Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

CJ Stroud Success Level (Mark it down)

Where do you think CJ Strouds success level will be in THREE years.

• Elite

• Great

• Good

• Average

• Below Average

• Hot Garbage

• Gone

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m having a darn good day. Just finished smoking up this rig location with the best ribs in Texas.

And I’m going to always come to the defense of these youngsters when they’re being scrutinized and belittled wrongfully. Stroud hasn’t done anything wrong to anyone on this forum period.

But as a public figure he'll be put under a microscope. Surely you understand that? There will always be naysayers for EVERYTHING. None of it's worth getting upset about.

Sometimes the most diplomatic solution is to ignore someone for a bit and move on.

But as a public figure he'll be put under a microscope. Surely you understand that? There will always be naysayers for EVERYTHING. None of it's worth getting upset about.

Sometimes the most diplomatic solution is to ignore someone for a bit and move on.
I understand that but that young man and his mother was blessed and delivered from a rocky life caused by his father’s decision. And to talk down on them like that is flat out wrong. Again he hasn’t done anything wrong to anybody on this forum. Come on we know all know what time it is.

Last edited:

Oh one last thing I haven’t responded to that dude in at least a week now. I was talking to Thunder

His first game was in 2020 with Fields at starting QB. OSU was up big so Stroud got in with 4 min left and never threw a pass but did have 1 rush for 48 yards.
link
I was referring to what I thought was beerlover's projection of Stroud's first NFL season . He said 16 games and gave stats. I queried what happened to 17th game? Perhaps I misunderstood.

I was referring to what I thought was beerlover's projection of Stroud's first NFL season . He said 16 games and gave stats. I queried what happened to 17th game? Perhaps I misunderstood.
My bad... I zoned out and you were talking about his college starts and why he had 1 more game played than games started.

Yikes! And Mills even had slightly better performance his rookie season. With better supporting cast around him, Stroud should statistically shine.
This is what I'm trying to say.

The excuses have already started (look at Harrison getting knocked out and the still shots) and they will get worse if Stroud isn't successful. God forbid he's a middle of the pack QB and somebody starts up a Stroud's a top 5 QB thread.

Don't know what to make of Jarrod Johnson as Mills third qb coach in 3 years. Johnson had a solid college career at A&M. One stat stands out, he has a Big 12 record for throwing 242 consecutive passes without an interception. But he never managed to make an NFL roster, other than practice squad. As a coach, he's had only 3 years, one as assistant qb coach. He's also had two years in a coaching fellowship role, whatever that is.
Johnson hurt his shoulder. He's a really smart guy. I expect him to be a HC one day.

Yikes! And Mills even had slightly better performance his rookie season. With better supporting cast around him, Stroud should statistically shine.
I’m sorry, better supporting cast? They both were set up to lose. Mills never had a number 1 WR. He never had even a decent TE. His OC was about as unimaginative as any OC ever. His head coaches were an imbecile and a has been. His OLine was hot garbage. I don’t see how anyone can think Mills got a fair shake.

I understand why we drafted the way we did but don’t agree with it. I mean Gdam why draft a QB that high and not surround him with legit weapons? Stroud is already behind the 8ball with a first time head coach. A first time OC. A team that was the worst team in the NFL just last year. An oline that has an overrated crappy RT and ? Mark’s at all three interior positions and all will be learning a new system. No number one WR. Honestly no legit #2 WR. he’s more set up to fail than to succeed. And that’s not making excuses for him those are just facts. This entire team still need a lot more talent. Hopefully we add some weapons for him after the cuts.

I’m sorry, better supporting cast? They both were set up to lose. Mills never had a number 1 WR. He never had even a decent TE. His OC was about as unimaginative as any OC ever. His head coaches were an imbecile and a has been. His OLine was hot garbage. I don’t see how anyone can think Mills got a fair shake.

I understand why we drafted the way we did but don’t agree with it. I mean Gdam why draft a QB that high and not surround him with legit weapons? Stroud is already behind the 8ball with a first time head coach. A first time OC. A team that was the worst team in the NFL just last year. An oline that has an overrated crappy RT and ? Mark’s at all three interior positions and all will be learning a new system. No number one WR. Honestly no legit #2 WR. he’s more set up to fail than to succeed. And that’s not making excuses for him those are just facts. This entire team still need a lot more talent. Hopefully we add some weapons for him after the cuts.
So, you projecting the Texans to be the worst team this next season; maybe only 2 or 3 wins? You really don't think the offense is improved?

I remember in 2017 a rookie QB made an Oline look better when that same Oline made other bridge QBs look really bad. QB play does make the difference.
Someone posted an observation and comment, which I agree with, the extent Quessenberry was being pushed back into the pocket. Still to be proved, but I'm expecting significant improvement in this position, giving Stroud a cleaner pocket to work from.

Someone posted an observation and comment, which I agree with, the extent Quessenberry was being pushed back into the pocket. Still to be proved, but I'm expecting significant improvement in this position, giving Stroud a cleaner pocket to work from.
Quoted for truth

No excuses

So, you projecting the Texans to be the worst team this next season; maybe only 2 or 3 wins? You really don't think the offense is improved?
I’m not predicting anything. theres so many questions on this offense/team, there’s no way you can get a read on it now. We have a new RG. Yeah he has been a good player in the past but that doesn’t guarantee he’s going to fit in and be good in this new scheme. Our C needs no explanation i hope. Our LG sucked last year. Is he better now?

add to that a new scheme, a new first time HC and OC, no true #1 WR and your QB is a rookie. That’s a lot to overcome. I’m not optimistic but I’m hoping for the best.

I have to wonder if Mills were to have assets invested in his supporting cast, if the assets given up for a #2 pick QB [ANY #2 pick QB] could have been assets better spent, especially in a rebuild. I have to wonder if Cal did not demand a top draft QB this year, if we wouldn't be ahead of the game. That being said, I hope that there will at very least be an honest QB competition this season between Stroud and Mills.

Took me a while, but I found it. Optimistic Texan, in post #2632, Davis Mills Getting No Respect.
I've made that point in repeated posts throughout last season...............that Q's poor play with a direct up-the-middle total breakdown, created the classic QB's Achilles heel................every QB's Achilles heel, even evident with the GOAT Brady.

Last edited:
I have to wonder if Mills were to have assets invested in his supporting cast, if the assets given up for a #2 pick QB [ANY #2 pick QB] could have been assets better spent, especially in a rebuild. I have to wonder if Cal did not demand a top draft QB this year, if we wouldn't be ahead of the game. That being said, I hope that there will at very least be an honest QB competition this season between Stroud and Mills.
I think there will be a real QB competition and I expect Mills will be starting week 1. I don't know yet if the Texans effectively addressed the Achilles heel on the offensive line. If they did, Mills might not give up the #1 QB position all year. Every fan of the team should want that. I'm not sure that will be the case.

That being said, I hope that there will at very least be an honest QB competition this season between Stroud and Mills.
Mills didn't have competition in 2022. He had 1.25 year audition for the job. Had he performed like an NFL starting QB, we likely wouldn't have had the #2 pick or a new coaching staff. I'm not blaming any of that directly on Mills. He was a 3rd round flyer. But to have an "honest" competition with Stroud, we would have to see abilities yet to be seen from Mills.

Mills didn't have competition in 2022. He had 1.25 year audition for the job. Had he performed like an NFL starting QB, we likely wouldn't have had the #2 pick or a new coaching staff. I'm not blaming any of that directly on Mills. He was a 3rd round flyer. But to have an "honest" competition with Stroud, we would have to see abilities yet to be seen from Mills.
We saw Mills show good abilities at times, without decent support. An "honest" competition would not be based on past performance. Rather, how the 2 QBs perform head-to-head in the present. And may the best man win.

We saw Mills show good abilities at times, without decent support. An "honest" competition would not be based on past performance. Rather, how the 2 QBs perform head-to-head in the present. And may the best man win.

Not disagreeing, but we know that is not how the NFL works. A third round QB who had more potential than actual results in college and struggled during most of his starts over a two-year period isn't going to get honest competition with a #2 pick that took his team to the CFP and finished twice in the top 5 Heisman voting.

Not disagreeing, but we know that is not how the NFL works
Understood, but maybe it should. We know more QBs bust than make a decent career like a Fitzpatrick or Keenum.

If it were me & I got 6 years, yeah I’m drafting my QB in 2023 if I see “my guy.” But I’m not in any hurry to get him on the field.

Not disagreeing, but we know that is not how the NFL works. A third round QB who had more potential than actual results in college and struggled during most of his starts over a two-year period isn't going to get honest competition with a #2 pick that took his team to the CFP and finished twice in the top 5 Heisman voting.
There's an honest debate in San Fransisco on who will be the 49er's starting quarterback - former first round pick Trey Lance, former first round pick Sam Darnold or final pick of the 2022 draft Brock Purdy. And some people believe it's Brock Purdy's job to lose. As it is there, the quarterback that performs the best in pre-season games and practices will start. The object is to win games. Even if ownership put its thumb on the scales in favor of the Texans using the second overall pick for a quarterback, they know nothing sells more merchandise and tickets than winning. Nothing will kill the buzz in Houston for Texans fans more than sending out a quarterback that isn't ready, resulting in a long losing streak to start the season.

Edit - that quarterback could be Mills. There's always the potential he struggles more than Stroud at learning the new schemes.

There's an honest debate in San Fransisco on who will be the 49er's starting quarterback - former first round pick Trey Lance, former first round pick Sam Darnold or final pick of the 2022 draft Brock Purdy. And some people believe it's Brock Purdy's job to lose. As it is there, the quarterback that performs the best in pre-season games and practices will start. The object is to win games. Even if ownership put its thumb on the scales in favor of the Texans using the second overall pick for a quarterback, they know nothing sells more merchandise and tickets than winning. Nothing will kill the buzz in Houston for Texans fans more than sending out a quarterback that isn't ready, resulting in a long losing streak to start the season.

Again, not arguing against. Just being pragmatic in how Owners/GMs think compared to how we as fans think.

I also think that had Trey Lance been able to stay healthy, there isn't a debate about #1 in SF, despite the Mr Irrelevant feel-good story of last season.

So, between Stroud, Case, and Mills, who will be the active two QBs on game day? And what happens to that third one? Or, do you think DeMeco will carry three active QBs each game?

Understood, but maybe it should. We know more QBs bust than make a decent career like a Fitzpatrick or Keenum.

If it were me & I got 6 years, yeah I’m drafting my QB in 2023 if I see “my guy.” But I’m not in any hurry to get him on the field.

And I think Jeremy Pena should be able to lay off the low and away slider, yet here we are.

Listen, I am not defending the way things are done in the NFL, just recognizing it. The NFL is a business and these are business decisions. I want to know what the Texans can do better about improving the team around him and not turn him into another Carr. They are moving in the right direction, but will take more than one year.

So, between Stroud, Case, and Mills, who will be the active two QBs on game day? And what happens to that third one? Or, do you think DeMeco will carry three active QBs each game?

Honest opinion? Ryan starts with Case as active in case Stroud somehow looks really bad. Once he gets confidence that there won't be a crapping the bed scenario, he will shift to Mills to get him more development time, even if it is reps in practice. They need to know what they have in him based on their development plan, not what Culley and Lovie tried to do with him.

I don't think he keeps three active QB's as something like half of this roster has turned over and they have a lot of guys to play and get experience in his system. IMO, of course.

I think there will be a real QB competition and I expect Mills will be starting week 1. I don't know yet if the Texans effectively addressed the Achilles heel on the offensive line. If they did, Mills might not give up the #1 QB position all year. Every fan of the team should want that. I'm not sure that will be the case.
It’s kinda obvious Stroud is starting week 1. Stroud’s accuracy is elite, Mills’ isn’t. Also, Hannah is not having Stroud lose out to Mills.

They can talk all they want to about Stroud having to earn it. (I think he would in a true competition). You don’t take a QB #2, give up all that compensation for him to start behind Mills.

Last edited:
IMO, Case and Stroud are active game day. Case is here to bridge/mentor or whatever for Stroud until the coaches think he's ready. Mills is here because he was drafted by the team (just 2 years ago) and still on that rookie contract, so he'll be around b/c of insurance unless he performs out of this world through training camp and preseason.

Not gonna happen

Gotta pander to a certain part of the fanbase.

Edit - that quarterback could be Mills. There's always the potential he struggles more than Stroud at learning the new schemes.

Purdy, if healthy should be the starting QB, he's played much better than either of these guys. I dont think he's lost a game as the starting QB of the 49ers except the game he got hurt in.

I don't see any reason to give the NFL's 32nd ranked QB an equal share of 1st team reps in camp or preseason. Mills needs to win the 2nd string job from Keenum. My guess it's Keenum's job to lose.

I don't see any reason to give the NFL's 32nd ranked QB an equal share of 1st team reps in camp or preseason. Mills needs to win the 2nd string job from Keenum. My guess it's Keenum's job to lose.
I don't either, let Stroud sink or swim

No excuses

Whichever two DeMeco feels they can win with are the two that I want suited up on game day. I don't care if it's Case and CJ, Mills and CJ, or Mills and Case. I don't care where any of them were drafted (or not drafted). I don't care about "what I would have done." If Stroud's ready for game day, I'm all for it. If he's not, he's not. I can wait. I've been waiting a long time anyway, I can wait a little longer. Some people can't wait. They want to either see him crash and burn so they can say "I told you so" or light it up so they can say "I told you so." But that would never happen on this board, would it?

Btw, if anyone doubts my sincerity, talk to Texanballer. I didn't want Watson to start game one his rookie year (I'm consistent in that), he said over and over he was ready. I disagreed over and over. After Watson's first big game I immediately wrote baller he was right and I was wrong (several times so I properly credited him), and I was happy to be wrong. I'll be happy to be wrong again.

Btw, if anyone doubts my sincerity, talk to Texanballer. I didn't want Watson to start game one his rookie year (I'm consistent in that), he said over and over he was ready. I disagreed over and over. After Watson's first big game I immediately wrote baller he was right and I was wrong (several times so I properly credited him), and I was happy to be wrong. I'll be happy to be wrong again.
Eh... Watson wasn't ready. He was better than Savage.

BO'b should have given him 1st team reps in the offseason, then he might have been ready. But he changed the offense to something that wasn't sustainable to accommodate Watson who didn't know how to read defenses & didn't know the offense

Back