Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brock Osweiler agrees to 4 year 72 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
I'd love to see the Texans offer $17 or $18 million per year to Brock Osweiler.

Make the Broncos increase their reported offer of three years and $45 million ($15 per) at the very least.

I wouldn't mind throwing this guy a ton of guaranteed signing bonus as well.

Let's play ball, Broncos!
May the highest bidder win.

Rick Smith versus John Elway.
Smith has created more cap space.

Things will be interesting...

Bulls on Parade

Also the Broncos offer is performance based. It's not three years and $45 million like reported. More like two years and $12 million per with an option on a third year. He'd have to play well to earn the full money and three years.

The Broncos offer seems weak, IMO.

The Texans can come in strong and force their hand. I'm excited to see it all play out.

I think we'll offer Brock Osweiler the most guaranteed money (bigger signing bonus), which is what it usually comes down to when negotiating these big contracts.

Denver is in a tough place. A defending Super Bowl champion that may be in no-man's land regarding their quarterback situation. They may have to sign RG3 and draft a quarterback at pick #32.

Not that we have any sympathy for them! They have the Lombardi Trophy and we know what it feels like not to have a quarterback.

Reactions: ROO

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'd love to see the Texans offer $17 or $18 million per year to Brock Osweiler.

Make the Broncos increase their reported offer of three years and $45 million ($15 per) at the very least.

I wouldn't mind throwing this guy a ton of guaranteed signing bonus as well.

Let's play ball, Broncos!
May the highest bidder win.

Rick Smith versus John Elway.
Smith has created more cap space.

Things will be interesting...
Elway has also had his team in the Super Bowl two of the last three years. I'll take that over cap space any day of the week.

I'm all for going after Os. I wouldn't mind seeing the Texans sign him to a long term contract, but structure it so that all the guaranteed money was paid in the 1st two years. Say 5 years, $90-$95 mil with $35-$40 mil guaranteed. That way you can get out after two years if he doesn't pan out.

Scooter

Funky
I'm on record saying I don't think Osweiler is a very good quarterback. He's better than what we have currently, but that's not really saying anything. I wouldn't offer Brock any more than Denver is, and I'd also make it performance based. If we were set to add a first round quarterback to the roster in addition to signing Brock I might be a bit more forgiving since we'd have a plan B in place, but that kind of contract probably wouldn't lure him away from the Broncos.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'm on record saying I don't think Osweiler is a very good quarterback. He's better than what we have currently, but that's not really saying anything. I wouldn't offer Brock any more than Denver is, and I'd also make it performance based. If we were set to add a first round quarterback to the roster in addition to signing Brock I might be a bit more forgiving since we'd have a plan B in place, but that kind of contract probably wouldn't lure him away from the Broncos.
I think a lot more highly of him than you. The biggest knock I have on him is that when he's successful early in a game and gets on a roll, he gets a gunslinger attitude and starts forcing throws.

He's 25, got a rocket arm and would be in a system that won't ask too much of him...

I say sign him, draft a RB and another QB and see what happens

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
You know Ricky want to
Elway has also had his team in the Super Bowl two of the last three years. I'll take that over cap space any day of the week.

I'm all for going after Os. I wouldn't mind seeing the Texans sign him to a long term contract, but structure it so that all the guaranteed money was paid in the 1st two years. Say 5 years, $90-$95 mil with $35-$40 mil guaranteed. That way you can get out after two years if he doesn't pan out.
But will Brock ? I'd think so but who knows ? Ricky is going headup against big John Elway, what's gonna happen here ?
I hope we get him, but I just don't see Brock walking away from that sweet deal in Denver.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
You know Ricky want to

But will Brock ? I'd think so but who knows ? Ricky is going headup against big John Elway, what's gonna happen here ?
I hope we get him, but I just don't see Brock walking away from that sweet deal in Denver.
That's why I put the deal between $18-$19 mil a year and guaranteeing more than Denver can likely afford. I bet Brock realizes this and after Denver sweetens the pot to match the Texans offer, you know his agent will be on the phone with Smith. I don't mind a bit of a bidding war as long as Smith knows when to blink.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Right... if only the draft was before free agency right? The Texans don't have the luxury to sleep on a possible franchise QB. They need to be turning over every stone. If we picked in the top 5, chances are we wouldn't be as aggressive going after Os. But at 22, there's no guarantee that even Cook will be there.

Imagine they get to the draft & can't work a deal to get the guy they want. Then end up missing on the QBs they give a first round grade to. Should they reach & take their next highest graded QB in the first? Maybe that's Driskel, can you imagine taking Driskel in the first? If there's a run in the first, Driskel may not be there for us in the 2nd. Or we end up having to give away more than we wanted to trade up to get him.

I'm not sold on Osweiler either, but I can't imagine the Texans not trying to make this team better, exploring all possibilities.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
If offer what it takes to get him as long as we can get out after 2 years.

Give him more through those first 2 years guaranteed than the Broncos can afford and gI've him incentives to gain elite money if his play deserves it. Roll the dice on the best QB available to us, draft an insurance policy with a high draft pick.

It's now or never for BO'B to go all in to get the QB he needs.

If it works out I'll forgive him sitting on his hands for the past 2 years (I'm sure there's plenty who won't), if it doesn't work out he's toast anyway.

I also think that realistically we will have to reach in the first round should the situation come up, this signing frees us up to look at other positions at the top of the draft.

Fingers crossed Brock wants to come, we won't do any better than him this offseason.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
As the Texans make their push, here's what to know about Brock Osweiler
11:30 AM ET
  • Tania Ganguli ESPN Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- In an effort to upgrade their quarterback position, it does appear the Houston Texans are making a sincere effort to land Broncos quarterback Brock Osweiler. I'll still be interested to see how far they'll go, but the Broncos will also have limits.

Either side can reach an agreement today, but only the Broncos can sign him to a new deal right now. The Texans would have to wait until tomorrow at 4 p.m. ET to make any deal official.

As that process plays out, here's what you should know about Osweiler:

• Osweiler won his first three starts with Denver making a playoff push. According to ESPN Stats and Info, that made him the first Broncos quarterback to do that since Craig Penrose won his 1st 3 career NFL starts over the 1976 and 1978 seasons. Osweiler led the Broncos to wins over the Bears, Patriots and the Chargers.

• Texans coach Bill O'Brien really pays attention to situational football and how a player performs in pressure situations. One really good example of that for Osweiler came in that Patriots game. The game was in Denver, it was snowing, and it was Osweiler's second start. With 2:31 left in the game, Osweiler led an 83-yard touchdown drive that gave the Broncos the lead. It included a 36-yard pass to Demaryius Thomas, a 39-yard pass to Emmanuel Sanders and a 4-yard touchdown pass to Andre Caldwell. It was a high-pressure situation, and Osweiler delivered. The Broncos won the game in overtime.

• It wasn't all good. Osweiler played in eight games last season, and his numbers regressed in the second half, as they often do with quarterbacks. While his first-half Total QBR was better than Tom Brady's, according to ESPN Stats and Info, his second half was the worst in the league among qualifying quarterbacks.

• He was better on shorter throws. Also from ESPN Stats and Info, when the ball traveled 14 or fewer yards in the air, Osweiler's completion percentage was slightly above the league average at 70. When it traveled 15 or more yards in the air, his completion percentage was 31, a full 12 percentage points below the league average. Osweiler's Total QBR on those throws was the lowest in the NFL.

• He's got to learn to throw the ball away. In the eight games he played (six starts and two games with at least 20 attempts), Osweiler was sacked 23 times. His 2.88 sacks per game rank among the highest in the league. Contrast that to his teammate Peyton Manning, who was only sacked 16 times in 10 games for a per-game average that was among the best in the NFL. It's a skill he can learn, and not one that would scare me away. It certainly isn't a major concern for the Texans.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think a lot more highly of him than you. The biggest knock I have on him is that when he's successful early in a game and gets on a roll, he gets a gunslinger attitude and starts forcing throws.
I like him, too. I think his tendency to go gunslinger will be tempered by O'Brien. I think Brock has all the physical tools that O'Brien has stated that he looks for in a QB, so it would not surprise me if the Texans really roll out the red carpet to entice him to sign here.

And for me, I'd be stoked if we got him. It's not the prediction of the future for me, but rather excited about the potential for the future.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
I think the Texans are being suckered into signing Os. If the Broncs really want him to start, they aren't going to let him get away. They're in no position to draft a good QB. I think they want somebody else to take him because he's so inconsistent, freeing a ton of cap money for them so they can go after the QB they really want. Os is basically a backup; you don't pay him that kind of money. Do not give away the franchise for another reserve destined to be a disappointment.

Last edited:

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
I think the Texans are being suckered into signing Os. If the Broncs really want him to start, they aren't going to let him get away. They're in no position to draft a good QB. I think they want somebody else to take him because he's so inconsistent, freeing a ton of cap money for them so they can go after the QB they really want. Os is basically a backup; you don't pay him that kind of money. Do not give away the franchise for another reserve destined to be a dissapointment.
Well, we have almost $50 million in cap space, but we don't have a QB. So, I'm not sure how spending on Osweiler is "giving away the franchise."

The reason why we may be able to get Osweiler is that we are in a much better cap position than Denver. Denver has already offered him 3yrs and $45 million.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think the Texans are being suckered into signing Os. If the Broncs really want him to start, they aren't going to let him get away. They're in no position to draft a good QB. I think they want somebody else to take him because he's so inconsistent, freeing a ton of cap money for them so they can go after the QB they really want. Os is basically a backup; you don't pay him that kind of money. Do not give away the franchise for another reserve destined to be a dissapointment.
See what Washington did with RGIII? Pretty much told him to walk. They didn't want him.

I could see the Broncos playing around before free agency to try to get a draft pick, but if they didn't want him, they wouldn't have started the bidding at $13M/yr

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
If they don't want him why did they offer him?

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Except not signing Oz adds nothing to their cap space. He's not currently on their team. Other that, still a crappy theory.

Seegara

Well I can tell you this: If Smith-Obie sign him and use him as an excuse not to draft a !st round QB, they're going raise the hackles of Bob McNair.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Well I can tell you this: If Smith-Obie sign him and use him as an excuse not to draft a !st round QB, they're going raise the hackles of Bob McNair.
I think McNair's hackles will find Osweiler no less than equal to a first round QB not named Goff or Wentz.

Seegara

so you really think Mcnair is oblivious to everything going on in the NFL?
Well, maybe he is ok with signing a FA QB, but he won't be tightly controlling who is drafted, and if it isn't a QB, the squat hits the fan.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
More likely they'll relieve Mr. McNair's hackles because they don't have to trade away the farm to trade up in the draft and can, instead, use the draft to strengthen other positions.
If they believe Os is a franchise QB, that's a win-win. If it turns out their right? Then I think a lot of people, including myself, owe a few apologies to the Texans coaching staff and front office.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Well, maybe he is ok with signing a FA QB, but he won't be tightly controlling who is drafted, and if it isn't a QB, the squat hits the fan.
He's more than lightly involved with every $16 mil+ a year contract. That's the top 2 players on the team.

Seegara

More likely they'll relieve Mr. McNair's hackles because they don't have to trade away the farm to trade up in the draft and can, instead, use the draft to strengthen other positions.
If they believe Os is a franchise QB, that's a win-win. If it turns out their right? Then I think a lot of people, including myself, owe a few apologies to the Texans coaching staff and front office.
It's win-win only if it turns out to be true. And if it does I'll apologize, but somehow I don't think I'll have to.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
It's win-win only if it turns out to be true. And if it does I'll apologize, but somehow I don't think I'll have to.
No. It's win-win because the Texans didn't trade away the future on a prospect, however highly regarded, strengthened the team (if they draft like they did in 2015) and took a good swing for a potential franchise QB. That's best I can ask them to do.

Bulls on Parade

The Texans could have likely done the same if we had signed Peyton Manning four off-seasons ago like I wanted them to. We once had an 11-1 record through 12 games (best in NFL) with that same coaching staff as well. Not to mention we had the same starting tight end for that matter.

Kudos to John Elway, being a Hall of Fame quarterback, realizing the importance of that position and taking a gamble on Peyton Manning, who was coming off serious neck surgeries and rehah at the time.

Bob McNair had that infamous quote while being interviewed by ABC-13's Bob Allen that I tend to never forget, "We have a great quarterback already in Matt Schaub that we believe in. We are flattered and understand Peyton's interest in coming here."

Denver's recent success could have been the Texans success over the past four seasons but we didn't take that gamble. On Brock Osweiler, let's go for it and out-bid the Broncos.

What's funny, is defensively, our defense is just as good as what the Broncos have. I would even say J.J. Watt is better than Von Miller and the best defensive player in the entire league. We even have a wide receiver who's top five in the game and better than any wideout the Broncos have.

Talent wise, I think we're comparable to the Broncos when you take out the quarterback position. And well, special teams play as well. Their cornerbacks also come to play more consistently than ours (they have better secondary depth). A couple of really good D-Lineman the Broncos are about to lose in free agency though, especially if they want to have enough cap space to re-sign Brock Osweiler.

People praise the Broncos for being a great organization. The Houston Texans are as well. We just don't take smart gambles. Especially at the quarterback position. It's time we change that!!!!!!!

Rick Smith could be praised just like John Elway if he just took those gambles. It's funny how teams with good quarterbacks can win consistently in this league.

Heck, we made the playoffs this past season with Brian Hoyer starting!

Think about that for a second. Let's go get us a good quarterback in a couple more days. I would take all the risks involved just to over-pay for Brock Osweiler.

What's frustrating is we're here dreaming about the Houston Texans trying to win a Super Bowl one day (much less reaching the big game), especially with Super Bowl 51 being at NRG Stadium here in Houston this upcoming February. When the truth is we should have already won a Super Bowl or two by now. We've had tons of talent on our team but seem to ignore the quarterback position.

Let's spend every penny and cap space on a young and talented quarterback entering his prime if we can! It would feel like when we first brought in Matt Schaub. There was hope. And Schaub was pretty good, a pro bowler that led the league in passing one year, when healthy.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
This is so cool as this describes him as every QB we've had; on short passes fairly accurate but on anything more than 15 uh oh. He is inconsistent and we have not seen much about him that is positive..so our coaches and players should feel comfortable that their role will remain same. WRs don't have to worry about going deep and Oline just need to hold on until a flag is thrown or he goes down.

Most seem to agree he is better than Hoyer if not by much and we even get to pay him four to five times more than Hoyer. At least for once, we have the ka ching to greatly over pay for a QB..if we want. At least we don't have to worry about Os playing us against Denver..right?

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
That's a good BINGO! Clear your cards.

If OB and Smith are talking to Osweiller's agent it's only because McNair said, Do It!
That sounds like instructed no matter their thoughts. That's not what AT said which was knowledge and approval.

Bulls on Parade

I think Brock Osweiler has a canon arm and can definitely throw the deep ball. You can make a case that our best offensive playmaker is better than any Denver had in their receiving corps.

Pair big Brock with DeAndre Hopkins and some big plays are coming with that excellent arm and those excellent big hands that can one-hand snag balls like the nerf toys.

I watched Nuk Hopkins destroy the competition in the Pro Bowl on a couple of deep routes (well over 20 yards) with a good quarterback throwing him the ball.

Hopkins playing with a good quarterback? From top five in the league to maybe the best wide receiver in the game. He's that good and a game changer.

The problem is Brian Hoyer was that bad... And still Hopkins got his... Watch that video that Papal posted on another thread. It showed Brock Osweiler throwing some beautiful strikes deep down the field. Balls that Hoyer simply can't throw. One was a 40-yard dart off his back foot - no forward momentum - and he still got tons of air under it.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think the Texans are being suckered into signing Os. If the Broncs really want him to start, they aren't going to let him get away. They're in no position to draft a good QB. I think they want somebody else to take him because he's so inconsistent, freeing a ton of cap money for them so they can go after the QB they really want. Os is basically a backup; you don't pay him that kind of money. Do not give away the franchise for another reserve destined to be a disappointment.
Just curious, but what leverage do you think the Broncos have to not let him get away?

They don't have a choice in the matter. They made their offer, and now the ball is completely in Brock's court to either hit it back or check out other offers.

The Broncos have way too many players to sign right now to try to compete with other teams for Brock. They made their offer and most likely hope he gives them a so-called "hometown discount".

However, Brock could be looking at millions of dollars in difference between the Broncos offer and what other teams will offer him. And with a team like the Texans, there is a lot here that he could really be enticed by beyond the dollars.

If they sign Brock, it will be because of McNair, not in spite of him. And if they are chatting with Brock's agent right now, I have no doubt that it is directly related to McNair's QB mandate a month or so ago. He most likely has his GM and HC and staff figure out who they would like on some kind of evaluation scale, and then gives them the green light to make it happen within predetermined financial parameters.

McNair saw what we saw in Brock. Lots of talent and potential and a player that appears to be an almost perfect fit for what O'Brien has stated he wants in a QB.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
So many fans aren't happy unless they are miserable! I know many of the same people complaining about bidding for Osweiler have also complained about the Texans' lack of aggressiveness in acquiring QBs in the past. The Texans can't manifest Andrew Luck. There only options are the players that are currently available in free agency, trade, and the draft. Fans should be thrilled that the Texans are willing to throw a ton of money at the best free agent option (who also has tools, youth, and upside)... and, it coincides with this organization's healthiest cap year since 2002.
That is why they are simultaneously bidding for Lamar Miller. They can sign both and still be $25 million under this year's cap, $45+ million under the 2017 cap, with team control over their stars: Hopkins, Watt, Clowney, KJ, etc...

Flyingfish

Waterboy
If they sign Brock and it is a mistake, its definitely a salary cap hit, but the salary cap would be no worse than the emotional hit that hanging everyone's hopes on Schaub and Hoyer created. The difference is, Brock still has an upside - fans, and I suspect players, are starved for that. If the Texans sign Brock and guess wrong, he gets cut and the salary cap takes a hit. Denver took Tebow and survived the salary cap hit. Seattle signed Matt Flynn and survived the salary cap hit. It can be done. I would rather sign Brock and have a chance while JJ is still in his prime rather than draft a rookie and hope he will be productive by the time JJ retires.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So many fans aren't happy unless they are miserable! I know many of the same people complaining about bidding for Osweiler have also complained about the Texans' lack of aggressiveness in acquiring QBs in the past. The Texans can't manifest Andrew Luck. There only options are the players that are currently available in free agency, trade, and the draft. Fans should be thrilled that the Texans are willing to throw a ton of money at the best free agent option (who also has tools, youth, and upside)... and, it coincides with this organization's healthiest cap year since 2002.
That is why they are simultaneously bidding for Lamar Miller. They can sign both and still be $25 million under this year's cap, $45+ million under the 2017 cap, with team control over their stars: Hopkins, Watt, Clowney, KJ, etc...
Well said, man. I'm trying not to get my hopes up right now about Brock, but man, I'd be pretty excited about 2016 if it happened.

Folks have to understand that finding proven veteran QBs are not something that we can ever expect. It is such a rare thing that when we have seem them, they are usually coming off of injury (like Manning and Brees). Otherwise, teams lock them up long term. Heck, even guys like Sam Bradford are getting huge deals.

So we are looking at either the draft, trade, or FA. And in all three cases, you are either dealing with the unknown/unproven talent (i.e. Schaub, Brock, Mallet, rookie), or, you are taking a scrap QB that you already know his ceiling and hope for the best (i..e. Hoyer, Fitzpatrick, Weeden).

For me, I'll take the chance on unknown/unproven over some perpetual scrub like Hoyer. And maybe it just comes down to hope. Because you can hope for a guy that is unproven/unknown, but I have little hope when we pick up a guy like Hoyer. Sure, we can be pleasantly surprised like we were with Fitz in 2014, but that's just it, a surprise in spite of low expectations. But most of the time, these types of QBs usually fulfill those low expectations. There is a reason why they were easy to sign.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Well said, man. I'm trying not to get my hopes up right now about Brock, but man, I'd be pretty excited about 2016 if it happened.

Folks have to understand that finding proven veteran QBs are not something that we can ever expect. It is such a rare thing that when we have seem them, they are usually coming off of injury (like Manning and Brees). Otherwise, teams lock them up long term. Heck, even guys like Sam Bradford are getting huge deals.

So we are looking at either the draft, trade, or FA. And in all three cases, you are either dealing with the unknown/unproven talent (i.e. Schaub, Brock, Mallet, rookie), or, you are taking a scrap QB that you already know his ceiling and hope for the best (i..e. Hoyer, Fitzpatrick, Weeden).

For me, I'll take the chance on unknown/unproven over some perpetual scrub like Hoyer. And maybe it just comes down to hope. Because you can hope for a guy that is unproven/unknown, but I have little hope when we pick up a guy like Hoyer. Sure, we can be pleasantly surprised like we were with Fitz in 2014, but that's just it, a surprise in spite of low expectations. But most of the time, these types of QBs usually fulfill those low expectations. There is a reason why they were easy to sign.
I really think that signing Osweiler will not dissuade them from drafting a Qb that falls to them in rounds 1-3 (Lynch, Hackenburg, etc..). I have been saying since the off-season began that McNair reached the tipping point with the Texans issues at QB. As a result, I believe he has empowered and stressed to Smith and O'Brien to do anything and everything needed to solve quarterback for the short and long term. I expect a significant veteran name and also a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. Otherwise, I think they will trade into the top 10 and grab Goff/Wentz.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Osweiler is just using the Texans to drive up the Broncos offer, which they will. Why exactly is this guy in a rush to leave Denver again? Disrespected about Manning getting reinserted? Doesnt like the QB friendly system Koobs employs? Maybe the HOF QB in the front office just doesnt connect with him? Rather wake up to the concrete mountains in Houston vs some of the most beautiful scenery in the country? Not sure why coming here seems like the much better option. Screams leverage move.

Hell I'd take Fitzy over Osweiler if the intent is to still draft the QB of the future this year and start the process.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Osweiler is just using the Texans to drive up the Broncos offer, which they will. Why exactly is this guy in a rush to leave Denver again? Disrespected about Manning getting reinserted? Doesnt like the QB friendly system Koobs employs? Maybe the HOF QB in the front office just doesnt connect with him? Rather wake up to the concrete mountains in Houston vs some of the most beautiful scenery in the country? Not sure why coming here seems like the much better option. Screams leverage move.

Hell I'd take Fitzy over Osweiler if the intent is to still draft the QB of the future this year and start the process.
plus he was roommates with Elways son in college so I would assume him and John have some sort of relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.