Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills getting no respect

We do not go anywhere with competent QB play. If we had a semblance of that in any of these games, we honestly could be 3-0. There's no way we roll Mills out there again next year if he continues down this path. You take Stroud, Young, Levis, whoever it is if you aren't at one(then it's Anderson maybe.)
Or get a vet in for a couple of years and draft a QB in 2024. Otherwise you've saddle yourself to no championships for a decade. That means way more than winning 3 games and there's no assurance those 3 games would have been won. Don't saddle yourself to this when you don't have too. Desperation is when the worst mistakes are made.

Wow I really don’t understand Texans fans on this forum. What in the bleep you mean you wouldn’t put a decent quarterback on this team yet? What kind of crazy talk is that and several members liked that outlandish comment. Lol smh
You can get decent out of this draft. You can't get great out of this draft.

Lol resident grouch you are....

Not sure why folks think the Texans are so much different from other franchises. You can literally go to every teams' MB and find folks saying the same things about their QB..HC..GM..Owner.

Reality is, winning in the NFL is hard.........really, really..really hard. & what we think is so simple really just isn't. Anyone whose ever taken a snap from under center in a live football game on any level around high school and up as a qb can tell you the field looks a helluva lot different from that view than it does from the great all-22 view us fans get sitting on our couches at the crib.

Last edited:
Time after time players show up and impress, then the longer they are here the more they regress.
Either that or most of us fall for the hype?

Mills is just the latest. Maybe there really is an Astrodome curse on this team? Nah.

Does anyone on this forum really believe Lovie and Pep will accomplish anything here? I don't. Playing for the tie? :smiliepalm:
I've felt this way from the start. A political correctness coaching hire from the outset. Our ownership succumbed to the pressure.
Even Obrien admitted he needed to coach better. Has Lovie?

This franchise is being run by a eunuch. And no, I don't mean Caserio, he was hamstrung. Given the reins I believe he could clean up the mess.

:coffee:
I'm afraid the eunuch is going to make Caserio draft a QB next draft.

Posters can't be patient. Luhnow showed how it's done and posters seem to be happy with the Stros now. Let Caserio follow the Luhnow blueprint. Fans were making the same complaints about the Luhnow rebuild and that rebuild was much tougher than this rebuild.

We do not go anywhere with competent QB play. If we had a semblance of that in any of these games, we honestly could be 3-0. There's no way we roll Mills out there again next year if he continues down this path. You take Stroud, Young, Levis, whoever it is if you aren't at one(then it's Anderson maybe.)
If the Texans were at 3-0 right now, do you really think they would be SB contenders? Not a chance! They would be average and accomplish nothing more than have a much higher draft pick. Even if somehow they made a wild card would they go further? I think not!

We won 4 games with DeShaun Watson, damn near leading the league in passing. Something is very wrong with this team. That something needs to be fixed before we get another QB to waste.

jmo

We won 4 games with DeShaun Watson, damn near leading the league in passing. Something is very wrong with this team. That something needs to be fixed before we get another QB to waste.

jmo

Exactly.

And I'm sure we all have an opinion on what that "something" is you mention. But whatever it is, it isn't another QB.

And if Mills survives all this horseshit called the Texans and turns out to be a real live NFL QB, all the better. Knowing the Texans, that probably won't happen until after we trade him. LOL

Or get a vet in for a couple of years and draft a QB in 2024. Otherwise you've saddle yourself to no championships for a decade. That means way more than winning 3 games and there's no assurance those 3 games would have been won. Don't saddle yourself to this when you don't have too. Desperation is when the worst mistakes are made.
It's a good QB draft this year and there aren't any guarantees that next's year crop is as good nor a guarantee that we pick really high again

It's a good QB draft this year and there aren't any guarantees that next's year crop is as good nor a guarantee that we pick really high again
That's fine. & If Nick Caserio thinks one of them is his guy, then he has to take him. But just because the class is "good" if Nick isn't feeling it, I'd rather he pass.

Reactions: JB
If the Texans were at 3-0 right now, do you really think they would be SB contenders? Not a chance! They would be average and accomplish nothing more than have a much higher draft pick. Even if somehow they made a wild card would they go further? I think not!
And that’s fine, starting off 3-0 is never a bad thing. With that type of starts builds confidence and growth. They next draft you can build upon that growth/success. Last night they showed the Cowboys starting lineup and where they were drafted. All of them were high first round draft picks.

Making the playoffs is a good thing. It gives your team a punchers chance to win it all. Nobody and I mean nobody thought the Bengals would make it that far in the playoffs. Jokers had them only winning maybe 6 games that season.

If they Texans did start off 3-0 guess what that bring those fans back. You bring some type of excitement to your team. Especially after the bull crap that went on the last two seasons.

My take on this is we can have our choice of top 3-4 QBs in the 2023 draft. We really need to use the Cleveland 1st round pick on the best avl OL and continue to build a top OL. When I watch other teams with outstanding OL it is very clear why they move the ball downfield for points.

Not sure why folks think the Texans are so much different from other franchises. You can literally go to every teams' MB and find folks saying the same things about their QB..HC..GM..Owner.

Reality is, winning in the NFL is hard.........really, really..really hard. & what we think is so simple really just isn't. Anyone whose ever taken a snap from under center in a live football game on any level around high school and up as a qb can tell you the field looks a helluva lot different from that view than it does from the great all-22 view us fans get sitting on our couches at the crib.

Texans originated in October 1999. I was 60 yrs old then and have been patiently waiting the last 22 years for some relevant football.

Doubt I have 22 more years of patience. :D

Yes, extremely hard to win in the NFL. And my fear is it's too hard for the current QB, HC, GM, and Owner.

But we do know they'll have at least 2 1st found picks next year and the ability to move as high as needed. If the Texans don't believe any of the QB's this year is the next Manning or Rodgers, they need to pass

And that’s fine, starting off 3-0 is never a bad thing. With that type of starts builds confidence and growth. They next draft you can build upon that growth/success. Last night they showed the Cowboys starting lineup and where they were drafted. All of them were high first round draft picks.
And how many high first round picks do the Texans have in their starting lineup? Do the Texans have the depth the Cowboys do? How many championships do the Cowboys have since the year 2002? How many playoff wins? Do you want to win or just make it to the playoffs? Don't you want a true SB contending team?

Um, not always. The Dolphins had 3 1sts in 2020 but couldn't convince the Bengals to get off the #1 overall pick, Joe Burrow.
Did they really try? How high did their offers go? What other options did the Bengals have?

Who‘s posts are you referring to but no doubt it is something Steel said. Only posts I notice are his references to the draft class. Doesn’t say anything about signing a vet. At this point in time who is the decent ”yet” QB to put on this team? What is your definition of “yet”? Today? Next year? What if they draft another Fields? People can have their opinion about a draft class but everyone wants a good QB. Like the wicked witch of the West said “these things must be done delicately”. Nothing is changing this year. Mills can make this team but he can’t break it. If he starts to jel we are ahead in the QB game. If not we move on. People complain that this team is too old but I believe it is too young. We’ve only had 1 & 1-1/2 drafts the last 2 years. These players are still growing together along with the one year necessary roster fillers. Age isn’t in years but in time playing together. For now Mills has to be a part of that because he potentially can make the biggest difference if it works. He has always said he’s more comfortable in a up tempo game and we’ve seen proof of that. I’m patient enough this year to see if Pep can dial it up more once he gets comfortable with his QB. “Yet” will happen in its proper place.
I’m not talking about anything Steel might have posted. After shuffling through these post a few members thinks the oline is so bad a decent vet wouldn’t perform good. Out of three games Mills has been sacked 7 times. I’m trying to find the stat that shows how many times he’s been pressured. The offensive line has actually protected him a lot better than last season. The problem is Mills accuracy as well as him not going through his progressions. It’s either he’s not doing it or rushing through it. Sunday I actually seen him go through his progressions one time. Therefore, IMO if you bring in a decent veteran quarterback I believe he would perform much better than what we’re seeing from Mills. The commentator kept saying Mills wasn’t setting his feet right on a lot of his throws. His mechanics are way off right now. That’s why he’s wildly inaccurate with his sideline throws.
Some of these people don’t want to draft a quarterback in 2023. Brother if we land the number one pick, CJ Stroud will more and likely be there selection. Caserio already stressed he will do business with David again. So We might as well get ready for all the constant backlash from one particular member. You then can snatch up more talent to fill other areas of need with our 2nd first round pick and picks 2, 3 and 3.

Last edited:
And how many high first round picks do the Texans have in their starting lineup? Do the Texans have the depth the Cowboys do? How many championships do the Cowboys have since the year 2002? How many playoff wins? Do you want to win or just make it to the playoffs? Don't you want a true SB contending team?
It doesn’t F’n matter you still can build on the success from the year before. Making the playoffs should be every teams goal. You act as if making the playoffs is some type of bad thing. I would rather my team make the playoffs every year versus barely winning 4 games every year. Like I said our fanbase has been programmed to have your type of viewpoint.

It doesn’t F’n matter you still can build on the success from the year before. Making the playoffs should be every teams goal. You act as if making the playoffs is some type of bad thing. I would rather my team make the playoffs every year versus barely winning 4 games every year. Like I said our fanbase has been programmed to have your type of viewpoint.
Funny how most of the Playoff teams generally pick in the high 20s & 30s

You're fine with mediocrity. I get that but don't expect everyone to be. I've been a pro football fan since the Oilers inception and after 60 years of not good enough I'm about out of patience. I want to see a winner before I go.

That's why you need a real QB; one who can see the field well.

Not sure why folks think the Texans are so much different from other franchises.

Because the Texans have never been able to get past the 2nd round of the playoffs in two decades.

Other franchises rise, fall, rebuild, and at least make it to conference championship games. We see this cycle repeated over and over with other franchises.

Not the Texans, or the Lions, or the Browns. That's what the Houston Texans are, bottom feeders like these other futile teams.

How to get out of that trend is anyone's guess, but I'd start with the owner. I do not believe the McNairs have it in their DNA to hire championship-caliber winners. They hire conservative, and that's what we see as fans for 20+ seasons. Kubiak was close, but then the owners refused to upgrade the QB (even when a HoF wanted to be here, who went on to play in two more SB's). Instead, they give a fat contract to a mediocre QB that ultimately failed out.

This franchise is simply unable to get a "project player" like Mills and coach him up. I believe David Carr could have been developed into competent QB with another franchise that had the coaches and staff to develop him. Instead, he never had a chance in Houston. Just like Davis Mills. This is a management / coaching thing that the Texans owners never learn to improve at hiring.

The Texans blind squirrel is also deaf and injured most of the time.

And unfortunately he owns the team. :lol:

Any chance Pep is holding Mills back for now because of all the road games we have up front? With the O and D intensely focused on turnovers and takeaways no doubt turnovers in road games can get nasty quickly. To me the Colts game O was played much more aggressively until the O was shut down again in an attempt to run down the clock. Pep has to find a way to get DM in a rhythm to see what can come out of it. The worst case scenario IMO is to get through this year without kicking DM’s tires before next year.

Why don't you mean Caserio? If he has no power to control how the franchise is run, doesn't that make him the eunuch?

NO. Not at all.

Power/control starts and ends with ownership. Cal pizzed the bed.

I doubt that Lovie would have been Caserio's pick.

Do you really think we would be worse off if the dreaded Josh McCown had gotten the job. I don't.

I think Mills would be much better prepared if McCown was in his ear instead of Lovie/Pep. Sadly, we will never know.

There are good QBs in next yrs draft. There are potentially great QBs in the 2024 draft.

I'm not looking for a QB that's a good solid playoff type QB. I'm looking for a really special transcendent type talent and that ain't next yrs QB class. IMHO. Would the Texans probably be 3-0 with Young, Stroud, Levi's? Probably, but that's not what I'm looking for

Do you really think we would be worse off if the dreaded Josh McCown had gotten the job. I don't.
Wins and loss (and ties)? No. As a rebuilding team? Yes. You can't bring in a phony head coach and expect an organization to find solid footing. I can point out coaching mistakes by this staff all day long. But they are legit NFL coaches teaching young players about how to play in the NFL. Stop looking at the record. It's about the process of developing the players that eventually may bring a winning team to their fans. Lovie won't be there when it happens. But he will deserve credit when it does.

You're fine with mediocrity. I get that but don't expect everyone to be. I've been a pro football fan since the Oilers inception and after 60 years of not good enough I'm about out of patience. I want to see a winner before I go.
Making the playoffs every year is considered mediocrity? Wow

I think Mills would be much better prepared if McCown was in his ear instead of Lovie/Pep.
That's ridiculous. McCown whispering sweet nothings in Mills' ears. Mills needs some tough love. A little screaming on the sidelines, ala what Brian Daboll gave to Daniel Jones.

Mills was always a long shot. A hotshot HS project that played little in college and has lower physical ceilings than his peers. I think the Texans have done a better job developing Mills than I would have thought when drafted. At minimum, this guy will be a plus NFL backup QB for 10 seasons. This is nothing like bombing on a JaMarcus Russell.

Any chance Pep is holding Mills back for now because of all the road games we have up front? With the O and D intensely focused on turnovers and takeaways no doubt turnovers in road games can get nasty quickly. To me the Colts game O was played much more aggressively until the O was shut down again in an attempt to run down the clock. Pep has to find a way to get DM in a rhythm to see what can come out of it. The worst case scenario IMO is to get through this year without kicking DM’s tires before next year.
It's been 3 games, two on the road. He's teaching the whole team a brand new offense, with very few in game reps for the "1st team" in preseason games

Davis looked a lot more comfortable Sunday than he had all year. I think it's just a matter of time before we actually see the offense. I expect Davis to have a good game (finally) this week. A fair game on the road against the Jags. Then hopefully a more consistent player after the bye week.

Last edited:
Wins and loss (and ties)? No. As a rebuilding team? Yes. You can't bring in a phony head coach and expect an organization to find solid footing. I can point out coaching mistakes by this staff all day long. But they are legit NFL coaches teaching young players about how to play in the NFL. Stop looking at the record. It's about the process of developing the players that eventually may bring a winning team to their fans. Lovie won't be there when it happens. But he will deserve credit when it does.

So we are on solid footing? :rolleyes:

So far, has this team passed your eye test as an improving team? Anything?

If they manage to score a point in the fourth quarter of any game will that worth celebrating?

If you like the 2024 class better you certainly have the picks to gets your QB.

Reactions: JB
It's been 3 games, two on the road. He's teaching the whole team a brand new offense, with very few in game reps for the "1st team"

Davis looked a lot more comfortable Sunday than he had all year. I think it's just a matter of time before we actually see the offense. I expect Davis to have a good game (finally) this week. A fair game on the road against the Jags. Then hopefully a more consistent player after the bye week.

Keep reminding me TK.

In the meantime I will avoid sharp objects and tall bridges.

That's ridiculous. McCown whispering sweet nothings in Mills' ears. Mills needs some tough love. A little screaming on the sidelines, ala what Brian Daboll gave to Daniel Jones.

Mills was always a long shot. A hotshot HS project that played little in college and has lower physical ceilings than his peers. I think the Texans have done a better job developing Mills than I would have thought when drafted. At minimum, this guy will be a plus NFL backup QB for 10 seasons. This is nothing like bombing on a JaMarcus Russell.

You know what I find very suspicious?

Both names Jack Easterby and Josh McCown’s names’ start with with the letter J…
J is the 10th letter of the alphabet.
Damnnation has 10 letters…

I'm just hoping Caserio holds off until 2024 to draft his QB. Whether Mills is the QB long term or not.

If this team picks #1 this year they are taking a QB. My problem with that is that if this team picks #1 I don’t want the coaching staff that led them to the worst record in the league picking the QB. I’d rather wait until 2024 and give Lovie a chance to pick premier players to load up his specialty (defense) in a perfect world.

Davis Mills has 10 letters in his name and wears #10.

giphy.gif

I think Jack Easterby disagrees with you.

Back