Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cal McNair is the MAJOR problem.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It probably doesn't get much press but here is one article:

However, this is not about right or wrong, I was wondering how the players you listed were different types of players vs what had been acquired in the past.
The players they have acquired thru the draft/trades/fa are more likely to practice regularly (Nuk Clowney didn't) and show the young guys the ropes. They lead by example unlike the guys that are gone.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't know how this narrative started that Hopkins was a bad teammate, but here are articles on Hopkins mentoring Fuller and even Vycint Smith. I guess that's how things works in the internet age. Repeat something enough, no one challenges the statement and it's taken as the truth:

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-DeAndre-Hopkins-a-valuable-mentor-to-13177138.php

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/DeAndre-Hopkins-mentoring-Texans-rookie-Vyncint-13111776.php

"Andre Johnson did a great job of mentoring me," Hopkins said. "So, it's only right that I do the same for those young guys and help them become whatever they want in the NFL."
--Deandre Hopkins
It's pretty hard to mentor when you dont practice.

RGV82

Random guy
I will use Nuk as an example.

Nuk was trained up by AJ.

A.J. never missed practice and was a role model for younger WR's.

Nuk not so much, which young WR have you heard of that Nuk took under his wing? There were articles about AJ taking Nuk under his wing.
I think it goes without say that AJ was more of a team player and Hopkins was more about himself. Not taking anything away from him talent wise. Two best WRs we’ve ever had.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think it goes without say that AJ was more of a team player and Hopkins was more about himself. Not taking anything away from him talent wise. Two best WRs we’ve ever had.
This is my point, I expected the following barrage that I got after I made that post.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I don't know how this narrative started that Hopkins was a bad teammate, but here are articles on Hopkins mentoring Fuller and even Vycint Smith. I guess that's how things works in the internet age. Repeat something enough, no one challenges the statement and it's taken as the truth:

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-DeAndre-Hopkins-a-valuable-mentor-to-13177138.php

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/DeAndre-Hopkins-mentoring-Texans-rookie-Vyncint-13111776.php

"Andre Johnson did a great job of mentoring me," Hopkins said. "So, it's only right that I do the same for those young guys and help them become whatever they want in the NFL."
--Deandre Hopkins
Some people always got to side with the employer bro. Nuk had to do something wrong and he’s not valued high for a reason. Lol at people trying to find some type validation for one of the most lopsided, terrible trade in NFL history.

Hopkins was the ultimate professional on and off the field. He was one of the great leaders on this team who lead by example.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
This is what I'm talking about. I posted two articles mentioning Hopkins was mentoring Fuller and Smith. Can you provide any links that were posted before the trade that even hints that Hopkins was a bad teammate or he was more about himself?

It's okay that Hopkins wanted to redo his contract. It's okay if the Texans wanted to trade him. But to trash his reputation to justify the trade is wrong.

RGV82

Random guy
This is what I'm talking about. I posted two articles mentioning Hopkins was mentoring Fuller and Smith. Can you provide any links that were posted before the trade that even hints that Hopkins was a bad teammate or he was more about himself?

It's okay that Hopkins wanted to redo his contract. It's okay if the Texans wanted to trade him. But to trash his reputation to justify the trade is wrong.
I am not trying to justify his trade at all. If it was up to me Hopkins would still be here long term. Trading Hopkins was the dumbest move BOB has done yet. My comment was not meant as a justification for his trade.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So all we gotta do is find some thug who beats his children to mentor our young players & pay him a lot of money & Houston will win Championships.

Git'r done BO'b

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So all we gotta do is find some thug who beats his children to mentor our young players & pay him a lot of money & Houston will win Championships.

Git'r done BO'b
? No mentoring

The Chiefs put talent 1st and foremost, character issues 2nd. This is what I'm talking about when I'm saying get the most talented players on he team regardless of character. Why? because you will always be chasing teams that believe in the talent 1st and foremost model. Regardless of the brainwashing by the McNair's org this is the way it is.

Kiss the ring

gafftop

All Pro
My hope for the 2020 season is they play all their games with no fans, that way Texans season holders don't have to pay money to watch crap.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We've already paid the 1st installment. They're giving options on how to pay the rest.

In sgort, season ticketholders aren't going to catch a break.

The McNairs like their money.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Cal McNair’s decision ultimately makes no sense

I believe OB the GM ultimately accelerated his own ouster. But Cal's ineptitude in making OB the GM is the bigger failure.

Cal was lazy as heck. Dude didn’t even bother to interview anyone. He took the cheap way out and look what happened. He shouldn’t have fired Gaines either

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Cal was lazy as heck. Dude didn’t even bother to interview anyone. He took the cheap way out and look what happened. He should’ve fired Gaines either
We don't know half the crap that goes on behind them doors on Kirby. I can't think of a good reason to make BO'b GM.

But maybe Cal was convinced BO'b was the HC to get this team to the next step. As a HC he had some good qualities & I believe he instilled a toughness this team was sorely lacking.

& it's clear that it wasn't going to be easy finding a guy who could work with BO'b, the HC Cal may very well have thought was the right HC for the job.

They were all in on Casserio & that fell through. Didn't make a lot of sense to hire a guy temporarily until you could get your guy.

We don't know.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
We don't know half the crap that goes on behind them doors on Kirby. I can't think of a good reason to make BO'b GM.

But maybe Cal was convinced BO'b was the HC to get this team to the next step. As a HC he had some good qualities & I believe he instilled a toughness this team was sorely lacking.

& it's clear that it wasn't going to be easy finding a guy who could work with BO'b, the HC Cal may very well have thought was the right HC for the job.

They were all in on Casserio & that fell through. Didn't make a lot of sense to hire a guy temporarily until you could get your guy.

We don't know.
There's a lot we'll never know and I applaud Janice and Cal for finally taking care of business.

Ob was in on the decision making with Casserio. That makes him culpable.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

We don't know.
Tough teams don't fold like a cheap tent in the playoffs.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Tough teams don't fold like a cheap tent in the playoffs.
Here you are agreeing with me, the team is not tough.

Marshmallows don't play with a shot to his knee every game (Wade Smith, 2013).
Marshmallows don't play with multiple broken ribs (Ben Tate, 2013).
Here you demonstrate there are some tough players on our soft team.

What exactly would you like to argue about?

banned1976

sleeper mode
I’m very happy O’Brien is gone. The McNair’s hired Gaine and promptly fired him. They handed the GM title to O’Brien and a month into the season they fire him. Do we want the McNair’s picking the next GM on their own? Their decisions in hiring GM’s are flawed. I’m hoping they hire an NFL insider as an advisor in helping them on their GM search.

I just don’t want them rushing to fill the position just because they it’s open.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I’m very happy O’Brien is gone. The McNair’s hired Gaine and promptly fired him. They handed the GM title to O’Brien and a month into the season they fire him. Do we want the McNair’s picking the next GM on their own? Their decisions in hiring GM’s are flawed. I’m hoping they hire an NFL insider as an advisor in helping them on their GM search.

I just don’t want them rushing to fill the position just because they it’s open.
They do have a lot of time between now and the end of the season, so that's a good thing, I imagine.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

The question is how much influence does an unqualified youth pastor have on the process?

There is literally nothing on Easterby's resume that indicates he's earned any sort of insight into hiring NFL GMs and HCs. Yet he's now no. 2 in charge, whispering in a McNair ear.

I imagine him as a sort of Bib Fortuna whispering in Jabba the Hutt's ear. . .

JabbaBibFortuna.jpg

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Sigh...Cal McNair may be falling for another guy who was any sort of strength to his personality.

Rick Smith buttkisses his way into into being the Godfather of Cal's children
Bob O'Brien bullies his way into an unearned roll as HC and GM
Jack Easterby appears to have bullspit his way to the top man in football operation

Not that I have met Cal in person or anything but my perception is that he does not seem to have strength of his own character or force his own personality enough not fall three guys who pretty obvious in their approaches.

This is all what I see from a distance without knowing any of them.

gafftop

All Pro
Sigh...Cal McNair may be falling for another guy who was any sort of strength to his personality.

Rick Smith buttkisses his way into into being the Godfather of Cal's children
Bob O'Brien bullies his way into an unearned roll as HC and GM
Jack Easterby appears to have bullspit his way to the top man in football operation

Not that I have met Cal in person or anything but my perception is that he does not seem to have strength of his own character or force his own personality enough not fall three guys who pretty obvious in their approaches.

This is all what I see from a distance without knowing any of them.
All i know for sure is Cal has no clue the difference between a good and a historical bad deal, is a terrible judge of character and doesn't know he doesn't know . He signed off on Hopkins deal and Tunsil deal. I hoped that maybe he had absolutely no clue but he signed off on both. Anybody that watches football knows trading DHop for a broken down don't give a **** back is a bad deal so that means he trusted BOB and bought whatever crap butthead said to justify the deal.
Same with Tunsil deal. He would have asked someone what they thought but he has no clue about his lack of knowledge when it comes to the NFL.

It is going to be a complete crap shoot on if he hires the correct GM and HC. I would trust the consensus on this board more than the texans BRAINTRUST.

gafftop

All Pro
Now that butthead is gone I decided to see who this Easterby was. Heard something about a pastor but I thought it was just bullshit. Saw this in Wicki.

James “Jack” Harold Easterby IV is an American Christian pastor, speaker, author, and sports administrator who serves the New England Patriots as their Team Development / Character Development Coach.

WTF??? Really??? ******* Character Development Coach. What BS.

McNairs being taken again and fans and players being screwed again. Just thought Cal and Janice figured that they had no clothes on. This guy on the surface seems to be a bigger con man than butthead. Stupid is as stupid does. Again I value this board in making football decisions way above the McNairs.

Janice if you really want to help the people in Houston sell the team and then you will have plenty of money to donate to your charitable causes. They get the benefit of your money and we the fans and the players have "Hope, which is a good thing."