Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brock Osweiler agrees to 4 year 72 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ristian-hackenberg-blames-decline-on-coaching

Christian Hackenberg's explanation for why his passing production declined over his last two years at Penn State reportedly isn't sitting well. The quarterback has pointed the finger of blame at PSU coach James Franklin in discussions with personnel executives from at least two NFL clubs, according to the Monday Morning Quarterback.

"Despite the fact that it's probably true, you don't want to hear a kid say that," a source told the publication.

Hackenberg's most productive college season came under former PSU coach Bill O'Brien, now of the Houston Texans, in 2013. Though he was only a true freshman at the time, Hackenberg flashed great promise under O'Brien in passing for nearly 3,000 yards and 20 touchdowns. In two years under Franklin since then, his completion percentage declined and he threw just 12 touchdown passes in 2014 with 16 in 2015. Poor pass protection and, at times, Hackenberg's own hesitancy in the pocket, led to 82 sacks over those last two years, as well.

Its all part of the plan. Hack dropping to the 4th round on purpose. BOB did learn from the best

I haven't been on this Forum since before the Os signing. I expected to log on and read all of the excited posts about the great future of the franchise. == I haven't read so much Doom and Gloom since I read "Chicken Little". Come on Guys..............

I haven't been on this Forum since before the Os signing. I expected to log on and read all of the excited posts about the great future of the franchise. == I haven't read so much Doom and Gloom since I read "Chicken Little". Come on Guys..............

What doom and gloom?

Most people are guardedly excited!

As far as I can tell, one guy is down on the signing and everybody else is debating with him over it.

Not only he is down about the signing. He down about the entire Texans organization because they don't operate the way he wants them too.

He should become a packers fan.......

What happens if Christian Hackenberg or Cardale Jones are still on the board when the Houston Texans come up to pick in the fourth round? Do you snag one to groom as a backup quarterback right now? The fourth round would be the perfect time to draft a quarterback for the situation we are in right now. Not really looking for a starter but just a really good backup.

Or is Tom Savage, that much better at this point, he's been in this Bill O'Brien system a couple years now, that you have faith in him being our primary quarterback depth moving forward?

The problem with Savage is simply the unknown. He's never been healthy long enough to show what he can do in the pros. But for a former fourth-round pick himself, now entering his third NFL season, Savage was a good gamble for us.

I would have to strongly consider using another fourth-round pick on a quarterback in this upcoming draft. Our depth at quarterback still scares me.

At this point, I doubt we're seriously banking on Brian Hoyer and Tom Savage are we? I have more faith in Brandon Weeden and T.J. Yates (if his ACL is good now) being better backup quarterbacks.

The more I think about, it's a no brainer to me.
We better draft a quarterback in the fourth round!!!!
Having a good quality backup quarterback is important.

Reactions: ROO
What happens if Christian Hackenberg or Cardale Jones are still on the board when the Houston Texans come up to pick in the fourth round? Do you snag one to groom as a backup quarterback right now? The fourth round would be the perfect time to draft a quarterback for the situation we are in right now. Not really looking for a starter but just a really good backup.

Or is Tom Savage, that much better at this point, he's been in this Bill O'Brien system a couple years now, that you have faith in him being our primary quarterback depth moving forward?

The problem with Savage is simply the unknown. He's never been healthy long enough to show what he can do in the pros. But for a former fourth-round pick himself, now entering his third NFL season, Savage was a good gamble for us.

I would have to strongly consider using another fourth-round pick on a quarterback in this upcoming draft. Our depth at quarterback still scares me.

At this point, I doubt we're seriously banking on Brian Hoyer and Tom Savage are we? I have more faith in Brandon Weeden and T.J. Yates (if his ACL is good now) being better backup quarterbacks.

The more I think about, it's a no brainer to me.
We better draft a quarterback in the fourth round!!!!
Having a good quality backup quarterback is important.
I think that is entirely dependent on what OB and Smith think of Savage. Personally, I think they've currently got two back up QBs on the roster and have a lot more holes to fill. Are Jones or Hackenberg that much of an upgrade over either Savage or Hoyer? If they trade Hoyer, then drafting somebody becomes more of a need, but until then, I'd be fine with them filling other needs. They can always pick up a street guy. They've done it plenty of times before.

I think that is entirely dependent on what OB and Smith think of Savage. Personally, I think they've currently got two back up QBs on the roster and have a lot more holes to fill. Are Jones or Hackenberg that much of an upgrade over either Savage or Hoyer? If they trade Hoyer, then drafting somebody becomes more of a need, but until then, I'd be fine with them filling other needs. They can always pick up a street guy. They've done it plenty of times before.

Street guy is an upgrade over Hoyer

OB has shown no confidence whatsoever in Savage so I'm not very optimistic about his chances of being the #2.

I think it's very possible that Hoyer could still be on the roster next season as the backup. It's definitely not what I would do but I could see it happening.

It doesn't appear that they are going to need his $5M for anything so the Texans might be perfectly content to keep him if there is no trade market for his services.

Personally, I'd bring back Weeden for cheap on a two year deal and cut Hoyer. And that might be in the cards. Perhaps Weeden wants to see if there will be better opportunities available to him before he decides to re-sign.

I know everybody wants Hoyer gone yesterday. But I think even if it happens it's going to be closer to preseason.

I know everybody wants Hoyer gone yesterday. But I think even if it happens it's going to be closer to preseason.
That's exactly how I see it. Unless somebody knocks their socks off with an offer, I think they'll wait until somebody gets hurt in preseason and teams are desperate. If they don't get the offer they want, I think he's on the roster as the #2 week one. I don't think they will cut him.

As a backup, NOT a "backup in training", Hoyer is OK as a placeholder and insurance until something better comes along.

Word is that Rick Smith is trying to move Hoyer like he did Schaub and Fitzy.

So far the response from other GMs has been....
:cricket::cricket::cricket:

Word is that Rick Smith is trying to move Hoyer like he did Schaub and Fitzy.

So far the response from other GMs has been....
:cricket::cricket::cricket:

I would've rather cut Hoyer earlier and used that 5 mil plus some of the remaining cap space to sign L. Green in FA.

Directly related football stuff with O'Brien

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ule-changes/38Oh9Y5eMuDFR3sqF4FwnO/story.html

The purpose is to give the players some downtime to let their bodies recover and prevent coaches from demanding year-round participation. But giving players as much as three months away from football is not a good way to develop young players.

Texans coach Bill O’Brien, for example, can’t even give new quarterback Brock Osweiler his playbook for another three weeks.

“When I first started, nine or 10 years ago, in the league we had quarterback school,” O’Brien said at the owners meetings. “I was quality control, I was working withJosh McDaniels at the Patriots. Here came [Tom]Brady and [Matt] Cassel, we had Vinny Testaverde, we had Matt Gutierrez. We had some good guys there and they would come back and we would have quarterback school. We don’t even do that anymore. Why not? Why can’t at least the quarterbacks come back a little bit early so we can start teaching them?”

there is good general football stuff beyond the Texans

As Ben Volin of the Boston Globe writes, “This move has owner Bob McNair’s signature all over it, and you have to wonder how comfortable O’Brien is with his owner making football decisions.”

And as PFT points out that is simply ignorance of the new paradigm:

The fact that O’Brien didn’t actually meet Osweiler before the Texans made Osweiler a very rich man doesn’t mean O’Brien failed to do his job, or that McNair usurped the coach’s authority. It means that O’Brien was simply operating within the confines of a free-agency system that premises leaps of faith on the exchange of large sums of cash.

Link

I would've rather cut Hoyer earlier and used that 5 mil plus some of the remaining cap space to sign L. Green in FA.

I think Green is going to be a very good player. But OB needs to prove he can make a TE part of the offense before we go spending that kind of money on one.

Or in other words another typical McNair panic and a rush to judgement to buy the hype. Got It!
You're making some rather large leaps of logic considering the fact that OB can't talk to Os due to the CBA and that OB has lavished praise on Os and said he's been on the Texans radar for sometime now.

I get that you don't like the signing and you'd rather give away a lot of draft picks for "your guy", but since that's obviously not happening why can't you get behind the new signal caller for the team you claim to root for?

Remember those stats we were tossing around a month or so ago, showing the likelihood of winning a Super Bowl based on where a QB was drafted?

Where do you think a 2nd rounder not with the team that drafted him would shake out?

It hasn't happened very often but if we're comparing it only to instances when teams gave up multiple relatively high future picks to move up into the top 5/10 to get "their" qb of the future, then the odds are actually better for you if you get that 2nd-3rd round guy from another team with potential & work with him....We've seen tons of teams fail at it but Favre & Brees have proven that you can do it with the right circumstances...If you include guys that were taken after that like Warner, Young (supplemental '84) and a few others, there's at least precendent for it being done.

Meanwhile, the failure rates of teams who gave up tons of draft capital to move up and get the Ryan Leafs, RG3's, Tebow's & Gabbert's over the years have all combined for a 100% failure rate.

I think Green is going to be a very good player. But OB needs to prove he can make a TE part of the offense before we go spending that kind of money on one.

How can anything be proven with the current group of Texans TE's?

If they were avg I would be happy.

How can anything be proven with the current group of Texans TE's?

If they were avg I would be happy.

C'mon. We've had Graham the whole time (at OB's decision). He had 545 yds with Kubiak playing part time. That's more than all TEs combined in either of the last 2 years. His play has been steadily reduced down to benched in favor of of Fido and Griffin who OB presumably prefers. They have largely been in protection or extremely late starting, extremely shallow routes. No creative routes with TEs running free 25 yds downfield. We have not seen anything in OB's TE game to say the failure is not his rather than the TEs.

This post is for the day that we come back and revisit this and we will, I've watched more Wentz games, plays and throws than O'Brien has watched Osweiller games, plays and throws.

You know what man, that's fine. I respect your draft insight. If Oz works out for the Texans, it's great for us fans. If it doesn't in 2 years, okay so what we move on.

At this point, the signing is already a done. The Texans aren't trading up for your love. So if you want to sit here and hope that the Texans fall flat on their faces so that you can beat your chest and say that you are right. You minus well just go sell your Texans gear, stop following the Texans. Go buy yourself a Carson Wentz jersey and become a fan of the team he is on.

Otherwise, get over it man and just hope that it does work out because you are wasting electricity and bytes displaying your butthurt. Sorry man, had to.

C'mon. We've had Graham the whole time (at OB's decision). He had 545 yds with Kubiak playing part time. That's more than all TEs combined in either of the last 2 years. His play has been steadily reduced down to benched in favor of of Fido and Griffin who OB presumably prefers. They have largely been in protection or extremely late starting, extremely shallow routes. No creative routes with TEs running free 25 yds downfield. We have not seen anything in OB's TE game to say the failure is not his rather than the TEs.

Other than OD this team has never had a serviceable TE in there existence. (Unless you count Billy Miller.) Griffin is the best of a bad lot. Bad thing is it usually takes a rookie TE a couple of yrs to become an above avg weapon, which is why I wanted L.Green.

I'm hoping Vernon Davis price drops and they pick him up. He can atleast be serviceable. (Best TE on the roster)

I think it's too hard to judge our TEs, WRs, even OL with a boat anchor under center.

I understand feeling the need to upgrade. Fido is not Gronk.

But we need a third TE anyway.

Other than OD this team has never had a serviceable TE in there existence. (Unless you count Billy Miller.) Griffin is the best of a bad lot. Bad thing is it usually takes a rookie TE a couple of yrs to become an above avg weapon, which is why I wanted L.Green.

I'm hoping Vernon Davis price drops and they pick him up. He can atleast be serviceable. (Best TE on the roster)

So Graham who had 545 yds wasn't serviceable but Davis who had 640 yds over the last 2 seasons would be (while on his 3rd team in that span)?

So Graham who had 545 yds wasn't serviceable but Davis who had 640 yds over the last 2 seasons would be (while on his 3rd team in that span)?

Graham drops too many balls. I'm not saying Davis is what he once was, but he would be better than any TE on the roster right now. IMHO Which is sad.

Graham had 2 drops on 89 targets in 2013. Vernon Davis by the way had 4 drops on 84 targets that year.

Last yr Graham had more drops than that in one game that I watched. Are you actually saying Graham was a good TE last yr. If so, we will never agree and I just need to move on to another discussion.

There's a reason Graham got cut. BTW, can you imagine a TE like Gronk/Olsen/Graham etc... that can stretch the middle of the field?

I would rather have another WR for this season than go after another TE. I was never a fan of TEs until OD came here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back