Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brock Osweiler agrees to 4 year 72 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Trade up from #4 to #1 is a difference of 1200 points; trading up from #22 to #6 is a difference of 820 points. Trading up from #4 to #1 is twice as expensive.
So now it's just move up to #6? But Wentz is going either 2 or 4 right?

Texian

Hall of Fame
That was a trade up from 4 to 1, talk about apples and oranges.
Trade up from #4 to #1 is a difference of 1200 points; trading up from #22 to #6 is a difference of 820 points. Trading up from #4 to #1 is twice as expensive.
Didn't they make it to the NFC Championship game in Julio's sophomore season? & that was after not winning in the play offs for like a decade before... I think.

Julio Jones may have very well been the final piece. They just weren't able to hold that team together very long afterwards. Losing the draft picks may have hurt them in finding replacement players, but that's a different story (as I don't recall how many future picks were involved).
Jones was suppose to be the final piece to the offense and his first few years he delivered, then the OL fell apart and the defense played poorly.

Texian

Hall of Fame
So now it's just move up to #6? But Wentz is going either 2 or 4 right?
I've always said Wentz and Goff with Wentz my #1 and Goff my #2 and yes, I would've traded up to #6 for Goff and I think you knew that.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I'll give you that about the points, however, trading up to #6... that's probably not going to be good enough.

If we don't get Osweiler (and effectively remove ourselves as a threat to make a move to nab a QB), then the Niners have to be looking at moving up into that #3 spot just in case someone else makes a move, or in case Dallas decides to get Goff.

In that original trade scenario, the Chargers had to come up with about 1200 points in differential to their #4 pick. If we have to trade up to #3 to make sure we get the other QB, we'd have to come up with at least an extra 1400 points and probably more to be able to induce the Chargers to make that trade.

And this is all assuming that the Chargers or the Cowboys aren't in play. Which is a big assumption.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I'll give you that about the points, however, trading up to #6... that's probably not going to be good enough.

If we don't get Osweiler (and effectively remove ourselves as a threat to make a move to nab a QB), then the Niners have to be looking at moving up into that #3 spot just in case someone else makes a move, or in case Dallas decides to get Goff.

In that original trade scenario, the Chargers had to come up with about 1200 points in differential to their #4 pick. If we have to trade up to #3 to make sure we get the other QB, we'd have to come up with at least an extra 1400 points and probably more to be able to induce the Chargers to make that trade.

And this is all assuming that the Chargers or the Cowboys aren't in play. Which is a big assumption.
It was a game I was willingly to play and would've have happily swapped 2016 1st, #1 in 2017 and even 2018 if needed but doubtful and include Clowney to get to where you needed to be. Clearly you and many others disagree. Come 2018 I think you will understand why. And if you don't get Osweiller there are Lynch and Cook and other trades that could likely have been made. I stand by my opinion it was panic and rush to judgement by folks who brought you Hoyer and Mallett as the answer to Houston's QB woes.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It was a game I was willingly to play and would've have happily swapped 2016 1st, #1 in 2017 and even 2018 if needed but doubtful and include Clowney to get to where you needed to be. Clearly you and many others disagree. Come 2018 I think you will understand why. And if you don't get Osweiller there are Lynch and Cook and other trades that could likely have been made. I stand by my opinion it was panic and rush to judgement by folks who brought you Hoyer and Mallett as the answer to Houston's QB woes.
Hopefully McNair/BOB/Smith scouted Wentz/Goff/Lynch/Cook and decided Os was better. I personally think Os will be better than Lynch/Cook and I hope he turns out as well as Wentz/Goff. (Which is not out of the question.) I cant wait to see how this turns out over the next 3 yrs.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Man this league is finally going to have way more good QBs than teams. With Wentz, Goff, Mariota, Winston, Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr, & Garrapolo all being elite... not to mention Luck & Cam.

We're headed into the Golden Age of NFL passing. It's going to be a blast.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Man this league is finally going to have way more good QBs than teams. With Wentz, Goff, Mariota, Winston, Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr, & Garrapolo all being elite... not to mention Luck & Cam.

We're headed into the Golden Age of NFL passing. It's going to be a blast.
The Oz!!!!

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Hopefully McNair/BOB/Smith scouted Wentz/Goff/Lynch/Cook and decided Os was better. I personally think Os will be better than Lynch/Cook and I hope he turns out as well as Wentz/Goff. (Which is not out of the question.) I cant wait to see how this turns out over the next 3 yrs.
More than likely they scouted everyone and decided that Os was more obtainable than Goff or Wentz and better than Lynch/Cook. Not to mention well past all four of them in terms of knowing how to prepare as a starting NFL QB.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
So what about trading Flacco for picks and drafting wentz or goff? You do remember saying that right? Or is it apples,oranges,watermelons,and tangerines?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
More than likely they scouted everyone and decided that Os was more obtainable than Goff or Wentz and better than Lynch/Cook. Not to mention well past all four of them in terms of knowing how to prepare as a starting NFL QB.
Yep. I like Os and the fact he's in the age bracket of the others. I've said the only difference in all 4 teams was the qb. I believe the texans have more talent than the other 3 and now the have a qb. Yall can keep arguing with Texian, but I'm looking at other spots they can get better.

Reactions: ROO

chenjy9

Rookie
Why do you guys keep arguing with Texian. Everyone knows he's either a troll, a terrible excuse of a human being, or a sad combination of both. If everyone just slaps him on ignore, life here would be so, so much better for everyone.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Why do you guys keep arguing with Texian. Everyone knows he's either a troll, a terrible excuse of a human being, or a sad combination of both. If everyone just slaps him on ignore, life here would be so, so much better for everyone.
Do what you want... Texian puts out a lot of good info and is always entertaining. I don't put anyone on ignore but then I don't call them terrible excuse's of a human being either, no matter what I think.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
If Texian is a troll, congratulations on stoking his fire. LOL

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
Check that math. It's slightly less than half again as much. Not twice as much.

corytx8

Rookie
Do what you want... Texian puts out a lot of good info and is always entertaining. I don't put anyone on ignore but then I don't call them terrible excuse's of a human being either, no matter what I think.
This right here. We may disagree on things, but I respect his opinion which he is entitled to.

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
My last four alerts read, Marshall, Marshall, Marshall, Marshall. You read like a bad episode of The Brady Bunch, either that you're trolling.
I prefer mathematically correct verbiage. Two plus two does NOT EQUAL five no matter what some educated idiot says so they can sell a text to captured audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.