Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cal McNair is the MAJOR problem.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Luv Ya Blue >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anything the Texans have ever done.

Yep. I never said I missed Bud Adams. I just miss the football team I grew up with in Houston. It had history & character, and it was not this glossy, corporate-produced entertainment product only concerned with J.D. Power survey results to maximize profit-potential.

When comparing two crappy owners, it comes down to other things.

Besides, the derrick just looks better than the asymmetrical graphics-design created bull-thing that was crafted strictly to sell merchandise. Oil is still very relevant in this city. Cows. . .'eh, not so much. It's just playing into a Texas stereotype, again trying to market the team to a wider base. Yeehaw. JMO.
I was never able to fan for the Oilers, I despised them as a team. Until Houston got the Texans franchise, the NFL always played second fiddle to college for me.That said, I am in full agreement with you on the Oil Derrick being a MUCH better logo than the oddly shaped Bull. The Oilers colors as well were also a much better choice than our current steel blue, battle red and liberty white. And the name......sigh.....worst in the league.
:toropalm:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
would never sell my soul to the devil for winning. Gotta do it Texan way, Cal needs more than anyone, to understand his way not O’Brians.
What is selling your soul to the devil to bring in the best players.

This is entertainment, I'm not asking these guys to raise my child or go to church with me.

They need to follow the Pats/ Chiefs footprint. Take a chance on AB/ Hilll/Kelce if you truly want a winner.

#Nevergonnahappen

Grams

Veteran
It seems as though he’s scared. I don’t believe he truly knows football. This was his father’s project
I don't think he's scared, I think he just doesn't give a ****. I don't think he knows football either. To the poster that called him Cal McNumbnuts, I think you hit the nail on the head. Unless he is hit in the pocketbook, hard, nothing will change. Think OB has gotten rid of the people with football knowledge in management so that he (OB) is the "brightest star" on the horizon. Depressing times to be a Texan fan.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't think he's scared, I think he just doesn't give a ****. I don't think he knows football either. To the poster that called him Cal McNumbnuts, I think you hit the nail on the head. Unless he is hit in the pocketbook, hard, nothing will change. Think OB has gotten rid of the people with football knowledge in management so that he (OB) is the "brightest star" on the horizon. Depressing times to be a Texan fan.
Who did BOB get rid of in mgmt that you think is a great loss of knowledge?

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I'm still holding out hope that Cal is simply evaluating O'Brien similar to how Jeff Lurie evaluated Chip Kelly. If it works, O'Brien can shout, "I told you so" to his critics. If it doesn't work, Cal can say, "he bought into O'Brien's vision and gave him full control and every opportunity to bring a championship to Houston".

Here are some interesting quotes after Lurie fired Kelly with two years on his contract and one year after giving him control of personnel.

"During the offseason, Lurie explained his decision to give Kelly the de facto role of general manager by saying that Kelly had a vision of how to get the Eagles to go from good to great. Instead, they went backwards."

"Lurie, at least, might have learned an important lesson. Bill Parcells' famous quote about wanting to shop for the groceries if he has to cook the meal remains a classic explanation of why coaches crave the power to shape a roster that, ultimately, decides their fate. But for the Eagles, Kelly was such a bad shopper, the ingredients never fit the recipe. Lurie apparently decided there was no saving it. Now, he's left to clean up the mess."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000612251/article/jeffrey-luries-faith-in-chip-kelly-led-to-coachs-downfall

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't know but maybe Gaine? He wasn't here long enough and Gaine's firing may have all been on Cal. The better question would be who within the Texans management is known for having great knowledge
Speaking of Gaine,

I don't know the head of pro personnel or college scouting. But àll of the scouts were brought in by Gaine and I trust him when it comes to finding quality scouts since he was a lifetime scout.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'm still holding out hope that Cal is simply evaluating O'Brien similar to how Jeff Lurie evaluated Chip Kelly. If it works, O'Brien can shout, "I told you so" to his critics. If it doesn't work, Cal can say, "he bought into O'Brien's vision and gave him full control and every opportunity to bring a championship to Houston".

Here are some interesting quotes after Lurie fired Kelly with two years on his contract and one year after giving him control of personnel.

"During the offseason, Lurie explained his decision to give Kelly the de facto role of general manager by saying that Kelly had a vision of how to get the Eagles to go from good to great. Instead, they went backwards."

"Lurie, at least, might have learned an important lesson. Bill Parcells' famous quote about wanting to shop for the groceries if he has to cook the meal remains a classic explanation of why coaches crave the power to shape a roster that, ultimately, decides their fate. But for the Eagles, Kelly was such a bad shopper, the ingredients never fit the recipe. Lurie apparently decided there was no saving it. Now, he's left to clean up the mess."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000612251/article/jeffrey-luries-faith-in-chip-kelly-led-to-coachs-downfall
I seriously doubt that Peyton Manning would ever be interested in working in Houston but he would be my personal dream hire as the Texans GM.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I seriously doubt that Peyton Manning would ever be interested in working in Houston but he would be my personal dream hire as the Texans GM.
He would have to have full control over everything including the checkbook and Call isn't ever going to allow this to happen. Cal learned well from his daddy how to stay above criticism and still be a tighta** at the same time.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Who did BOB get rid of in mgmt that you think is a great loss of knowledge?
You've also got to look at the bigger picture and see a different angle: Who did BOB not bring in that could have been a great source of football knowledge?

There is nobody in this organization that can challenge O'Brien now (you could say Cal, but he's taking a nappy nap). Bill is like fat Elvis now, surrounded by "yes men".

Truly the only hope for the short term future is that O'Brien is the football genius that we have never seen in him for the last 6 seasons.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You've also got to look at the bigger picture and see a different angle: Who did BOB not bring in that could have been a great source of football knowledge?

There is nobody in this organization that can challenge O'Brien now (you could say Cal, but he's taking a nappy nap). Bill is like fat Elvis now, surrounded by "yes men".

Truly the only hope for the short term future is that O'Brien is the football genius that we have never seen in him for the last 6 seasons.
We don't know the answer to this question.

6 yrs is true, how many of those yrs did he have final say in personnel. All we can do is hope BOB is better in the draft than his predecessors were. Because he's going to be here awhile and all of the griping in the world ain't gonna change that.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
He was part of the problem, not renegotiating new contracts until the last year. Out of touch with the modern NFL.
I believe that was an organizational problem and he had nothing to do with deciding who should get a new contract and who shouldn't......he's a numbers guy. That policy belonged to the McNair's, GM's and HC.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I believe that was an organizational problem and he had nothing to do with deciding who should get a new contract and who shouldn't......he's a numbers guy. That policy belonged to the McNair's, GM's and HC.
The NFL office told the McNairs they should hire him, he worked for the NFL office. When the McNairs bought the franchise they knew nothing about NFL contracts. This policy was put in place by Olsen.

OptimisticTexan

The NFL office told the McNairs they should hire him, he worked for the NFL office. When the McNairs bought the franchise they knew nothing about NFL contracts. This policy was put in place by Olsen.
Then who made the policy change to re-sign Watt before his contract was up? Why would the McNair's and GM's stand around with their hands in their pockets while a bean counter decided who stayed and who was shown the door?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Then who made the policy change to re-sign Watt before his contract was up? Why would the McNair's and GM's stand around with their hands in their pockets while a bean counter decided who stayed and who was shown the door?
Watt being an icon was the exception to the rule and Bob McNair decided to make him the face of the franchise.In short Watt was good for business and the McNairs are all about business.

This is the same reason DW4 will be kept around for the next 5 years regardless of performance. If DW4'S /What's traded then you will know the Texans org has truly changed the way they do business.

OptimisticTexan

Watt being an icon was the exception to the rule and Bob McNair decided to make him the face of the franchise.In short Watt was good for business and the McNairs are all about business.

This is the same reason DW4 will be kept around for the next 5 years regardless of performance. If DW4'S /What's traded then you will know the Texans org has truly changed the way they do business.
If OB is kept on.....then I think OB will insist on letting Watson walk instead of signing him to a NFL highest paid contract.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
If OB is kept on.....then I think OB will insist on letting Watson walk instead of signing him to a NFL highest paid contract.
While making his point, he will tell Cal how the Patriots won those Super Bowls without Brady being the highest paid QB. He might even show Cal the game film of the Pats' Super Bowl wins to prove his point. "Cal, I'm telling you it works. Trust me!"

While O'Brien is making his point about trading Watson, Easterby is standing behind Cal whispering, "trust himmmmm"

Last edited:

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
A very smart move IMHO regardless if BOB is kept on ot not.
I don't think I can agree with that. Watson has flaws, this we know, but he has enough talent to overcome these flaws. He has not reached his ceiling and with the right guidance can be every bit the NFL's version of "Jordan" that he was described as. I can't get past the seasons of mediocrity that have been the Texans franchise existence so far (including the Schaub years) due to not having competent QB talent. We have that now, it is just being held back because our current QB is the proverbial "square peg" to our Coaches "round hole" thinking.

Our best fix, would be to keep the position that is so hard to find (QB) and build around it. That includes a whole new front office and coaching staff. We do this, and we are instantly competitive.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That would be a dumb ash move. Why the F would you want to go through that same crap we went through during OBRIEN first 3 seasons. You have your franchise quarterback now.
I guess that depends on if you think your QB is a franchise SB winning QB.

That's where we differ and you get all emotional about this particular subject. We actually agree on alot of things, but your judgement gets clouded because we disagree on this.

To me it's not personal. You seem to think I'm a racist, but some of my highest rated QB's like Mahomes/Winston I thought would be stars. I was right about Mahomes and wrong about Winston. It's a crap shoot.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't think I can agree with that. Watson has flaws, this we know, but he has enough talent to overcome these flaws. He has not reached his ceiling and with the right guidance can be every bit the NFL's version of "Jordan" that he was described as. I can't get past the seasons of mediocrity that have been the Texans franchise existence so far (including the Schaub years) due to not having competent QB talent. We have that now, it is just being held back because our current QB is the proverbial "square peg" to our Coaches "round hole" thinking.

Our best fix, would be to keep the position that is so hard to find (QB) and build around it. That includes a whole new front office and coaching staff. We do this, and we are instantly competitive.
Ok everything has to be changed to make DW4 better at his flaws. This is flawed thinking IMHO, DW4 would have to play differently than he has his entire life AND become more accurate/Anticipation. These are things that are god given abilities. 3 yrs and counting, how many more yrs do you want to give DW4 to figure it out and do you want to pay him 35 mil per yr while he's figuring out because you're scared that you wont be able to find another true franchise QB? Fear is what leads to mediocrity.

Dont take this as defending BOB because if this were to happen I want a new regime making the call on a new on the new QB. Unless BOB knocks the next draft out of the park which is unlikely, he will have earned the benefit of the doubt as GM if this happens. In short BOB has alot riding on this draft.

What's really more of a risk paying 35 mil after 3 yrs and hoping DW4 can improve on areas he should've already been able to improve on, or trying to find a new QB with a butt load of picks you could get by trading DW4?

Last edited:

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Ok everything has to be changed to make DW4 better at his flaws. This is flawed thinking IMHO, DW4 would have to play differently than he has his entire life AND become more accurate/Anticipation. These are things that are god given abilities. 3 yrs and counting, how many more yrs do you want to give DW4 to figure it out and do you want to pay him 35 mil per yr while he's figuring out because you're scared that you wont be able to find another true franchise QB? Fear is what leads to mediocrity.

Dont take this as defending BOB because if this were to happen I want a new regime making the call on a new on the new QB. Unless BOB knocks the next draft out of the park which is unlikely, he will have earned the benefit of the doubt as GM if this happens. In short BOB has alot riding on this draft.

What's really more of a risk paying 35 mil after 3 yrs and hoping DW4 can improve on areas he should've already been able to improve on, or trying to find a new QB with a butt load of picks you could get by trading DW4?
Case in point Smith drafted a QB that doesn't fit our head coach's offense. This isn't the QB's fault, nor O'Briens. That said, Watson has far fewer faults than O'Brien. Or in other words, Watson is better at his job than O'Brien is at his. If it comes down to one or the other, I ride with Watson all day. If the new coaching staff prefers a different QB, then I hop to that boat as well.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Case in point Smith drafted a QB that doesn't fit our head coach's offense. This isn't the QB's fault, nor O'Briens. That said, Watson has far fewer faults than O'Brien. Or in other words, Watson is better at his job than O'Brien is at his. If it comes down to one or the other, I ride with Watson all day. If the new coaching staff prefers a different QB, then I hop to that boat as well.
I fire BOB and trade DW4, then let the new regime start anew.

Or if BOB stays I trade DW4 and let him get the QB he wants. Either way I dont keep DW4 for the reasons I've listed many times.

You're right though RS left a very screwed up situation.

OptimisticTexan

I fire BOB and trade DW4, then let the new regime start anew.

Or if BOB stays I trade DW4 and let him get the QB he wants. Either way I dont keep DW4 for the reasons I've listed many times.

You're right though RS left a very screwed up situation.
What would you do if the new regime wanted to keep Watson? That would be far more likely than a new regime coming in and saying Watson has to go.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I guess that depends on if you think your QB is a franchise SB winning QB.

That's where we differ and you get all emotional about this particular subject. We actually agree on alot of things, but your judgement gets clouded because we disagree on this.

To me it's not personal. You seem to think I'm a racist, but some of my highest rated QB's like Mahomes/Winston I thought would be stars. I was right about Mahomes and wrong about Winston. It's a crap shoot.

Here you go again not factoring every piece to the puzzle. Things like injuries to key players, coaching not putting their team in position to be successful, the terrible play calling, offensive line wasn't performing up to potential, receivers running the wrong routes and penalties that killed drives. You're too focused on trying to be right here verses actually evaluating the entire offense. Example: I was right about Mahomes. Well that was an really easy prediction, especially knowing Reid's track record when it comes to offense. He knows how to put his entire offense in position to win games. He knows how to adapt his schemes to fit his quarterbacks.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Here you go again not factoring every piece to the puzzle. Things like injuries to key players, coaching not putting their team in position to be successful, the terrible play calling, offensive line wasn't performing up to potential, receivers running the wrong routes and penalties that killed drives. You're too focused on trying to be right here verses actually evaluating the entire offense. Example: I was right about Mahomes. Well that was an really easy prediction, especially knowing Reid's track record when it comes to offense. He knows how to put his entire offense in position to win games. He knows how to adapt his schemes to fit his quarterbacks.
You're not going to change his mind. However, it's hilarious that he factors everything when it comes to defending O'Brien. For example, when it was brought up that Crennel's defense carried the underachieving offense for many years, SteelB's response was:

There's this thingy called complementary football.
Too funny!

Texansballer74

The Marine
You're not going to change his mind. However, it's hilarious that he factors everything when it comes to defending O'Brien. For example, when it was brought up that Crennel's defense carried the underachieving offense for many years, SteelB's response was:

Too funny!

Very hilarious indeed. Lol

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm not focusing on being right, it wasn't an prediction at the time since I called it before the fact. You're just butthurt but that's ok.

I stand by my post

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That's because you're not an open minded individual. Look at what you only address. Why because you're trying your best to be right and only push your agenda.
You're so FOS

Go back and honestly evaluate DW4 from the 1st Titans game forward and get back to me.

Look I get you hope a black QB can win a SB, I do too. But DW4 aint the guy unless he makes major changes to his game and even then I dont think he has the Accuracy/Anticipation to win a SB.

If you want to win a SB then you move on as quickly as possible.

I used to think DW4 was Young/Wilson now I think he's Vick/Cunninghahm after 3 yrs of watching him.

Texansballer74

The Marine
You're so FOS

Go back and honestly evaluate DW4 from the 1st Titans game forward and get back to me.

Look I get you hope a black QB can win a SB, I do too. But DW4 aint the guy unless he makes major changes to his game and even then I dont think he has the Accuracy/Anticipation to win a SB.

If you want to win a SB then you move on as quickly as possible.

I used to think DW4 was Young/Wilson now I think he's Vick/Cunninghahm after 3 yrs of watching him.

This has nothing to do with black and white. So stop the racist nonsense. Disclaimer: I’m not calling you or anybody on this forum a racist. This is about you n being close minded on this particular player. It’s like you’re not even trying to hear or read what other people are saying. You continue to bring up his last 5 regular season starts. But fail to address any other very pivotal part of the reason why him and the entire team played so poorly. But my thing is you can’t just go off 5 freaking games. Man talk about the entire body of work. And if you really and truly did that without the hater glasses on, you would see the potential this kids has.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This has nothing to do with black and white. So stop the racist nonsense. Disclaimer: I’m not calling you or anybody on this forum a racist. This is about you n being close minded on this particular player. It’s like you’re not even trying to hear or read what other people are saying. You continue to bring up his last 5 regular season starts. But fail to address any other very pivotal part of the reason why him and the entire team played so poorly. But my thing is you can’t just go off 5 freaking games. Man talk about the entire body of work. And if you really and truly did that without the hater glasses on, you would see the potential this kids has.
I was off base with the racism stuff and I apologize if I offended you.

It's not just the last 5 starts, (Which he was awful in) it's after 3 yrs he should never have a 5 game stretch as bad as those games were.

You can say he's young and still learning. But Mahomes is also young and still learning. You can make this into a BOB vs Reid thingy if you wish, but I just don't see it in DW4. Maybe you're seeing something I'm not.

I really want to know what you see in DW4 that I'm not seeing and let's not throw BOB into the equation. Where has DW4 improved in the last 3 yrs? IYO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You all know Steel's stance... you all know he flip-flops, to whatever supports his stance... stop feeding him and move on. You'll be a happier TT member.
What have I flip flopped on?

I dont think the Texans can win a championship with DW4 at QB. I think I've been pretty consistent in that belief. If you want to disagree with me then that's fine. Otherwise this post is a bunch of BS.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What have I flip flopped on?

I dont think the Texans can win a championship with DW4 at QB. I think I've been pretty consistent in that belief. If you want to disagree with me then that's fine. Otherwise this post is a bunch of BS.
Nice response

Cant answer that can you dream team.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I was off base with the racism stuff and I apologize if I offended you.

It's not just the last 5 starts, (Which he was awful in) it's after 3 yrs he should never have a 5 game stretch as bad as those games were.

You can say he's young and still learning. But Mahomes is also young and still learning. You can make this into a BOB vs Reid thingy if you wish, but I just don't see it in DW4. Maybe you're seeing something I'm not.

I really want to know what you see in DW4 that I'm not seeing and let's not throw BOB into the equation. Where has DW4 improved in the last 3 yrs? IYO

Patrick was put in a way much better situation. He’s with a coach who is well established and has a true offensive identity. Watson on the other hands is dealing with a coach who is very clueless to what he wants to do.

Another thing Patrick has not taken the beatings like Watson either. He’s actually playing behind a very solid offensive line. Compare Patrick’s weapons verses what we have or had.

To answer your question: Watson being able to put up top 10 numbers in spite of this crap shoot of an offense that we’re running. Watson doing what he’s doing in spite of the offensive line changing every year as well as being at the bottom of the league.