Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bryce Young vs CJ Stroud

But they will be pressured into taking a QB this year by the media and fans (need something to build some hype in the city/keep pace with the Astros) and then won't take a QB in '24 etc.

We are football cursed, we can all see it happening...

Texans have #1 pick in '23
Draft Young
Kid looks great
Team wins 4/5 games in '23
We have our QB of the future
No QB need in '24
'25 QB injured, never fully recovers (RGIII anyone)
Two top QB's from the '24 class have long productive NFL careers, maybe even a Superbowl or two apiece...

Meanwhile the QB carosel / search continues.

And finally on my deathbed in, oh I don't know I'd like to live until 90'ish so 2062, "I told them not to take a QB in '23, set us back another 10 years - I'm 90 years old and we still haven't been to the AFCCG".

"It's okay grampy you can rest now"

My last words - "mother f****'s I knew we shouldn't draft a QB in '23, we're curesed!"

You know that's just one way it could go - kid could be great! Who knows :)
Or Texans draft two defensive linemen that can push the pocket and shut down the Run plus a quarterback plus two wide receivers to help said quarterback; a running back to take some load off Damon Pierce and an edge rusher. We draft a Center and right guard.

2024 we fill in holes and have option to replace any mistakes that occur in each draft.

My only hope is something similar happened with the 2006 draft. We were supposed to take Young or maybe Bush and we went a different direction. Turned out to not be a bad choice

I was pretty shocked that he went to work for Jerry. Parcells was one of those first HCs who wanted to be the GM, too. And for Jerry, being GM was his way of playing real life Madden as an owner.

I didn't see them getting along or agreeing on anything.

Jerry brought Parcells in so he could sell building Jerry World to the taxpayers.

Or Texans draft two defensive linemen that can push the pocket and shut down the Run plus a quarterback plus two wide receivers to help said quarterback; a running back to take some load off Damon Pierce and an edge rusher. We draft a Center and right guard.

2024 we fill in holes and have option to replace any mistakes that occur in each draft.

Just imagine signing Da'ron Payne, Devin Bush and Minshew in FA. Then drafting like this.

1-1 Anderson
1-10 Johnston
2-32 Jared Verse DE Fla St.
3-64 Achane
3-74 Best Center possible, I've got Stromberg/Van Prann/Patterson/Schmitz
4-96 Best Te available I've got OSU Stover/Ga. Gilbert/Ore St./Masgrave/Iowa La Porta.

Not to mention LBs - thankfully, Texans have a nice fat cap book this next off-season.
It will be interesting to see if NC makes a splash deal or two or just continues with the budget buys.

Just imagine signing Da'ron Payne, Devin Bush and Minshew in FA. Then drafting like this.

1-1 Anderson
1-10 Johnston
2-32 Jared Verse DE Fla St.
3-64 Achane
3-74 Best Center possible, I've got Stromberg/Van Prann/Patterson/Schmitz
4-96 Best Te available I've got OSU Stover/Ga. Gilbert/Ore St./Masgrave/Iowa La Porta.
I'd rather have Jalen Carter instead of Will Anderson. I'd like to see the Texans trade down a couple spots, and pick Carter. I'm good with taking WR Quentin Johnston, but I'm hoping with the trade back, we can get DE's Myles Murphy or Tyree Wilson. I wouldn't be opposed to Verse if he's the best at the spot, but I'm hoping we've got that position taken care of by then. For Center's, Stromberg and Schmitz are my leading candidates. I haven't started looking at TE's yet. I like Achane, but I think Charbonett can be had in the 4th.

Never moved the needle just flashed like Clowney, then out of here. Far as I’m concerned, both wasted #1 overalls.
#1 overalls typically don’t live up their draft spot. Just take a look at the list.

Looking at the 2010’s I’d say maybe 3 really lived up to it maybe less? The ones in contention are Myles Garret, Cam Newton, and Luck. Cam was good but outside of his MVP year I don’t think he really lived up to it. Luck was great but the organization failed him and he never really ended up doing much before retiring.

Others were Sam Bradford, Eric Fisher, Kyler, Jameis, Clowney, Goff, and Mayfield.

Gotta say I think we did better than most teams looking back.

I'd rather have Jalen Carter instead of Will Anderson. I'd like to see the Texans trade down a couple spots, and pick Carter. I'm good with taking WR Quentin Johnston, but I'm hoping with the trade back, we can get DE's Myles Murphy or Tyree Wilson. I wouldn't be opposed to Verse if he's the best at the spot, but I'm hoping we've got that position taken care of by then. For Center's, Stromberg and Schmitz are my leading candidates. I haven't started looking at TE's yet. I like Achane, but I think Charbonett can be had in the 4th.
Murphy and Tyree; if trading with Lions i want both round twos. Hyatt and Uzomoah plus my QB. Schmitz plus Vorhees.

#1 overalls typically don’t live up their draft spot. Just take a look at the list.

Looking at the 2010’s I’d say maybe 3 really lived up to it maybe less? The ones in contention are Myles Garret, Cam Newton, and Luck. Cam was good but outside of his MVP year I don’t think he really lived up to it. Luck was great but the organization failed him and he never really ended up doing much before retiring.

Others were Sam Bradford, Eric Fisher, Kyler, Jameis, Clowney, Goff, and Mayfield.

there are two metrics we need to hit on this time, one is production, impact on & off the field, the other is long tenure, which relates to resigning with organization at least once, preferably twice or more and if not trading for a butt load (Deshaun Watson 12th overall) of draft picks to reload roster. Only three guys standout, the other two are JJ Watt 11th overall and Andre Johnson 3rd overall. In hindsight all worthy of being selected #1 overall, looking back.

I’m not trying or interested in roasting this organization for its draft selections, even if I see it unfold come draft day, what I am interested is learning from my mistakes and selecting that long term franchise player, in the face of criticism if need be, despite what draft rankings say or pundits declare on their soap opera pedestals.

Either one of these two QB’s could be that guy, fortunately we are months away to figure that out. I like the mental makeup of CJ Stroud, his size, competitive fight, leadership and arm. But I also like Bryce Young, his quick release, vision and playmaking ability. Teams will want to trade up, Caserio may prefer draft capital in return, but he better make damn sure this go around he knocks those selections out of the park so those players can be in the same discussion with Stroud and Young.

:koolaid:

Reactions: JB
However u feel about Mario, he finished up with 100 sacks and wound up being the right pick..

Mario did not have the significant impact for Texans worthy of the #1 overall selection. Now you can argue Rick Smith could have seen writing on the wall. offered more money, or traded him before FA. 53 sacks certainly noteworthy for franchise (2nd all time to JJ Watt) but 6 years, injured his last 2011. Wade Phillips moved him to OLB, and really flashed but never had the impact expected for the Texans after injury. Mario opted for FA with Bills, where he flourished playing all 16 games next three years with double sack seasons of 12, 15, 19 so defenently worthy of #1 overall selection but those results were not with franchise who drafted him #1 overall, that is my point, and in return, Texans never won anything despite JJ Watts best efforts and Texans petered away, no compensation & back to that #1 overall selection again in 2016. IS that fair expectations? Maybe, maybe not but I only care about results, learning from history and moving on.

Reactions: JB
Mario did not have the significant impact for Texans worthy of the #1 overall selection. Now you can argue Rick Smith could have seen writing on the wall. offered more money, or traded him before FA. 53 sacks certainly noteworthy for franchise (2nd all time to JJ Watt) but 6 years, injured his last 2011. Wade Phillips moved him to OLB, and really flashed but never had the impact expected for the Texans after injury. Mario opted for FA with Bills, where he flourished playing all 16 games next three years with double sack seasons of 12, 15, 19 so defenently worthy of #1 overall selection but those results were not with franchise who drafted him #1 overall, that is my point, and in return, Texans never won anything despite JJ Watts best efforts and Texans petered away, no compensation & back to that #1 overall selection again in 2016. IS that fair expectations? Maybe, maybe not but I only care about results, learning from history and moving on.

What have you learned from History?

I'm hoping not only does Caserio not pick Young, he trades back to #4 or 5 and still gets to pick Carter.

Yet they continue to be drafted and even traded up for.

In a vacuum you’re right but by that line of thinking and the reality of what our options were in that slot you are wrong….especially when you consider who the #2 and #3 picks were….which he was more productive than both those guys.

he was the right pick…he was just put in the wrong defense here.

I'm hoping not only does Caserio not pick Young, he trades back to #4 or 5 and still gets to pick Carter.

people talk about trading back from this slot all the time…but it never happens b/c teams dont want to give up the capital to do it……at this point i dont even call it a realistic option…just something draftniks dream of. To me its ecen more unrealistic this year b/c there’s no Manning, Luck or Lawrence type prospect at the top.

we may as well get ready to make this #1 overall selection…

Texans are in the best position to not only have their choice of franchise QB's they also traded for Cleveland's 1st (which happens to be 9th overall as of now) so they can protect him w/franchise tackle. Penn State OT Olumuywa Fashanufrom would be my preferred prospect but if gone, still have shot @ Peter Skoronski. So, history would lean to select franchise QB in tandem with blindside protection LT.

Myles Murphy and Tyree Wilson are the 2 best defensive linemen in the draft this year along with the K-State kid, in my observation.
I agree and have them in my mock with a trade down to Detroit. I am hoping that young and Stroud continue to look fantastic. Murphy and Wilson cannot only push the pocket but shut down the Run accomplishing two of our biggest issues. I am actually watching more NFL football even if it is the bottom 10 teams rather than the top 10 teams.

people talk about trading back from this slot all the time…but it never happens b/c teams dont want to give up the capital to do it……at this point i dont even call it a realistic option…just something draftniks dream of. To me its ecen more unrealistic this year b/c there’s no Manning, Luck or Lawrence type prospect at the top.

we may as well get ready to make this #1 overall selection…
I think that the teams with the 1.1 pick need that pick more than they need what is offered for it.

Texans are in the best position to not only have their choice of franchise QB's they also traded for Cleveland's 1st (which happens to be 9th overall as of now) so they can protect him w/franchise tackle. Penn State OT Olumuywa Fashanufrom would be my preferred prospect but if gone, still have shot @ Peter Skoronski. So, history would lean to select franchise QB in tandem with blindside protection LT.
They're good at tackle, no need to waste a pick there imo.

Let's say Detroit, Panthers and Seattle want QBs. Lions can save IIRC $29 million cutting Goff; Seattle may lose Geno in FA or just want to go with a new player or could keep Geno and draft a QB. I have seen few thinking Seattle will return next season with what they have now without a better option at least learning on the bench. Panthers picking high and probably taking QB puts pressure in mix.

1.1 Raiders take Will Anderson as many say Houston wants the best player in draft. Teams wanting a specific QB must deal with Texans..
Or gamble and they may. Those who would be satisfied with either Stroud or Young can hope one falls or trade below Houston.

It helps Caserio if teams think he will take QB if he selects 1 thru 3.

Another option:

1.1 Raiders select Young or Stroud & this places tremendous pressure on those teams desiring the other. Caserio smiles as above it's highly possible if not probable he will take the other but-- huge offer could pry 1.2.
This could also work with other combinations:
1.1 Raiders Anderson or QB
1.2 Eagles from NO take Anderson, Murphy or Carter
1.3 Texans again team to deal with.

Could Eagles trade down?
Sure but if they are sold on "best player" do they risk Texans picking Anderson?

Long ways to go before we know the final positioning but that's what makes mocks fun.
CJ Stroud’s agent is Malughetta. Hard for the Texans to sell to anyone that they will be jumping back into bed with him.

Tankathon 3 Round Mock, Stroud over Young - https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/mock_draft

Not endorsing their Mock (exercise purposes only) and fully comprehend sentiment of my fellow Texan fans wanting to trade down. Unlike past drafts, when Texans held that #1 position, with no franchise QB's available, there will be two, equally graded franchise QB's to select, seems to be personal preference, so if y'all want to trade down its understandable especially if Lovie Smith is still the Head Coach? I see him standing behind Mills and building pieces around him. If fired, its open question depending on who is next Head Coach? I see that candidate wanting his own franchise QB be it Stroud or Young and use picks to build around him instead of Mills.

1. CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio State 6-3 215
9. (via Cleveland/Watson) Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State 6-0 198
33. Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Edge, Kansas State, 6-4 255
65. Jacquelin Roy, DT, LSU 6-3 315
71. (via Cleveland/Watson) Rashad Torrence, S, Florida 6-0 202

In 2002 Jerry wasn't known as such a GM minded owner was he?

Oh, yeah.

To my memory, that was a big reason Jimmy Johnson left and Jerry went with Switzer. I remember an interview with Jerry where he said he thought he could go down and coach and be a good coach, but he was going to leave that to the coaches.

From the moment he bought the team, he was the GM. With that said, he was replacing Tex Schramm who was also Owner/Manager and he did allow Jimmy Johnson the title of Player/Personnel.

CJ Stroud’s agent is Malughetta. Hard for the Texans to sell to anyone that they will be jumping back into bed with him.
So the reports of other teams besides Cleveland being interested in DeShaun Watson who has the same agent were all false? I get the agent thing and do not want the Texans to deal with him either but Stroud is still a pretty good candidate for the first pick in the draft.

So the reports of other teams besides Cleveland being interested in DeShaun Watson who has the same agent were all false? I get the agent thing and do not want the Texans to deal with him either but Stroud is still a pretty good candidate for the first pick in the draft.
If he turns out to be any good I wonder how that 2nd contract negotiations would go.

I wonder if you could “force” him to play out that 5th year option if you decide to exercise it.

I wonder if you’d even make it to year 4 without threatening a holdout

Week in, week out, we face strong Dlines and they wreak havoc on us.
Otoh, ours is sub par and the opponents are able to effectively score on us. Add to that an underperforming Oline and you have a recipe for failure.
Now we could shore up our Oline, but we definitely need to create a DLine that slows down the opponents scoring ability.
The old adage "the battle is won in the trenches" is obviously true watching the Texans.
Man, how valuable was JJ Watt?

If Young isn't the pick I hope Carter is 1-1 and Jared Verse is pick 2-32. Throw in Johnston at 1-10 and that's the start of a great draft.

If Young isn't the pick I hope Carter is 1-1 and Jared Verse is pick 2-32. Throw in Johnston at 1-10 and that's the start of a great draft.
I think I have NC pegged.
I reckon he is going to try and bring in a recognized vet and run with him for at least a year and use those top two draft picks on DL and probably WR or C. He might take a QB if a decent one is still around at the top of the 2nd round.
Levis could easily fall.
Edit - I'm taking Will Anderson , Peter Skaronski, or Quentin Johnson
. Michael Mayer is also intriguing - I think he is pro ready.

Last edited:
If you draft Stroud that doesn’t mean your team will be mediocre. Come on Steel let that narrative go.

Disclaimer: this not an attack.
It does mean that if you draft Stroud into this current team, he will be on a losing team and mediocre at best. Similar to Lawrence in Jacksonville and Fields in Chicago, he will NOT turn the Texans into a respectable team. Learn a lesson from those other teams that were much further along than the current Texans before drafting their QB of the future.

It does mean that if you draft Stroud into this current team, he will be on a losing team and mediocre at best. Similar to Lawrence in Jacksonville and Fields in Chicago, he will NOT turn the Texans into a respectable team. Learn a lesson from those other teams that were much further along than the current Texans before drafting their QB of the future.
Quoted for truth

And I don't think Stroud will ever be more than a top 15 QB, if that.

Back