Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brian Gaine is leaving Houston Texans front office

I am willing to give O'b credit for somehow having enough offense to get us a winning record every year he has been our head coach because I can see how not having the right fit at the Qb position can affect the offense he wants to implement, however I will not give him an unlimitted pass while always blaming the lack of talent at quarterback and not being treated fairly by our head coach and GM. At some point reasons become excuses and as for me I am at that point.

I am sure O'b has had plenty of input on this team during the drafts but I see no reason why he should have his say as much as it seems he would like. O'b was not hired as a GM or co GM and he knew that when he was hired to coach the team. The excuse that he took the job to get his feet in the door and for the pay is BS. He knew his role and accepted it when he took the job. I don't blame our owner or GM for not acquiescing to all of O'b's demands if indeed he made demands that they did not ahere to.

He took the job because McNair told him that he wanted to develop a Pats type org. In reality BOB was sold a bill of goods. Why would any top tier HC want to take the Texans job if he had other opportunities?

And why would one suspect Luck's "health" has been repeatedly deteriorated.................lacerated spleen, rib fracture, shoulder dislocations? Was he clumsy, not able to keep his feet, or just having a love affair with the turf?

He has been exposed to 115 sacks since 2013 when Raye came to the Colts. Luck's sack number of 41 in 2012 was the exact same number that Luck enjoyed last year in 2016.

And as far as the condescending "LOL you have their drafts sucking and steelb had them as great," be assured that on this MB as all others, there will always be opposing opinions. I'd dare say that one could rather easily pick a "couple" conflicting examples involving your posts.

Not saying there line is great but dude holds the ball way too long and takes a bunch of hits ala Big Ben style. Remember when Hasselbeck came in and was doing better than him. Check out this article from PFF https://www.profootballfocus.com/wh...ter-fit-for-colts-right-now-than-andrew-luck/

"Over the season Luck’s average time to throw is 2.67 seconds, which is slower than all but four other quarterbacks. Hasselbeck’s average is just 2.32, faster than all but five others."

"Over the four games Hasselbeck has started, the Colts’ line has a pass-blocking efficiency of 84.0 – the best in the NFL. Over the games Luck has started, the O-line’s PBE is just 74.5, which is 25th. The Colts have surrendered 33 total pressures over the time Hasselbeck has started (8.3 per game), but 111 when Luck has been the quarterback (almost double the rate at 15.9)."

Some of this blame can be on coaching and game planning as well. But the line was much maligned unfairly in some ways.

Last edited:
Not saying there line is great but dude holds the ball way too long and takes a bunch of hits ala Big Ben style. Remember when Hasselbeck came in and was doing better than him. Check out this article from PFF https://www.profootballfocus.com/wh...ter-fit-for-colts-right-now-than-andrew-luck/

"Over the season Luck’s average time to throw is 2.67 seconds, which is slower than all but four other quarterbacks. Hasselbeck’s average is just 2.32, faster than all but five others."

"Over the four games Hasselbeck has started, the Colts’ line has a pass-blocking efficiency of 84.0 – the best in the NFL. Over the games Luck has started, the O-line’s PBE is just 74.5, which is 25th. The Colts have surrendered 33 total pressures over the time Hasselbeck has started (8.3 per game), but 111 when Luck has been the quarterback (almost double the rate at 15.9)."

Some of this blame can be on coaching and game planning as well. But the line was much maligned unfairly in some ways.

That's somewhat disingenious on the part of PFF's comparisons. Hasselbech for the most part has stone feet and mostly goes to short hot reads. Luck for the most part has always liked to go down field, especially to TY Hilton.

You posted 2015 season numbers (a year where he was severely injured in the 3rd game, missed the next 2 games, came back but admittedly playing injured and shot up with pain killers for those 4 games, then finally no longer able to play).

So here are last season's numbers.......ProFootballFocus 2016 Offensive line Rating........rating the Colts OL at 25.

25. Indianapolis Colts (16)
Top overall grade: LT Anthony Castonzo, 84.2 (No. 20)

Top pass-blocking grade: C Ryan Kelly, 83.1 (No. 12)

Top run-blocking grade: LT Anthony Castonzo, 84.1 (No. 9)

The starting five for the Indianapolis Colts was significantly better than any combination they were forced to field that included backups; unfortunately, bench players were called into action for much of the season. LT Anthony Castonzo had a good season, especially as a run blocker, while rookie C Ryan Kelly had a solid first season in the league, and has yet to allow an NFL sack. Jack Mewhort was decent at LG, but he played in just 10 games, and wasn’t the same player after returning from injury in Week 11. Every other lineman the team was forced to use this season struggled to one degree or another, some having the kind of games that can single-handedly wreck an offensive game plan.

More interesting is the detailed breakdown of FOOTBALL OUTSIDER'S 2016 RATINGS OF THE COLTS OL....................3rd in run blocking.............28th in pass blocking.

I know a couple of Colts fans who have almost soured on Andrew Luck. He's got all the ability in the world, a very high football IQ, but they say he gets into "blinders" mode way too often, thinking he has to make a play on every snap.

They believe if he could ever figure out when to take what the defense gives him & when to make a play he'll start racking up rings.

But they wonder if he'll ever figure it out.

He took the job because McNair told him that he wanted to develop a Pats type org. In reality BOB was sold a bill of goods. Why would any top tier HC want to take the Texans job if he had other opportunities?

Which top tier head coaches were offered the Texans job and refused to take it?

I know a couple of Colts fans who have almost soured on Andrew Luck. He's got all the ability in the world, a very high football IQ, but they say he gets into "blinders" mode way too often, thinking he has to make a play on every snap.

They believe if he could ever figure out when to take what the defense gives him & when to make a play he'll start racking up rings.

But they wonder if he'll ever figure it out.

I'll trade them all of our qbs for him.

You know...just to take him off their hands...

Which top tier head coaches were offered the Texans job and refused to take it?

None and that's the point.

Ask yourself why?

Answer my question what top tier HC would want to work for the Texans org. Especially if the rumors about what's been going on in the Texans FO are true?

BTW, Also ask yourself if the Browns passed on Watson as bad as they need a QB how good do you think Watson is? Hue Jackson knows QB's.

Ask yourself why?

Answer my question what top tier HC would want to work for the Texans org. Especially if the rumors about what's been going on in the Texans FO are true?

BTW, Also ask yourself if the Browns passed on Watson as bad as they need a QB how good do you think Watson is? Hue Jackson knows QB's.

First, why do you think Jackson knows QBs?

Second, maybe OB is the cause of the front office issues. I'm no Smith fan, I find him to be mediocre, but OB is a definite red ass.

Ask yourself why?

Second, maybe OB is the cause of the front office issues. I'm no Smith fan, I find him to be mediocre, but OB is a definite red ass.

I think Sashi Brown has told Hue Jackson that when they have a team worthy of a franchise QB then and only then will we draft a franchise QB. Until then we will accumulate draft picks that will allow us to expedite building a team that is worthy of a franchise QB.

I think Sashi Brown has told Hue Jackson that when they have a team worthy of a franchise QB then and only then will we draft a franchise QB. Until then we will accumulate draft picks that will allow us to expedite building a team that is worthy of a franchise QB.

Remind me of the teams that strategy worked out for?

Ask yourself why?

Didn't Hugh Jackson also pass on Goff & Wentz?

Because drafting a franchise QB just at the right moment is so easy?

Ask yourself why?

One hell of an arguement you have going on there.:spin:

:coffee:

I'm pretty sure April 1st has come and gone. You're so desperate to slag the Texans you are looking to the Browns for QB wisdom? Seriously? That's like asking Jenna Jameson about abstinence.

Well the Browns have the Texans 1st/2nd rd picks in a draft that's the deepest since 2014. Even Jenna would realize how bad Ricky McNair got played for a chance at a top 15ish QB at best.

Speaking of abstinence, Ricky should abstain from QB evaluations.

Flacco was ROY

Palmer very solid, could've been great if not for ACL injury.

Dalton got the most out of him.

OB is a hardass, he's a hardworking perfectionist. That's not going to work well with a GM whose 1st and foremost priority is to kiss the McNair's a**. The Texans org needs to be turned over to a hardass be it BOB or another HC/GM. What Ricky McNair has done for the last decade isn't getting it done. Now the fans are going to be subjected to atleast another 5 yrs of middling QB play. Thanks Ricky.

Flacco was ROY

Palmer very solid, could've been great if not for ACL injury.

Dalton got the most out of him.

OB is a hardass, he's a hardworking perfectionist. That's not going to work well with a GM whose 1st and foremost priority is to kiss the McNair's a**. The Texans org needs to be turned over to a hardass be it BOB or another HC/GM. What Ricky McNair has done for the last decade isn't getting it done. Now the fans are going to be subjected to atleast another 5 yrs of middling QB play. Thanks Ricky.

I like OB but I'm wondering if he's not a bit more to blame in for our current state then I originally thought. He comes across as an arrogant SOB, and perhaps he's causing some of his own problems

As I said I'm not a Smith fan, but saying we are going to be stuck with middling QB play is a bit of a stretch. No one knows how Watson will turn out. I can guarantee you no one thought Wilson was going to be a SB QB, no one thought Dan would do what he did last year. Let's give the kid a shot before we go all doom and gloom.

I don't know if you've ever coached a sport in the past, but I've coached at the collegiate level (not FB) and I can tell you the toughest thing to find is players that perform well in the clutch. I can teach an athlete sport skills, and I can make them stronger, faster, throw with more velocity etc.. but teaching someone how to be clutch is REALLY tough if not impossible.

So still no list. Just a jackass attempt at distraction.

keep-calm-and-go-cal-bears.png

Don't own any brown shirts but thanks for the fashion advice. If your allusion had any merit your ass would have been gone long ago. So please, play pathetic on the open stage some more. Go for it. The comedic quality (not by your design) is what has kept you around.

So still no list. Just a jackass attempt at distraction.

keep-calm-and-go-cal-bears.png

Don't own any brown shirts but thanks for the fashion advice. If your allusion had any merit your ass would have been gone long ago. So please, play pathetic on the open stage some more. Go for it. The comedic quality (not by your design) is what has kept you around.

I don't recall making a statement FOR or AGAINST any of your Lists. Your doing not mine.

So you don't know about the Brown Shirts. They are so apropos and fit Berkeley so well.

Your bullying and insults have jsut about destroyed this board. You certainly have run off more people than you attract.

Keep Calm and Censor On!

I'd say the Seahawks & The Joe Flacco Ravens fit the bill.

I know the Patriots had built around Bledsoe, but Brady was added to that team... kinda fits.

I understand it hasn't happened a lot, but when the QB pick'ns are slim, I think it just makes sense to build the best team you can, then take a shot on a Watson or Bortles. That said, I think this team has been past that point for a long time...

I'd say the Seahawks & The Joe Flacco Ravens fit the bill.

I know the Patriots had built around Bledsoe, but Brady was added to that team... kinda fits.

I understand it hasn't happened a lot, but when the QB pick'ns are slim, I think it just makes sense to build the best team you can, then take a shot on a Watson or Bortles. That said, I think this team has been past that point for a long time...

The Seahawks are the best thing I can think of and they didn't intend Wilson to be the QB. The Ravens were desperate for QB period.

The Seahawks are the best thing I can think of and they didn't intend Wilson to be the QB. The Ravens were desperate for QB period.

True. The Seahawks "thought" Flynn was their guy. The team was built, then they went & got a QB... they got two.

The Ravens also had a good team, then they added a QB, several times.

You mentioned Luck & someone else mentioned RGIII in another thread. Mariota & Winston... If you have an opportunity to get a guy like that, I agree, you don't pass. Draft them, build around them. But if we're looking at Bortleses & Ponders... I'd much rather take a blue chip at another position & work with Kevin Kolbs & Nick Foleses.

Ask yourself why?

Wait. You want me to name all of the top tier HC's that would want to work for the Texans to disprove you're straw man argument?

There has been one HC vacancy for the Texans in the last decade. Do top tier coaches go on record and say something like "Boy, if I ever get tired of this gig, I'll want to work for the Texans"?

C'mon man, you're better than this.

Reactions: JB
I think Sashi told Hue, not now Hue. I manage, you coach

So the Browns are geniuses for the GM telling the coach I get the players you coach them.... but the Texans are idiots for doing the same thing? I have a real hard time following you most of the time.

237, now 238 post on some dude I never heard of. Should I be concerned? Do I need to read all this? Lol I really don't want to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On one hand, fourth year Juniors are in fact eligible to play in the Senior Bowl. On the other hand, Watson wasn't a fourth year Junior.

But I will defend SteelB's comment just a little bit - Had Watson decided to play in a game in which he was not eligible to participate, it would raise a red flag in my mind about his mental acuity. Therefore, there was some level of intelligence involved in "choosing" not to participate.

So the Browns are geniuses for the GM telling the coach I get the players you coach them.... but the Texans are idiots for doing the same thing? I have a real hard time following you most of the time.
Fuzzy you are still just a tad bit confused, while yes the Browns do have one single decision maker, the Texans on the other hand have a Boardroom consisting of a Butcher, a Baker and a Candlestick Maker.

Wow this is a shitton of testosterone for Watson, he must be good!!

Hopefully better than :cough:cough Blake Chortles. I mean Shnake Nortles ... I mean .. Ah forget about it.

Edit: ha pie in my face wrong thread whoops! Im still gonna leave it though

Wow this is a shitton of testosterone for Watson, he must be good!!

Hopefully better than :cough:cough Blake Chortles. I mean Shnake Nortles ... I mean .. Ah forget about it.

Edit: ha pie in my face wrong thread whoops! Im still gonna leave it though
I was just about to post my amazement that this hasn't devolved into a Watson thread. Keep throwing them balls over mountains, Jamarcus Russell. :kitten:

Wait. You want me to name all of the top tier HC's that would want to work for the Texans to disprove you're straw man argument?

There has been one HC vacancy for the Texans in the last decade. Do top tier coaches go on record and say something like "Boy, if I ever get tired of this gig, I'll want to work for the Texans"?

C'mon man, you're better than this.

We shall see after this season.

I like OB but I'm wondering if he's not a bit more to blame in for our current state then I originally thought. He comes across as an arrogant SOB, and perhaps he's causing some of his own problems

As I said I'm not a Smith fan, but saying we are going to be stuck with middling QB play is a bit of a stretch. No one knows how Watson will turn out. I can guarantee you no one thought Wilson was going to be a SB QB, no one thought Dan would do what he did last year. Let's give the kid a shot before we go all doom and gloom.

I don't know if you've ever coached a sport in the past, but I've coached at the collegiate level (not FB) and I can tell you the toughest thing to find is players that perform well in the clutch. I can teach an athlete sport skills, and I can make them stronger, faster, throw with more velocity etc.. but teaching someone how to be clutch is REALLY tough if not impossible.

I hope you're right

Back