Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Carr's latest excuses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what's Carr's excuse today? He had plenty of time to throw today and still ran himself into sacks while looking completely confused the entire game.

And a note to Big Dave.... the opposing team knows that every time you audible it is a run off left tackle. Try to change it up every once in a while.

the wonger need food said:
So, what's Carr's excuse today? He had plenty of time to throw today and still ran himself into sacks while looking completely confused the entire game.

And a note to Big Dave.... the opposing team knows that every time you audible it is a run off left tackle. Try to change it up every once in a while.
Have you considered the possibility that Carr isn't the guy who gameplans the checks on the line? That he's given the play to check into when he sees a certain defensive front? Dude's just following orders.

The Texans win and you can't back off for even a day?

The audible problem is the COACHES fault.

In an interview, Carr blew the whistle on Capers & Co. by saying that "..the only audible he's allowed to do is to switch a run play from one side to the other..."

So, it's the coaches fault on that one. Heck, if we all know about it...obviously the opponents' scouting teams know about it too. That's what so frustrating: Our coaching staff is a bunch of tards.

My wife thinks I'm psychic when I say, "Watch, this will be a running play..." And she's creeped out when it IS a running play every time I see Carr audibling. She asks me how I know it, and I told her that some posters here heard an interview with Carr, etc., etc., and she was laughing when I got finished telling her "If someone like me knows this, what else do you think the OPPONENTS know in addition to this one little obvious playcalling snafu?"

Carr is just 50-50. Bradford dropped a legitimate pass, but there was another time when the defender made a good play and wrestled the ball out of Bradford's hands. Then you have times when Carr ran out of bounds instead of staying in bounds to keep the clock running or to force Cleveland to call a timeout.

I used to be hard-core anti-Carr...but now I'm 50-50 on this guy. He'l make great passes and then he'll make bone-head decisions, such as running out of bounds or running into a sack when the line gave him great protection. The least he could do is just throw it at the feet of a downfield receiver.

And by the way, does our coaching team know about the fade stop route...where Gafney could have been told in the huddle, "Gaff, if you see the blitz coming to me, stop and come back 'cause I'm throwing it to the 10-yard line behind you."

We could victimize teams with the fade stop if we wanted to.

Overall, we played a team that's just like us. It's a win, and I'll take it (especially since we now will not be 0-16) but this coaching staff tried very hard to throw the game again.

i cant see the receivers but for some reason i got the impression that his guys werent getting open that much. gaffney seemed to be getting open because he runs crisp routes and mathis can just outrun everyone. 1 sack was a great play by the defender. as for the audibles...im not gonna blame him for the coaching staff only letting him audible to 1 or 2 different plays

carr looked like he put pretty good touch on the ball on a few plays as well. i saw a glimpse of the minnesota game today.

now for a weird observation. ragone is a lefty but i see him write on the clipboard with his right hand. THAT is talent people. i can hardly put a spiral when i try to throw a football with my left hand.

Some of the plays he got screwed on were great reads by the D and Carr did the smart thing and protected the ball. On the fake reverse debacle he was smart and just gave his team MVP Chad Stanley a chance to punt.

And though I am a big DD homer...

DD could have laid a chip block to stop Carr from getting sacked on the busted fake end around...but he let his guy go right to Carr. DD sometimes releases to the safety valve position too quickly instead of staying with Carr for blocking duties.

That one was on DD.

gpshafer_1976 said:
That one was on DD.
No, the play is designed to go to Davis in the flat. See the DD touchdown reception vs. Pittsburgh and the catch & run TD at Seattle. The Browns MLB read it & made the play. Sometimes you just have to credit the opposition.

I thought that for a second, but the way I saw it...

DD's body language looked like he knew he wasn't going to get to the block so he tried to release and give Carr "an out" and it didn't work as DD planned.

I didn't think this particular play was designed to go to DD from the beginning.

But that's just me.

It looked like Carr wasn't even trying to find Davis the whole play, and I thought Carr was having receivers coming back across the field rolling with him. The angle the TV cameras gave us on TV didn't show the receivers in the screen: It was all Carr and DD on the TV, so I couldn't tell about the routes the receivers were running.

Lucky said:
The Browns MLB read it & made the play. Sometimes you just have to credit the opposition.

Andre Davis didn't bite at all on that play. The fake reverse didn't even cause him a second of hesitation. He zeroed in on Carr and the play was over in a hurry.

We were very lucky to make it out of this game with a win.

Lest we all forget, Grantham was our DL coach up until this year. Do you think he can get inside Capers head a little bit? Now you know Capers knows this, and yet he gameplanned the same old stupid way he always does. Mr. predictable! And perish the thought of even trying to do some adjustments at halftime! Now you see how bad Cleveland must really be if we still beat 'em after all that!

he didnt look confused to me and he only got sacked twice.

honestly, it is hard to find an open WR, when you are staring down one guy. My brother and I were talking about this while watching the game. He said that he would love to be a DB playing against Carr. He said that you always know where Carr is going to throw it, so it makes covering the WR so much easier. I can actually say that I don't remember a single time that Carr checked down. He locked onto his 1st option until he either threw the ball or took off running.

tulexan said:
when Bradford is your other option I would be locking on one receiver too.
your argument doesn't hold water...Carr locked onto Bradford also. Every time Carr threw to Bradford, he was locked onto him the whole way.

vtech9 said:
honestly, it is hard to find an open WR, when you are staring down one guy. My brother and I were talking about this while watching the game. He said that he would love to be a DB playing against Carr. He said that you always know where Carr is going to throw it, so it makes covering the WR so much easier. I can actually say that I don't remember a single time that Carr checked down. He locked onto his 1st option until he either threw the ball or took off running.

he does lock on to his reciever a little to much. but there were several times when he checked down today.

vtech9 said:
your argument doesn't hold water...Carr locked onto Bradford also. Every time Carr threw to Bradford, he was locked onto him the whole way.

thats not true. i know for a fact one pass to bradford carr looked right, then middle, and finally left were he found bradford(who droped it).

Carr had two passes today where he looked like an NFL QB. The first TD to Mathis, our very first lead of the entire season, which is a record dating back to 1933. The second was the pass to Gaffney on 3rd and 19. Maybe because he has no faith in his o-line anymore, he does not scramble to make time to throw any longer. When he scrambles, it's to be a runner. I was at the game and on at least 2 of his runs there were receivers down field open, on one he had 3 guys deep against man coverage with no one underneath the receivers and our guys under the coverage. Having the DBs 2 steps away from your receiver is open in the NFL. Carr doesn't look to throw the ball if he has to move at all in the pocket. He locks onto the 1st receiver then looks to DD. If neither is open he's running. This may be justified due to his pass protection to date, but it's not NFL calliber football. I don't even blame Carr. It's like other posts say, we only audible from a run right to a run left. Our coaching is pathetic and that includes the coaching of Carr. Thank goodness our defense and Mathis made enough plays to put us in the position to win this one. Our coaches continue to play not to lose rather than playing to win. In this game, being close in the 4th was good enough for the W and I'll take it.

View from the 600's -- Most of our routes involve only 3 receivers and there are just not any open. Just one time when Carr scrambles I would like to see a receiver make an effort to come back to Carr.
While most complained about all the dump passes to DD I would love to see that back in our offense. I saw it once today. He is not a great blocker, get him out in the patterns.

Texan Gal 312 said:
View from the 600's -- Most of our routes involve only 3 receivers and there are just not any open. Just one time when Carr scrambles I would like to see a receiver make an effort to come back to Carr.
While most complained about all the dump passes to DD I would love to see that back in our offense. I saw it once today. He is not a great blocker, get him out in the patterns.

You bring up a good point Texan Gal. DD is a good receiving back and he did get close to 600 yards receiving last year. I think they could maybe utilize him more by putting him the slot or throw it to him on a rollout where he can get it on the run.

Texan Gal 312 said:
She gets it, why cant anybody else? Carr has NO options to check down to. Most of the time its only 1 or 2 recievers going out on routes, you think the opposing DB's have a hard time covering 2 recievers? Theses clowns they call coaches have this team so handcuffed they cant do anything.

We won, why don't you eat?

Well im happy than we won but i agree with you Wonger David is no Great Qb not even a decent one for the mediocre play we get from him we should sign a journey man only at a much cheaper rate. but we won because thank god the coaching staff put the game on DD shoulders they couldnt afford to have david blow another game.

Fourth Quarter
Houston Texans continued...
2-10-CLE21 (15:00) D.Davis up the middle to CLV 17 for 4 yards (O.Roye, J.Fisk).
3-6-CLE17 (14:17) D.Carr pass incomplete to J.Gaffney.
4-6-CLE17 (14:12) K.Brown 35 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-B.Pittman, Holder-C.Stanley.
CLE 13 HOU 16, Plays: 7 Yards: 15 Possession: 3:19.

Houston Texans at 14:08
K.Brown kicks 65 yards from HST 30 to CLV 5. J.Cribbs to CLV 25 for 20 yards (M.Norris, J.Bell).
Cleveland Browns at 14:01
1-10-CLE25 (14:01) T.Dilfer pass to B.Edwards to CLV 31 for 6 yards (S.Orr). (1 yard after catch.)
2-4-CLE31 (13:29) R.Droughns left tackle to CLV 34 for 3 yards (J.Simmons).
3-1-CLE34 (12:54) R.Droughns up the middle to CLV 34 for no gain (S.Payne, M.Greenwood).
4-1-CLE34 (12:04) K.Richardson punts 10 yards to CLV 44, Center-R.Pontbriand, out of bounds.
Houston Texans at 11:58
1-10-CLE44 (11:58) D.Davis up the middle to CLV 26 for 18 yards (L.Bodden).
1-10-CLE26 (11:18) PENALTY on HST-M.Brown, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at CLV 26 - No Play.
1-15-CLE31 (11:00) D.Davis left tackle to CLV 23 for 8 yards (M.Lehan, L.Bodden).
2-7-CLE23 (10:22) D.Davis up the middle to CLV 20 for 3 yards (S.Jones).
3-4-CLE20 (9:46) D.Carr pass incomplete to J.Gaffney (B.Russell).
4-4-CLE20 (9:40) K.Brown 38 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-B.Pittman, Holder-C.Stanley.
Cleveland Browns at 09:35
1-10-CLE28 (9:35) T.Dilfer pass incomplete to R.Droughns (R.Smith).
2-10-CLE28 (9:29) T.Dilfer pass to S.Heiden to CLV 34 for 6 yards (M.Greenwood). (No yards after catch.)
3-4-CLE34 (8:45) T.Dilfer right end to CLV 40 for 6 yards (A.Peek; G.Walker).
1-10-CLE40 (8:04) R.Droughns up the middle to HST 44 for 16 yards (M.Coleman).
1-10-HOU44 (7:30) R.Droughns left guard to HST 42 for 2 yards (T.Johnson, D.Robinson).
2-8-HOU42 (6:55) T.Dilfer pass incomplete to W.Green (C.Anderson).
3-8-HOU42 (6:50) T.Dilfer pass to A.Bryant to HST 22 for 20 yards (J.Simmons).
1-10-HOU22 (6:04) T.Dilfer pass incomplete to R.Droughns (D.Faggins).
2-10-HOU22 (5:59) R.Droughns right guard to HST 20 for 2 yards (C.Brown).
3-8-HOU20 (5:16) T.Dilfer pass incomplete to A.Bryant (D.Faggins). Play Challenged by CLV and Upheld. (Timeout #1 by CLV.)
4-8-HOU20 (5:10) P.Dawson 37 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-R.Pontbriand, Holder-K.Richardson.
CLE 16 HOU 16, Plays: 11 Yards: 52 Possession: 4:29.

Cleveland Browns at 05:06
P.Dawson kicks 73 yards from CLV 30 to HST -3. J.Mathis ran ob at CLV 40 for 63 yards (M.Lehan).
Houston Texans at 04:56
1-10-CLE40 (4:56) D.Davis up the middle to CLV 37 for 3 yards (C.Thompson, O.Roye).
2-7-CLE37 (4:22) J.Gaffney left end to CLV 27 for 10 yards (C.Thompson, B.Russell).
1-10-CLE27 (3:43) D.Davis right guard to CLV 22 for 5 yards (J.Fisk; K.Lang).
2-5-CLE22 (3:03) D.Carr right end ran ob at CLV 22 for no gain (L.Bodden). (QB bootleg with no receivers downfield.)
3-5-CLE22 (2:56) D.Carr pass incomplete to D.Armstrong.
4-5-CLE22 (2:50) K.Brown 40 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-B.Pittman, Holder-C.Stanley.
CLE 16 HOU 19, Plays: 6 Yards: 18 Possession: 2:21.

Houston Texans at 02:45
K.Brown kicks 59 yards from HST 30 to CLV 11. C.McIntyre to CLV 27 for 16 yards (C.Anderson, R.Walker).
Cleveland Browns at 02:38
1-10-CLE27 (2:38) W.Green right end to CLV 33 for 6 yards (D.Polk).
2-4-CLE33 (2:05) W.Green left guard to CLV 40 for 7 yards (J.Simmons).
1-10-CLE40 (2:00) PENALTY on CLV-R.Tucker, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at CLV 40 - No Play.
1-15-CLE35 (2:00) (Shotgun) T.Dilfer pass to B.Edwards to HST 39 for 26 yards (D.Faggins). (1 yard after catch.)
1-10-HOU39 (1:32) (Shotgun) W.Green up the middle to HST 38 for 1 yard (R.Smith).
2-9-HOU38 (1:09) (Shotgun) T.Dilfer pass incomplete to D.Northcutt (P.Buchanon).
3-9-HOU38 (1:03) (Shotgun) T.Dilfer sacked at HST 46 for -8 yards (G.Walker).
4-17-HOU46 (:50) T.Dilfer pass incomplete to A.Bryant (P.Buchanon).
Houston Texans at 00:43
1-10-HOU47 (:43) D.Carr kneels to HST 46 for -1 yards. (Line of scrimmage changes due to change of possession.)
2-11-HOU46 (:38) D.Carr kneels to HST 44 for -2 yards.

David Carr played very good today, very smart football with what he has. Bradfords lack of effort is inexcusable, that costs Carr. The rollsouts are starting to be keyed on and we are losing that play. The coaching staff does not make adjustments to this and we are suffering for it. Carr needs to be able to take this offense as his own.

Napa Auto Parts said:
So now the feds are after me wow im sure to be on AMW :yahoo:

I had a post to this thread deleted by Lucky last night for "an insult to wonger" ... so let me rephrase my original post ....

Methinks Wonger Doth Protest Too Much ...... that's a terrible paraphrase of Wm Shakespeare but it works

markbeth said:
he does lock on to his reciever a little to much. but there were several times when he checked down today.

As many times as he has been on his back this year and all the Tide it takes to get those grass stains out,it is no wonder he is in the habit of locking into a reciever and getting rid of the ball,one game he gets a little protection and i mean a little,everyone thinks he should be superman,it only take a cow a couple times to get shocked by that fence before he quits trying to eat grass from the otherside and the day you turn that fence off don't expect him to just run over and start eating from that side again.:brickwall

Carr was far from great but in this game it didn't matter. Too bad he can't play against his mentor every week.

NoBullTexan said:
Lest we all forget, Grantham was our DL coach up until this year. Do you think he can get inside Capers head a little bit? Now you know Capers knows this, and yet he gameplanned the same old stupid way he always does. Mr. predictable! And perish the thought of even trying to do some adjustments at halftime! Now you see how bad Cleveland must really be if we still beat 'em after all that!
A dunk monkey with a limp could get in Capers head....

i'm really having a hard time calling this game a win, despite what the scoreboard says. the browns just handed us the game. when your punter muffs twice and you cough up the ball twice, you're not going to beat anyone ... even the texans. sorry if i'm being a downer, but despite getting the W we played as bad as any other game this season, if not worse.

as for carr, he had 2 good plays. the deep ball to mathis, and the 3rd & long to gaffney. outside of that i'm having a hard time praising him. 10 for 20 for 138 yards and 1td/1int isnt exactly going to scare defenses. his feet were as much of a problem as they always are, and please dont use the fact that the browns only got 2 sacks as a bright spot for carr's play. take away carr's longest run (7 yards) and he averaged a little over 1 yard per carry ... basically carr fleeing the pocket (for no reason) and this time actually getting back to the LOS. if not for a couple feet on those "running scared" plays ... he would've ended up with more sacks than carries. the pocket was there, yes the receivers probably werent, but carr still didnt bother to move within the pocket and scan the field.

the kid's got an arm and i for one cant wait til the day we get to see it's full potential ... but his head and feet still have a LOT of work to do.

and as always, our coaching is pathetic. carr had no legitimate threats outside of gaffney, and we never gave DD a chance to make a difference.

I saw Carr move around in the pocket just fine. I don't know what game u were watching. Just take this one play where carr threw 20 yards on 3rd down to give us a first. He moved around in the pocket waiting for the play to develop. That was the best play i've seen from the line all year, the gave Carr time to throw. The play took forever because of thr route, you hardly ever see us get that kind of time.

Brando said:
:highfive: Exactly.....:cool:

Carr made some great passes today.

He made one "great" pass and a few decent passes that any NFL QB should be required to make.

138 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 50% completion rate and 6.9 ypp average... against one of the worst defenses in the NFL. This guy is barely a decent NFL backup.

Everybody...

I just wanted to put this on the table (actually thought of starting a new thread for this) reference all the talk about Carr did/didn't do this or that and such-such WR did/didn't do something.

By and large this board has some very smart fans that have a keen eye...BUT very few can actually breakdown game tape and come up with anything other than mimicwhat they hear on ESPN Sunday Countdown. Even fewer people actually have access to coaches tapes which show the whole field and allow you to see the big picture. I get a chuckle out of people that TiVo the edited broadcast and "break down the game" on the boards here.

I guess my point is that we tend to make some pretty broad statements (sometimes borderline rude) about a players ability on very limited information. Example...David Carr. Every time I see some one post Carr holds the ball to long I wonder if they were at the game or just watching TV so they can tell if ANYBODY was actually kinda open. Just to let you know it's pretty tough to actually tell if someone is "locking in" on a receiver from most of the TV edits. It's also not uncommon to have a play with only a primary option and one safety valve.

I am a supporter of David Carr, however, he has issues with his game...inconsistency and patience in the pocket being chief among them. He also has a lower overall level of talent around him to work with. I believe that with the correct system and coaching he could be pretty good. My example here would be Jake Plummer. If anyone saw him playing in Arizona they would swear they were seeing Carr with a bird on his helmet. Jake goes to Denver and has flashes of brilliance and flashes of bull****. Once he is deprogrammed by Shanahan and Kubiak and starts playing with a better team he is consistently pretty good, not great and not horrible.

We can debate on Carr being worth a nickel all day...but it's tough to tell with the current coaching scheme and overall level of play from the team. He may in fact turn out to be a career back-up, we just don't know right now. As for Sunday's game...a win is a win and you are what you are. We won, who cares if it's the Browns, it could have been Indy for that matter (see SF vs TB yesterday). Could we have played better...yes, but right now I don't care.

J-Man said:
Everybody...

I just wanted to put this on the table (actually thought of starting a new thread for this) reference all the talk about Carr did/didn't do this or that and such-such WR did/didn't do something...........

Wow ... common sense ...... very refreshing ..... thanks

Carr was better than Carr normally is yesterday.

I wish he was as good as a football player as Plummer is. Plummer at least has an undenialbe feel for the game and the ability to orchestrate comebacks. Both of these talents were seen pre Denver and have not been seen to date in Houston.

When you're in the stands and you can see the QB, the coverage, and the receiver(s) in their route(s) at the same time, you can see the things related to 'vision' and 'timing' and 'decision making' that are next to impossible to see on television without a precise replay.

When you're in the stands, you can miss some things too. There's too much going on at once to be able to see everything. That's why I typically use one to supplement the other before I praise or criticize anything other than the obvious.

Carr wasn't horrible yesterday but he sure wasn't great either. I'd like to see him in a different system -- that's why I wouldn't be opposed to the two year extension. That said, he has some issues that he needs to overcome too - things that aren't related to how far he can throw a ball or how fast he can run. It's not all the o-line or the system or the WR corps. Some of it is on him.

The Great One said:
As far as the topic is concerned. We would have to have several games in which Carr received this much time to throw before I could REALLY judge him on HIS abilities as a QB. There just isn't a large enough body of work to establish an accurate assessment at this point. There are too many other factors weighing down his performance from week-to-week.
Nothing illustrates the descrepancy in the talent of Carr's team mates compared to Plumber's better than TE - Carr thru a better pass to Rivers, which the TE tipped and was therefor subsequently intercepted, while Plumbers's pass to his TE in the EZ was way off the target but the TE
makes a spectacular one-handed catch. In the stats, its an interception for
Carr but a TD pass for Plumber. Thens there's WR Rob Smith and the Broncos OL. I dunno....maybe someday Carr will be surrrounded by that kind of talent, if not here hopefully else where.

TE in the EZ was way off the target but the TE
makes a spectacular one-handed catch.
Billy Miller was our pass catching TE, but he plays for the Browns now. We don't have a TE that could be called a pass catcher. But that really just shows yet another poor choice by our coach's on the roster, IMHO.

As for the Carr/TE pass for an INT. The TE was at the height of his jump and it just went through his hands. he actually was covered pretty well and it wasn't a good choice for a pass to begin with, IMHO. Carr is lucky that the TE did actually tip it, and the Brown player didn't intercept it in front of the TE. Bad luck, or as pointed out above, poor decision by Carr on a target, was why that INT happened.

aj. said:
When you're in the stands and you can see the QB, the coverage, and the receiver(s) in their route(s) at the same time, you can see the things related to 'vision' and 'timing' and 'decision making' that are next to impossible to see on television without a precise replay.

When you're in the stands, you can miss some things too. There's too much going on at once to be able to see everything. That's why I typically use one to supplement the other before I praise or criticize anything other than the obvious.

Carr wasn't horrible yesterday but he sure wasn't great either. I'd like to see him in a different system -- that's why I wouldn't be opposed to the two year extension. That said, he has some issues that he needs to overcome too - things that aren't related to how far he can throw a ball or how fast he can run. It's not all the o-line or the system or the WR corps. Some of it is on him.

Good point, AJ. I entirely agree that Carr has some issues, and like I said, he may never be more than a good back up. I do think that many of the issues relate to his introduction to the NFL (read Coaching and Development). My opinion, for what it's worth, is that with the right coaching support he has the potential to be pretty good.

I love watching the games on TV, but I do get frustrated be cause the camera views limit you to what the producers think you want to see. Watching in person is a great way to measure your team, you can select a couple plays to focus on the line, receivers, a specific player or you can get the big picture. Like you pointed out it's easy to miss things live as well.

I would be very intrested to be a fly on the wall during the post-game tape session. You go thru your position review, get your grades, and see the whole tape from the team prespective. I think it would be pretty enlightening to sit thru that if your really intrested in seeing where execution and gameplan suceed or fail.

It would also help if the coaches put the right receivers out there to help give Carr some confidence. Bradford aint doing it and if you notice when Armstrong and Gaffney took over the offense started moving.

Brando said:
Correction he made at least 2 great passes, the one to Mathis and the one over the middle to Gaffney. Believe me, I have started to question his decisions and he still stepped into a couple of sacks.

Starting a thread like this after we won just shows how negative you are.:rolleyes:

I'll give you the one to Gaffney also. So he had two pretty good passes against one of the worst defenses in the NFL.... with plenty of time to throw most of the day.

The guy is not a playmaker at the position like the great (or even good) ones are. If you put Favre or Manning or Palmer or even Leftwich on this team right now, they would figure out a way to pass for over 200 yards every once in a while. This guy has (1) 200 yard passing game in his past 15. One. Uno. And has multiple TD's once (2 total against Tennessee) in that same span.

It's time to stop making excuses for the guy... he is a below-average QB.

thegr8fan said:
As for the Carr/TE pass for an INT. The TE was at the height of his jump and it just went through his hands. he actually was covered pretty well and it wasn't a good choice for a pass to begin with, IMHO. Carr is lucky that the TE did actually tip it, and the Brown player didn't intercept it in front of the TE. Bad luck, or as pointed out above, poor decision by Carr on a target, was why that INT happened.
"Went through his hands" is the operative & key phrase, so how you get from
that to say Carr was in anyway lucky on that particular play is beyond me ? He was unlucky not to have a TE like lucky Bronco QB Plumber had who made a play on the QBs pass for a TD. This the NFL, these guys are supposed to make a play on a pass like the one that Rivers didn't.

nunusguy said:
"Went through his hands" is the operative & key phrase, so how you get from
that to say Carr was in anyway lucky on that particular play is beyond me ? He was unlucky not to have a TE like lucky Bronco QB Plumber had who made a play on the QBs pass for a TD. This the NFL, these guys are supposed to make a play on a pass like the one that Rivers didn't.
Two words David Thomas

J-Man said:
I guess my point is that we tend to make some pretty broad statements (sometimes borderline rude) about a players ability on very limited information. Example...David Carr. Every time I see some one post Carr holds the ball to long I wonder if they were at the game or just watching TV so they can tell if ANYBODY was actually kinda open. Just to let you know it's pretty tough to actually tell if someone is "locking in" on a receiver from most of the TV edits. It's also not uncommon to have a play with only a primary option and one safety valve.

I absolutely agree that we get a lot of pretty broad and unsubstantiated statements. What is worse is many times they get parroted around as if they are commonly accepted fact. Logic doesn't even apply to many of them, for instance how do you criticize Carr for locking onto his primary when the ball is coming out of his hand in under 2 seconds. That is drop and throw, not read #1, read #2, read #3.

Even fewer people actually have access to coaches tapes which show the whole field and allow you to see the big picture. I get a chuckle out of people that TiVo the edited broadcast and "break down the game" on the boards here.

Hey, we have to work with what we have. I am posting another thread on the Seahawks game, but obviously with the huge caveat that we can't see what is happening with the WR's down field which leaves a huge hole on judging Carr's performance. Even without the game tape I do think there is plenty to analyze in the broadcast.

infantrycak said:
Hey, we have to work with what we have. I am posting another thread on the Seahawks game, but obviously with the huge caveat that we can't see what is happening with the WR's down field which leaves a huge hole on judging Carr's performance. Even without the game tape I do think there is plenty to analyze in the broadcast.

J-Man said:
I get a chuckle out of people that TiVo the edited broadcast and "break down the game" on the boards here.

You're right, we have to work with what we have. However, as has been stated we can't see everything on a recording from the TV broadcast. We also don't know exactly what play was called. For instance on the offensive side we don't know the exact play, what routes the receivers were running, who has blitz pick-up, what the o-line call was, etc. We make educated guesses, but we still don't know all of this. However, if someone disagrees with the original poster who "broke down tape", the original poster many times gets angry and goes on a diatribe about how he looked at the tape and knows what's going on, and until the second poster "breaks down tape" his opinion is worthless.

I find this funny, like J-Man said earlier, and I don't get too worked up about it anymore.

Here is one example. I don't remember exactly what game it was, but it was on a sack play. Either Pitts or Riley was getting blamed on this board for giving up the sack. I asked some of the players I know what happened. I'm paraphrasing, but they said something like "McKinney made the line call, but he made the wrong call. Pitts knew it was the wrong call, and ignored the call and performed his responsibility as if McKinney had made the correct call. Riley didn't know it was the wrong call (inexperience in the system) and did what McKinney called." Obviously there was a breakdown in communication, but who's "fault" was this sack? The guy who made the wrong call? The guy who ignored the call? The guy who didn't know the system well enough to do the "right" thing? The coaches for not having the line coached better? Who saw any of this "breaking down film"?

Let's not take our own opinions too seriously.

I also asked these guys what would have happened if Wand had been in there. They thought he would have done the same thing as Pitts, ignored the call and done the "right" thing - because they did so last year. Pitts and Wand would have played together and the play may have had more success.

This is an example of the line gelling, and why Pitts at guard and Wand at tackle should have been where we started at the beginning of the season. We threw away all of the hard earned o-line teamwork experience last year, because Pendry started Riley over Wand. We've all seen how good Riley is - not near as good as Wand last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back