Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brian Gaine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's way higher than he was expected to go. Better argument is we should have traded up some from our 3rd.

I think for QBs you subtract a round from where you think they might go because all it takes is on team getting a warm fuzzy . I wonder if they did the same thing with Teddy Bridgewater or maybe he wasn't on their radar .

I think for QBs you subtract a round from where you think they might go because all it takes is on team getting a warm fuzzy . I wonder if they did the same thing with Teddy Bridgewater or maybe he wasn't on their radar .

Don't agree with a full round at all. The draft gurus take into account the position already. Don't mind a jump up to surprise folks who may be hoping to surprise you.

In any event, this is all goofy hindsight. JG comes to Houston and he would have started very quickly with OBwan as coach. Instead he sat for most of 3.5 years and two SBs with Belichick & Brady. It is only wishful thinking of him being the same if we got him.

Don't agree with a full round at all. The draft gurus take into account the position already. Don't mind a jump up to surprise folks who may be hoping to surprise you.

In any event, this is all goofy hindsight. JG comes to Houston and he would have started very quickly with OBwan as coach. Instead he sat for most of 3.5 years and two SBs with Belichick & Brady. It is only wishful thinking of him being the same if we got him.

It's all speculation but if you take overvalued and mix that with percentage of bust at any position then if you like him take him early . In other words XFS and his woes amplifies the JimmyG pick or lack of .

It's all speculation but if you take overvalued and mix that with percentage of bust at any position then if you like him take him early . In other words XFS and his woes amplifies the JimmyG pick or lack of .

yes, but coming out XFS was a surer thing than Jimmy G. BUT Jimmy G at a much higher position of need. It didn't help that X was moved all over the place and didn't love football enough. They should have moved up from their 3rd to at least mid 2nd

yes, but coming out XFS was a surer thing than Jimmy G. BUT Jimmy G at a much higher position of need. It didn't help that X was moved all over the place and didn't love football enough. They should have moved up from their 3rd to at least mid 2nd

Then we would have never gotten CJ Fed .... never mind .

Reactions: JB
Yeah, I'm just glad that it led to a soft pillow to land on..

Russell Wilson was really the only QB we missed out on during that huge fiasco, but then again..so did everyone else.

Other than that, the only QB we truly passed on was Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater.. well we let Case Keenum go too, but I'm okay with that.

I think the biggest blunder was not drafting Derek Carr at 33.....instead, he went 36 to the Raiders and the Texans enjoyed the failed services of Su'a-Filo. RD3 didn't go much better with Fiedorowicz and that other failed pick...can't remember his name. If Carr had been the pick, the Texans would've had 4 more draft coming to the end of his rookie contract and with the QB position taken care of, it might've changed the direction of everything.

I think the biggest blunder was not drafting Derek Carr at 33.....instead, he went 36 to the Raiders and the Texans enjoyed the failed services of Su'a-Filo. RD3 didn't go much better with Fiedorowicz and that other failed pick...can't remember his name. If Carr had been the pick, the Texans would've had 4 more draft coming to the end of his rookie contract and with the QB position taken care of, it might've changed the direction of everything.

Jimmy G's better than Carr. IMHO

If Watson stays healthy and has a big yr, do you think some of the Kubiak nuthuggers will give BOB any credit.

I'm betting the under.

Watson was better than both for 6.5 games last season. I need to see more from all 3 before making a semi-educated guess. As of now, I rank them DW4, Jimmy G and Carr last.

We..sorry I, am confident that this organization was in no way going to draft Derek Carr, because of the soap opera with his brother and the entire family. I understand this is not bottom line business and dysfunctional to a large extent, but how many people marry the younger sister of their ex-wife after a nasty divorce that involved their entire family. None of this is really hard to understand, even if you disagree with the organization's "reasoning"

Watson was better than both for 6.5 games last season. I need to see more from all 3 before making a semi-educated guess. As of now, I rank them DW4, Jimmy G and Carr last.

There is a good chance you are correct, but Carr is the most accomplished of the three as we speak (type)...i,e multiple seasons of average to good NFL QBing including one where he lead his team to the playoffs

There is a good chance you are correct, but Carr is the most accomplished of the three as we speak (type)...i,e multiple seasons of average to good NFL QBing including one where he lead his team to the playoffs
That's a valid point.
...however, if you believe in that thing the talking heads refer to as "upside" (I'm not sure it's a measurable thing myself) then Watson, at this point, seems to have the most of whatever "upside" is.

All three seem to be potentially more productive than anything O'Brien/Smith/Gaine/McNair (pick your own responsible villian/hero) has put under center in prior seasons.

I'm really eager to see how all three of their stories play out.

Here's hoping we struck gold with Watson.
:koolaid: :texflag:

That's a valid point.
...however, if you believe in that thing the talking heads refer to as "upside" (I'm not sure it's a measurable thing myself) then Watson, at this point, seems to have the most of whatever "upside" is.

All three seem to be potentially more productive than anything O'Brien/Smith/Gaine/McNair (pick your own responsible villian/hero) has put under center in prior seasons.

I'm really eager to see how all three of their stories play out.

Here's hoping we struck gold with Watson.
:koolaid: :texflag:

I expect we at the very least struck silver with DW. I suspect he goes into the season run in and gunnin. Looking forward to the show!!!

That's very true, but it also appears that Carr has the lower ceiling of the three. Carr reminds me of Prescott, in that he looks amazing when his supporting cast is clicking and not so much when everything is less than perfect. I say this exactly because I've had more NFL games to watch Carr play in. The jury is still out on all three, but I'm happy DW4 is a Texan.

I expect we at the very least struck silver with DW. I suspect he goes into the season run in and gunnin. Looking forward to the show!!!
I'm right there with you, excited bout the season finally starting and really looking foward to seeing Watson and his teammates in action.

I was only referencing, if we could redo the 2014 NFL Draft. Watson was awesome during in his brief appearance last season.

Can you elaborate? I think I agree, assuming you’re talking about the McNairs trotting out that joke of a GM for as long as they did, blaming everyone else but him along the way.
Mainly referring to the fact that since O'Brien now has "his guy" as the GM, he's out of other people to blame.

I don’t think Jimmy G would be the player he is now had we drafted him.

Teddy is coming of a bad injury.

And Carr was never happening.

Spilt milk.

I will gladly take it if DW can stay healthy and play like he did last year.

We..sorry I, am confident that this organization was in no way going to draft Derek Carr, because of the soap opera with his brother and the entire family. I understand this is not bottom line business and dysfunctional to a large extent, but how many people marry the younger sister of their ex-wife after a nasty divorce that involved their entire family. None of this is really hard to understand, even if you disagree with the organization's "reasoning"

Yep, that's why I left him off my list..

No way in hell were we ever going to draft that guy, he simply wasn't a option. I still remember talking to him on this this board.. was it Hulk75 or was that the other brother? Either way I don't trust that bloodline.. they are the broke ass Manning's and I'd rather hook my line with a winner and a gym rat who has the will to battle back from two torn ACLs.. I don't know what "It" is, but Deshaun Watson has "IT"!

Last edited:
It would be nice if BOB's guy has a full set of draft picks to work with.

They have plenty to work with. Let's not act as if late rounders doesn't blossom in the NFL. Let's not act like we haven't seen late round sleepers. Let's not act like we haven't seen plenty of 1st to 3rd rounders bust. The draft is nothing but a gamble. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

All one can hope is we have a few late round sleepers. And Steel some of them have the potential.

They have plenty to work with. Let's not act as if late rounders doesn't blossom in the NFL. Let's not act like we haven't seen late round sleepers. Let's not act like we haven't seen plenty of 1st to 3rd rounders bust. The draft is nothing but a gamble. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

All one can hope is we have a few late round sleepers. And Steel some of them have the potential.

Give me a chance on 1st/2nd rd picks. Even Ricky was good in the 1st rd. Something Gaine hasn't yet had a chance to do. You can find talented guys later in the draft, but there usually have some types of bad warts. For instance (Jake Butt) or from the drug bad people side. (Justin Houston/Tyreke Hill.)

Very few guys like Foster do you get late in the draft/UDFA.

the 1st rounder wasn't already there in the form of Watson.

The only thing Gaine missed out on was a 2nd and he had an extra 3rd.

I didn't see the Texans draft in the 1st rd.

Y'all are already setting this up as if the Texans dont do well this yr it's Gaine/BOB's fault even though they were the only team not to have 1st/2nd rd picks in the entire NFL, due to Ricky's shenanigans

I didn't see the Texans draft in the 1st rd.

Yes you did, last year when Watson was selected you saw this year's 1st round selection made.

Y'all are already setting this up as if the Texans dont do well this yr it's Gaine/BOB's fault even though they were the only team not to have 1st/2nd rd picks in the entire NFL, due to Ricky's shenanigans

Watson is not a shenanigan. I'm not setting up anything. Gaine didn't get a 2nd, boohoo he had an extra 3rd. He also didn't come into the typical new GM position of needing a QB. His 1st round pick QB was already on the roster. Nobody is going to judge Gaine after one year anyway. Stop defending him at every turn. He didn't spend on OL like you wanted.

OB is on his 5th year so he can fairly be judged. Won't matter since there's no way he is fired unless he has 5 or less wins.

Yes you did, last year when Watson was selected you saw this year's 1st round selection made.

Watson is not a shenanigan. I'm not setting up anything. Gaine didn't get a 2nd, boohoo he had an extra 3rd. He also didn't come into the typical new GM position of needing a QB. His 1st round pick QB was already on the roster. Nobody is going to judge Gaine after one year anyway. Stop defending him at every turn. He didn't spend on OL like you wanted.

OB is on his 5th year so he can fairly be judged. Won't matter since there's no way he is fired unless he has 5 or less wins.

I'm not defending Gaine, but I want to see what he does with a full compliment of draft picks. I didn't really like what he did with the OL, so obviously I'm not defending him at every turn. Regardless of how you are trying to twist things around. (Again)

I'm also willing to see if Watson can stay healthy for a full yr and let Gaine have a full draft class before I even start to judge BOB. Especially after the circus that was Ricky/BOB.

I'm not defending Gaine, but I want to see what he does with a full compliment of draft picks. I didn't really like what he did with the OL, so obviously I'm not defending him at every turn. Regardless of how you are trying to twist things around. (Again)

I'm also willing to see if Watson can stay healthy for a full yr and let Gaine have a full draft class before I even start to judge BOB. Especially after the circus that was Ricky/BOB.

1024x1024.jpg

All right you two!!!

Why are you waiting so long to judge BOB. He's been here long enough for evaluation.

Unfortunately RS didn't get that memo. His late round track record pretty much explains the current mess. Sure, we have high hopes but the depth chart is looking pretty weak. Really hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately RS didn't get that memo. His late round track record pretty much explains the current mess. Sure, we have high hopes but the depth chart is looking pretty weak. Really hope I'm wrong.

Brother it's up to the coaches to coach them up. Not only that but it was not only RS picks. They all talked about who they wanted and that's who they drafted. We all should know or have an idea to how things works by now.

Last edited:
2 more yrs.

Next yr to get HIS team in place and another yr to see how it produces.

I believe although BOB's been here 5 yrs, Ricky has spent the last couple of yrs trying to sabotage BOB. Simply put they are oil/Water.

They both were sabotaging each other. Come on man. I am so surprised so many of yall are only pinning that hot mess only on Rick. Rick wasn't the one benching QB after qb in which were his hand picked goons. Rick wasn't the one running Miller up the freaking gut in games in which we should've won. Rick wasn't the one that tossed Savage garbage ash out there. Knowing darn well he wasn't nowhere close to starters material.

Lets be all the way real and put blame on both.

Brother it's up the coaches to coach them up. Not only that but it was not RS picks. They all talked about who they wanted and that's who they drafted. We all should know or have an idea to how things works by now.

Crap is crap,

You could just call BOB a liar and save the words.

Problem is not everybody on the MB thinks BOB was lying.

Ricky picked the guys and BOB coached them. (His words) Now if you want to say he didn't coach them well enough that's a fair opinion. But turning Blue/Hal/Breno/Clark into above avg player is a pipe dream. IMHO

Or you have a much higher opinion of Ricky's draft history than I do. Before you respond, go back and look at his draft picks and tell me that's how you're supposed to build a winning franchise.

I think it's best if we go back to not responding to each other because we are never going to agree.

Fact is under Ricky with both Kubiak/BOB the Texans had 6-10, 2-14 (Kubiak) and 4-12 (BOB) so it was past time to get rid of his incompetent ass. Lets hope Gaine does better and move on.

The fact that BOB is here and handpicked the new GM should tell you everything you need to know about how McNair viewed what as wrong with HIS franchise.

BTW, has the Texans org put out any info on how Ricky's wife is doing?

Bet you haven't and that should tell you something too, but it wont.

Last edited:
Crap is crap,

You could just call BOB a liar and save the words.

Problem is not everybody on the MB thinks BOB was lying.

You're accusing all of them, including OB, of lying so don't get on some high horse.

BTW, has the Texans org put out any info on how Ricky's wife is doing?

Bet you haven't and that should tell you something too, but it wont.

You're just sad sometimes.

You're accusing all of them, including OB, of lying so don't get on some high horse.

You're just sad sometimes.

I'm just telling you what BOB said, you're going to believe what you want.

Yes it is sad that an org that cares so deeply doesn't ever provide updates.

I'm just telling you what BOB said, you're going to believe what you want.

No you are saying what he said one time as opposed to the half dozen times he said they work together. You choose to ignore or call him a liar about those because they don't fit your agenda.

No you are saying what he said one time as opposed to the half dozen times he said they work together. You choose to ignore or call him a liar about those because they don't fit your agenda.

You know all, I'm done with this.

I notice you didn't reply to the other part of my post.

What's false?

Have they given an update?

You know, like the caring org they claimed to be at that PC?

Wow. I didn't know Smith's wife played football and fans needed an update on her condition. I guess you never heard of HIPAA.

O'Brien's son suffers from a rare neurological disorder (Lissencephaly) are you or anyone else interested in an update? Especially since O'Brien is still HC?

Wow. I didn't know Smith's wife played football and fans needed an update on her condition. I guess you never heard of HIPAA.

O'Brien's son suffers from a rare neurological disorder (Lissencephaly) are you or anyone else interested in an update? Especially since O'Brien is still HC?

As a matter of fact I am.

Reactions: JB
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back