Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brian Gaine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texans have hired C.J. Leak as assistant director of pro scouting. He spent the past 2 years with the Saints, and the 8 years prior to that with the Bills.

“The Florida QB before Tebow”. Probably his best football achievement was winning offensive MVP in the 2007 BCS National Championship for the University of Florida. Really fun seeing where these guys have ended up after their playing days. Hopefully he is a huge upgrade!

Funny!!! I always wished Dave had gone to HBO when Comedy Channel screwed him over instead of disappearing. I think we should find a way to make Dave an honesty Astros fan. Go Stros!!!

He did duck out of a multi million dollar contract with them and just left them hanging after he said that the stress of coming up with new material caused him to have a mental breakdown. Just saying.

That's probably why they started the Carlos Mencia show, lol...they didn't have to worry about him snapping, because he didn't have to come up with any material at all.

He did duck out of a multi million dollar contract with them and just left them hanging after he said that the stress of coming up with new material caused him to have a mental breakdown. Just saying.

That's probably why they started the Carlos Mencia show, lol...they didn't have to worry about him snapping, because he didn't have to come up with any material at all.

I thought the whole bailout was over Comedy Central wanting more say in his material.

“The Florida QB before Tebow”. Probably his best football achievement was winning offensive MVP in the 2007 BCS National Championship for the University of Florida. Really fun seeing where these guys have ended up after their playing days. Hopefully he is a huge upgrade!

Wait.. Isn't that Chris Leak?

I thought CJ Leak was from Wake Forest?

Texans PR‏Verified account@TexansPR 16m16 minutes ago

The @HoustonTexans today announced their 2018 personnel staff.

Dc7HoklUwAA5DSO.jpg

Texans' Brian Gaine, Bill O'Brien more in sync than ever
By John McClain, Houston Chronicle

Already good friends from a previous stint working together, Brian Gaine (left) and Bill O'Brien have grown closer since Gaine rejoined the Texans as their general manager.
For more than four months, general manager Brian Gaine and coach Bill O'Brien spent more time together than they spent with their wives.

After Gaine was hired in January, he worked overtime with O'Brien on evaluating the Texans' roster and preparing for free agency and the draft.
When he worked for former general manager Rick Smith for three years, Gaine and O'Brien became close friends. They had collaborated on four drafts and free-agent periods when Gaine left in June 2017 for Buffalo, where he spent seven months before returning to NRG Stadium.

When Gaine was hired as general manager, O'Brien was effusive in his praise. Now that they've been together for more than five months in Gaine's new role, their relationship is even stronger, personally as well as professionally.
"It's a little different role than what I had before I came back here," Gaine said about being general manager compared to personnel director. "The role I'm in with Bill now has been a great partnership. We're both excited about the opportunity we have because we're philosophically aligned as to how we want to build a roster and a football culture.

"We're both great competitors, but because we're philosophically aligned, that's going to lead to positive (results)."

The Rest Of The Story

Texans' Brian Gaine, Bill O'Brien more in sync than ever
By John McClain, Houston Chronicle

Already good friends from a previous stint working together, Brian Gaine (left) and Bill O'Brien have grown closer since Gaine rejoined the Texans as their general manager.
For more than four months, general manager Brian Gaine and coach Bill O'Brien spent more time together than they spent with their wives.

After Gaine was hired in January, he worked overtime with O'Brien on evaluating the Texans' roster and preparing for free agency and the draft.
When he worked for former general manager Rick Smith for three years, Gaine and O'Brien became close friends. They had collaborated on four drafts and free-agent periods when Gaine left in June 2017 for Buffalo, where he spent seven months before returning to NRG Stadium.

When Gaine was hired as general manager, O'Brien was effusive in his praise. Now that they've been together for more than five months in Gaine's new role, their relationship is even stronger, personally as well as professionally.
"It's a little different role than what I had before I came back here," Gaine said about being general manager compared to personnel director. "The role I'm in with Bill now has been a great partnership. We're both excited about the opportunity we have because we're philosophically aligned as to how we want to build a roster and a football culture.

"We're both great competitors, but because we're philosophically aligned, that's going to lead to positive (results)."

The Rest Of The Story
Really good to know!

MY GOD!.. He sounds just like Bill! No wonder these guys get along so well and are so compatible. They might as well be freaking brothers! (Seriously, close your eyes when you listen to the video, you will start to think you're listening to Bill talk).

Say what you will about Bill, but he should've had his type of G.M. from the beginning and I hope it pays off out on the field. No way in hell Rick Smith should've been allowed to survive the same ax that fell on Kubiak's head. Bill and Rick just always looked extremely uncomfortable/never on the same page with eachother..you could just look at them and tell that they genuinely HATED eachother! Lol. Definitely no love lost there. :)

MY GOD!.. He sounds just like Bill! No wonder these guys get along so well and are so compatible. They might as well be freaking brothers! (Seriously, close your eyes when you listen to the video, you will start to think you're listening to Bill talk).

Say what you will about Bill, but he should've had his type of G.M. from the beginning and I hope it pays off out on the field. No way in hell Rick Smith should've been allowed to survive the same ax that fell on Kubiak's head. Bill and Rick just always looked extremely uncomfortable/never on the same page with eachother..you could just look at them and tell that they genuinely HATED eachother! Lol. Definitely no love lost there. :)

Hopefully it works out for sure. Even though in my honest opinion the vision was written way before the hire. Some of the plan was already put in place.

Hopefully it works out for sure. Even though in my honest opinion the vision was written way before the hire. Some of the plan was already put in place.

Getting faster on the offense. The 2016 draft they stuck to their plan on both sides of the football. #speed

You can have a plan, but you can't execute it effectively if you're arguing all the time. Between the closed door meetings with McNair, the little comments that we'd hear from O'Brien press interviews, the body language (or distance) between the two, and the rumors that we heard about... if the saying "where there's smoke, there's fire" is true, then there was a damn forrest fire raging down on Kirby Dr.

Now throw in the fact that Brian Gaine (who was a part of the 2016 plan to "get faster") decided to move across the country for a lateral career move after that season came running back here the second Rick Smith was gone, it only highlights the disconnect and problems that must've been going on between Bill and Rick.

Last edited:
You can have a plan, but you can't execute it effectively if you're arguing all the time. Between the closed door meetings with McNair, the little comments that we'd hear from O'Brien press interviews, the body language (or distance) between the two, and the rumors that we heard about... if the saying "where there's smoke, there's fire" is true, then there was a damn forrest fire raging down on Kirby Dr.

Now throw in the fact that Brian Gaine (who has a part of the 2016 plan to "get faster") decided to leave across the country for a lateral career move after that season came running back here the second Rick Smith was gone and it only highlights the disconnect and problems that must've been going on between the Bill and Rick.

My point is they stuck to the board in which was to get faster in the skilled position on offense. They followed that up with getting their franchise QB.

Rick is still apart of this organization. He's not gone anywhere. And yes its always good for all parties to getting along. But Obrien with his slick self shouldn't be let off the hook. He caused a lot of the BS as well. Especially with the benching Mallett and the Hoyer and Fitzpatrick. All players he wanted since they played for the Patriots. This IMO is where it all started.

Now throw in the fact that Brian Gaine (who was a part of the 2016 plan to "get faster") decided to move across the country for a lateral career move after that season came running back here the second Rick Smith was gone, it only highlights the disconnect and problems that must've been going on between Bill and Rick.

My point is they stuck to the board in which was to get faster in the skilled position on offense. They followed that up with getting their franchise QB.

Rick is still apart of this organization. He's not gone anywhere. And yes its always good for all parties to getting along. But Obrien with his slick self shouldn't be let off the hook. He caused a lot of the BS as well. Especially with the benching Mallett and the Hoyer and Fitzpatrick. All players he wanted since they played for the Patriots. This IMO is where it all started.

I think it's a bit of both. O'Brien has made some plainly dumb mistakes, most especially with playcalling and personnel.
Slick Rick wasn't doing him any favors with his penchant for sub-par FA replacements.
It was obvious that O'Brien and Smith weren't exactly chummy.
The fact that O'Brien and Gaine seem to get along swimmingly only means that the Texans' FO excuses have run out.

Well we should've moved on from those QBs. And wasn't it McNair who said earlier on that we were built to win in spite of a franchise QB? They thought that they could go cheap with the most important position in sports instead of drafting a QB high in the draft so given that dumbass philosophy, it made sense at the time to bring in QBs who already knew the system. They just couldn't play worth a damn.

The fact that O'Brien and Gaine seem to get along swimmingly only means that the Texans' FO excuses have run out.
Can you elaborate? I think I agree, assuming you’re talking about the McNairs trotting out that joke of a GM for as long as they did, blaming everyone else but him along the way.

Well we should've moved on from those QBs. And wasn't it McNair who said earlier on that we were built to win in spite of a franchise QB? They thought that they could go cheap with the most important position in sports instead of drafting a QB high in the draft so given that dumbass philosophy, it made sense at the time to bring in QBs who already knew the system. They just couldn't play worth a damn.

Agreed but those are the coaches hand picked QBs. Obrien didn't want any of those QB'S in the draft. But they did go away from those QB'S and took a gamble on that trash per the owners request

Agreed but those are the coaches hand picked QBs. Obrien didn't want any of those QB'S in the draft. But they did go away from those QB'S and took a gamble on that trash per the owners request

Yeah, I'm just glad that it led to a soft pillow to land on..

Russell Wilson was really the only QB we missed out on during that huge fiasco, but then again..so did everyone else.

Other than that, the only QB we truly passed on was Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater.. well we let Case Keenum go too, but I'm okay with that.

I call this Cak denial syndrome.

Yeah, I'm just glad that it led to a soft pillow to land on..

Russell Wilson was really the only QB we missed out on during that huge fiasco, but then again..so did everyone else.

Other than that, the only QB we truly passed on was Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater.. well we let Case Keenum go too, but I'm okay with that.

Jimmy G,

Who it's been reported that BOB wanted instead of XSF.

Past history and time to move on.

Watson has the potential to be a franchise QB I just hope the Texans org going on the cheap to fix the OL doesn't create another Carr/injury situation.

Reactions: JB
Jimmy G,

Watson has the potential to be a franchise QB I just hope the Texans org going on the cheap to fix the OL doesn't create another Carr/injury situation.

I wont say that the Texans could have had Clowney , Jimmy G , and Gabe Watson or Trae Turner . I won't say it .

Jimmy G,

I totally forgot about Garoppolo..yes him too, good call.

So the batte as it's stands going into this year is Watson vs Bortles/Bridgewater/Keenen and Jimmy.

Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back