Votes: 14 21.5%
  • A top 7 QB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A top 10 QB

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters
Even Screaming Ahole Smith said there were only 3 guys he would take over Stroud. Mahomes, Jackson and Allen and Allen was iffy. Then after the Cleveland game he said he would only take for sure Mahomes or Jackson. Personally I like what Rex Ryan said when he asked "What if we haven't seen the best of CJ Stroud yet? I had a QB that played his best in the playoffs what if Stroud is the same way?"

I think it would be

1: Mahomes
2: Stroud
3: Jackson
4: Love

I take Stroud over Allen because Stroud has a literally 1% interception rate and that's not playing as a game manager that's in a pass heavy offense. Teams love it when they don't have to worry that their QB giving the ball away while still being able to throw for 300 yards.
Mahomes
Stroud
Burrow
Allen
Jackson

Mahomes is incredible but I don’t understand why Mahomes gets the nod here. It’s -clear- that Stroud is light years ahead of Mahomes’ rookie year. It’s not even close. The man’s -first- ever NFL game was against the #1 team in the AFC and he -managed- that game. Talk about being thrown into the fire. Mahomes had to wait nearly a year. I’m taking Stroud. Easily.

As for Lamar… I think he’s the best running QB in history. Unfortunately I don’t like running QB’s all that much. I want them to throw the ball. We have running backs that can run with the ball. I don’t want to invest in an expensive offensive line, WR, -and- pay the QB… all just to have him run? Nah… give me Joe Blow RB and we’ll let him get banged up instead.

I am going to put Stroud as top 5. Given the things out of a QBs control, personnel, coaching changes and injury; a QB in the top 5(year-in, year out) will give a team the an excellent change to be in and win the Super Bowl.

Top 5 QB for sure, but that scale is often sliding year to year. Injuries happen to both QBs and receivers, and they can derail some progress, but if healthy I expect him to be top 5 every year. I think the team is pretty good on receivers right now, but they certainly could add some more to that unit. However, protecting CJ better needs to be a top priority. If you want him to reach that Top 3 status, we have to get a veteran Left Guard to help bolster the O-line, and consider getting a better Center. Our interior blocking for both pass and run plays could be improved, and I think if they can get CJ more time in the pocket, he can make any average receivers look really good. I also hope they keep Slowik for a while longer, because disrupting the OC/QB relationship may set CJ back while they learn to work together. Let's hope he gets a good pay bump from the Front Office, and is willing to stay for a few years.

CJ!
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Mahomes is incredible but I don’t understand why Mahomes gets the nod here. It’s -clear- that Stroud is light years ahead of Mahomes’ rookie year. It’s not even close. The man’s -first- ever NFL game was against the #1 team in the AFC and he -managed- that game. Talk about being thrown into the fire. Mahomes had to wait nearly a year. I’m taking Stroud. Easily.

Mahomes is still the bar because teams have had years of film on him now and still can't stop him. I think CJ will be the same way but until we see what, if any, sophomore drop he has its hard to say he is better than Mahomas.

Top 5 QB for sure, but that scale is often sliding year to year. Injuries happen to both QBs and receivers, and they can derail some progress, but if healthy I expect him to be top 5 every year. I think the team is pretty good on receivers right now, but they certainly could add some more to that unit. However, protecting CJ better needs to be a top priority. If you want him to reach that Top 3 status, we have to get a veteran Left Guard to help bolster the O-line, and consider getting a better Center. Our interior blocking for both pass and run plays could be improved, and I think if they can get CJ more time in the pocket, he can make any average receivers look really good. I also hope they keep Slowik for a while longer, because disrupting the OC/QB relationship may set CJ back while they learn to work together. Let's hope he gets a good pay bump from the Front Office, and is willing to stay for a few years.

I agree he can make average receivers look good but can you picture what he could do with a Hopkins or Cooper? Dell might be that, he was on track for it, but a couple of more star level weapons and the offense will drop 30+ almost every game. Oline wise its hard to judge because it was a patch work line but they still weren't worse than 19th I think? Which isn't good but its not unworkable. My fear with bringing in new guys for the line is how well and how quickly they will gel. You can have a whole line of pro bowlers but if they can't work together you might as well have a wall of paper.

Slowik I don't think keeping him will be up to us. Even if they throw big money at him that may keep him another year or so but it still won't equal the prestige of being an NFL HC. My hope is that he will look at the teams hiring for a HC and decide he wants no part of whichever dumpster fire comes calling. Though the reality is good teams aren't looking for a HC so at some point he will have to pick his poison.

Mahomes is still the bar because teams have had years of film on him now and still can't stop him. I think CJ will be the same way but until we see what, if any, sophomore drop he has its hard to say he is better than Mahomas.
I understand that but I’m referring to rookie year play. Mahomes had a year to practice while Stroud was thrown into the fire. Plus Mahomes had the best WR/TEs in the league. Stroud is playing with no-name dudes who keep creeping up on the depth chart. This means Stroud is -already- light years ahead therefore… he theoretically -should- be greater than Mahomes.

I understand that but I’m referring to rookie year play. Mahomes had a year to practice while Stroud was thrown into the fire. Plus Mahomes had the best WR/TEs in the league. Stroud is playing with no-name dudes who keep creeping up on the depth chart. This means Stroud is -already- light years ahead therefore… he theoretically -should- be greater than Mahomes.

I agree but the question had nothing to do with rookie play it and the discussion later was about who you would pick if you had to pick right now. It wasn't who had a better rookie year. Look I agree Stroud is top 3 and I firmly believe he will end up better than Mahomes, but right now, today I would still go with Mahomes because I know exactly what I am getting. I know exactly what he can do against all types teams and in the SB and I know where his mind is in regards to helping the team by not breaking the bank with his cap hit. I THINK I know these things about Stroud but until I can see them I'm not sure. So right now, in this moment if you tell me I have to pick a QB to lead my team today I would pick Mahomas. Ask me again this time next year I hope, and yes believe, I will have a different answer.

I don't think it's possible to say with any certainty so OK, we're just guessing and wishing. I still said "Top 10" because I think enough has gone right for him so far to pretty much make that attainable. That's assuming things continue to go right for him. Look at it this way, to just be an NFL QB and get your foot in the door you have to already have the physical talent. To be any good at it at this level you also have to have the mental capacity. Morons need not apply no matter how gifted they are physically. Then you can get in the door and find yourself picked by a franchise that's going nowhere and run by fools where you'll be surrounded by bad picks and coached by bad coaches all hired by an owner who can't get out of his own way. We've seen this again and again.

CJ has so far won the lottery on all of these things he has no control over. By all rights he should have been grabbed by a bad team which the Texans have been for some time but all these different good pieces fell into place. It's awesome. The Texans hired a good GM. He got their act together and they hired DeMeco. He brought quality assistants (That's never guaranteed no matter how good the HC is) Then the season starts and CJ plays great. After a few weeks the world starts to see results in the W/L column.

"Cinderella Season"? Is this a crazy "everything falls into place just this once" kind of thing or is it the way things are going to be for as long as he's playing? I don't know. At first I was just hoping it would keep going and then it did. They made the playoffs. Then they won a game in round one. One postseason win against a WC team is just that. If they pull out a win in Baltimore then they are officially the Cinderella team of the AFC side (I guess Green Bay is the NFC version) and an AFCCG appearance (let alone a win) qualifies this as a magical season.

Is this what every year (more or less) is going to look like for CJ Stroud? He's having a great season. Lots of guys have had great seasons and then settled back into who they are. For the record I think this is who CJ is. He doesn't look at all like this is a performance or an act. I think barring injury or him going off the rails and starting to hang out with Watson or something he is everything he seems and we're in for some great times watching him and the Texans play great football. It has to happen for more than one year before it's really real for real. String together a season or three like this and yeah, he's going to be legendary.

That's because he played in such a weak division for years he hardly ever had to go on the road for a playoff game.

Brady had the advantage also of being in the same locker room, running the same system for the same coaches for longer than most guys ever get to play in one place. That's a situation that almost all the greatest QB's somehow manage to find themselves in. They play for winning teams that have stable ownership and they end up knowing their playbook inside out better than their newest OC. Almost nobody in the NFL gets that. If we see Stroud play 10-15 years here for DeMeco and his staff we are going to be looking at something special indeed.

I agree but the question had nothing to do with rookie play it and the discussion later was about who you would pick if you had to pick right now. It wasn't who had a better rookie year. Look I agree Stroud is top 3 and I firmly believe he will end up better than Mahomes, but right now, today I would still go with Mahomes because I know exactly what I am getting. I know exactly what he can do against all types teams and in the SB and I know where his mind is in regards to helping the team by not breaking the bank with his cap hit. I THINK I know these things about Stroud but until I can see them I'm not sure. So right now, in this moment if you tell me I have to pick a QB to lead my team today I would pick Mahomas. Ask me again this time next year I hope, and yes believe, I will have a different answer.
I don’t disagree with any of that. I think I may have misread how the question was asked. You said who would you take -right now-. The way I interpreted it was this…

Who would you want by year 3.

I’m taking Stroud. Period. His upside is greater than Mahomes was when Mahomes where stroud is now.

Hope that helps clarify any confusion I may have caused.

This is going to be a controversial take, but from watching and listening to CJ talking about his past and how he now leads his life, I agree with CK that CJ intends to be the, not one of, but THE greatest QB of all time, which he knows, barring major injury, would entail years and years and years of total absolute commitment. He has both the talent and the locker room that’s got his back.
So he has to stay away from the Instagram hotties and the jet skis?

Maybe the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet but who is CK?

And CJ is already a top 5 QB in the NFL and can become the best QB in the NFL next season. Only reason why he isn't the best now is because he doesn't have the multi-year resume yet. But I'm not picking any QB over CJ right now, even Mahomes.

CK is obviously Clark Kent AKA Superman

I think it would be

1: Mahomes
2: Stroud
3: Jackson
4: Love

I take Stroud over Allen because Stroud has a literally 1% interception rate and that's not playing as a game manager that's in a pass heavy offense. Teams love it when they don't have to worry that their QB giving the ball away while still being able to throw for 300 yards.

LOL Jesus h Christ..... I'm a huge fan of the kid, but come on. Already ranked #2??

So he has to stay away from the Instagram hotties and the jet skis?

Not to get religious but one of the big difference between Stroud and Watson is Stroud's faith. Whether you believe or not is your own choice but the fact is that the Christian faith, like most religions, has a set of codes and ethics which are against that kind of thing. Taking Stroud at his word he clearly believes in his religion so that might discourage him from actions that conflict with the teachings of that religion. Now once money and fame hit he wouldn't be the first to turn his back on his beliefs nor the last but it is a foundation and grounding that many players either don't have or don't have as strongly.

I am -not- religious in any way whosoever, in fact… I consider myself a “non-believer”. That being said… I thank god every day for CJ Stroud being a Houston Texan.

Brady had the advantage also of being in the same locker room, running the same system for the same coaches for longer than most guys ever get to play in one place. That's a situation that almost all the greatest QB's somehow manage to find themselves in. They play for winning teams that have stable ownership and they end up knowing their playbook inside out better than their newest OC. Almost nobody in the NFL gets that. If we see Stroud play 10-15 years here for DeMeco and his staff we are going to be looking at something special indeed.
Great point

LOL Jesus h Christ..... I'm a huge fan of the kid, but come on. Already ranked #2??
Considering the seemingly untapped potential of Stroud (still a rookie right now), where do you see him? Keep in mind this whole team had a 99.9% vote of being the worst roster in the NFL last season?

I don’t disagree with any of that. I think I may have misread how the question was asked. You said who would you take -right now-. The way I interpreted it was this…

Who would you want by year 3.

I’m taking Stroud. Period. His upside is greater than Mahomes was when Mahomes where stroud is now.

Hope that helps clarify any confusion I may have caused.
Have you looked at what Mahomes has done in his career? I love Stroud, but we can only hope Stroud accomplishes what Mahomes has accomplished in his career.

Not to get religious but one of the big difference between Stroud and Watson is Stroud's faith. Whether you believe or not is your own choice but the fact is that the Christian faith, like most religions, has a set of codes and ethics which are against that kind of thing. Taking Stroud at his word he clearly believes in his religion so that might discourage him from actions that conflict with the teachings of that religion. Now once money and fame hit he wouldn't be the first to turn his back on his beliefs nor the last but it is a foundation and grounding that many players either don't have or don't have as strongly.

Derrick claimed to have these qualities too. Hopefully CJ is different.

Also I hope CJ never gets baptized in the River Jordan. I still have bad memories of that.

Well Derrick is one of the guys Stroud looks up too. LMAO

I can understand why, you look at Watson's story growing up and it is inspiring and I can see how Stroud coming from a similar hard background would look at what Watson achieved and say I want to achieve that to. This is where the saying don't meet your heroes comes from. Bill Cosby was a PoS in real life but that doesn't erase my memories of sitting and watching his show and standup routines with my parents.

I can understand why, you look at Watson's story growing up and it is inspiring and I can see how Stroud coming from a similar hard background would look at what Watson achieved and say I want to achieve that to. This is where the saying don't meet your heroes comes from. Bill Cosby was a PoS in real life but that doesn't erase my memories of sitting and watching his show and standup routines with my parents.
Plus Stroud chose the same freakin agent Derrick did. That's what made me so skeptical.

With Didva from the ienrn yitc (Word scramble is fun and I'm staying within a certain mods rules that he made up on the fly) will make sure the Texans are screwed cap wise after yr 3. Didva will make Stroud the highest paid QB in the league guaranteed. The question is Didva leave enough wiggle room to get a couple of more yrs of championship contention.

For the record, the owner of the site has no problem with certain mods that "make up rules on the fly", especially when that rule is dealing with blatant racism and stupid crap.

Now, if you want to discuss this nonsensical take, please PM me. This is not the thread to throw shade on an all volunteer group that is dedicated to keeping this place civil.

Considering the seemingly untapped potential of Stroud (still a rookie right now), where do you see him? Keep in mind this whole team had a 99.9% vote of being the worst roster in the NFL last season?

Oh I even voted top 3 in three years for him. I just don't think he's there right now, as we type

Plus Stroud chose the same freakin agent Derrick did. That's what made me so skeptical.

I'm not sure what your issue with him picking Mulugheta is honestly. Yeah he's a slimeball that tried to screw over the Texans but frankly thats his job. If his client says I want off this team and moved to a "better" team then its his job to find a way to make it happen. If he can find someone stupid enough to give that client a massive contract at the same time then that to is his job. I use to love watching Fraiser and there was an episode where he changes agents because he wants someone moral and upstanding. In the episode he almost gets completely taken on his new contract till he switches to his old agent who was an absolute witch. As much as that is just TV it has stuck with me that some jobs are not meant for paragons of virtue they are meant for people willing to get in the mub.

I'm not sure what your issue with him picking Mulugheta is honestly. Yeah he's a slimeball that tried to screw over the Texans but frankly thats his job. If his client says I want off this team and moved to a "better" team then its his job to find a way to make it happen. If he can find someone stupid enough to give that client a massive contract at the same time then that to is his job. I use to love watching Fraiser and there was an episode where he changes agents because he wants someone moral and upstanding. In the episode he almost gets completely taken on his new contract till he switches to his old agent who was an absolute witch. As much as that is just TV it has stuck with me that some jobs are not meant for paragons of virtue they are meant for people willing to get in the mub.
Some posts are with words re-arranged. Are you saying "meant for people willing to get in the bum"?

😵‍💫

One thing you will learn is that often around here the topic of the post and the content of the thread go in different directions.
It's because life moves pretty fast.

I remember one day I was reading a thread here and then I heard a ding and I remembered I was reheating my taco meat.

I've had food poisoning 4 times from taco bell. Thats why I stopped going.

Hopefully this weekend Singletary will pretend he is me on those taco bell weekends and get a lot of major runs to take pressure off CJ and his legacy can begin.

They helped Derrick in his quest to prey on women. Plus all of the other stuff. Forgot to add that he's a racist. Of course that should be expected since he went to Harvard/Stanford.

Last edited:
For the record, the owner of the site has no problem with certain mods that "make up rules on the fly", especially when that rule is dealing with blatant racism and stupid crap.

Now, if you want to discuss this nonsensical take, please PM me. This is not the thread to throw shade on an all volunteer group that is dedicated to keeping this place civil.
I've said my piece, nothing else needs to be said.

lol, here's an Instagram post of Deshaun Watson's visit to Israel where he gets baptized in the Jordan River and makes all sorts of claims about his Christian life.
Dude talked the talk for years. From what I heard, he was a Boy Scout type of person at Clemson, who took his classes seriously and actually completed his degree in 3 years before entering the draft. Not a lot of football "student athletes" bother graduating early before drafting. Dude was a "good guy" until he wasn't.

He passed all the character concerns for the Texans, who are notorious for avoiding "bad" guys or whatever. None of it means anything as to future behaviors, there are plenty of shitty people from all walks of life. However it's pretty uncommon for an NFL starting QB to crash and burn like Watson did. I think Michael Vick might be the closest comp to that sort of downward spiral, but he was actually pretty good when he re-joined the league.

lol, here's an Instagram post of Deshaun Watson's visit to Israel where he gets baptized in the Jordan River and makes all sorts of claims about his Christian life.
Dude talked the talk for years. From what I heard, he was a Boy Scout type of person at Clemson, who took his classes seriously and actually completed his degree in 3 years before entering the draft. Not a lot of football "student athletes" bother graduating early before drafting. Dude was a "good guy" until he wasn't.

He passed all the character concerns for the Texans, who are notorious for avoiding "bad" guys or whatever. None of it means anything as to future behaviors, there are plenty of shitty people from all walks of life. However it's pretty uncommon for an NFL starting QB to crash and burn like Watson did. I think Michael Vick might be the closest comp to that sort of downward spiral, but he was actually pretty good when he re-joined the league.
Yep and that's what made me skeptical, Stroud looked up to Derrick, Vick and had the same agent as Derrick. Surely y'all can see why I was skeptical?

Back