Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Chron.com] Dunta outlines terms

The Texans should take a cornerback with their first pick. They should also trade down if possible.

Unbelievable. Dunta is being a huge pain...I'm starting to not even want him anymore because of this fiasco, regardless of his on the field contribution.

On another note...why does Demeco insist on being paid higher than a top 5 MLB salary? I don't get why suddenly our players are trying to milk the FO dry.

I had been saying "trade his butt" ever since the first whiff of this situation was made public.

Now you guys are really seeing what I was talking about: There's a point where Dunta forgot everything, and he's technically crushing everything in his path (including his own best interests).

It's sad and angering all at the same time. Here we are, perhaps on the verge of being a true playoff contender...and Dunta pulls this crap? GTFO is exactly right.

hey mods can i change my name please im embarrassed of mying these days

Yes, I know that they allowed me to change mine when I first re-registered here a few years back.

And I know they have done it for another person.

Ask one of them with a PM.

Really dissappointing. The article says he was offered $23 million guaranteed...if that's correct, isn't that top of the line CB money? Don't know why he didn't take that then. I think he's great, but c'mon...he's coming off a devastating injury, and he hasn't made a Pro Bowl. Sounds like the offer was more than fair, and he's just being spiteful now.

**** him

he wants to be here but doesnt want to get franchised? BS- fvck him. hes overrated as **** around here anyway. get a 2nd and draft butler or smith. you wont notice any difference

He really is getting some bad career advice...I cannot believe he would pass up on 23 million. That blows my mind.

Agree not to Franchise tag him, then Transition tag his ass.

...and then somebody gives him a contract thats says they'll pay him a $30m bonus if he plays 4 games in texas in '09 & we get nothing.

what we could do is say we wont give him the franchise tag and hope theres no CBA & then use the scrubs joke & give him the other one (we'll get two)

D-Rob is starting to get a serious case of "delusions of grandeur".
At any rate, the Texans seem to want to keep him on Board no matter what ?

Make a Pro-Bowl and lead the league in a category or two and then he'll have the right to *****. Hes really starting to get on the verge of becoming a primadonna.

It is ashamed. He was one of my favorites for a long time. I say trade him if he doesn't step up. Hopefully Demeco doesn't further the craziness, now that he replaced his agent.

Trade him. Trade him now, get a first, or a second and third, in next years draft. He is a good player, but enough of this garbage.

Don't do anything. He has been franchised. If he wants to sit, let him sit. He'll be losing money and ruining his rep all at once. I never thought I'd see this from Dunta

This guy ant nothing but a lil ***** .. how we ended up with the player's who want more than there worth.. I understand demeco, even though he should be happy to be paid top 5 lb, but this peace of **** is not being understanding at all.. what else did he expect, we should trade his *** asap, we don't need a guy like him on this team.. talk about character issues

Dunta Robinson
We’re not selfish guys.

Yeah right.... This is a joke. I used to love Dunta. Now, I just want him gone. The guy is becoming a cancer. He is getting paid $10 mil and got offered $23 mil guaranteed; he hasn't been happy with any of it. Ship him off.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Dunta!!!!!!!

Can you trade a player with a franchise tag? And who would trade to pay the kind of money the Texans don't want to play? Robinson wants the kind money he would have gotten if wasn't injured and he may deserve it, but has hasn't proven it yet. His agent really screwed him up and overplayed his hand. I think Robinson has a great comeback season this year and the Texans show him the money, but he needs to prove that he's still worth that kind of cash.

Can you trade a player with a franchise tag? And who would trade to pay the kind of money the Texans don't want to play? Robinson wants the kind money he would have gotten if wasn't injured and he may deserve it, but has hasn't proven it yet. His agent really screwed him up and overplayed his hand. I think Robinson has a great comeback season this year and the Texans show him the money, but he needs to prove that he's still worth that kind of cash.

Didnt the Pats trade Cassel right after franchising him?

I like Dunta, but even with the Carr situation, you could see Dunta wasn't very diplomatic or concerned about being a team player.

That said, I hope they work things out and he can be here when the Texans get to the playoff team tier in the NFL.

I like Dunta, but even with the Carr situation, you could see Dunta wasn't very diplomatic or concerned about being a team player.

That said, I hope they work things out and he can be here when the Texans get to the playoff team tier in the NFL.

I am glad someone else said that, he threw Carr under the bus after he had a whopping 2 picks in 2006 coming aftera 1 pick 2005. I know Carr wasnt great but at least after he stunk it up he shut his mouth.

This is exactly who he is and was I can't believe some of you are shocked. I have cracked on him over the years as being overrated and gotten hammered for it, but oh well, everything comes to light in time.

Hey Dunta, why don't you try accomplishing something before you demand something. Your numbers dictate you are an average corner, yet you want top 3 money, great example of a team leader.

I keep thinking we could've had Jenkins for little as opposed to dealing with Dunta's demands. Trade him for a pick next year.

Are you kidding? He said what everyone else was afraid to say. Everything that was being said here. Get over it. THE, yes THE, problem on the team was Carr and his sub-par play. An old couch potato Vinny T. beat him out. Holding his words that long was being a team player.

This is a business. He plays his cards, the FO plays their cards. Let it be. He is well within his rights to get all the money he can get. I hope he has a great season and gets paid what he's worth. If he has a crappy season, then he'll paid accordingly.

I am glad someone else said that, he threw Carr under the bus after he had a whopping 2 picks in 2006 coming aftera 1 pick 2005. I know Carr wasnt great but at least after he stunk it up he shut his mouth.

This is exactly who he is and was I can't believe some of you are shocked. I have cracked on him over the years as being overrated and gotten hammered for it, but oh well, everything comes to light in time.

Hey Dunta, why don't you try accomplishing something before you demand something. Your numbers dictate you are an average corner, yet you want top 3 money, great example of a team leader.

I'd take a dozen disgruntled Duntas over one happy Carr

This is a sad situation. Dunta is a player I've loved rooting for for the past 5 seasons. Unfortunately, it's difficult to understand his attitude when he was offered a $23 million signing bonus and he's being given a one year $10 million contract after turning that down. Considering he already has been paid first round money, I can't sympahtise with him.

I think, as an organization, we just have to call his bluff. It will cost him $550,000 every game he misses not to mention the money he loses if his play suffers next year. The front office can't let him dictate terms this way, IMO.

Overreacting a little here? Sitting out the preseason is SOP for tagged players. Unless they get the tag waived in future years. The Texans knew that when Dunta was given the tag.

Signing Dunta long term would have been a bad move by the Texans. No one knows if Robinson will recover completely. A one year deal is the way to go. Yes, the franchise contract is a little steep, but that's the price of playing poker.

Dunta is betting on himself to have a great '09 season. He will show up for the entire 16 games that count, and give his best effort in a contract year. Which is why I say the team should give Robinson the promise to not franchise in 2010. If he meets incintives. The Texans will have exclusive rights to re-sign Robinson through the season and up until the 2010 free agency period. Which may be a cap free year. If Dunta plays like a top 5 CB, pay the man. If not, let him sign with another team and use free agency/draft to find his replacement.

I see a lot of anger in this thread aimed at Dunta and I think it is almost all misplaced. You guys have your feelings hurt over this because you like Dunta and he's basically heading for the door.

Dunta Robinson wants to leave Houston. That's as clear to me as the light of day. He has turned down a generous offer. He has made an issue of being franchised and turned the process into a "They lied to me" accusation. He's now saying that he won't take 9 MILLION DOLLARS to suit up for the Texans unless they promise not to franchise him again.

There's really no other logical explanation for this. Dunta wants out of here and he's willing to say whatever he has to say or do whatever he has to do to get that result. He's playing his own little Jay Cutler game to get out of town and that is entirely understandable in the NFL. Lots of guys do it and I don't want any of them on my team either. I thought Dunta was indispensable to the Texans going into 2009 but have come to the conclusion that no matter how much I like the guy and his game he's not going to be worth the kind of money it would take to get him to stay here and be "Dunta Robinson" for us next year.

I'm ok with sending him on his way at this point. The Texans will likely not blink and really shouldn't but by the time Dunta reports to the team whether it's in training camp or sometime in the regular season they should be preparing for life without him and looking at potential partners in a sign-and-trade deal if they can find one.

We should all hope that Bennett gets his groove back this year and that Molden can be the guy we hope he can be. Reeves can hold down one of those spots for a while but we're going to be replacing Dunta shortly and it will be the right thing to do.

Man, I'm pretty fvcking upset with Dunta. He was my favorite Texan up until recently. I understand the business side of this situation. Hell, we all do. But for Dunta to act the way he's acting right now, to hell with him. The team offered him a more than fair deal. He and his agent turned it down. Repeat, the Texans offered him $23 million in guaranteed money for 2 Ints last year and He and his agent turned it down. Now, he wants to tell the team the way it's going to be? He's on TV talking about not playing in some regular season games next season. And why, because he wants to get paid what he's feels like he's worth, and nearly $10 million in this economy just isn't good enough. $23 million guaranteed dollars in this economy just isn't good enough. What an asshole! Way to alienate the hardcore, hard-working fans of this city you moron. I don't usually berade any player for getting as much money as they can, but Dunta is freaking ridiculous. He's not Asomugha. He's not Champ. No team in the NFL will pay him like he's one of those players either (well, except for Daniel Snyder). But he's thrown this huge *****-fit like the Texans are just a horrible organization and bad business people. Bullspit Dunta!

I truly believe that if he had already signed the franchise tag contract, the Texans would have traded him today. And I for one would have been all for it. Fvck you Dunta!

I see a lot of anger in this thread aimed at Dunta and I think it is almost all misplaced. You guys have your feelings hurt over this because you like Dunta and he's basically heading for the door.

Dunta Robinson wants to leave Houston. That's as clear to me as the light of day. He has turned down a generous offer. He has made an issue of being franchised and turned the process into a "They lied to me" accusation. He's now saying that he won't take 9 MILLION DOLLARS to suit up for the Texans unless they promise not to franchise him again.

There's really no other logical explanation for this. Dunta wants out of here and he's willing to say whatever he has to say or do whatever he has to do to get that result. He's playing his own little Jay Cutler game to get out of town and that is entirely understandable in the NFL. Lots of guys do it and I don't want any of them on my team either. I thought Dunta was indispensable to the Texans going into 2009 but have come to the conclusion that no matter how much I like the guy and his game he's not going to be worth the kind of money it would take to get him to stay here and be "Dunta Robinson" for us next year.

I'm ok with sending him on his way at this point. The Texans will likely not blink and really shouldn't but by the time Dunta reports to the team whether it's in training camp or sometime in the regular season they should be preparing for life without him and looking at potential partners in a sign-and-trade deal if they can find one.

We should all hope that Bennett gets his groove back this year and that Molden can be the guy we hope he can be. Reeves can hold down one of those spots for a while but we're going to be replacing Dunta shortly and it will be the right thing to do.

Why do you think the anger is misplaced? Your posting above is the perfect argument for being po'd at him...

Why do you think the anger is misplaced? Your posting above is the perfect argument for being po'd at him...

Because it's not your body, your job, your livlihood or your battle to be upset over. This is DRob's prerogative and the FO's battle.

Because this is professional football and if Dunta is being a complete jerk then he's in the right place to do it. Perhaps "misplaced" isn't the word I was looking for. I'm trying to say that we should have all seen this coming and that nobody should get mad about it because this happens all the time in the NFL and will happen at regular intervals for as long as we have a team in the league.

Man, I'm pretty fvcking upset with Dunta. He was my favorite Texan up until recently. I understand the business side of this situation. Hell, we all do. But for Dunta to act the way he's acting right now, to hell with him. The team offered him a more than fair deal. He and his agent turned it down. Repeat, the Texans offered him $23 million in guaranteed money for 2 Ints last year and He and his agent turned it down. Now, he wants to tell the team the way it's going to be? He's on TV talking about not playing in some regular season games next season. And why, because he wants to get paid what he's feels like he's worth, and nearly $10 million in this economy just isn't good enough. $23 million guaranteed dollars in this economy just isn't good enough. What an asshole! Way to alienate the hardcore, hard-working fans of this city you moron. I don't usually berade any player for getting as much money as they can, but Dunta is freaking ridiculous. He's not Asomugha. He's not Champ. No team in the NFL will pay him like he's one of those players either (well, except for Daniel Snyder). But he's thrown this huge *****-fit like the Texans are just a horrible organization and bad business people. Bullspit Dunta!

I truly believe that if he had already signed the franchise tag contract, the Texans would have traded him today. And I for one would have been all for it. Fvck you Dunta!

I agree even though the end of this was a little harsh JBZ.

Dunta needs to stop acting like he's some ELITE CB or a guy that suited up for the last two years as a Pro Bowler. He's been hurt a lot and needs to improve in coverage as well. Hopefully we can get these issues resolved and move forward where he is playing his ass off this season for a big contract next year.

Because this is professional football and if Dunta is being a complete jerk then he's in the right place to do it. Perhaps "misplaced" isn't the word I was looking for. I'm trying to say that we should have all seen this coming and that nobody should get mad about it because this happens all the time in the NFL and will happen at regular intervals for as long as we have a team in the league.

I understand what you're saying, but look at the caliber of players that usually act this way. Peppers, Boldin, Suggs, Nnamdi-Dunta is no where close to being as good as any of these players. And yes, we should be mad because the fans of the Texans absolutely freakin loved Dunta. We're like scorned lovers right now!

I truly believe that if he had already signed the franchise tag contract, the Texans would have traded him today.
First, everyone chill out on the cute misspellings. If you you can't communicate your thoughts and feelings without resorting to profanity in a public forum, you're a lousy communicator.

Second, if there was a team willing to give Robinson the contract he wants, the Texans would have been able to sign and trade Dunta. Signing the franchise contract is meaningless, at this point.

Does anyone remember how acrimonious the contract negotiations were between Da Bears and tagged OLB Lance Briggs? Guess what? Briggs eventually re-signed mid-season and is still with the team. Typical contract stuff in the NFL. I realize our franchise is young compared to the rest of the league. But, I would expect a more sophistacated and knowledgable response from football fans here in Houston. It's not as if we just fell off the pro football turnip truck.

Now, see this makes a lot more sense. I see your point. The only thing about this is that he is NOT an elite player like most who behave this way. Like I said, I didn't understand your point originally, but now I see what you were trying to say...

Dunta needs to stop acting like he's some ELITE CB or a guy that suited up for the last two years as a Pro Bowler. He's been hurt a lot and needs to improve in coverage as well. Hopefully we can get these issues resolved and move forward where he is playing his ass off this season for a big contract next year.

IMO, that's the worst part of the entire situation. Dunta's not that good. He is a solid CB, and has been one of the few bright spots on a team lacking talent. But other than his outstanding rookie year, they guy has just been average. and he certainly is not top 5 at his position.

To top it off, he still isn't fully recovered from a major injury. I just don't get it. What does he see in himself to have such high standards? I think the 23million offer was about right, if not too high. And like JBZ mentioned, I don't see where any other team out there is going to offer him any more than what the Texans are.

Does anyone remember how acrimonious the contract negotiations were between Da Bears and tagged OLB Lance Briggs? Guess what? Briggs eventually re-signed mid-season and is still with the team. Typical contract stuff in the NFL. I realize our franchise is young compared to the rest of the league. But, I would expect a more sophistacated and knowledgable response from football fans here in Houston. It's not as if we just fell off the pro football turnip truck.

And how has the Lance Briggs situation worked out for the TEAM?

First, everyone chill out on the cute misspellings. If you you can't communicate your thoughts and feelings without resorting to profanity in a public forum, you're a lousy communicator.

Second, if there was a team willing to give Robinson the contract he wants, the Texans would have been able to sign and trade Dunta. Signing the franchise contract is meaningless, at this point.

Sorry I'm not as PC as you'd like me to be. After watching his interview on Fox with Berman, that's exactly how I felt so I expressed it that way.

As to your point, it's pretty hard to negotiate trading a player to another team if he isn't even under contract with you. You'd be wasting their time. And is Dunta a Lance Briggs? Nooooo! Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Briggs coming off of a season when he helped lead his team to the Super Bowl? Wasn't he one of the top 3 OLBs in the league at that point? He had a reasonable gripe. What kind does Dunta have to be making as much noise and demands as he's making now? Exactly, none. We're not dumb fans. That's why I and most of us are upset with the way he's acting.

Last edited:
Prepare for a Dunta-less Texans team by drafting a good CB on Sunday. That's what I'd do, at any rate.

I hope we don't cave on his demand because he will be gone with zero compensation at the beginning of FA next year. It would also set a bad precedent for future players that might get the tag. Let him sit out TC, he won't miss any game time, no one ever does. See how he plays this season and either sign him to a nice deal or (more likely) get whatever we can in a trade. He will be missed but I like the potential of Molden and Bennett.

Trade his a$$. The dollar signs were there for a reason.

Well Carolina just gave up a pick......what would they give us in 2010 for Robinson ? I'd give him what he wants and then try to work a deal for 2010.

Walking out, and I don't care how big of an ego you've got, on 9.7 million is just insane. That's the kind of money that sets up a family like for ever. He wants out....let him out.

Back