing.

i mostly agree..but its hard to say b/c the guy hasn’t had much to work with..even from last year.

Josh Allen…a guy a certain poster in this thread said reads defenses and moves thru his progressions like “a pro”, has thrown 6 picks in his last 3 games…including 2 red zone picks…all of then have been back breaking, terrible throws that shouldn’t have been made .. and they have cost his team 2 of the last 3 games. Does that mean he’s regressed……or does it mean defenses have caught on to his tendencies and figured out how to defend him?

My point is there’s alot that goes into a qb’s success or failure..its not just all on him and what he’s doing like alot of guys like to view it in a vacuum. B/c as important as the position is to the overall success of the team, it is also the position that needs the most help to be successful..

Come on brother we were up in half of our games. And it seems as if you and the two gents who liked your post are missing the point. Dude is wildly inaccurate and is struggling with sideline routes no matter if it’s 5-15 yards. It’s like you gents wants to excuse his play and solely put this on the back of Lovie and Pep. He’s a starting quarterback in the NFL so whenever a play needs to be made I don’t when they ask him to do his job. Go out there and make a play Davis Mills.
We saw last week that when the offense moves with some tempo he plays much better and accuracy isn't an issue on those throws. When Pep slows the offense down, I think Mills thinks too much and starts aiming his throws

We saw last week that when the offense moves with some tempo he plays much better and accuracy isn't an issue on those throws. When Pep slows the offense down, I think Mills thinks too much and starts aiming his throws

hard to keep a rythym when they get schizophrenic with the play calling like that. To top it off, they don’t use much motion, they dont roll the pocket..nothing. Its:

Run 1st down get 2-4 yards
Run 2nd down get stuffed/penalty now its 3rd and medium/long

then on 3rd down its either:

throw the smoke/hitch route for 1 yard….and hope cooks/Moore can run for the rest..usually a fail.

run Pierce and hope he breaks a gazillion tackles for the 1st…or you catch the defense napping on an obvious passing down and he rips off a nice chunk.

throw some 1-read pass play out of max protect a slant or comeback outside the numbers and hope these guys can connect afyer not really doing anything pass wise to get them in rythym.

Then after 3 qtrs of that nonsense over & over the late 4th qtr arrives the game is slipping out of reach…..NOW we want to run 3-4 WR sets and get aggressive throwing down field..& that puts him in a bad situation b/c usually by this time we’re behind. Now he’s got to attempt passes they havent really let him throw all damn game…

Why is he inaccurate on sideline throws this yr when he was pretty accurate on those throws last yr, particularly to Cooks?
All I can think of is confidence. Early on he was throwing the ball over his receivers head and out of bounds. And now he’s throwing at his receivers feet. He is rushing those throws and his mechanics are way off. Look at his feet when he throws those passes.

Last edited:
hard to keep a rythym when they get schizophrenic with the play calling like that. To top it off, they don’t use much motion, they dont roll the pocket..nothing. Its:

Run 1st down get 2-4 yards
Run 2nd down get stuffed/penalty now its 3rd and medium/long

then on 3rd down its either:

throw the smoke/hitch route for 1 yard….and hope cooks/Moore can run for the rest..usually a fail.

run Pierce and hope he breaks a gazillion tackles for the 1st…or you catch the defense napping on an obvious passing down and he rips off a nice chunk.

throw some 1-read pass play out of max protect a slant or comeback outside the numbers and hope these guys can connect afyer not really doing anything pass wise to get them in rythym.

Then after 3 qtrs of that nonsense over & over the late 4th qtr arrives the game is slipping out of reach…..NOW we want to run 3-4 WR sets and get aggressive throwing down field..& that puts him in a bad situation b/c usually by this time we’re behind. Now he’s got to attempt passes they havent really let him throw all damn game…
Come on brother with the excuses.

Could've swore the Titans were in the AFCCG recently & there's a respected poster who goes on & on about the 49ers.

The theory is sound, that's why the Giants are 7-1 or whatever.

Lovie isn't doing it right, imo. & until he gets playmakers on the outside, guys who can regularly turn a 4 yard pass into a 28 yard TD he's not going to be able to.

Come on brother with the excuses.

it’s not excuses dude..its the reality of this stale, conservative ass offense…and you’ll find that out next year when y’all finally get a new qb in here and the same **** is still happening. At this point you guys are beyond reasoning and evidence.

Me, i’ve seen these circular arguments before…its the qb now….then once we waste another draft pick on a qb and he doesnt/can’t perform b/c the **** he’s surrounded with, y’all will fire up the “its the coaching” argument and will circle back around to “we need a new HC” argument…rinse repeat.

bro you cant be 3 yards and a cloud of dust for 3 qtrs…then ask your qb to go out there and win you the game in the 4th when you’re down 7-10 pts and the game is slipping out of your reach
It could be argued it wouldn't be 3 yards & a cloud of dust if our QB could hit the broad side of a barn.

I kid... he's not that bad. But there were plays there, most of the time, that he flat out didn't make.

I'm not blaming the kid. Like you I believe there are mitigating circumstances, I just don't know what they are.

I remember a couple weeks ago one of the announcers said the Texans led the league in 1st down passing yards. I commented on it in the game day thread.

But it seems for some reason they stopped throwing as much on 1st down.

Could've swore the Titans were in the AFCCG recently & there's a respected poster who goes on & on about the 49ers.

The theory is sound, that's why the Giants are 7-1 or whatever.

Lovie isn't doing it right, imo. & until he gets playmakers on the outside, guys who can regularly turn a 4 yard pass into a 28 yard TD he's not going to be able to.

the problem is those 49ers and Titans teams have/had defenses they could rely on.the Giants record withstanding, Noone believes they’re actually good. Those offenses without the defenses to go with them are exactly what Lovie led teams have been since he lost Harris/Briggs and Urlacher…which is bad teams with worse offenses.

the problem is those 49ers and Titans teams have/had defenses they could rely on.the Giants record withstanding, Noone believes they’re actually good. Those offenses without the defenses to go with them are exactly what Lovie led teams have been since he lost Harris/Briggs and Urlacher…which is bad teams with worse offenses.
pssstttt stop. The point is it's not an antiquated philosophy. Teams without franchise QBs use it to varying degrees.

I agree it doesn't have to be this way. Nico, Howard, Akins, with Pierce catching out of the backfield they should be able to put together a pass oriented run heavy offense.

It could be argued it wouldn't be 3 yards & a cloud of dust if our QB could hit the broad side of a barn.

I kid... he's not that bad. But there were plays there, most of the time, that he flat out didn't make.

I'm not blaming the kid. Like you I believe there are mitigating circumstances, I just don't know what they are.

I remember a couple weeks ago one of the announcers said the Texans led the league in 1st down passing yards. I commented on it in the game day thread.

But it seems for some reason they stopped throwing as much on 1st down.

His advanced splits tell the story:

1668739682009.png
He’s throwing it 20-30% more in the 4th qtr of games than he is in any of the other 3. Why? Mostly b/c we’re always trailing…they’re conservative early and limiting his throws..then as the game gets further and further away from us they ask him to go win it..that puts him at a disadvantage b/c teams are expecting it..and they pin their ears back…or they rush 3 & sit back in nickel or dime packages and wait for the inevitable force in a 3rd/4th “gotta have it” down. Then he/we wonders why we cant finish games.

Last edited:
pssstttt stop. The point is it's not an antiquated philosophy. Teams without franchise QBs use it to varying degrees.

I agree it doesn't have to be this way. Nico, Howard, Akins, with Pierce catching out of the backfield they should be able to put together a pass oriented run heavy offense.

Lol it’s antiquated as hell dude..just b/c a team here and there can employ it doesnt mean its not…

Well, then why are you against firing the HC and OC?

im only against firing Lovie after this 1 year mostly b/c it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense after firing Culley after 1 year. The team wasnt going to win this year..likely not next either…may as well keep him around..hope he has an epiphany at some point and changes his philosophy…long shot but one can dream.

im only against firing Lovie after this 1 year mostly b/c it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense after firing Culley after 1 year. The team wasnt going to win this year..likely not next either…may as well keep him around..hope he has an epiphany at some point and changes his philosophy…long shot but one can dream.
If they don't draft a QB high in 2023, Lovie needs to stick around 1 more year and then bring in a new guy for 2024

Tankathon 4.0 :brando:

View attachment 11100
He’s throwing it 20-30% more in the 4th qtr of games than he is in any of the other 3. Why? Mostly b/c we’re always trailing…they’re conservative early and limiting his throws..then as the game gets further and further away from us they ask him to go win it..that puts him at a disadvantage b/c teams are expecting it..and they pin their ears back…or they rush 3 & sit back in nickel or dime packages and wait for the inevitable force in a 3rd/4th “gotta have it” down. Then he/we wonders why we cant finish games.

Quoted for truth

This has happened many times this yr. It's a flaw in Lovie's system.

You should want Cal to bring Lovie back if it means getting a chance to draft Williams or Maye in 2024. Bring back Mills too for that matter. Having Lovie/Pep/Mills means tanking without having to try to tank. I just dont want Lovie making personnel decisions in the draft next season, since he most likely wont be on Kirby in 2024.

[/QUOTE]
Josh Allen…a guy a certain poster in this thread said reads defenses and moves thru his progressions like “a pro”, has thrown 6 picks in his last 3 games…including 2 red zone picks…all of then have been back breaking, terrible throws that shouldn’t have been made .. and they have cost his team 2 of the last 3 games. Does that mean he’s regressed……or does it mean defenses have caught on to his tendencies and figured out how to defend him?

My point is there’s alot that goes into a qb’s success or failure..its not just all on him and what he’s doing like alot of guys like to view it in a vacuum. B/c as important as the position is to the overall success of the team, it is also the position that needs the most help to be successful..
[QUOTE/]
Excellent post... I would say quite a few good Qbs have "regressed" this year: Herbert, Rodgers, Stafford, Brafy and Murray come to mind. 100% people tend to stick the QB with full credit or blame for the offense's performance, but variables play a big factor. Obviously, we have a lot of changes to be made whoever comes in.

View attachment 11100
100% - that's exactly what's happening. Pep Hamilton needs to stop with the ultra conservative scripting and just let Mills go from the outset. Play with rhythm, let Mills play to his strength in vertical passing. If he throws a pick then so be it. This bullshit offense consistently goes into turtle mode in the 1st half, and by then we're generally down 2 scores and Pep is then forced to open it up 2H... And we see a lot of good results... As well as the mistakes you get from young players playing from behind late in the fourth quarter. Would also if the defense made more stops in the 4th quarter to get into better situations

Reactions: JB
Back